Marion was only 15 when she had affair with Indy?!

Robyn

StoneTriple said:
I hope you're smarter than that, Ronicle.

Well I guess I put that wrong, I just want to know how into the details of Marion and Indy's relationship guys look rather than the action

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ronicle said:
Well I guess I put that wrong, I just want to know how into the details of Marion and Indy's relationship guys look rather than the action

There's a lot more fascinating relationships (and other non-action content) in the films than just what's going on between Indy and Marion.

ronicle said:
it can be hard to find a good read, you have to sift through them to find the really good ones, but there are some. Keep me updated if you go ahead with the your story(s)?

Maybe you can cut/paste your recommended content in a PM...?
Will send you a copy, of course.

ronicle said:

Will do...

ronicle said:
Just to try and get an idea of what Indy was feeling, did you at all feel attracted to this girl? I'm getting the idea she rather annoyed you lol

YEAH BABY! No just kidding, she had no experience to speak of and wanted to escape the petty silliness of the mean girls who were wrapped up in themselves and the trappings of the age. It was fun to watch her gears turn as she re-thought first impressions. I felt sorry for her more than annoyed. She was a cute little girl who was figuring things out...and needed to focus on more important things. Those opportunities would present themselves to her later, and with a peer.

Although it was pretty cool to know someone had a crush on me...however superficial.

Attila the Professor said:
There's a lot more fascinating relationships (and other non-action content) in the films than just what's going on between Indy and Marion.

...for instance?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robyn

You might find this hard to believe but Marion and Indy happen to be my favorite couple ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
...for instance?

Well, first off, I'm not saying "much more fascinating," I'm saying "a lot more fascinating,"; which is to say that there are other fascinating relationships and to suggest not only that men are missing out on what's there other than that action but that the only thing there other than the action is Indy & Marion is frankly a bit disappointing.

Anyhow, for instance, to take just from <I>Raiders</I>: Indy and Belloq, Indy and Marcus, Marcus's history himself, the dynamic between the three lead villains, and the theme of obsession that runs through the film (and is carried through the other 3 films very nicely indeed.) Also, the sand motif.

ronicle said:
You might find this hard to believe but Marion and Indy happen to be my favorite couple ;)

I don't find it hard to believe, and I don't find it wink-worthy either; I'm just saying there's other relationships. There's also relationships other than romantic ones.

Well, first off, I'm not saying "much more fascinating," I'm saying "a lot more fascinating,"

THAT is facinating! Don't get me wrong, but this is the Marion Indy thread...

; which is to say that there are other fascinating relationships and to suggest not only that men are missing out on what's there other than that action but that the only thing there other than the action is Indy & Marion is frankly a bit disappointing.

I had to read that one out loud and I'm still not 100% getting it...I'm at about 95% right now.

Anyhow, for instance, to take just from <I>Raiders</I>: Indy and Belloq, Indy and Marcus, Marcus's history himself, the dynamic between the three lead villains, and the theme of obsession that runs through the film (and is carried through the other 3 films very nicely indeed.) Also, the sand motif.

Sand motif?

I don't find it hard to believe, and I don't find it wink-worthy either;
If I were the type to read tone into text I'd say you've got a bug up your...but I'm not. The type that is...to read tone into text.

I'm just saying there's other relationships. There's also relationships other than romantic ones.

There are definitely other relationships...yes, there are. Other. Relationships.

Don't get too riled up, I'm laughing...hope you are too.

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
Maybe you can cut/paste your recommended content in a PM...?
Will send you a copy, of course.

Thanks and yep I'll send you a PM!

Rocket Surgeon said:
YEAH BABY! No just kidding, she had no experience to speak of and wanted to escape the petty silliness of the mean girls who were wrapped up in themselves and the trappings of the age. It was fun to watch her gears turn as she re-thought first impressions. I felt sorry for her more than annoyed. She was a cute little girl who was figuring things out...and needed to focus on more important things. Those opportunities would present themselves to her later, and with a peer.

