Intital reactions to Henry Sr. similar to Mutt?

Avilos

I am not sure if this belongs in the Non-Spoiler or the Spoiler Forum. Please move if necessary.

I am curious if your reactions to Shia are similar to your initial reactions to the addition of Sean Connery to the Indiana Jones series?

Now let us presume that Mutt is not related to Indy for this thread. No I am talking about the addition of a major new supporting character. One who is being marketed as Harrison Ford's co-star . Which is exactly what was done for Sean Connery as well. He also was a significant comedic presence in that film.

So did you feel the same way about Sean Connery before seeing TLC as many seem to have about Shia now?

Last edited:

Avilos

So whats the deal? Nobody remembers what they were thinking when they heard that Indy's Dad was going to appear in "The Last Crusade"?

Echo22

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the Vanity Fair cover. "Indy's back....and guess who's riding shotgun" could have very easily been a tag line for The Last Crusade. And I would imagine Mutt will have as big a role in this next movie as Sir Sean did in the previous one. They've made quite a deal of him since his casting was announced. Which leads me to believe that his character is exactly what was originally rumored.
The only difference is that back when Connery was announced as Indy's dad, we all knew him just as well as we knew Ford. It was perfect. The original Bond is Indy's dad - Can it get any better? The big anticipation was seeing the two together in the same movie. This time around, we are anticipating the movie itself and the return of Indiana Jones. Shia is just along for the ride. I've never even seen him in anything other than in interviews. So, he has to prove himself in my eyes - hope he does.
One thing I am really anticipating is the return of Marion. That's a big bonus that has not gotten nearly the hype that it deserves. When we all hear her theme for the first time in the new movie, nostalgia will sink in quickly. As cool as the photo of Indy and sidekick is, I would have rather they put Karen Allen on the cover of Vanity Fair with Ford.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Echo22 said:
One thing I am really anticipating is the return of Marion. That's a big bonus that has not gotten nearly the hype that it deserves. When we all hear her theme for the first time in the new movie, nostalgia will sink in quickly. As cool as the photo of Indy and sidekick is, I would have rather they put Karen Allen on the cover of Vanity Fair with Ford.

Hear, hear! :gun: The news of her return got the biggest reaction compared to everything else about this film. You should seen the jaw drop on my face that day. (y) It was a good day for film history. I agree. She should have been on the cover, afterall they are BOTH the original Raiders. But, I guess it was going to be someone who was "in the now" like Shia or maybe even Blanchett. No matter, I'm still pretty convinced Mutt is Indy's son. I wonder what first name he'll end up with? Abner or Henry? Somehow, I see him being an Abner.

Michael24

I was about 10 in 1989. I remember thinking, "Cool!" (y)

As for Shia LeBeouf, I was intrigued at the beginning because I loved Even Stevens on Disney Channel and I liked him in Constantine. After Transformers, then I got a little worried.

Echo22

"Little Abner" would be pretty funny. And time appropriate.
Mutt's a pretty good nickname, though. When you consider the origin of "Indiana". I'll bet SS and GL had fun with that one.

And Abner Ravenwood is a pretty cool and heroic name if they ever tried to do a spinoff movie.

All depends on if these rumors ever become fact.

deckard24

I was 10 in 1989 as well, so I was just excited to have a new Indy movie to go see!

As for LaBeouf having that large of a role, it sure looks to be heading in that direction. Whether he's there just for laughs, is still up in the air. Somehow I feel he'll be way more action oriented than Connery/Henry sr..

I am curious to see how they fit in all these new great actors like Hurt, Winstone, and Broadbent, and not shortchange them like they did with Denholm Elliot and John Rhys Davies in LC! I really hope they have some weight to their characters, and they're not just there for comic relief like in LC!

Where Shia is concerned I'm very mixed! I'm holding out hope though, but from the rumors that I've been hearing I've got a bad feeling.

Sankara

@Avilos
Nobody remembers what they were thinking when they heard that Indy's Dad was going to appear in "The Last Crusade"????????????

I was 15 and I was thinking: "Wow!!! What a great Idea to bring a Family-member into his adventures!!!"

JerryKing

Personally, I believe my reaction at that age could have been only wide-eyed interest - and I cannot recall any backlash against Henry Sr from anyone...

Then again, come on, even trying to compare Shia la Boeuf to Sean Connery is like comparing a broken eggshell to Faberge's egg...

TheLastCrusader

Michael24 said:
I was about 10 in 1989. I remember thinking, "Cool!" (y)

As for Shia LeBeouf, I was intrigued at the beginning because I loved Even Stevens on Disney Channel and I liked him in Constantine. After Transformers, then I got a little worried.
Ugh, he was just a kid in Constantine, but dominated the screen in Transformers! Kay, Transformers wasn't particularly a masterpiece, but that movie made me confident for Shia in Indy 4. He surely showed lots of potential!

DoomsdayFAN

When I heard Shia was in, I was like: "Oh great, a Disney Channel loser"... but then I saw Disterbia, and now am very happy Shia is in.

Last edited:

Michael24

TheLastCrusader said:
Ugh, he was just a kid in Constantine, but dominated the screen in Transformers! Kay, Transformers wasn't particularly a masterpiece, but that movie made me confident for Shia in Indy 4. He surely showed lots of potential!

I wasn't too impressed with him in TRANSFORMERS. But I'm hoping I can chalk that up to the fact he was allowed to improve many of the scenes that I couldn't stand him in and that perhaps he's only at his best when he sticks with the material he's given.

Sankara

I was VERY impressed with him in "Transformers". The movie is BS - but he was really-really great. I like his Greaser-Outfit, I like his name. I guess he will be a great sidekick to Indiana Jones.

But if he is the SON of if Indy and not only a sidekick - he is going to be the Jar Jar Binks of the Indy-Movies. But this is not the fault of Shia.

Avilos

Sankara said:
I was VERY impressed with him in "Transformers". The movie is BS - but he was really-really great. I like his Greaser-Outfit, I like his name. I guess he will be a great sidekick to Indiana Jones.

But if he is the SON of if Indy and not only a sidekick - he is going to be the Jar Jar Binks of the Indy-Movies. But this is not the fault of Shia.

How would his character be any different as his son opposed to just a sidekick?
You just said you like him as an actor and the look of the character. Does the very IDEA of Indy's son bother yo so much even if you like everything else about him???? That is very stupid!

WhipItGood

A quick hello to all here. I've been reading a while but just recently signed up.

re: Shia, I'd agree with some that he did a lot to make TRANSFORMERS tolerable, and I think he can do well with the right part written into KOTCS. He'll have to be integrated into the plot and not just thrown into the story (as they took pains to tie Henry Sr. into the Grail maguffin), and with Karen's return there seems to be plenty of room for good storytelling amid this triangle of characters.

On the other hand, I highly doubt the story will depend on Shia's character and I doubt Spielberg would let his performance ruin the film either. A decent, plot-integrated sidekick should serve the film well enough without overshadowing the stars and their story. He won't make or break the film.

Ska

Welcome to the Raven and great user name, WhipItGood! :D

I don't see Shia taking over in Indy IV, but IF he's the start of a new series (as the rumors go), I could see him more involved than most sidekicks as an "introduction" to the future "Indy" movies.

WhipItGood

Thanks, SKA. And you may be right about how much of a sidekick he is in 4, if future films proceed. I hadn't thought of it in those terms till you said it.