Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #1751
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAZAFANTASMA
I was stung by the "mego bug" a few months ago, Mego figures are smaller 1/10 scale figures, 9 inches tall, they where released in the late 70s I think.
Welcome back, my fellow Montrealer. Weren't MEGO figures 8 inches? Anyway, they were around for pretty much all of the 1970s. I had a bunch of their "Planet of the Apes" line in '74-'75. After the "Star Wars" figures came out in 1978, the MEGO size quickly fell out of fashion and those types weren't available for much longer. (Mind you, I'm not an expert on this subject and am only speaking from experience.)

Great job on Henry Sr.'s head, by the way!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #1752
AC_in_SD
IndyFan

This is exciting! I'm glad to see some activity back in these parts. Time to make a meager contribution of my own.

I know this particular mod isn't very original, but as I've never seen it done with this exact head, here goes:
 photo indy1.jpg

I've seen variations of this in several places. The body is a Wolverine Origins Logan. The arms, jacket, and accessories come from a ROTLA Indy (I think), and the head is from one of the TOD figures that had such excellent sculpts. Oh yeah, and he gets his gloved hands from a Star Wars VOTC Rebel Trooper.

photo Indy2.jpg

Last edited by AC_in_SD : 06-07-2013 at 09:27 PM.
AC_in_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #1753
CAZAFANTASMA
IndyFan

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!
CAZAFANTASMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #1754
hemble
IndyFan

Great looking figure.

Ron
hemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #1755
Exulted Unicron
IndyFan

while not figures, I've done some vehicles

"FASTER BOY....FASTER!"

Zvezda 15mm Messerchmitt 109

"NICE TRY LAO CHE!"

Zvezda 15mm Junkers JU-52
Exulted Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #1756
AC_in_SD
IndyFan

Cool! Taking it another direction with the vehicles. I like it.

Ron, thanks for the compliment, but I have a long way to go before anything I do compares with your amazing dio work. I love that mine cart! Any idea if inky_skin is still making those? I would give my right eye for a mine cart of my own to toy with.

I have one more completed piece that I'm pretty proud of and one that's half finished and will be until I get a part I need in the mail. I'll probably get pics of the finished piece up Monday.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #1757
Exulted Unicron
IndyFan

yeah. I was in a model shop and I saw those 15mm models. They are in the same scale as MOST of the Titaniums. Mainly the Flying Wing, the Cargo Truck, Vogel's Tank, the LC Biplane and the Jungle Cutter. They come with a black display stand, so I thought they'd make excellent customs to fit alongside them
Exulted Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #1758
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_in_SD
Cool! Taking it another direction with the vehicles. I like it.

Ron, thanks for the compliment, but I have a long way to go before anything I do compares with your amazing dio work. I love that mine cart! Any idea if inky_skin is still making those? I would give my right eye for a mine cart of my own to toy with.

I have one more completed piece that I'm pretty proud of and one that's half finished and will be until I get a part I need in the mail. I'll probably get pics of the finished piece up Monday.

I own a set of Inky's carts and they are awesome. Pics of them very soon to come. I am missing my left eye and from experience, and being a owner of a bunch of Inky's brilliant work, I say keep the eye and offer him some cash instead.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #1759
AC_in_SD
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
I own a set of Inky's carts and they are awesome. Pics of them very soon to come. I am missing my left eye and from experience, and being a owner of a bunch of Inky's brilliant work, I say keep the eye and offer him some cash instead.

Ha! Well said. I'm pretty new to the whole scene. Should I just send a pm, or does he have a web store, or a sales thread, or something?

Exulted Unicron, I would think that those minis would lend themselves very well to some kind of diorama. I imagine the Junker moving over a map of Asia with a red line trailing behind it to mark Indy's travels...
Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #1760
hemble
IndyFan

Hi All,

Exulted Unicron - the vehicles look good we don't get to see to many Indy vehicles around.

AC_in_SD - I appreciate the kind words thank you. Send inky a PM and ask him about the carts he is a great guy and his work is amazing.

Ron
Old 06-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #1761
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Ha! Well said. I'm pretty new to the whole scene. Should I just send a pm, or does he have a web store, or a sales thread, or something?

Exulted Unicron, I would think that those minis would lend themselves very well to some kind of diorama. I imagine the Junker moving over a map of Asia with a red line trailing behind it to mark Indy's travels...

Send him a PM. He is a definitely a great guy and very talented.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #1762
AC_in_SD
IndyFan

Thanks hemble, Henry W Jones -- I'll do that.

So...here's the figure concept that first got me interested in this hobby and that led me to your board: White Tux Indy!

photo Indy1.jpg

photo Indy2-1.jpg

I figure there's no point in posting images of customs that have already been done before and better unless I have something new to offer. Most of the Indy customs I've seen are made from parts that are now 3 and 4 years old, so I figure mine is at least different in that it's based on newer pieces.

The body is a Marvel Universe series Professor X. The head is Sandstorm Han Solo that I lucked into at my local flea market. I thought the head sculpt showed a great likeness to Harrison Ford ( he even has a bit of that, "the-deal-was-for-the-diamond" smirk), although the hair did require a decent amount of resculpting.

photo whitetux.jpg

The onscreen dinner jacket had more of cream/ivory color than just a stark white. I think mine is a bit too yellow, so I reserve the right to redo this figure if I find the right parts.

Thanks for looking!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #1763
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Alright!!!!!

A new custom and an EXCELLENT one at that!

Bravo, this is great work.

I have one of those Marvel universe figures and I have been thinking of trying to make a Tuxedo Indy with it just as you have here. Great, great job! The painting is terrific and the head is a wonderful choice with some wonderful sculpting.

however.......

Don't be so cocky about the supposed "newness" of your source figure.

While the Marvel Universe Professor X figure is technically "new", it is simply a repaint of Hasbro's 2009 SDCC Exclusive James "Destro" McCullen XXIV figure -

Which, of course, takes MANY of its body parts from Hasbro's 2008 SDCC Exclusive Cobra Commander in the black suit -

....which, as everyone on this board knows, was just a slightly modified repaint of the at-the-time unreleased Toht figure, which we finally did get in 2011 -

So that Toht figure was cannibalized for two different GI Joe figures before it was even released and one of those Joes was used entirely for Professor X (minus the new head, of course).

So basically your parts are at least as old as 2009, but the arms and lower legs date from 2008!

BUT your custom is really excellent and I'm delighted you shared it! Terrific work all around, you've inspired me to take a crack at doing one myself - even though I am terrible at painting and it will never look this good!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #1764
inky_skin
IndyFan

AC - that is some REALLY nice work there. Carry on !
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #1765
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Some of inky skins carts and track he made for me. Thanks Again.

mine carts

Untitled

More of inky's work.

Untitled

Untitled

These are from a guy I met on ebay, Indy Raider. He is a member here and only posted once.

Untitled

Willie as well

Untitled

Sallah is from Indy Raider and Marcus is from inky.

Untitled

More to come.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #1766
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Great showcase of some spectacular work!

I believe I stumbled onto Indy Raider's website late one night a few months ago.

If he's the same guy I'm thinking of, he has DOZENS of phenomenal Indy customs.

I think I sent him an email telling him to post his customs around the forums.

Alas, I guess it never happened.

Gorgeous work from Inky, too (as usual!!)

Also, I notice some In N Out burger glasses in your collection! Whoo!

I picked up two of 'em not too long ago, as well. I have the raft and the Mola Ram one, never saw the Indy/machete one before! Very cool!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #1767
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
Great showcase of some spectacular work!

I believe I stumbled onto Indy Raider's website late one night a few months ago.

If he's the same guy I'm thinking of, he has DOZENS of phenomenal Indy customs.

I think I sent him an email telling him to post his customs around the forums.

Alas, I guess it never happened.

Gorgeous work from Inky, too (as usual!!)

Also, I notice some In N Out burger glasses in your collection! Whoo!

I picked up two of 'em not too long ago, as well. I have the raft and the Mola Ram one, never saw the Indy/machete one before! Very cool!

Here is all 4 glasses.

Untitled

Untitled

The Katanga and Marion are inky's creations as well

Untitled

The backdrop is made by foreverwingnut and the Temple Priest along with the alter for the Sankara Stones that lights up are again the talented inky skin

Untitled
Old 06-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #1768
hemble
IndyFan

Hi All,

AC_in_SD - Stunning looking tuxedo Indy mate you did one hell of a job on him well done indeed.

Henry W Jones - Awesome collection mate and inky does brillant as always.

Ron
Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #1769
AC_in_SD
IndyFan

Thanks to everyone for the kind words (and to Lance Quazar for the history lesson ). I knew most of that at some point, but I'd forgotten a lot. I guess by "new" I meant "I haven't seen anybody else use it yet."

I have the SDCC Cobra Commander sitting in a box. I've been debating for months whether to open him up and try and make a Toht or not. I have tickets to this year's Con, so I'm hoping either to scoop up another one, or even better, one of the Lost Wave figures.

