Egyptian Diggers Song from Raiders

Abe Vayoda

"Oooh, I want Deli, we're digging in the sun. Oleo, and jelly, we're digging in the sun..." :p

Sorry, I don't know. But I've always wondered. :D

epicbadguy

Here is a rough translation:

Indiana, Doctor Jones...
Makes his living, Digging up old bones.
Find the treasure, save the day...
Then he beats up the BAD GUY so nobody thinks that he's gay!

Thanks to Larry Kingston, an audio tech at Epic with waaaay too much time on his hands.

epicbadguy

Thanks Roundshort,

We who have been with the show for some time have a multitude of songs that go with the different scenes. Kevin Rainsburger, one of our "Directors" (an acting role) has invented more songs than anyone...
One of his favorites is:
OH NO! Not this agaaaaaain!

He gets bored easily!

Mickiana

Sorry if this has been dealt with previously - I tried a search and found nothing - but regarding the song that the Egyptian diggers are singing in Raiders, especially on top of the Well of the Souls, does anyone know of a full version or translation? Like everyone else, I like the sound of it and I've often sung it in my head as I've toiled through laborious work, but of course I don't really know the words properly, let alone what it means. If anyone could help that would be much appreciated.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Sorry if this has been dealt with previously - I tried a search and found nothing - but regarding the song that the Egyptian diggers are singing in Raiders, especially on top of the Well of the Souls, does anyone know of a full version or translation? Like everyone else, I like the sound of it and I've often sung it in my head as I've toiled through laborious work, but of course I don't really know the words properly, let alone what it means. If anyone could help that would be much appreciated.

The question was asked, but I'm not sure if it was answered. ;)

Stoo

Courtesy of Annie Jones and Demitasse in the thread; Ep. 1: Curse of the Jackal:

AnnieJones said:
I found out some of the lyrics to the Tanis digger song from Raiders.

Egyptian diggers:Salle ala anabe.(Translation:O blessings on Muhammad.)Even though they aren't actually saying Muhammad's name,they have different ways to mention the blessings of their prophet.There is a second set of lyrics in that song,but you can hear it better in Raider's than you can in My First Adventure Part 1(A.K.A. Curse of the Jackal Part 1) and I'm not sure what they are singing.It's either Shahida(pronounced shah-hee-dah) which means "True witness" or just "Witness" or they are singing Tauheedah which means "Believing in one God".My friend couldn't translate that part for me considering my friend couldn't hear that part.I'm still waiting for my other contact to get in touch with me on the second set of lyrics.I promise to update this song later.
AnnieJones said:
I found out from Demitasse that the Egyptian digger's song lyrics are:

Salle/Pray or prayers
ala/upon
al-Nabi/the prophet

In other words what they are singing is "Prayers upon the Prophet".That would explain why my online Arabic speaking friend said(as I have posted on post #35)that the translation was "O blessings on Muhammad." Because even though they aren't actually saying the name Muhammad in that song,they have different ways to mention the blessings of their prophet.
P.S. Thanks to Laird Malamed, the song was also used in "Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal" during the digging in the Valley of Kings.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Courtesy of Annie Jones and Demitasse in the thread; Ep. 1: Curse of the Jackal:

P.S. Thanks to Laird Malamed, the song was also used in "Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal" during the digging in the Valley of Kings.

I remember reading that post. I suspected the nefarious epicbadguy to be lying (!) Should know never to trust the villain. :p

epicbadguy said:
Here is a rough translation:

Indiana, Doctor Jones...
Makes his living, Digging up old bones.
Find the treasure, save the day...
Then he beats up the BAD GUY so nobody thinks that he's gay!

Thanks to Larry Kingston, an audio tech at Epic with waaaay too much time on his hands.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
I suspected the nefarious epicbadguy to be lying (!)
Not only does his not even fit the song's metre, isn't even funny.:rolleyes:
Mickiana said:
Like everyone else, I like the sound of it and I've often sung it in my head as I've toiled through laborious work,
As do I, although sometimes the labour song from "Zulu" is much more satisfying in its intesity. (If you've seen the film, it's the one when the native levies are building the bridge.)

Lead: Zimu sumazin!
Gang: Zimu sumazin!
Lead: Zimu sumazin!
Gang: Zimu sumazin!
Lead: Sumazin!
Gang: Sumazin!
(repeat)
Mickiana said:
Thanks, guys.
Don't hand out the thanks yet, Mickey. I was just reposting what Annie had written but don't think it's the exact answer and a few words are missing.

Phonetically, this is what I hear:

Gang: Sol-ee-ah sel-ee
Lead: Wa hey-la hey-la
Lead: Ya-eb ow-ay
Lead: Hey-la hey-la

Maybe Goodeknight could help out since he actually lived in Cairo for a couple of years. If I picked up a dozen or so words/sayings in 10 days, surely he must have learned a whole lot more!