Although it was pretty cool to know someone had a crush on me...however superficial.

These posts were really fun btw, thanks rocket!

[Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I don't find it hard to believe, and I don't find it wink-worthy either;]

Rocket Surgeon said:
If I were the type to read tone into text I'd say you've got a bug up your...but I'm not. The type that is...

There are definitely other relationships...yes, there are. Other. Relationships.

Don't get too riled up, I'm laughing...hope you are too.

Wow I was thinking the same thing, I wasn't trying to **** you off attila, take it easy!

Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Well, first off, I'm not saying "much more fascinating," I'm saying "a lot more fascinating,"

THAT is facinating! Don't get me wrong, but this is the Marion Indy thread...

That's what I thought too

Quote:
; which is to say that there are other fascinating relationships and to suggest not only that men are missing out on what's there other than that action but that the only thing there other than the action is Indy & Marion is frankly a bit disappointing.

I had to read that one out loud and I'm still not 100% getting it...I'm at about 95% right now.

I'm not getting this one either...

Quote:
Anyhow, for instance, to take just from Raiders: Indy and Belloq, Indy and Marcus, Marcus's history himself, the dynamic between the three lead villains, and the theme of obsession that runs through the film (and is carried through the other 3 films very nicely indeed.) Also, the sand motif.

Sand motif?

hmm.. sand motif...

Last edited by a moderator:
ronicle said:
Thanks and yep I'll send you a PM!

These posts were really fun btw, thanks rocket!

Yeah, you still haveto give up a little more yourself, text tease. There's too much Y Chromosome here...readers,(especially on THIS Thread) need to hear more female voices.

I'd have said testosterone, do I have to say why I didn't?

You're not getting off that easy...what do you think about what Indy did?

StoneTriple

ronicle said:
You may not have been around when we were first posting our thoughts on Kingdom. Here's my original review, if you care to read it;
http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=343155&postcount=1146

Or, just this quote from it;
I'm a big fan of the quieter, more cerebral aspects of all the films - the character interaction, the dialogue scenes, etc. The action is always exciting, but never what I ponder when I think about the films.

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
Yeah, you still haveto give up a little more yourself, text tease. There's too much Y Chromosome here...readers,(especially on THIS Thread) need to hear more female voices.

I'd have said testosterone, do I have to say why I didn't?

You're not getting off that easy...what do you think about what Indy did?

ha you're right you did give more than your share of guy input

Well there's always that idea that the younger one is getting taken advantage of.. and it's normally the right idea for the older one to resist and push away the underager.. but I think Indy did try and push her away and resist her but like you said there was probably that moment of weakness, when Indy said "I never meant to hurt you" I really believe he meant that, and he might of even married her back then if not for Abner.. so I don't feel anything bad towards Indy for what he did or Marion, they just simply couldn't resist each other..

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ronicle said:
No I didn't catch that review, it's good to hear reviews from guys like you

Why does this have to be about men and women? For every guy who's fixated on the action, there's a gal who's fixated on Harrison Ford. I don't think we should be patting either set on the back, so why single out one sex for missing the point?

Robyn

Why does this have to be about men and women? For every guy who's fixated on the action, there's a gal who's fixated on Harrison Ford. I don't think we should be patting either set on the back, so why single out one sex for missing the point?

It's just fun to see how men and women view things differently, but you do have a point

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
What's the point?

I'm guessing his point is that there are *some* men out there who have the same views as women and visa versa.. but although I see what he's trying to say, I myself don't view things from a guys point of view so I really enjoy hearing how guys view certain things, such as getting to know better how Indy must have felt having a teenager come on to him and eventually falling for her

well anyways attila if that wasn't what you were trying to say then I guess I don't see your point because, *most* men and women have very different point of views and it's fun hearing both sides

ronicle said:
I'm guessing his point is that there are *some* men out there who have the same views as women and visa versa..

