Why does Indy wear glasses?

MalcolmReynolds

I like to think that he needs them to read. Because his character has duality. Bookworm by day and adventure seeker by night. It works because people can relate to other people who have flaws and it makes them more real and believeable. More human. More reachable and it allows for us to except things. We want to be like people that are perfect, but only from a sense that thats a superficial admiration. We can relate to people better when they have flaws and foulable like us. You more likely to trust someone like yourself than someone above you or out of reach. Basic Leadership 101...

JRJENNINGS86

MalcolmReynolds said:
I like to think that he needs them to read. Because his character has duality. Bookworm by day and adventure seeker by night. It works because people can relate to other people who have flaws and it makes them more real and believeable. More human. More reachable and it allows for us to except things. We want to be like people that are perfect, but only from a sense that thats a superficial admiration. We can relate to people better when they have flaws and foulable like us. You more likely to trust someone like yourself than someone above you or out of reach. Basic Leadership 101...

what he said. i also believe that he wears them when he feels the need to. i know i only wear my glasses when i need to use them. i do not like the way i look with glasses on so i am very selfconscience of them, even though i don't need to be.

Dr Bones

I have glasses for driving, although have good enogh vision without to be comfortably legal.

My left eye is better than 20/20 but right eye is weaker and the prescription just gives my vision that bit more sharpness. I figure if you can have your vision spot on for driving, why wouldn't you?

So like Indy, I have specs but use them as I want (but always when driving), even though I don't really rely on them. :cool:

In Indy's day, glasses were seen as nerdy so he perhaps only wore them when he felt it was Ok to come across as intellectual, rather than when being the tough guy. He chose when to wear them.

In reality, like I said before, they were just an affectation/device/prop of the creators to aid the viewer to see Indy as an archeologist instead of just a one dimensional action man.

They enabled to viewer to see more clearly than they did Indy.

RedeemedChild

For the same reason characters like Merlin, Harry Potter or Professor Dumbledore wear glasses. It's a sign of knowledge, intelligence and in some cases even secrecy. That's just my guess.

WillKill4Food

RedeemedChild said:
For the same reason characters like Merlin, Harry Potter or Professor Dumbledore wear glasses. It's a sign of knowledge, intelligence and in some cases even secrecy. That's just my guess.
Since when does Merlin wear glasses?

WilliamBoyd8

Some eyeglasses have special lenses that allow the wearer to see hidden text,
or to tell whether people are human or alien.

:)

Stoo

WillKill4Food said:
Since when does Merlin wear glasses?
Probably in some kiddie video game...:sick:
RedeemedChild said:
It's a sign of knowledge, intelligence and in some cases even secrecy.
Behold, Spaz, from "Caddyshack".:D

8252122.jpg

How are a pair of eyeglasses a sign of "secrecy"?:confused:

Stoo

The Drifter said:
33503_1216210920891_400_300.jpg

I love that cartoon!
Is that from "The Sword and the Stone"?:confused:

Don't know who Cousin Oliver is but he looks like the kid from "Big John Little John".

The Drifter

Stoo said:
Is that from "The Sword and the Stone"?:confused:

Yes, it is. One of my favorite Disney cartoons ever made.

And, "Cousin Oliver" was the cousin that came on The Brady Bunch show during it's last season. He was infamous for being a horrible character and killing the show off.

RedeemedChild

Faleel said:
two words: Clark Kent

LOL. That's is a good answer Faleel although I was alluding to more darker tones, more like that of secret societies, Masonry, Knights of Malta and all of that.

WillKill4Food

RedeemedChild said:
LOL. That's is a good answer Faleel although I was alluding to more darker tones, more like that of secret societies, Masonry, Knights of Malta and all of that.
What?

Also... Sword in the Stone Merlin does not count.

Stoo

Mickiana said:
If he only needs them for reading why does he wear them at the banquet in ToD? He's not reading his dinner. Since he needs them in both situations of up close and further away (up close merely means that's where the blurriness starts, so a shortsighted person may need them for reading. Saying he needs them for reading doesn't tell us exactly what his visual acuity problem is) I assume that he wanted to be able to see his hosts more clearly at the dinner table. He had already heard they were up to no good and maybe thought best to have a good view of them. Also, looking academic would have perhaps raised Chattar Lal's personal estimates of him, who knows?
You may be right about trying to impress Chatter Lal because it's the most logical explanation, especially after their initial meeting. Lal seemed surprised that shabby Indy was the "eminent archaeologist" he had heard about at Oxford (plus Willie made a snarky remark). Perhaps he was slightly embarrassed and felt the need to to make a better impression while dining with a Prime Minister (who also wears glasses)...appearing as a bespectacled peer.
RedeemedChild said:
How do eyeglasses relate to Masonry?:confused:
Stoo said:
Don't know who Cousin Oliver is but he looks like the kid from "Big John Little John".
The Drifter said:
And, "Cousin Oliver" was the cousin that came on The Brady Bunch show during it's last season. He was infamous for being a horrible character and killing the show off.
Geez, now I recall.:sick: Thanks, Drifter, for reguritating a memory that I had tried to erase from my mind.:p

Anyway, I was right. The kid in "Big John Little John" was the same one who played Cousin Oliver (but without the glasses)!:eek: Robbie Rist

Mickiana

That he would see his dinner and his dinner companions more clearly is fairly certain. That he might gain more respect from Chattat Lal et al is a fair possibility. What his prescription is exactly we don't know. I've met people who have correction for long and short sightedness, plus astigmatism all in the one prescription. I'm not saying Indy has all that, but there's a whole gamut of various visual acuity problems one may have and in various combinations too. Reading too much may cause up-close problems in some while causing distance problems in others. I was a book worm as a kid and would often stay up late reading until my eyes ached or until I fell asleep. At 15 I got my first specs and followed the common path of steadily weakening eyes, getting stronger prescriptions every couple of years or so. When I was 25 I heard about Natural Vision Improvement and did some courses and learned how to greatly reverse my myopia through eye exercises and imagination games and reduce my prescription to under half of its original strength. This was under an American lady, Janet Goodrich, who was living here in Australia and teaching the Janet Goodrich Method of Natural Vision Improvement. Her work demonstrated how many visual acuity problems have behavioral causes and can indeed be at least partly and sometimes wholly reversed.

Henry W Jones

FritzDiefenbaker.jpg

The Drifter said:
He looks like a young Toht in that picture!

Right before the ark melts his face off.;)

Also as far as Indy's glasses, I've always wondered how they survived the raft fall in Doom. Or why he wears them to dinner in Doom.:confused: