TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #26
Cagefighterkip
IndyFan

i remember loving this as a kid, i should reWatch it soon if i can get/find a copy
Cagefighterkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #27
indyclonejr
IndyFan

At first I liked masks of evil but I saw mistery of the blues I was like omg that's the greatest.
indyclonejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #28
Jonesy9906753
IndyFan

Indy

this movie had sick music, i love the whole chicago jazz movement that happened and how they fit Indy into it.
Jonesy9906753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #29
metalinvader
IndyFan

Apparently a lost MOTB scene has been found....
http://indysax.ytmnd.com/

Grey Cloud looks smitten.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #30
IndyCon
IndyFan

very funny.
IndyCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #31
chicago103
IndyFan

Mystery of the Blues is my favorite young Indy episode by far, its about my hometown Chicago and I am an expert on everything Chicago history and otherwise thus I can appreciate the detail and accuracy of the Chicago history discussed in the episode. Then as icing on the cake, it just happens to be the only episode to have a cameo by Harrison Ford! I mean WOW!

Anyways the main reason I chose to post in this thread is that I found something online that talked about the real building from the episode, the site of Colossimo's restaurant, a club called the Four Duces and if you watch the episode the building they put in looks just like the real historical pictures. It was located at 2222 South Wabash Avenue. Unfortunately like so many buildings from Chicago's gangster era it has been demolished, this particular building was demolished in 1964, today it is a vacant lot.

The building during the gangster era

The building in 1923 on the left and the building in 1963 shortly before its demolition on the right

The site as it looks today

The whole article:
http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id152.htm
chicago103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #32
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
I always wondered why Ford forgot to take the walkie-talkie off of his belt.It's kind of funny that it's there for a brief second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Oh, no. I really hope that's not referring to a goof in the show. I really didn't need to read that if it does...
Even though there are other threads about "Mystery of the Blues", this one is the most fitting to place the following image.

Both 'mystery of the blues' bookends w/Preview
Ep. 11: YIJ and The Mystery of the Blues
Mystery of the Blues and the John Williams theme

Looks like Indy travelled forward in time & then back again after he picked up this piece of interesting gear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
I've had this wish (Fan boy dream ) That a comic/novel would be published about the whole wyoming adventure.I'd really like to know just who were those men chasing after Gray cloud's peace pipe and how Indy got involved.
Same here. One thing that seems certain is that the main baddie is from New York.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #33
indyartist
IndyFan

thanks Stoo for the closeups on the futuristic gear. Is there a shot of the holster? I looked on the video and didn't see a holster.
indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #34
Stoo
IndyFan

Hey, my pleasure, Bill. Here's where you can see the holster. The walkie-talkie magically appears, then transforms into a holster before disappearing altogether.

Before "Skull" came out, there was a big debate on whether or not Indy was going to have his gun in the new movie partly based on the fact that he didn't have one in "Blues" (which is, essentially, correct). I tried to point out that Indy *did* have one that mysteriously vanished during the snowstorm but if fell on deaf ears:

Old 11-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #35
indyclone25
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Hey, my pleasure, Bill. Here's where you can see the holster. The walkie-talkie magically appears, then transforms into a holster before disappearing altogether.

Before "Skull" came out, there was a big debate on whether or not Indy was going to have his gun in the new movie partly based on the fact that he didn't have one in "Blues" (which is, essentially, correct). I tried to point out that Indy *did* have one that mysteriously vanished during the snowstorm but if fell on deaf ears:

as you can see in the picture that isnt harrison ford running through the snow --- i have watched it over and over myself and his movements arent anything like harrison ford .
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #36
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyclone25
as you can see in the picture that isnt harrison ford running through the snow --- i have watched it over and over myself and his movements arent anything like harrison ford .
GOOD EYE, INDYCLONE! I can't even count the number of times I've watched this and never noticed! He must be the stunt driver for the truck. Doesn't look like he even has a full beard. Well, that would explain, the disappearing gun/holster...the double had one, Harrison didn't. Nice one, Mark!

(Just watched it again and at the beginning of the greyed-out shot above, you can see the butt of the revolver sticking out so it's not just an empty holster.)
Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #37
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
GOOD EYE, INDYCLONE! I can't even count the number of times I've watched this and never noticed! He must be the stunt driver for the truck. Doesn't look like he even has a full beard. Well, that would explain, the disappearing gun/holster...the double had one, Harrison didn't. Nice one, Mark!

(Just watched it again and at the beginning of the greyed-out shot above, you can see the butt of the revolver sticking out so it's not just an empty holster.)

Clear out your PM box, Stoo. Trying to send you a message.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 AM   #38
emtiem
IndyFan

Frustrating, this one. They showed that they really could make YIJ feel like proper IJ, but just decided not to for some bizarre reason.
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #39
The_Raiders
IndyFan

I've also noticed in the scene with Indy and Great Cloud walking through the snow that Great Cloud has Indys satchel on his back, or at least it appears that way.

The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #40
metalinvader
IndyFan

As much as I love and cheerish Ford's appearance in MOTB,You'd think they would have worked on the continuity better with this scene in regards to the appearance/gear.I mean,Holster here,Walkie Talkie there...
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #41
featofstrength
IndyFan

i only watched this episode because Harrison Ford was in it. Other than that, it doesnt have anything goin for it IMO
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #42
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Well, you have to remember that most of the Young Indy episodes featured either Corey Carrier in all kinds of wild, exotic places, or SPF in the middle of WWI. With the exception of the Transylvania episode. By the time they got to 1919/1920 and Mystery of the Blues, SPF's Indy had become more or less one of the Hardy boys. While the parts where Indy is showing his love of Jazz are nice backstory for, mostly it's pretty lame. Hollywood Follies was even worse. The Harrison bookends are the only reason to watch.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #43
vf wing
IndyFan

Okay, I've by chance watched this episode numerous times lately, and have picked up on a big clue as to the identity of the Toht-like main bad guy at the end.

Remember Harold the waiter? He witnessed Colossimo's murder, and really the way it was presented and staged he could have even been a suspect, or perhaps bought off by the killer. He lost his lunch after the evil deed, made a statement, and then disappeared without any further appearance... that we know of.

But recall earlier in the ep. He received a $100 tip and exclaimed "This'll buy five acres in Wyoming! Only 95 to go!!"

It could be construed as coincidence that the bookends take place in Wyoming, but since they're all part of the same episode, I think not. Harold has to be the main bad guy. One could extrapolate from the given evidence that he planned to go on to become a land baron in Wyoming, and was likely trying to lay claim to any valuable historical artifacts found on his property. Grey Cloud apparently didn't see it that way. I'm at a loss as to how Indy might have gotten involved... aside from the fact that he remembered working with Harold in Chicago!
vf wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #44
Lambonius
IndyFan

They kept this bookend in the recent DVD sets, didn't they? I don't own them myself, so I can't check. Wasn't it the only bookend that didn't get cut?
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #45
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambonius
They kept this bookend in the recent DVD sets, didn't they? I don't own them myself, so I can't check. Wasn't it the only bookend that didn't get cut?

That's right, on both counts. (Well, the Travels with Father bookends, which starred Sean Patrick Flannery rather than George Hall, were eventually incorporated into Winds of Change.)
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #46
Joosse
IndyFan

I was watching the Olympics, the men's 500 meters ice skating, and the winner was the Korean Tae-Bum Mo.

But all the while he was skating, his name was indicated as MoTB. And all I could think about was Mystery of the Blues...

MoTB took the gold!
Joosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #47
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf wing
Okay, I've by chance watched this episode numerous times lately, and have picked up on a big clue as to the identity of the Toht-like main bad guy at the end.

