TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #1776
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyclone25
i don't know if this qualifies as customizing , but you can buy the 12 inch sized lone ranger horse at the Disney store for 14.99 , you can than die the mane black to be the horse Indy rode in raiders ? or color the entire horse black for last crusade. i will be buying a few next week .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Scale would be a problem if it's for 1/6:

"Hi ho...wtf?"

Montana Smith read my mind. I take it, indyclone25, that you have the larger scale Indy line in mind? Curious, is that about the right size for the larger scale?

Since you mention an interest in compatible horses, indyclone25, if you're looking for horses in the 3 3/4" scale Indy, and have not seen these yet, I reccomend the Mcfarlane Toys Prince of Persia Horse, that has even been referenced on the collecting Indy thread a few years back.
They are far from perfect, and static in poseability, but not a bad place to start for that size scale.

Montana Smith, regarding the "hi ho wtf?" statement you made, I was curious, what you meant by that. Just seemed random and you lost me. Is it a reflection of your opinion on the movie? Or because you think the horse looks bad? Just wondering, because I personally, thought the horse playing Silver in that shot is Magnificent.
Sea Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #1777
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Monarch
Montana Smith, regarding the "hi ho wtf?" statement you made, I was curious, what you meant by that. Just seemed random and you lost me. Is it a reflection of your opinion on the movie? Or because you think the horse looks bad? Just wondering, because I personally, thought the horse playing Silver in that shot is Magnificent.

I thought of the Lone Ranger preparing to leap onto Silver, then suddenly realizing somebody had switched him for Barbie's pony!

I added the shot of the real Silver as a size comparison.

There really aren't many good affordable sixth scale horses out there. There's the old static Action Man one which was re-released for the 40th anniversary; Dragon (DML) made one or two; Dragon in Dreams made hairy ones that look a bit like those stuffed ornamental stags from the '70s.

There's a company called Nohuanda that make very good 1/6 horses, but they cost a fortune.

Here's a few threads on the subject:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ale-horse.html

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...estions-2.html

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...st-horses.html

Nohuanda's Silver:

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #1778
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_in_SD
Thanks to everyone for the kind words (and to Lance Quazar for the history lesson ). I knew most of that at some point, but I'd forgotten a lot. I guess by "new" I meant "I haven't seen anybody else use it yet."

Oh, no, you definitely deserve points for originality here! Absolutely. Great custom and very imaginative use of source parts.

You've inspired me. I am going to (at some point...) take a crack at a Tuxedo Indy. I have most of the parts I need.

Going to use the Professor X jacket/vest combo. The Black Suit cobra commander legs, and, for arms, this star wars figure -

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?i...k/TLC-1424.jpg

(Since I don't like having to paint joints and these are the best white arms I can find)

Just not sure on the torso yet. The indy figures' "unbuttoned" style really wouldn't work. So I'm trying to find a good alternate. That's the final piece of the puzzle!

Thanks again for sharing your great custom!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #1779
Spassvogel
IndyFan

Has anyone seen that new TRU Animal Planet submarine set? The sub looks like a retro Flash Gordon/steampunk rocket. I think you could customize it into something for Indy's world.

Here's a link to the page where they talk about the design and have the drawings and final product. (in the final product pic they have all the accessories showing so it doesn't quite look as retro)

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Toys-...r-2013/8520337
Spassvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #1780
AC_in_SD
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
Oh, no, you definitely deserve points for originality here! Absolutely. Great custom and very imaginative use of source parts.

You've inspired me. I am going to (at some point...) take a crack at a Tuxedo Indy. I have most of the parts I need.

Going to use the Professor X jacket/vest combo. The Black Suit cobra commander legs, and, for arms, this star wars figure -

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?i...k/TLC-1424.jpg

(Since I don't like having to paint joints and these are the best white arms I can find)

Just not sure on the torso yet. The indy figures' "unbuttoned" style really wouldn't work. So I'm trying to find a good alternate. That's the final piece of the puzzle!

Thanks again for sharing your great custom!

That sounds very interesting. Just curious if you had collected the pieces yet, or if you were still looking. Another option for a tuxedo torso might be one of the new 3 3/4 Doctor Who figures.

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-3-7...octor+who+3.75

I haven't seen these on the shelves in my neck of the woods, so I can't say for certain how compatible the parts are with other lines, but it might work.

I've had another project or two that I've been working on. For a while now I've been wanting to do a Walter Donovan figure, but the parts were too pricey (I was on a pretty tight budget recently). Anyway, after a good ebay deal and a lucky swap meet find, I finally had what I needed.

