Does anyone pretend KOTCS didn't happen?

Matt deMille

I'm glad to hear more people liking Kingdom. And Temple. I really think Temple always got a bad rap because everyone jumped on the "Ford and Connery work great together so Crusade must be superior" bandwagon, which pushed Temple into a sort of bastard-child position. When I learned of the basic elements of Kingdom (Russians, aliens, etc) I was RELIEVED. Some of my friends moaned and groaned about how without Nazis it's gonna suck ("Like Temple . . ." they'd say), but I said variety is better. Kingdom offers a lot of stuff the other movies don't have. I'm glad to hear more people coming around to liking it and welcoming it into the canon.

Montana Smith

Matt deMille said:
I'm glad to hear more people liking Kingdom. And Temple. I really think Temple always got a bad rap because everyone jumped on the "Ford and Connery work great together so Crusade must be superior" bandwagon, which pushed Temple into a sort of bastard-child position. When I learned of the basic elements of Kingdom (Russians, aliens, etc) I was RELIEVED. Some of my friends moaned and groaned about how without Nazis it's gonna suck ("Like Temple . . ." they'd say), but I said variety is better. Kingdom offers a lot of stuff the other movies don't have. I'm glad to hear more people coming around to liking it and welcoming it into the canon.

I also liked the variety - that TOD was so different to ROTLA. It showed that at that time Lucas and co weren't afraid to put Indy into a compelely different setting, and without the formula that ROTLA could so easily have provided. TLC did return to the original formula, with the framework of the university and the return of Marcus and Sallah. Which is maybe why TLC also got an easier ride with the audience.

KOTCS took the forumla and ran with it, but it fell short. It had so much promise that was either undeveloped, or worse, over-developed.

Wilhelm

I think KOTCS plays with the original formula, but inverting it. It begins in the warehouse and with the opening of a crate with soldiers like the ending of "Raiders", and then Indy didn't travel outside America to Europe or Asia, but he travels inside the continent with an action scene in the University for the first time. (Mutt interrupts his travel to London - Leipzig).

It's the opposite of TOD where we don't see the University scene but the character in a complete new environment.

QBComics

I can't really say. I loved KOTCS when it first came out, but since then I've matured a lot more and seen the difference between a good movie and a bad movie. The first half, in my opinion was pretty spectacular. The fights, the atmosphere, everything just seemed right. However once they reach the jungle it started to go downhill.

The monkeys, and the ridiculous crotch shots with Shia really pulled me out of the film. The car over the cliff, Mac's death, and how the movie dragged in the temple were poorly handled, in my opinion. I didn't mind the waterfalls or the aliens, because I thought those aspects were well done.

So I try not to forget the whole thing, just parts of it. As an optimist, I just try to think of those as slip ups.

Montana Smith

QBComics said:
I can't really say. I loved KOTCS when it first came out, but since then I've matured a lot more and seen the difference between a good movie and a bad movie. The first half, in my opinion was pretty spectacular. The fights, the atmosphere, everything just seemed right. However once they reach the jungle it started to go downhill.

The monkeys, and the ridiculous crotch shots with Shia really pulled me out of the film. The car over the cliff, Mac's death, and how the movie dragged in the temple were poorly handled, in my opinion. I didn't mind the waterfalls or the aliens, because I thought those aspects were well done.

So I try not to forget the whole thing, just parts of it. As an optimist, I just try to think of those as slip ups.

I think I agree with your verdict. KOTCS had some fantastic scenes and ideas (I loved Doom Town), but the jungle held most of the disappointments for me.

I can live with the gratuitious Spalko crotch shots, but the waterfalls were maybe two too many!

DeepSixFix

If you truly wished KOTCK to never have happened, why would you be posting here? Wouldn't you post on a forum of a movie you did like?

Montana Smith said:
I can live with the gratuitious Spalko crotch shots, but the waterfalls were maybe two too many!

Lucas has matured.

He's gone from perverting his films into toy adverts to perverting his films into theme park rides...

Three times it drops log flume anyone?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Lucas has matured.

He's gone from perverting his films into toy adverts to perverting his films into theme park rides...

Three times it drops log flume anyone?

Is there a Spalko ride, too? I wouldn't mind having a go on that one. ;)

Gabeed

DeepSixFix said:
If you truly wished KOTCK to never have happened, why would you be posting here? Wouldn't you post on a forum of a movie you did like?

Whoops, I didn't know The Raven is solely a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull forum.

Montana Smith said:
Is there a Spalko ride, too? I wouldn't mind having a go on that one. ;)
Sure, a ride that shackles you in surrounded by people you don't like, talks you to death, teases you, leaving your brain fried and your boots empty.