Rest In Peace, [Insert Name Here]

Pale Horse

Staff member
Nelson Mandela

...?Our nation has lost its greatest son,? President Jacob Zuma said in a televised address on Thursday night, adding that Mr. Mandela had died at 8:50 p.m. local time. ?His humility, his compassion and his humanity earned him our love.?

Mr Zuma called Mr. Mandela?s death ?the moment of our greatest sorrow,? and said that South Africa?s thoughts were now with the former president?s family. ?They have sacrificed much and endured much so that our people could be free,? he said.

Mr. Mandela spent 27 years in prison after being convicted of treason by the white minority government, only to forge a peaceful end to white rule by negotiating with his captors after his release in 1990....

He was 95

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
He was 95
The fact that he apparently generates less talk than Michael Jackson makes me want to ban everyone on this forum.

No exceptions.

Mickiana

RIP Greg and Pat Grant, of Greg Grant Western and Saddlery Gear, who died in a car crash while on holiday in India a handful of hours ago. They were formerly neighbours of mine when I was growing up here in Brisbane. I bought my first whips from Greg when he started trading from his garage. I was thirteen years old and a new Indy fan and of the two whips I still have the old bullwhip I bought back then. The Australian style stockwhip was cracked until it fell apart. I just had dinner with my mum and my oldest brother when another former neighbour rang to tell us the awful news she had heard on TV. Apparently a truck ran over their cab on their way to the airport. This is shattering. :(

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
The fact that he apparently generates less talk than Michael Jackson makes me want to ban everyone on this forum.

No exceptions.

You're surprised by this? Maybe if he had punched a few Nazis in the face as Indy's sidekick or Bam Bam finally fessed up and just told everybody he was from Kenya, which is why he ordered the flag to half staff. Africans need to stick together. You might generate some conversation then.

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
You're surprised by this?
Not really. Just voicing my distaste.

Not that I was expecting a condolence fest or anything, but at least someone should've commented something. And I'm not exactly trying to play an elitist fan either. To be honest, it wasn't even a great tragedy. Everybody dies one day, and given how Mr. Mandela died of old age with 95 years in his meter, it's kinda hard to wonder what more he could have done had he kept on living.

Heh, guess I also have to admit that a man dying of stupidity does make a better talking point than one who died of old age.

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
Not that I was expecting a condolence fest or anything, but at least someone should've commented something. And I'm not exactly trying to play an elitist fan either. To be honest, it wasn't even a great tragedy. Everybody dies one day, and given how Mr. Mandela died of old age with 95 years in his meter, it's kinda hard to wonder what more he could have done had he kept on living.

I don't spend any time on this thread. It's a bit macabre the way people seemingly race over to gleefully post which celebrity has most recently taken a dirt nap. That said, Mr. Mandela is finally, truly free.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AgcTvoWjZJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gear

Mickiana, sorry to hear the loss of someone of fond memories. But you're better off with the experience of having met him and his brother, regardless of the whip.

Le Saboteur said:
It's a bit macabre the way people seemingly race over to gleefully post which celebrity has most recently taken a dirt nap.

Yes, I agree.

Which is why we need a more uplifting thread for us still living here on Earth. Allow me to start off;

4:00 am UTC, future astronaut was born today in some general hospital. Boy, parents thinking of naming him Keith. Family was unavailable for comment regarding possibility of circumcision.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Gear said:
4:00 am UTC, future astronaut was born today in some general hospital. Boy, parents thinking of naming him Xi Xang Yaang. Family was unavailable for comment regarding possibility of circumcision.

Fixed that for you.

Stoo

Finn said:

No exceptions.
South African history is my bag and Mandela was a living legend of our times. His name will live on...
Moedred said:
Is the Spitting Image puppet singing the song in that clip supposed to be Bryan Brown? 'Cuz it sure looks & sounds like him.

WilliamBoyd8

Eleanor Parker, RIP

Eleanor Parker was a long time film actress.

Of interest here, she starred in the 1954 George Pal film "The Human Jungle"
with Charlton Heston, a film set in the South American Amazon area,
and featuring attacking army ants.

Stoo

WilliamBoyd8 said:
Of interest here, she starred in the 1954 George Pal film "The Human Jungle"...
You mean, "The NAKED Jungle".;) To me, her performance is the best thing about that movie. My favourite line from her in it:

"I'm everything your brother described me as! I speak several languages, play piano, I converse intelligently...and have very, nice teeth!"

R.I.P. Eleanor Parker

Indy's brother

Gear said:
And who will gleefully post the headlines of American empire's death?..

It's a slow, morbid march, with many painful moments, but no decided death-blow. The demise of my country staggers on, and will slowly suffocate under the weight of it's own self-aggrandizing, self-important, special interests. There will be no defining moment to be agreed upon, just a bunch of poor people blaming each other while some more efficient superpower looks on.

It's already happened, actually.

I blame the media.

WilliamBoyd8

Joan Fontaine, R.I.P., age 96.

She appeared in more than 30 movies, including "Gunga Din",
supposedly the inspiration for "Temple of Doom".

:(