5 Pros and 5 Cons of an Indiana Jones 5 Movie (Mania.com)

Goonie

From Mania.com:
5 Pros and 5 Cons of an Indiana Jones 5 Movie

The first few bars of John Williams? score is enough to evoke hairs stand on the back our neck. You know the music, ?Da-da-da-dum-dum, da-da-da, dum-dum-dum, da-da-da-da.? We are of course talking about everyone?s favorite adventuring archaeologist, Indiana Jones. We waited 19 years for a fourth movie (Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull) in the series and finally in 2008 audiences turned out in droves to the tune of over $786 million worldwide, second to only The Dark Knight. Despite okay reviews, fans seemed lukewarm about Indy?s return and Internet buzz fueled the fire as message boards dissected every frame of the movie. So, let?s put the franchise under the microscope and see if the series deserves a finale worth its legend.

DocWhiskey

An okay list, nothing new us us Indyfans though.

Karen Allen peaked with Raiders and ended with The Crystal Skull. Plus it did not help that it looked like she has had so much botox that she has been in a wind tunnel for the past 27 years

Obviously they don't know what Karen Allen looks like.

emtiem

A bit odd to ask if the audience is still there and then declare that the people will come. Make your mind up! :)

QBComics

Yes, it's the same stuff as always. Nuke the fridge, CGI overdose, Moneys, Aliens. 3 out of 4 of those were well done, IMO, and I wish people would get over it.

Although, I do like how it mentions the first 20 minutes were pure Indy.

DocWhiskey

QBComics said:
Yes, it's the same stuff as always. Nuke the fridge, CGI overdose, Moneys, Aliens. 3 out of 4 of those were well done, IMO, and I wish people would get over it.

Agreed. But unfortunately I don't think that's ever going to happen. A lot of sites like these are still complaining about Jar Jar.

All I can say is, if you can't look past all that stuff and just enjoy a decent movie, sucks to be you.

avidfilmbuff

I know that a lot of people strongly disagree with me but, I didn't think Crystal Skull used that much cgi, in fact one of the first things I was thinking of while leaving the theater was, "thank goodness they didn't use too much cgi." I was extremely shocked to find out that many fans felt the opposite. In fact, the only times I did notice the cgi was during the nuclear bomb scene, the jungle chase, and the final scene with the saucer. But the besides that, I felt that the film mostly used real stunts, real locations, and real sets. Sure it wasn't Buster Keaton, but it certainly wasn't Attack of the Clones or Spiderman. In fact, there were even some scenes that I thought were cgi, but actually weren't. I know most will disagree with me, but that's how I feel.

kongisking

avidfilmbuff said:
I know that a lot of people strongly disagree with me but, I didn't think Crystal Skull used that much cgi, in fact one of the first things I was thinking of while leaving the theater was, "thank goodness they didn't use too much cgi." I was extremely shocked to find out that many fans felt the opposite. In fact, the only times I did notice the cgi was during the nuclear bomb scene, the jungle chase, and the final scene with the saucer. But the besides that, I felt that the film mostly used real stunts, real locations, and real sets. Sure it wasn't Buster Keaton, but it certainly wasn't Attack of the Clones or Spiderman. In fact, there were even some scenes that I thought were cgi, but actually weren't. I know most will disagree with me, but that's how I feel.

You're absolutely right. Watch the DVD features, and you'll see that a lot of the stuff that we thought was CGI was actually model-work, makeup, physical sets and stuntmen. "Overdose of CGI" my ass...

Jack Nelligan

kongisking said:
You're absolutely right. Watch the DVD features, and you'll see that a lot of the stuff that we thought was CGI was actually model-work, makeup, physical sets and stuntmen. "Overdose of CGI" my ass...

A lot of the stunt work used cgi on the faces of the stuntmen. There are several scenes where you can tell they cgi?ed the face of the stunt man to look like Indy and Mutt. The motorcycle scene and the warehouse scene of Indy running the rafters and swinging on the whip come to mind.

avidfilmbuff

Jack Nelligan said:
A lot of the stunt work used cgi on the faces of the stuntmen. There are several scenes where you can tell they cgi?ed the face of the stunt man to look like Indy and Mutt. The motorcycle scene and the warehouse scene of Indy running the rafters and swinging on the whip come to mind.