Donovan 1 photo donovan1.jpg

I had seen other Donovan customs using one of three different Star Wars heads: Officer Cass, Chancelor Valorum, or General Veers. I ended up going with Valorum because he was cheapest, but then I lucked into both of the other two for a couple of bucks. Veers is, of course, the same actor, Julian Glover, but I stuck with Valorum because I thought the Veers figure looked too young. I did trim down the hair on Valorum because I felt it looked a little cartoony. Here is a side-by-side comparison of the three faces so folks can look and make their own conclusions.

Donovan Trio photo trio.jpg

I did add one little wrinkle that I haven't seen elsewhere - interchangeable heads!

Donovan 2 photo donovan2.jpg
"What? Is there something on my face? No? Nothing? You're sure?"

The skull head was cast by ebay seller sithhappens, I think from a Monteczuma figure. I added cotton hair to give it that wispy look I remembered so well from the climax of Las Crusade. Hope you all like it.

Last edited by AC_in_SD : 09-30-2013 at 12:39 AM.
AC_in_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #1781
ddschneider1972
IndyFan

Re-Action: vintage style

NEW Retro Kenner-Style Action Figures $10 a pop

http://tinyurl.com/m6qdhny

I see some potential for custom vintage style figures...just need some Kenner Han Solo heads to repaint.
Repaint the Wolf from Pulp fiction body for a Club Obi-wan Indy
vincent Vega body for Vintage Professor Indy

A repaint and add some hair on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer The Gentleman you have a Vintage aging Donovan

Repaint Buffy's Angel with Goonies Mouth's head for Vintage Mutt.

The Goonies Data for a vintage Short round Head
Pulp Fiction Mia Wallace's head would make a good vintage Spalko head

Too bad there are no shirtless male upper bodies. I'd like to do a vintage style ToD Indy.
ddschneider1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #1782
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_in_SD
That sounds very interesting. Just curious if you had collected the pieces yet, or if you were still looking. Another option for a tuxedo torso might be one of the new 3 3/4 Doctor Who figures.

I have the figure (mostly) assembled, just have been too lazy to paint. Had the thought about the "Who" figures, but they're pretty small in scale compared to Indy and the construction is just different enough to make it annoying.

Quote:

For a while now I've been wanting to do a Walter Donovan figure, but the parts were too pricey (I was on a pretty tight budget recently). Anyway, after a good ebay deal and a lucky swap meet find, I finally had what I needed.

Holy crap!!! How EVER did I miss this post????

OUTSTANDING Donovan figures. LOVE the post-Grail version, creepy as all heck!!

Wonderful job, as always. Your customs are really marvelous, thanks so much for sharing!!!

[quote]

I had seen other Donovan customs using one of three different Star Wars heads: Officer Cass, Chancelor Valorum, or General Veers. [/quote

I went with Cass out of laziness in my own Donovan, as I didn't want to sculpt hair onto Veers.

Hasbro absolutely OWES us an upgraded Veers. I can't believe they decided to release a GENERIC AT-AT Commander a couple years ago in the Vintage line.

Hopefully they'll correct this injustice and give us a great veers with a removable cap (as all their decent officer figures have these days.)

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your GREAT work!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #1783
AC_in_SD
IndyFan

ddschneider1972, I think you might be on to something. While I'm not a huge fan of the whole Re-action line, I could get behind using Data as Short Round. I bet the head of the Marty McFly figure would make a pretty good Club Obi-Wan Indy, too.

Lance, thanks for your comments. I consider my skills pretty amateurish compare to many of the other contributors, but I enjoy myself. I don't have much in the works currently, although I would like use some of the Deadite figures from the 3.75" Army of Darkness line to do a a good Sir Richard from LC. I know most use the G.I. Joe Montezuma, but I think the attire of some of the AOD figures is actually closer. If it works, I'll be sure to post.
AC_in_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #1784
hemble
IndyFan

Hi All,

AC_in_SD - there is nothing amateurish about your Donavan figure it is brillant.

Ron
hemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #1785
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemble
Hi All,

AC_in_SD - there is nothing amateurish about your Donavan figure it is brillant.

Ron

Agreed 110%!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #1786
inky_skin
IndyFan

Nice to see this thread is still alive and kicking. AC_in_SD - that alternate head on your Donovan figure is brilliant !

So, while I've still been creating customs since my last post here, the inclusion of a couple of my figures in Lance Quazar's recent photonovel reminded me that I hadn't done anything Indy related in a while.

Much as I liked the variant Nazi figures in the basic line, they only really fit in the desert scenes of Raiders, and to a lesser extent, Last Crusade. The rider that came with the motor cycle was a nice alternative, but I felt that Indy needed a few more bad guys to wail on at Castle Brunwald. Hence, "Generic Nazi Soldier #1"...

Helmet, rifle, pack (not visible) - BBI German Soldier
Head - Indiana Jones Russian Soldier
Torso - Star Wars Rebel Honour Guard
Legs - Star Wars Janek Sunber (although any Imperial Officer would have done - in fact grey trousers *might* have been preferable)
Webbing - GI Joe Cobra Soldier

Also works well for those who collect the 3.75" Captain America: The First Avenger line too !

Last edited by inky_skin : 03-24-2014 at 06:32 AM.
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #1787
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Fantastic, Inky!! Great to see another Indy-era/WW2 custom from you!

The simple act of painting the collar on the honor guard REALLY makes the figure pop. Excellent assemblage of parts, the "Cobra" webbing looks like an outstanding piece, I may need to track one down.

There are so many amazing creations and memories in this old thread, I was inspired to look down into the archives recently. Lovely to see a couple of new additions, keep up the great work!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #1788
hemble
IndyFan

Execellent looking figure inky, it's grea to see more indy related customs.

Ron
hemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #1789
AlinaFox
IndyFan

My customs

Hey guys!
After reading and viewing so many of your fantastic figures I decided to share the ones I did - mind you, most of the recipes I swapped from this thread and Tommy Lin's page.

I started in 2013 with my version of Belloq in his white suit and soon I thought it would be fun to get the whole cast in all their costumes - but then again I thought it was a better idea to limit the endeavor to an even 200 figures (including the official ones), with Raiders taking up the better part of it and by adding some of the Extended Universe characters from video games et cetera.

151 figures I already have, 49 to go. I think I'll start with Raiders of the Lost Ark with the characters in order of appearance (I'll leave out the official releases) and here are the first ten on my list:

01) Indy in Leather Jacket
02) Peruvian Porter

03) Satipo
04) Barranca

05) Pitfall Indy
06) Hovitos Warrior

07) Belloq (Peru)

08) Jock Lindsey and Reggie

09) College Indy

10) Marcus Brody

Oh, and also feel free to ask any recipe you'd like to know...

Best
Daniel
AlinaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #1790
AlinaFox
IndyFan

Next batch

Okay, here are the next ten on my list - the Raiders characters will carry on up to number 62...

11) "Love You" Student

12) Major Eaton

13) Colonel Musgrove

14) Indy in Bathrobe

15) Nepal Marion

16) "Red" Regan (the australian climber from Marion's bar)

17) Toht
18) Agent Otto

19) Ratty Nepalese

20) Mean Mongolian
Old 08-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #1791
AlinaFox
IndyFan

Numbers 21 to 32 shouldn't take too long - a lot of official releases during these scens of RotLA...

21) Giant Sherpa

22) Indy with Gloves (and the horse from the chase scene)
23) Cairo Arrival Marion

24) Sallah Mohammed Faisel el-Kahir

25) Fayah, Sallah's wife

26) Indy in Shirt with Whip
27) Cario Marion
28) Monkeyman
29) German Agent

30) - 32) Cairo Henchmen (the 2-Pack and the one with Marion)
Old 08-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #1792
AlinaFox
IndyFan

And here are the next Raiders figures, mostly custom made (some needed a little more work, others as good as none)...

33) Cairo Swordman
34) Belloq in Suit

35) Sallah in Suit and Hat (yet to be built, next on my to-do-list and the only one missing from RotLA)
36) Imam (kind of lazy, I know, but effective I'd like to think)

37) Excavation Belloq

38) Colonel Dietrich

39) Major Gobler

40) - 42) German Soldiers (the 2-pack and the single pack figures)

Best
Daniel
Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #1793
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

WOW!!!!!!

What an incredible treasure trove of customs!!!

Welcome to the Raven, what a thrill to see all your incredible work! So talented! So prolific!

Unfortunately, the custom figures thread here is all but nonexistent every since the heyday of 2008-2009.

But, boy, what a treat to see all this marvelous work.

Thank you very much for sharing!!! A lot of really unique, interesting and unusual figures here (like the Ravenwood bar characters, etc.)

I'll probably have more to say as I examine these in more detail in the days to come.

But for right now, take a bow!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #1794
Stoo
IndyFan

Lance said it all. These are really cool, AlinaFox, and there are probably members here who would kill for the Mean Mongolian, Giant Sherpa & Ratty Nepalese. Great job on Barranca, too. Personally, I like that fact that you actually made Fayah! Talk about "unique".

I don't collect figures but greatly admire seeing people's customizations so...