Mickiana

I have not even tried to figure out the phonetics properly just by listening to it. That was a good job, Stoo. I suppose we need an Egyptian or Muslim person to help translate. Any Middle Eastern Raven visitors out there?

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
Maybe Goodeknight could help out since he actually lived in Cairo for a couple of years. If I picked up a dozen or so words/sayings in 10 days, surely he must have learned a whole lot more!

Like many of you, I hum it to myself when I'm working sometimes. Can't translate the words, but I can say diggers and manual laborers do chant work songs in Egypt. Laborers are much cheaper than heavy machinery, so I once witnessed a road crew tearing up a big street by hand. No power tools at all. A few picks, and a shovel with a rope tied to it. One guy drove the shovel down, and three guys pulled the rope to move the rubble. (Four-manpower shovel) And they were chanting. So I've always thought of it as a traditional workman's chant. Perhaps one they recorded live in Tunisia with local extras.

Anyone know of a link to the clip online anywhere? I could send it to an Egyptian friend in Cairo.

This makes the most sense:

Originally Posted by Demitasse (?)
Salle/Pray or prayers
ala/upon
al-Nabi/the prophet
Salle/Pray or prayers
ala/upon
al-Nabi/the prophet
...and this is close as can be:
Stoo said:
Phonetically, this is what I hear:

Lead: Wa hey-la hey-la
Lead: Hey-la hey-la

Considering how we all pronounce things a might bit different, this is the ever so slight difference I hear and phonetically write:

Oh-lee Ah Nebi
Wa hey-da heya da
Oh-lee Ah Nebi
Yeb How-way
Oh-lee Ah Nebi
Hey-da hey-da
Oh-lee Ah Nebi
Yeb How-way
Oh-lee Ah Nebi

Stoo

mattzilla2010 said:
I do believe it's supposed to be sung to the tune of the Raiders March.
Ah, gotcha.:) It's still stupid, though.
Mickiana said:
I have not even tried to figure out the phonetics properly just by listening to it. That was a good job, Stoo. I suppose we need an Egyptian or Muslim person to help translate. Any Middle Eastern Raven visitors out there?
That's doubtful but one never knows. My friend married an Egyptian from Cairo (she's Coptic Christian). I can ask her next time we get together.

If any Arabic speaking members are lurking about, please speak up and help us solve this mystery!:whip:
goodeknight said:
Like many of you, I hum it to myself when I'm working sometimes. Can't translate the words, but I can say diggers and manual laborers do chant work songs in Egypt. Laborers are much cheaper than heavy machinery, so I once witnessed a road crew tearing up a big street by hand. No power tools at all. A few picks, and a shovel with a rope tied to it. One guy drove the shovel down, and three guys pulled the rope to move the rubble. (Four-manpower shovel) And they were chanting. So I've always thought of it as a traditional workman's chant. Perhaps one they recorded live in Tunisia with local extras.

Anyone know of a link to the clip online anywhere? I could send it to an Egyptian friend in Cairo.
Just realized that I work with a Tunisian guy so I'll sing it to him tomorrow and see what he makes of it.

I had my own experience with hearing Egyptian workers singing/chanting in Cairo. We were in a taxi going from Heliopolis to downtown and stuck in a traffic jam on the highway near Saladin's citadel. It was 2 days before President Obama was due to arrive and the roads were being cleaned for his visit. Not with machines but men. Teams of men with brooms!:eek: Our windows were open and we could hear them singing in unison as they swept the highway.

As for a "Raiders" clip online, I looked but couldn't find one. There is one from "Curse of the Jackal" on YouTube starting at 1:25. but it's mostly buried under other sounds. According to Laird Malamed (assistant sound director on Young Indy), the audio sample was taken from the one used in "Raiders" at his suggestion. They must have used a different portion of the recording since it's not exactly the same as "Raiders". Listen carefully at 1:36, there are different words!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz4Bzwvsl7Y
Rocket Surgeon said:
Considering how we all pronounce things a might bit different, this is the ever so slight difference I hear and phonetically write:

Oh-lee Ah Nebi
Wa hey-da heya da
Oh-lee Ah Nebi
Yeb How-way
Oh-lee Ah Nebi
Hey-da hey-da
Oh-lee Ah Nebi
Yeb How-way
Oh-lee Ah Nebi
Your "Oh-lee Ah Nebi" is probaby more correct so maybe I'm imagining the "s" sounds? (This reminds me of another, little story but it's so uber-nerdy, I'm too embarassed to tell.:eek:)

Pale Horse

Staff member
nice bump, I approve.

Carry on

Comb the dog hairy
itz a hairy beast
Comb the dog Harry
THEM COW PAY

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
nice bump, I approve.
For the record, Sir Horse, 'tis not a bump. It's a merge.;) (By Attila, I think.)

So can anyone phonetically decipher the extra words in the "Curse of Jackal" version?