Harrison really did swing on the whip, granted with the help of wires, but he did it. You can see it on the special features if you have the two disk special edition. He also swung on the chain, also with the help of wires. I don't know about the other ones you mean.

Jack Nelligan

avidfilmbuff said:
Harrison really did swing on the whip, granted with the help of wires, but he did it. You can see it on the special features if you have the two disk special edition. He also swung on the chain, also with the help of wires. I don't know about the other ones you mean.

Look at it when he is running on the rafter; his face was cgi. If you look close you can tell where they edited the running and the swinging scenes together as he starts to swing onto the truck.

avidfilmbuff

Jack Nelligan said:
Look at it when he is running on the rafter; his face was cgi. If you look close you can tell where they edited the running and the swinging scenes together as he starts to swing onto the truck.

Well I saw the documentary footage, which I highly doubt has been tampered by cgi, and you can clearly see that it's Harrison. Harrison also spoke about using wires for his stunts in the warehouse scene.

DocWhiskey

Personally, I don't find it that big a deal to CGI an actors face onto a stuntman's face. I mean, Ford was what? 66 or so when he filmed KOTCS? Are we seriously complaining because a 66 year old man couldn't due all the stuntwork?

emtiem

Jack Nelligan said:

Well I really don't find using stuntmen to be a use of CGI, and anyway: you're wrong. That's Harrison doing that. You can tell from his run: it's him. The motorcycle scene, yes: quite a few bits of face replacement- but not the warehouse scene.

kongisking

Jack Nelligan said:

CGing stunt doubles' faces is totally okay. I have zero problem with it. It didn't harm anyone in the Star Wars prequels when it was done for Dooku and Sidious. If this is what people mean when they complain of "too much CGI," then I frankly have lost all hope for modern moviegoers' sanity.

Uki

DocWhiskey said:
Agreed. But unfortunately I don't think that's ever going to happen. A lot of sites like these are still complaining about Jar Jar.

All I can say is, if you can't look past all that stuff and just enjoy a decent movie, sucks to be you.

Exactly. I for one loved KOTCS. I also love Jar Jar Binks, so do with that what you will. When it all comes down to it, though, I'm a happy fan and the Complainers are not. :p

I can't wait to see a fifth Indy outing on the bob screen!

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by DocWhiskey

Exactly. I feel sorry for those who can't enjoy a descent film like KotCS! It?s not Raiders but it?s fun, action packed, adventurous and all-round an enjoyable and a welcomed part of the franchise! If you can't see that with Indy, a franchise you must obviously love, than it must be hard to watch most moves nowadays!:hat:

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by DocWhiskey

Exactly. I feel sorry for those who can't enjoy a descent film like KotCS! It?s not Raiders but it?s fun, action packed, adventurous and all-round an enjoyable and a welcomed part of the franchise! If you can't see that with Indy, a franchise you must obviously love, than it must be hard to watch most moves nowadays!

If you had asked me if I wanted a fifth movie a week after I saw The Crystal Skull, I would have said not a chance. However, something else has since occurred to me - it's entirely possible that the Indy series has an even number movie curse, similar to Star Trek's odd number movie curse. Most of the even number Star Trek movies (Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact) are considered to be good to great, while odd numbered Star Trek movies (The Motion Picture, The Final Frontier, Generations) are considered to be somewhat lackluster to bad. Maybe, since Raider of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade were good, while Temple of Doom and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull were not so much, maybe another odd numbered Indy movie will be awesome.

This is a qoute of a post left on the web page. it raises and interesting peice of trivia. Don't really beleive in that kind of thing- but Indy didn't believe in the Ark and then Belloq went :gun:
:hat:

arkfinder

The big problem was KOCS was a good film. Good for Indiana Jones means ho-hum.

But, there is little to no question there needs to be a 5th film.