Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #601
singsingjohnny
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
Funny you should ask, I have this exact custom in the works! I picked up some brass tubing at Hobby Lobby and a length of dowel rod that fits perfectly inside it. I plan on cutting the rings from the brass tubing and making the poles from the dowel. I thought of tapering the ends using maybe a pencil sharpener, but your idea of using skewers may be easier. Anyway, I gathered all of the materials, just need to get started. Will have pics in a few days hopefully.

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see it. Good idea for a custom you guys!

Quote:
Singsingjohnny, if you would like me to send you the decals I made for the sidecar, just PM me your e-mail address and I will be happy to send them to you.

ALRIGHT! Thanks man...PM sent!
singsingjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #602
Billy Ray
IndyFan

I know this post is useless without pics but, I started work on my Ark today. The brass tubing I got for the rings is a perfect match with the color of the Ark! I am still working on the poles, the dowel will work just fine. I will post pics soon.
Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #603
singsingjohnny
IndyFan

Can't wait to see it!

Any chance you could send the sidecar decals? I'm gonna work on it tonight, I'd love to see them on it! Sorry to bug you!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #604
The Golden Idol
IndyFan

Quote:
I know this post is useless without pics but, I started work on my Ark today. The brass tubing I got for the rings is a perfect match with the color of the Ark! I am still working on the poles, the dowel will work just fine. I will post pics soon.

Post pics soon! I really want to make this custom!
The Golden Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #605
ddschneider1972
IndyFan

Altar of Kali

I was at the grocery store after work and found a pretty good skull candle to use for my planned Altar of Kali....

Being wax it'll be easy to modify, but I can't light it up, lol.

Last edited by ddschneider1972 : 10-29-2008 at 06:26 PM.
ddschneider1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #606
The Golden Idol
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddschneider1972
I was at the grocery store after work and found a pretty good skull candle to use for my planned Altar of Kali....

Being wax it'll be easy to modify, but I can't light it up, lol.

Awesome! You should mod it a little though, especially the jaw area. Looks great!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #607
oliverjones18
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D
That really does resemble Brody. His hair is a little slicked back, though. It makes it look wet. Did you alter the head in any way besides the hair?
no offense dude but this looks more like Paulie from Rocky lol
oliverjones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #608
ddschneider1972
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Idol
Awesome! You should mod it a little though, especially the jaw area. Looks great!

Yea, there will be some modifications eventually...I have a whole list of custom projects and so little time! I picked up a GIJOE skeleton off ebay for a knights tomb also...
ddschneider1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #609
Mike D
IndyFan

Oxley

Hey,

Check this out! If your thinking about doing an Oxley custom you can do a lot worse than this head:

http://trigatecreations.com/store/in..._image&pID=192

It's a dead ringer for John Hurt- of course he'd need some work to make him look like Oxley- rough him up a bit, but you know... I thought I'd share the find!
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #610
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D
That really does resemble Brody. His hair is a little slicked back, though. It makes it look wet. Did you alter the head in any way besides the hair?

"Hey Rocco you screwing my sister?"

Sorry man I could not resist
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #611
Toht Luck
IndyFan

From the same site that Mike D pointed out...

Too bad it's sold out.
Toht Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #612
singsingjohnny
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht Luck
From the same site that Mike D pointed out...

Too bad it's sold out.

I think that's a cast of THIS figure's head...hard to say...
Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #613
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by singsingjohnny
Can't wait to see it!

Any chance you could send the sidecar decals? I'm gonna work on it tonight, I'd love to see them on it! Sorry to bug you!

Did I not sned them to you??? Man, I am sorry, I could have sworn I did. I'll get them to you as soon as I get home.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #614
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by singsingjohnny
I think that's a cast of THIS figure's head...hard to say...

No, this version -

Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #615
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Lmao Scarlet
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #616
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Idol
Post pics soon! I really want to make this custom!

I actually finished it last night and took pics. Will post them as soon as I get home from work. My wife says it looks good, but I'm not completely satisfied with the way the poles came out. I may redo them sometime down the road. The rings worked out pretty nicely though.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #617
singsingjohnny
IndyFan

Quote:
Did I not sned them to you??? Man, I am sorry, I could have sworn I did. I'll get them to you as soon as I get home.

Thanks man, I appreciate it!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #618
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Ok, here is my Ark. Like I said, I am not completely happy with the poles. I think they should be longer for starters and, though I really tried hard, I couldn't get the red/yellow part to look very good. It was done by wrapping thread around the poles...sounded like a good idea at the time I might try again with some ribbon or something. Anyway, here it is.

BTW, the Raiders Indy came with my Akator playset...it has the best paint apps I have seen on this figure!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #619
Kevin
IndyFan

I think the whole thing, including the red and gold thread, look fantastic, nice job!

What size brass tubing did you use, and how did you cut it?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #620
The Golden Idol
IndyFan

Quote:
Ok, here is my Ark. Like I said, I am not completely happy with the poles. I think they should be longer for starters and, though I really tried hard, I couldn't get the red/yellow part to look very good. It was done by wrapping thread around the poles...sounded like a good idea at the time I might try again with some ribbon or something. Anyway, here it is.

BTW, the Raiders Indy came with my Akator playset...it has the best paint apps I have seen on this figure!

Not bad, Billy Ray! Can you tell me exactly what you used for the rings? How did you attach them? I would cut them in half (in width) to be more screen acccurate (look at the photo below), but that's a really good first attempt. How come Hasbro made the Ark without any rings? It always has them in the movie. For the poles, I would have used bamboo skewers, as they are thinner and more accurate scale-wise to the real Ark poles. As for the red/yellow design in the middle, I have the actual design on my computer. PM me if you want the design.

Last edited by The Golden Idol : 10-30-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #621
Mike D
IndyFan

Quote:

Hey, that's pretty cool! I'm gonna give that a shot. How did you attach the brass rods? I agree that the wood stalves could be a bit thinner and if you had a paper printout of the fabric pattern to wrap around them it would probably look a bit closer to the original, but don't be so hard on yourself- this was a balsey custom and I think the results are quite satisfying... heck , you've inspired me!

Great job!

Mike D
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #622
Lambonius
IndyFan

Looks great, Billy Ray!! I may just have to give that a shot as well. Overall it looks really good being carried by Indy and Sallah, even if it isn't 100% screen accurate. I personally think the wrapped thread looks really nice; I would probably choose the textured look of the thread over the more accurate paper printout, but maybe that's just me. The width of the poles looks fine to me, too.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #623
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Thanks everyone for your kinds words. The size of the brass tubing is 7/32 X .014. I got it at Hobby Lobby. I cut it with a Dremel. Looking at that side on image that Golden Idol posted, I now realize they are way to wide I was using the pic in the latest issue of the Indy magazine for reference which shows the ark at an angle. Oh well, not a major issue fo r me.

I mounted the rings the old fashioned way...Super Glue. I had envisioned the yellow/red patterned part looking much nicer, but it was a pain the @$$ wrapping that thread by hand. I really like the concept, but I don't think I had the patience to really make it look good...it was pretty frustrating as it was, I had to keep unwinding and rewinding...maybe I will give it another go with the thread or another material, but I am also going to make a set of poles with the pattern that Golden Idol sent me (thanks again)
Old 10-31-2008, 04:38 AM   #624
glorbes
IndyFan

The Ark mods are great! It really improves the look of the accessory by a considerable amount. I may have to borrow this idea
glorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:18 AM   #625
Goonie
IndyFan

Quote:

Nice work Billy Ray. Now if only Hasbro would've given us a 12" Sallah so I could recreate this scene with my 12" Indy and 12" Ark.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote