The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Henry-Defance said:
does anyone know why these parts were edited out of the episodes.

There are many interpretations as to the why the bookends were edited out. Some (and I'm one of them) believe that certain aspects of these bookends would clash with whatever the ending would be from KOTCS (These bookends were edited out years before KOTCS came out). One particular questionable aspect of the Old Indy stuff is his daughter from the Ireland episode and his grandson, Spike. What no Mutt? Yeah, that's the main issue with the bookends. Also to make the series of episodes into a series of films, the bookends would have broken it up way too much and so linking segments (though very awkwardly done in a few places) were used, so two episodes could become one movie.

I can't think of the other reasons.... guys, is there anything else I'm missing?

phantom train

Violet Indy said:
There are many interpretations as to the why the bookends were edited out. Some (and I'm one of them) believe that certain aspects of these bookends would clash with whatever the ending would be from KOTCS (These bookends were edited out years before KOTCS came out). One particular questionable aspect of the Old Indy stuff is his daughter from the Ireland episode and his grandson, Spike. What no Mutt? Yeah, that's the main issue with the bookends. Also to make the series of episodes into a series of films, the bookends would have broken it up way too much and so linking segments (though very awkwardly done in a few places) were used, so two episodes could become one movie.

I can't think of the other reasons.... guys, is there anything else I'm missing?

Going along with this, Lucas may have felt that fans didn't want to see an old, crotchety curmudgeon-like Indy since the character had already been established as a very active character in the YIJC and the films. Based on Indy's appearance in KOTCS, this makes even more sense.

Crack that whip

phantom train said:
Going along with this, Lucas may have felt that fans didn't want to see an old, crotchety curmudgeon-like Indy since the character had already been established as a very active character in the YIJC and the films. Based on Indy's appearance in KOTCS, this makes even more sense.

I think it's something like that; I believe it's a combination of viewers who disliked either the general idea of seeing an elderly, contemporary Indy, or George Hall's portrayal specifically, or both, and Lucas/Lucasfilm deciding to address said viewers by dispensing with the bookends.

One of the old issues of The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine (the publication that eventually became The Star Wars Insider) has an interview with Rick McCallum from later during the show's run in which he discusses the Harrison Ford bookends (which replaced George Hall ones, as we know) in "Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues" and, IIRC, begins to answer a question about how the Harrison bookends came about by noting the filmmakers had realized the bookends (with George Hall) were "not working," or something to that effect (I don't have the magazine handy at the moment; I'd post a verbatim quote if I did).

Stoo

Part 7 - Coming Soon

The next chapter of "The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles" will be ready in the very near future and I think
you folks are going to like it. Because of the differences between the N.American & European versions,
this was a challenge to put together but it's a good one. Old Indy is out on the town in a triple-header
that includes the most gripping bookend of them all. Stay tuned...

Below is a preview inspired by the Young Indy TV Guide issue (that I don't have. Hi, Metalin.;) )
and one of the cards in the Masterpieces set (that I also don't have but, again, metalinvader does.)

So, for my 2003rd post :eek: I would like to say Merry Christmas & Happy Chanuka to everyone.
Come to think of it, I should have stuck a Christmas tree behind Old Indy.:p Enjoy your holidays!

StooTV_07_Medium.jpg

DIrishB

Stoo said:
The next chapter of "The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles" will be ready in the very near future and I think
you folks are going to like it. Because of the differences between the N.American & European versions,
this was a challenge to put together but it's a good one. Old Indy is out on the town in a triple-header
that includes the most gripping bookend of them all. Stay tuned...

Below is a preview inspired by the Young Indy TV Guide issue (that I don't have. Hi, Metalin.;) )
and one of the cards in the Masterpieces set (that I also don't have but, again, metalinvader does.)

So, for my 2003rd post :eek: I would like to say Merry Christmas & Happy Chanuka to everyone.
Come to think of it, I should have stuck a Christmas tree behind Old Indy.:p Enjoy your holidays!

StooTV_07_Medium.jpg

Awesome! Looking forward to it...I've been missing the cranky, wrinkly Indy.

metalinvader

Stoo said:

Woah,Wait a sec...Are you talking about the sketch card that features all the actors that have portrayed Indy?Because that I do not have(Which,Kills me.I really want it!)That card is a one of a kind and kudos to the person who gets it.

Anyways.Amazing cover,Stoo.BTW an alternate headline for your cover could be " All men are scum!",A Taxi drivers confessions.:p

fommes

That two-second reaction where he's like doing his grumpy 'don't-blame-me-I've-got-nothing-to-do-with-it' 'pooh-pooh-pooh' thing in the cab is my single favorite Old Indy moment.

DoomTown

Hey Stoo, thanks for posting the Old Indy stuff, while I agree that the bookends don't really belong at the end of the episodes, for some reason they are much cooler to watch on their own, perhaps just to take a trip down memory lane...I still wonder what Indy got himself into to get that eyepatch...Thanks again!!!!:hat:

Janurary's almost over Stoo, has your next Old Indiana Jones Chronicles episode suffered the fate of every other Indiana Jones product in recent months? i.e. EXTREME DELAYS?

