fedora

Mr. Z

Is Magnoli's better then Adventurebuilt? I know this is opinion, but I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks.

eazybox

Mr. Z said:
Is Magnoli's better then Adventurebuilt? I know this is opinion, but I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks.

It depends on what you want. On an ultimate basis an Adventurebilt would be the better hat and will take extreme abuse over years of wear; but the Magnoli HJ/AB is as close as you can get to the original Raiders hat. Being made of floppy rabbit felt, though, it is more of a dress hat or collectible than the made-for-heavy-use AB.

Jack

eazybox

Both. :) Actually, I'm still waiting for my KOTCS clone from AB, but of course I don't mind waiting.

That may be another factor in choosing between these two hats, though; I've heard the wait time for Magnoli's is now down to just a month or two.

Jack

eazybox

The AB's were taking a year or longer last time I heard, but the wait times should be going down soon, as Steve Delk has hired an apprentice. I'm not sure about the current wait time for the AB Deluxe.

Jack

Mr. Z

I emailed all the hat companies we mentioned, and here are the wait times:

Peter Bros: 6-8 weeks
AB Deluxe: 10 months
Magnoli: 2 months

I haven't heard from Steve at AB, but based on what I've read at Club Obi-Wan, you're looking at over a year. I ordered mine from Peter Brothers today, and can't wait!:gun:

xVendetta17x

Mr. Z said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say No
Otherwise they would've used Magnoli's instead of Adventurebilt for Indy 4

I heard that there's going to be a new Officially Licensed line of Fedoras come May
I only saw it in an advertisement so I don't know how trustworthy that information is

Mr. Z

xVendetta17x said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say No
Otherwise they would've used Magnoli's instead of Adventurebilt for Indy 4

I heard that there's going to be a new Officially Licensed line of Fedoras come May
I only saw it in an advertisement so I don't know how trustworthy that information is

I saw that on the AB website as well, so I'm thinking we should most certainly stay tuned. I thought I read that they were offering a cheaper version, as well as some really expensive models.

Rhys135

He he. Just had to show off my fedora :) I love it, but I think my cheap digital camera doesn't show it justice, and I havent styled it, and I'm not wearing it properly yet, but I'm happy!

Big thanks to Deckard, who is an expert on all Indy's gear.

n511466431_714310_1776.jpg

Jez_

I'm after a decent fedora, nobody mentioned the one from the official site is that because its rubbish, or has anyone got one and is it a good?

If it is i'll get one ordered quick sharp, have to wait longer being in the UK :(

eazybox

Jez_ said:
I'm after a decent fedora, nobody mentioned the one from the official site is that because its rubbish, or has anyone got one and is it a good?

If it is i'll get one ordered quick sharp, have to wait longer being in the UK :(

If you want a hat that looks just like Indy's, yes, the officially licensed hats are rubbish; but that doesn't mean they are bad hats, necessarily; they are serviceable hats, but not a very good value, in my opinion.

If you want a great quality hat that looks more like the hat you see in the films, at a lower-than-average price, I'd go with the Akubra Federation from hatsdirect.com. They are just about to introduce a new and improved version that a lot of people seem excited about.

Jack

The_Raiders

eazybox said:
If you want a hat that looks just like Indy's, yes, the officially licensed hats are rubbish; but that doesn't mean they are bad hats, necessarily; they are serviceable hats, but not a very good value, in my opinion.

If you want a great quality hat that looks more like the hat you see in the films, at a lower-than-average price, I'd go with the Akubra Federation from hatsdirect.com. They are just about to introduce a new and improved version that a lot of people seem excited about.

Jack

If you knew how couldn't you just shape the official licened hat's like Indys? I think they would be spot on if the crowns were shaped better.

Jez_

eazybox said:

Jack

This you mean?

I not sure what you mean about the official hats, they are rubbish compared to some you can get for cheaper?
Edit or this one

eazybox

Jez_ said:

This you mean?

I not sure what you mean about the official hats, they are rubbish compared to some you can get for cheaper?

That's the site, yes, and I meant the official hats are rubbish if you want one that looks just like the ones you see onscreen on Ford's head. It cost me a lot of money before I learned that lesson years ago, and if I was just starting out now and couldn't afford one of the better quality hats, I would wait until I had the money to get one.

It all depends on how interested you are in faithfulness to the original. Some people don't care and are very happy with the licensed hats. But they have never been very faithful to the authentic details, and you should be aware of that before you buy one.

Jack