Bravo & welcome to The Raven!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #1795
sheffsteve
IndyFan

I don't do this, and indeed would have no idea where to start, but let me also say that I am incredibly impressed, and suitably humbled, by the work that goes on with customising these figures.
sheffsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #1796
AlinaFox
IndyFan

Thanks for the kind words, Lance, Stoo and sheffsteve!
I started out slowly with Belloq in his suit because I always thought it kind of bitter that no official release surfaced in 2008. And I then tried my hands on more serious and difficult figures - I bought a Dremel tool and lots of green stuff which both helped a lot...
But I agree, I too didn't know where to start - this forum and Tommy Lins page provided a good starting point (by the way: thanks Stoo! Your Old Indy segments brought me to the Raven in the first place! ). I'm a comic book artist, so the creative part comes quite naturally but I never was a sculptor. And it's trial and error all of the time

Best
Daniel
Old 08-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #1797
AlinaFox
IndyFan

Alright, here we have the next batch. And again, most characters are the official ones made by Hasbro - Raiders did have the most figures made, including the SDCC Lost Wave...

43) Sallah
44) Indy in Arab Disguise (Map Room scene)
45) Ark of the Covenant (its part of the 2-pack so I counted it as a figure)
46) Marion in White Dress
47) Flying Wing Pilot (this isn't a custom figure - I'd like to call it a "reimagining of an existing figure" - I think this was a tank driver in a previous incarnation )

48) Second German Mechanic

49) German Mechanic
50) Tough Sergeant (the head is a cast of a G.I. Joe Zartan figure)

51) Simon Katanga

52) Messenger Pirate
Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #1798
AlinaFox
IndyFan

Aaand the last 10 for Raiders of the Lost Ark...

53) Fregattenkapitän Oskar Schomburg

54) Indy in German Uniform
55) Belloq ceremomial robes
56) Ark Ghost - Beautiful (actually some figures mashed together. Mainly Leia and Emperor holograms)

57) Ark Ghost - Horrible (ditto)

58) Melting-Head Dietrich

59) Melting-Head Toht (again, less a custom than a figure-mash: Toht's melting head from the SDCC set and a SDCC Cobra Commander body. I did cast the coat, though and arranged it according to the position of the arms)

60) Exploding Head Belloq (I also did a version with a splitting head and some tweezers but I never figured out how to attach the head to the body - well, maybe later)

61) Washington Indy (CC's body put to good use again)

62) Washington Marion

Thus concludes my collection of Raiders figures - I still have to do the Sallah with his hat and I'd very much like to do a clear plastic cast of the Ark Ghost someday but I believe my talents aren't honed enough, yet.

Well, onto the next batch - but since I'm smack in the middle of doing Temple of Doom, I will move on to KotCS next...

Best
Daniel
Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #1799
AlinaFox
IndyFan

Temple of Doom custom action figures

Okay, I decided to carry on with Temple of Doom, even though there are still 15 characters missing - I'll just updated the list as soon as I have customized the figures in question...

So the list goes on:

63) Gong striker (in production)
64) Willie Scott Club Obi-Wan Dress

65) Chinese Dancer (in production)
66) Step Dance Girl (in production)
67) Lao che (in production)
68) Kao kan (in production)
69) Chen (in production)
70) Tuxedo Indy

71) Wu han

72) Cigarette Girl

73) Short Round
74) Earl Weber

75) Indy with Leather Jacket
76) Chinese Pilot (in production)
77) Marhan (in production)
78) Chieftain

79) Willie in Shirt

80) Chattar Lal Dinner Suit

81) Dinner Indy
Old 08-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #1800
AlinaFox
IndyFan

And to finish Temple of Doom for the time being, here is the rest of the finished custom figures...

82) Captain Phillip James Blumburtt Dinner Uniform

83) Willie in Dinner Dress

84) Maharajah Zalim Singh

85) Fat Dinner Guest (in production)
86) Grey Beard Dinner Guest (in production)
87) Pajamas Willie

88) Thuggee Assassin (in production)
89) Thuggee Acolyte (in production)
90) Mola Ram
91) Thuggee Worshippers (in production)
92) Maharajah Zalim Singh Thuggee Ceremony

93) Ceremony Victim (in production)
94) Chief Temple Guard
95) Child Slave (in production)
96) Possessed Indy

97) Willie Scott Thuggee Ceremony
98) Chattar Lal Thuggee Ceremony

99) Indy with Ripped Shirt
100) Thuggee Temple Guard
101) Captain Blumburtt in Eleventh Poona Rifles Uniform

As you can see, there's still a lot to do - and the same goes for the Last Crusade. But I'm working on it...

Best Daniel