Remember Harold the waiter? He witnessed Colossimo's murder, and really the way it was presented and staged he could have even been a suspect, or perhaps bought off by the killer. He lost his lunch after the evil deed, made a statement, and then disappeared without any further appearance... that we know of.

But recall earlier in the ep. He received a $100 tip and exclaimed "This'll buy five acres in Wyoming! Only 95 to go!!"

It could be construed as coincidence that the bookends take place in Wyoming, but since they're all part of the same episode, I think not. Harold has to be the main bad guy. One could extrapolate from the given evidence that he planned to go on to become a land baron in Wyoming, and was likely trying to lay claim to any valuable historical artifacts found on his property. Grey Cloud apparently didn't see it that way. I'm at a loss as to how Indy might have gotten involved... aside from the fact that he remembered working with Harold in Chicago!
Interesting theory, vfwing, but the anonymous bad guy is much shorter than Harold, who is about the same height as Indy. They both have black hair, though! Were they intended to be the same person, it probably would have been a little more obvious. (Nice catch on the Wyoming line, vf, I'd never made the connection before!)

As for who Mr. Bad Guy is, there's not much to go on but I figure he probably lives somewhere in New York state (or rented a car from there). Even though he is not seen in the car during the chase, the 2 henchmen look like Wyoming locals which is why I think the car must belong to the main baddie. (He's either lying down in the back seat or the 2 hired heavies hooked up with him after their crash in the snow!) In the Indy movies, particular attention has been paid to the license plates on vehicles. Look below and tell me what you think:

By the same token, Grey Cloud lives in Alberta, Canada. Anyone interested in him should check out this thread: Grey Cloud

Knowing which actor played the pesky villain might help in figuring out who he is...none of the character names in the credits seem to fit.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #48
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I was reading your theory with interest early this morning, vf wing, but now P.I. Stoo is on the case! (And it could be an interesting case).
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #49
vf wing
IndyFan

I've pored over those credits a few times looking for clues too, sadly to no avail. Nice spot on the license plate!

I'm guessing Harold made NY one of the bases of operations in his burgeoning empire! Still holding to my theory, as it's the only way I can make sense of the Wyoming line. The relative heights of the two men could have changed as people sometimes actually shrink as they get older. I figure if I can halfway accept SPF's magically growing/shortening hair during voyages to and from his adventures then a height difference after 30 years isn't such a stretch!
vf wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #50
AnnieJones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf wing

Watched this episode last night and for the first time,just noticed this line.I don't think Harold was the bad guy in the bookends.And I'll tell you why in a little bit.I just think they put the line in there to see if anyone would notice.

The line is "Look at this,big tip from Mike the Pike.A hundred bucks!This will buy me five acres in Wyoming.Only ninety five more to go." Which means he wanted a hundred acres all together and the cost would be $500 for all the land he wanted.

Indy worked with Harold so that means they must have been friends and by the time Indy was in the log cabin Harold would already have bought all the acres he wanted.Indy was there when Harold said that he was going to buy all those acres.Now,Indy being his friend,Harold would most likely have told Indy where in Wyoming the land was that he was going to buy.So,Indy knew where to go to try and hide from the bad guys.And the fact that Indy goes there for safety reasons,tells us that Indy wouldn't go there if it was the place where the bad guy lived.The bad guys followed Indy to the cabin.Harold was most likely out hunting,or in town,or doesn't use the cabin in the winter.
Also,Indy says "Well here's a sacred relic of my past." Which tells us that it's the same soprano sax he had when he was younger and Indy simply gave the soprano sax to Harold on the day he went to the restaurant to quit working there.Harold must have kept it all those years as a reminder of all the events that took place earlier on and Harold must have kept in touch with Indy all those years as well.

My thought when I saw this,was Indy knew that the cabin was near by and used it to hide.Maybe lairdo knows for sure.Help us lairdo,please.

Last edited by AnnieJones : 03-12-2010 at 02:23 PM.
AnnieJones is offline   Reply With Quote