Charlie Chaplin

I thought Raiders of the Lost Ark was the best movie ever made...Then I saw a Chaplin movie the other day called 'City Lights'...Has anyone else seen this miracle of a movie?

cheers

Padawan

indydude

I did see almost every Charlie Chaplin movie at this Charlie convention were I live, thats some pretty good stuff.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
This should be moved, but I'll speak while I'm here.

I saw about the last half hour of City Lights, and it was impressive. I preferred what I saw of Modern Times and The Gold Rush, and yes, The Great Dictator (I saw these three in their entirity), but I can't comment fully until I see City Lights fully.

However, I must say that I prefer the work of Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd over Charlie Chaplin, who, although very poignant, is perhaps a little overrated. Keaton was droller and Lloyd had that everyman appeal.

As for which film is superior...although there are a few handfuls of films, at the very least, that are in my mind superior to Raiders of the Lost Ark, Chaplin is probably not among them. Other masters, such as Ford, Wilder, Kubrick, and Lean, to name just 4, would be.

intergamer

Harold Lloyd is cool - I like the one where he's crawling up a building chased by a policeman. I've seen 6 or 7 of his movies, there was a marathon on PBS.

It's like comparing the Beatles to Mozart

Charlie Chaplin made many films before Buster Keaton started...I think you have to give credit to Chaplin as he was the pioneer...Chaplin was the first to make feature length movies, rather than keystone cops crap...

cheers

Padawan

P.S. Buster Keaton copied and then slighty varied Chaplin's oringinals...