Stoo

Hey, Jeremiah. Yeah, you're pretty much right. The chapter itself has been ready since before X-mas but I've been fiddling
with the opening credits and closing bumper to provide something special for Season 2. If it's not up within the next few days
then expect another delay (going to Scotland!:D) and look for it towards end of the 1st week of Feb.

One cool thing I noticed while putting Part 7 together is an on-screen reference to my favourite band, The Who!(y)

Found this. Artist unknown:

2495718160_e6e7a9dd7c.jpg

DIrishB

Stoo said:
Found this. Artist unknown:

2495718160_e6e7a9dd7c.jpg

Thats a great picture. Love how it incorporates all of the different actors who played the character with Harrison as the center-piece of course. The artwork is spectacular as well.

Looking forward to Part 7 Stoo!

Stoo

Part 7 - Season 2 Premiere

Hey, metalin, I don?t mind. You beat me to it!:)

My favourite group of bookends used to be the mailbox/donut shop/jail (Part 4)
but this one might be taking its place for several reasons:

- Largest production at an exterior location + excellent musical score
- Most poignant & sensible scene featuring a connection with Indy?s past ("Curse of the Jackal" is a contender.)
- 20 secs. of ?new? footage I had never seen before! ("Scandal" Part 2 opening. Thanks to fommes!)
- On-screen reference to my favourite band, The Who, that I had never noticed until a few weeks ago.
(A small prize awaits the 1st person to spot it.)

Putting this one together proved to be the biggest challenge so far since the ?Scandal? bookends were
compiled from 3 different sources (and I couldn?t have completed it without fommes):
- Original English ?Scandal of 1920? (video)
- French dubbed ?Scandal of 1920? (video & audio)
- English w/Dutch subtitles ?New York, June 1920? & ?New York, July 1920? (video & audio)
(Unfortunately, I had to drop a shot from fommes? copy of the 2-parter. I?ll explain later...:(
and just realized that I have a clean, uncorrupted Scandal-Part 1-closer in English without
subtitles but it's too late now. I'll fix it for the DVD.)

So here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9FbjZOdzhI&feature=channel_page

Manhattan, April 1993:
Season 2 starts with the 4th (and last) triple-header. Old Indy (George Hall) is out on the town!
First stop on his nocturnal NYC jaunt is an exhibit of photographs by Vladimir ?Belikov(?)? before
a slow taxi ride delivers him to Times Square for a live performance of George Gershwin?s famous
?Broadway Melody? at the Palace Theater. As feisty as usual, he contemplates life while setting
the facts straight in his attempt to humble every individual he encounters. Watch it until the very
end and enjoy 8 more minutes of Old Indy!:whip:

metalinvader

As I stated earlier,The Petrograd, July 1917 bookends are old Indy at his best.It's so haunting!

As for this Who reference I don't have my glasses on,So I can't really over examine it,but is TOMMY being advertised in neon lights?

That's all I got.After all,I didn't see Indy tipping his hat while talking about the revolution! :p

Great stuff Stoo, been the bookends I've been most looking forward too, especially the Petrograd one. That blurred photo was really moving

Stoo

metalinvader said:
I love this instalment.This is old Indy at his best.The bit with Indy finding himself in the picture is really touching.
metalinvader said:
As I stated earlier,The Petrograd, July 1917 bookends are old Indy at his best.It's so haunting!
Jermiah Jones said:
Great stuff Stoo, been the bookends I've been most looking forward too, especially the Petrograd one. That blurred photo was really moving
MysteryFedoraMan (from YouTube) said:
Fantastic Stuff Stoo, That blurred Photo of Indy? Amazing.. Really moving
Look at the words being used to describe the Petrograd bookends. "Moving", "haunting", "touching"...I agree.
If there was ever one set of bookends to show anyone, it would be the "Petrograd" ones. The most serious
and evocative of the bunch.

metalinvader said:
As for this Who reerence I don't have my glasses on,So I can't really over examine it,but is TOMMY being advertised in neon lights?

That's all I got.After all,I didn't see Indy tipping his hat while talking about the revolution! :p
Ha ha! Nice tip o' the hat to "Won't Get Fooled Again"!:hat: Anyway...you WIN, metalin!:D:whip:
The "Tommy" promo at Times Square perfectly coincides with the events of the "Scandal" airdate!
"Tommy" premiered on Broadway at the St. James Theater (a few blocks away) on April 22nd, '93.
Just goes to show how quickly some of the Old Indy bookends were filmed...

tommy.gif

OldIndy_TOMMY.jpg

Winner's Prize: A double/extra from the Young Indy bubble-gum cards.
Choose one and it's yours! (If you already have 'em, then maybe I can save them for someone else...)
#33 - Close-up on SPF in Belgian uniform w/wedge cap
#90 - Medum shot of Schwietzer on his piano bench
#93 - Shot of Indy, Schwietzer & goat on the "Colette" river-boat

BTW...What did y'all think of the new logo in the opening credits? It was fun to make.
Where is Flannery10? He hasn't posted in awhile.:(

Last edited: