How many pairs of the same shirt and pants did Indy have in his closet?

Marshall2288

Speculation of course but since he pretty much wears the same thing a lot of times, how many pairs did he have? Or did he use the same ones time and time again?

indyclone25

i'm sure he probably had a at least three pair at one time that he could change into if he was going to be out and about , cause i'm guessing being in cairo in the heat you can get stinky sweat all over your clothes and wore them for a week straight , it would reek! and if they got torn and ripped like in the "the temple of doom" he would need to change again.:D

Goodeknight

Well, I have more than half a dozen khaki shirts in my closet...

He would certainly stockpile them. They're obviously his favorite -- a second skin. And they'd get worn out just doing regular archaeology without anyone shooting at you.

Stockpile the shirt and pants -- four to six each. Wear the boots, hat, belts, bag, gloves until they're trashed. Then replace them. (Though he did have the grayish fedora for the early travel scene in Raiders. Might have a few fedoras.)

That just leaves socks and underwear. I hope he has a couple of pairs of each. Hmm -- never seen a thread here for "Does Indy wear boxers or briefs?" Definitely boxers. And he does change them.

HenryJunior

I've been curious about that on Indy's gear, did he lose the hat and whip in Raiders? Is the hat he got as a kid the same one in KOTCS? Obviously costumes have been duplicated, but within the movies he had to have gone through several peices of his gear many times just based how battered or lost it's gotten before.

He probably has several sets of the gear and many Hats based on the fact he has extra gray travel hats.
:whip:

Crack that whip

HenryJunior said:
I've been curious about that on Indy's gear, did he lose the hat and whip in Raiders? Is the hat he got as a kid the same one in KOTCS? Obviously costumes have been duplicated, but within the movies he had to have gone through several peices of his gear many times just based how battered or lost it's gotten before.

He probably has several sets of the gear and many Hats based on the fact he has extra gray travel hats.

I've long assumed that over the course of his career, he has multiples of everything in his outfit (perhaps not all at once, or perhaps so, like Seth Brundle's closet of identical outfits in the 1986 version of The Fly). However, according to the novel Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead, if nothing else the fedora he's wearing at least as late as 1943 is indeed the same one he was given as a kid in Utah, 1912, with lots of maintenance and repairs over the years.

Goodeknight

Crack that whip said:
However, according to the novel Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead, if nothing else the fedora he's wearing at least as late as 1943 is indeed the same one he was given as a kid in Utah, 1912, with lots of maintenance and repairs over the years.

Canon or not, I don't buy that. I've been on enough adventures and had enough gear (pants, shirts, boots, hats, bags, jackets, etc.) get worn out over the years that I know for a fact one hat wouldn't last Indiana Jones 30+ years. It wouldn't matter how much maintenance and repairing you did to it. I don't care if it's an Adventurebilt or a Herbert Johnson. Unless it was made out of titanium, it'd get trashed trying to keep up with Indy.

Perhaps Young Indy's hat is supposed to be the same, but it was styled differently so that it wasn't a spot-on "Indiana Jones" hat. It was floppier and worn out, like Young Indy didn't quite know how to take care of a good fedora yet.

Sean_Patrick_Flanery%2C_The_Young_Indiana_Jones_Chronicles.jpg
indy29.jpg

indyclone25

HenryJunior said:

i always thought that katanga and the bantu wind crew picked up indya and marion from the island , i figured that once marion and he carried the ark back to the base which is apparently empty now since we saw most of the base go to heaven (or hell) that indy radioed for the bantu wind and that was all he need ed to do to get picked up and then delivered to the next part of his trip to america.

ATMachine

HenryJunior said:

According to the Raiders third-draft script, Indy did lose his hat in the film. Twice, in fact! Originally he was to wear a different fedora in the Peruvian temple opening sequence--and it would fly off his head while he was running from the giant boulder, getting crushed underneath it just as Indy made his escape. He gets a new hat before he leaves for Nepal... only to lose it again when he stows away on the Nazi submarine.

IndyJoey

indyclone25 said:
i'm sure he probably had a at least three pair at one time that he could change into if he was going to be out and about , cause i'm guessing being in cairo in the heat you can get stinky sweat all over your clothes and wore them for a week straight , it would reek! and if they got torn and ripped like in the "the temple of doom" he would need to change again.:D

Probably not 3... i would say that he would have 2 changes in his luggage. 2 shirts, 2 pants, extra extra socks, a few pairs of boxers, one jacket, one pair of boots, and his hat/s (grey travel fedora). An extra shirt and pants, in case of them getting ripped apart, or holes in them, like from being shot, or ripped apart. I know that indy would be big on traveling light, clothes wise, because he needs his gun, whip, and satchel. In his closet at home, I'd say, he normally would have around 4 or 5 pairs of pants and shirts... but when the get trashed to get a few more. Probably 2 jackets in his closet, and when his boots get shredded to buy a new pair, unless he can get them fixed, if its just the sole.

kongisking

Crack that whip said:
According to the novel Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead, if nothing else the fedora he's wearing at least as late as 1943 is indeed the same one he was given as a kid in Utah, 1912, with lots of maintenance and repairs over the years.

I never bought that either. Nobody could possibly manage to hold onto a single piece of clothing for that long, especially in Indy's profession.

Damn you, Steve Perry! :rolleyes: