T.E Lawrence

Indy~Annie

my sister loves the dude (Ted) Indy's friend.and she was wanting pics of Him.and i can NOT find any!! does any body know where i may could find one? please help!

im gonna print it off and give it to her for her B~day.lol

HellofaSandwich

There were actually two actors who played T.E. in the Young Indy series, one who appeared in the pilot ("Curse of the Jackal") and a different one who showed up in Palestine, 1917 ("Daredevils of the Desert") and Paris, 1919 ("Winds of Change).

The actor who played Ned in Curse of the Jackal sort of had a Jude Law-ish vibe to him, now that I think about it.

Stoo

HellofaSandwich said:
There were actually two actors who played T.E. in the Young Indy series, one who appeared in the pilot ("Curse of the Jackal") and a different one who showed up in Palestine, 1917 ("Daredevils of the Desert") and Paris, 1919 ("Winds of Change).

The actor who played Ned in Curse of the Jackal sort of had a Jude Law-ish vibe to him, now that I think about it.
I have a 1st edition of "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"!(y) It was my grandfather's and is complete with paper cover.:D

Yes, the Jude Law thing is there but he (Joseph Bennett) also reminds me of Simon Ward
who played Winston Churchill in "Young Winston":

Pfilm142432068474248.jpg
p_simon_ward.jpg

...and Lt. William Vereker in "Zulu Dawn":

ZuluDawn_Vereker_01.jpg

...but Douglas Henshall looks much more like the real T.E.:

1919_Paris_Ned_01.jpg

410w.jpg

1919_Paris_Ned_02.jpg

tupogirl

Wow, the resemblance is uncanny! I actually thought it was the same actor, aged or something. I lose my young Indy street cred for that, I think.

T.E.Lawrence

For T.E.Lawrence fans (my nick says it all :) I can also recommend excellent movie with Ralph Feinnes "Lawrence after Arabia" - it is his first role. In fact that was the reason why Spielberg has engaded him in Schindler's list.

"Lawrence after Arabia" is sort of a sequel of David Lean's master piece "Lawrence of Arabia".

The events described are centered around Paris conference - the same events from Young Indy's episode WINDS OF CHANGE - and the events are almost inter-connected. Great extended data for the Young Indy and Ned's fans :)

Stoo

T.E.Lawrence said:
For T.E.Lawrence fans (my nick says it all :) I can also recommend excellent movie with Ralph Feinnes "Lawrence after Arabia" - it is his first role. In fact that was the reason why Spielberg has engaded him in Schindler's list.
Yes, I got this film on VHS about 2 years before "Chronicles" began and was pleased that the series featured
an episode about the Paris conference. The full title is actually, "A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia"
and also stars Siddig el-Fadil (Alexander Siddig from Deep Space Nine) as Prince Feisal. Of the many documentaries
on T.E., one of my favourites is "Lawrence And Arabia" because it contains a healthy amount of archival footage.

Regarding my 1st edition of Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom", I must admit that I have never read it but
am mighty glad to have it in my possession.

T.E.Lawrence said:
The events described are centered around Paris conference - the same events from Young Indy's episode WINDS OF CHANGE - and the events are almost inter-connected. Great extended data for the Young Indy and Ned's fans
Absolutely! I recall mentioning it in another thread. GREAT companion piece to the series!(y)

You should read it stoo, mines falling apart. Theres alot of fiction and exagerattion in it though. Tried to read it a second time when I was in Jordan, but sorta had a falling out with Lawrence and his writing style around then, read all his letters as well, I was a bit of a nut on the subject for awhile.

Crack that whip

I believe the original actor was simply unavailable at the time they were shooting the later episodes, though it worked out that they were playing Lawrence in different time periods, and could be thought of as the "younger" and "slightly older" Lawrence (though recasting wasn't at all required the way it was for Indy at his different ages).

Just finished reading Lowell Thomas's 'With Lawrence in Arabia' the 1936 edition, a lovely old second (probably third or fourth) handed book. Probably the most Hyperbolic thing I've ever read, totally exageratting Lawrence to almost superhuman proportions, can't say 'Arabia' he has to say 'Land of the Arabian Nights'

Anyway, one thing that really struck me, that I'd never really considered before, is that Ned was only 5'3'' which is tiny. Hes always portrayed as so tall.

Stoo

Hey, Jeremiah. I knew about his height because of seeing him in some photographs next to other people. It was even pointed out in a old UK documentary. There's a photograph (I *think* it was taken in Damascus) where T.E. is standing amongst a casual group of other British officers and he's the shortest of them all.

Congrats on finding that early Lowell Thomas edition! He also wrote a book, "Count Luckner, The Sea Devil". My girlfriend's great-grandfather had Luckner for a captain during WW1 and she has a paperback edition of it. Lots of great adventure in there (however embellished it may possibly be)!

I was really pleased to see that Indy encountered Lowell in "Tales of Innocence". Can you imagine the book he would have written about Indy?

Yeah, just imagine it! He'd have had to have written a series, 'With Lawrence in Arabia and Indiana all over the world'

I keep finding my mind trying to fit indy into events, especially with mention of Beersheba and such things... silly I know

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
I was really pleased to see that Indy encountered Lowell in "Tales of Innocence". Can you imagine the book he would have written about Indy?

For that matter, who's to say that in the Indyverse, Lowell Thomas didn't write a book about Indy??
:eek:

Hmmm... this is an intriguing possibility you've raised, Stoo. Perhaps a future comic or novel could explore this idea...
:cool: :whip:

Stoo

The Legacy of Lawrence of Arabia

Tonight, at 8.00pm, on BBC 2 is "The Legacy of Lawrence of Arabia"!(y) I guess part 2 will be next Saturday...

"Part 1 of 2. Former soldier and diplomat Rory Stewart studies the writings of TE Lawrence, discussing his perception that Western military intervention in the Middle East is fundamentally unworkable. Though Lawrence is required reading in American military circles, the internationally-acclaimed hero long felt his successful role in the Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire at the end of World War One was undermined by the political deals he was forced to make in the aftermath."

lairdo

Hi all,

Great thread, and I had no idea about the Ralph Fiennes movie. I've found it on DVD for $20 and ordered it. Can't wait to see it!

I have to say when I worked on YI, I totally got into the history aspect of it. Besides already loving history (my mom's a historian), I didn't really know anything about this period of time. (My mom focuses on pre-Civil War, so we went to a lot of old 18th century houses when I was a kid but never any good WWI or WWII battlefields!)

One thing I discovered about TE Lawrence is that he did a prose translation of The Odyssey. It's quite good, and while I would always tell people to read the translated verse version first, it's a nice companion to that. Simply titled The Odyssey of Homer, it was published in 1932. I have a 1991 re-relesae. It was originally published by "TE Shaw" but that was a pen name. The book was a bestseller in its day.

Laird