It seemed to me he was reading into the post as though you were making an unequivocal sweeping generalization rather than discussing a single aspect that appealed to you...and ended up comming off as persecuted.

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
It seemed to me he was reading into the post as though you were making an unequivocal sweeping generalization rather than discussing a single aspect that appealed to you...and ended up comming off as persecuted.

I think maybe he was, some people seem to get hostile around here for no reason...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Rocket Surgeon said:
Thanks for the response, always a good thing to get the female perspective...especially in a (up to now) predominantly one sided conversation.

"I LEARNED TO HATE YOU IN THE PAST TEN YEARS"

Worth mentioning is her response to Indy when he said you knew what you were doing.

NOW I DO

But in the way men percieve women...she says one thing but does another;

THIS IS MY PLACE...GET OUT

She DID send Mohan away.

Perhaps she was showing her independence and probably didn't want Mohan around to hear all the goings-on. And in any case, it could have been the end of Mohan's shift work at the Raven and she sent him home (in any case, maybe if anyone can translate what Marion says specifically maybe it will be easier to read into?), showing that Indy isn't trouble and she can take care of him, herself. I guess she's trying to a "I'm a big girl now" kind of act.

Even though, she likely did know what she was doing at 15/16, she still got hurt because of geniune feelings and with the "big girl" act, she attempts to show that she won't get herself into trouble again by not falling into Indy's arms (of course, that "big girl" act does come crashing down by the end of the film, and obviously, by KOTCS too, however it doesn't mean that she isn't tough and independent, she just loves Indy and essentially, he's her kryptonite).

Violet Indy said:
Perhaps she was showing her independence and probably didn't want Mohan around to hear all the goings-on. And in any case, it could have been the end of Mohan's shift work at the Raven and she sent him home (in any case, maybe if anyone can translate what Marion says specifically maybe it will be easier to read into?), showing that Indy isn't trouble and she can take care of him, herself. I guess she's trying to a "I'm a big girl now" kind of act.

Even though, she likely did know what she was doing at 15/16, she still got hurt because of geniune feelings and with the "big girl" act, she attempts to show that she won't get herself into trouble again by not falling into Indy's arms (of course, that "big girl" act does come crashing down by the end of the film, and obviously, by KOTCS too, however it doesn't mean that she isn't tough and independent, she just loves Indy and essentially, he's her kryptonite).

My point was she told Mohan to go and he went, she told Indy to go and he stayed. Trying to bring out the way guys talk about girls...say one thing mean another. The old joke about perception, she said; No, DON'T, go! he heard; No, don't go.

I don't think she drops the big girl act...I think she's just as Independent as ever, with the cash EVEN MORE SO! I like to think it's the romantic in her to try again with a first love, on her terms without daddy dearest around.

The world is her oyster! Screw the comics books for burning her new place down...even if Indy was the only one to get insurance.

yes, he's her kryptonite!

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
My point was she told Mohan to go and he went, she told Indy to go and he stayed. Trying to bring out the way guys talk about girls...say one thing mean another. The old joke about perception, she said; No, DON'T, go! he heard; No, don't go.

I don't think she drops the big girl act...I think she's just as Independent as ever, with the cash EVEN MORE SO! I like to think it's the romantic in her to try again with a first love, on her terms without daddy dearest around.

The world is her oyster! Screw the comics books for burning her new place down...even if Indy was the only one to get insurance.

yes, he's her kryptonite!

This is why I love hearing the guys point of you! I loved it when Marion told him to get out and he stays! I agree about Marion's independence, she always finds a way to be in control of the situation, probably the only time she let it down for a minute was the snake pit when she tells him not to touch her and then clings to him lol (love that part btw!) I don't think she drops the big girl act either but only later deciding to drop the "I hate you" act and show him that she still loves him..

I absolutely agree about the comics, it pissed me off to no end that they burned her nightclub down!