Henry W Jones, that is a STUNNING collection! I've always dreamed that someday I'll have the space to set up a ledge around a room in my house to run a model train (I'm not really a model train guy, but I think they look cool). Immediately, I started imaging one of those mine carts looping around the room instead. I have zero idea if this is even possible, but it's free to dream.

inky_skin, I've always enjoyed your work. Thanks for noticing my little contribution.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #1770
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the kind words (and to Lance Quazar for the history lesson ). I knew most of that at some point, but I'd forgotten a lot. I guess by "new" I meant "I haven't seen anybody else use it yet."

I have the SDCC Cobra Commander sitting in a box. I've been debating for months whether to open him up and try and make a Toht or not. I have tickets to this year's Con, so I'm hoping either to scoop up another one, or even better, one of the Lost Wave figures.

Henry W Jones, that is a STUNNING collection! I've always dreamed that someday I'll have the space to set up a ledge around a room in my house to run a model train (I'm not really a model train guy, but I think they look cool). Immediately, I started imaging one of those mine carts looping around the room instead. I have zero idea if this is even possible, but it's free to dream.

inky_skin, I've always enjoyed your work. Thanks for noticing my little contribution.

Thanks for the compliment on my collection. I don't have the space, I just do it anyways. Also, I would go on ebay to get that Toht figure. He is a little pricey, but far easier than to get there than hoping to get lucky at Comic-Con. Last time I checked he was under $50.

Just searched ebay and he is not a available right now
Old 08-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #1771
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Tremendous work on those customs, Indy Raider, inky skin, and AC in SD! The sheer ingenuity, creativity, and talent often displayed on this thread is almost staggering!!!
I am so tempted to jump into the customizing ranks with you guys, but I can't justify (at least right now, as I have more important hobbies to pursue), the time, and money that I could/would potentially spend to fill in those glaring omissions still remaining in the Hasbro Indy line. I would probably be hooked!
Also a deterrent is how swept up I became in buying up product when Hasbro Indy, was off and running! Although, I've learned to practice more restraint when it came to collecting the Star Wars Vintage line, but only because I absolutely had to! Just what I need, another wave of blowing money on more figures. Still I would probably not regret it!
On the other hand, I still have plenty of Hasbro Indy, and Star Wars to pilfer from, for any customizing endeavors!

Don't know if it's been suggested yet, but I thought I might bring a certain action figure to all you customizers' attention. Don't know if anybody on this page has considered using him yet, but something about Hasbro SW figure Ric Ollie, seems to lend itself to the Indy World!
Don't know if it's the widow's peak hair (that could be repainted to make him look balder), or his relatively basic, non-galactic looking clothing (especially the lower half), but he looks like he might have potential for a great German Commander, that tried to run Indy over during the Truck Chase in Raiders.
At least, he could make for a great alternate German Soldier. And he seems to be a prominent peg warmer (big shocker), so he will probably be easy to pick up soon.

Has anybody here given this toy a new lease on life yet? If not, might be worth it. And if you have, please show us how you've used it.
Sea Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #1772
indyclone25
IndyFan

i don't know if this qualifies as customizing , but you can buy the 12 inch sized lone ranger horse at the Disney store for 14.99 , you can than die the mane black to be the horse Indy rode in raiders ? or color the entire horse black for last crusade. i will be buying a few next week .....
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #1773
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
Here is all 4 glasses.

Thanks for the pics. I have seen the others on ebay and ALMOST bought some more by accident.

Truth is, as a Southern California resident, I ONLY want the In N Out Burger versions.

So I was lucky enough to find two. Not interested in the other regional franchise versions. I'll have to be patient.

Still, very cool looking items!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #1774
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:

Oh, no, you definitely deserve points for originality here! Absolutely. Great custom and very imaginative use of source parts.

You've inspired me. I am going to (at some point...) take a crack at a Tuxedo Indy. I have most of the parts I need.

Going to use the Professor X jacket/vest combo. The Black Suit cobra commander legs, and, for arms, this star wars figure -

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?i...k/TLC-1424.jpg

(Since I don't like having to paint joints and these are the best white arms I can find)

Just not sure on the torso yet. The indy figures' "unbuttoned" style really wouldn't work. So I'm trying to find a good alternate. That's the final piece of the puzzle!

Thanks again for sharing your great custom!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #1775
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyclone25
i don't know if this qualifies as customizing , but you can buy the 12 inch sized lone ranger horse at the Disney store for 14.99 , you can than die the mane black to be the horse Indy rode in raiders ? or color the entire horse black for last crusade. i will be buying a few next week .....

Scale would be a problem if it's for 1/6:

"Hi ho...wtf?"

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote