Your Indy Fiction Collection Discussion...

IdaJ

Indy Fiction

Well, My collection is not that big:p
I live in norway you see, so I don't get to buy very much of the Indy fiction unless I order it over the internet. But I'm not empty handed;)
I've got:
-The Lost Journal Of Indiana Jones
-The Ultimate Guide: Indiana Jones
besides I've ordered and I'm waiting for:
-The Complete Making Of Indiana Jones

By the way, I'm working on my own Indy story. As a Fan-Fiction story.
It's called "Indiana Jones and the curse of the Flaming Ruby" It's allready nine pages long!!

Planned to write another fan-fiction story called "Indiana Jones and the race for the Frozen Diamond" :)

DIrishB

So just wanted to revive this thread a little, and update my collection list since I've had a rash of good luck finding the items I needed.

DIrishB said:
Wanted to start a thread for general discussion of the various Indy novels, comics, RPGs, etc, but aimed from a collecting standpoint. For instance, do you own any rare or valuable Indy novels or comics. Are there any particular pieces of your collection you're especially proud of? Or are there certain books or comics you're still looking for to complete your collections? For me, I'm an avid Indy collector, especially when it comes to the expanded universe fiction.

My Indy Expanded Universe collection includes:

-all the regular novels (MacGregor, McCoy, Caidin)

-6 of the 8 Hohlbein German novels (still need two)

-comics/trades released in the US (all the Further Adventures of IJ by Marvel, as well as all the DH comics)

-printed copies of the very rare UK tales Mountains of Superstition and Treasure of Monte Cassana scans courtesy of BrodyIsDead (y)

-I have two of the three French Indy comics (the original Bagheera version of Cite de la Foundre, and the Shell reprint of Secret de la Pyramid)

-complete collection of the TSR Indy RPGs, and an almost complete collection of the WEG Indy RPG's (only missing 1 WEG book - Lands of Adventure)

-a couple of rare RPG adventures in their original publications (Shadis #17 and #35/36), and printed copies of ALL other RPG adventures from various other RPG/Gaming magazines

I'm still looking for a lot of the European, hard-to-find in the US Indy fiction:

-still need two of the German novels by Hohlbein: IJ und die Gefiederte Schlange and IJ und das Gold von El Dorado

Got both of these off Ebay.de

-Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit (and preferably the Bagheera version of Secret de la Pyramid...I have the Shell version)

Also tracked down both of these on a French website, Toupapier.com

-and all seven Young Indy (Indiana Jones Jr) French original novels: Indiana Jones Jr et le Météorite Sacrée, Indiana Jones Jr et le Triangle des Bermudes, Indiana Jones Jr et le Fantôme du Klondike, Indiana Jones Jr et l'Ampoule Radioactive, Indiana Jones Jr et le Violon du Metropolitan, Indiana Jones Jr et l'Enfant Lama, Indiana Jones Jr et le Spectre de Venise

Tracked down ALL of these on various French websites: Ebay.fr, Ebay.be (Belgium), 2xmoinscher.com, Marche.com, etc

-only missing one RPG book, the WEG Indy RPG Lands of Adventure book (this is available in the US, just hard to find)

Managed to find one of these on Ebay too.

I also found a German Indy board game I didn't even know about (which features an original story to set it up) on Ebay.de. The game is called "Indiana Jones - Der Weg nach Timbuktu" which translates as "Indiana Jones and the Journey (or Path?) to Timbuktu". It still hasn't arrived, but should be here in the next few weeks. I'll take pics and post them when it arrives.

Other than that, just eagerly awaiting the upcoming Indy releases for 2009:

-the remaining two issues (#3-4) of the Tomb of the Gods comic

-The Further Adventures Omnibus Vol. 1 (and 2-3 when they're released later in the year)

-Indiana Jones Adventures, Volume 2

-the new novel IJ & the Army of the Dead and the two young adult novels Pyramid of the Sorcerer and Monsters of Mount Sinai

-and of course, the upcoming video game Staff of Kings, which will hopefully be out late next year (God I hope...)

So my collection is ALMOST complete at this point (not counting the stuff that isn't out...I've already pre-ordered it all through Amazon anyway (y) ).

Literally the only things I still need to complete my collection are:

Indiana Jones and the Ape Slaves of Howling Island (the 1st printing/original edition)

Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients (the old text adventure PC game...not sure if I'll ever track down an original copy of this one, since its quite rare and held dearly by the few Indy or old software collectors who own copies)

And one more thing...the Old Indiana Jones Chronicles, courtesy of Stoo...someday! ;)

Last edited:

Plaristes

Where's the envy emoticon? :p
Is your collection really nearly complete? Do you have all the various child/young adult adaptations, the scripts, etc.? Apparently there's a comic in the UK-only Indiana Jones and His Greatest Adventures (or whatever it's called; the one "written" by Belloq's son), and the stuff in The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones is supposed to be in-universe.

DIrishB said:
Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients (the old text adventure PC game...not sure if I'll ever track down an original copy of this one, since its quite rare and held dearly by the few Indy or old software collectors who own copies)

I've been looking for this too. I have seen all of one show up in the past 3+ years, and it was right at the time my mother died so I didn't even know it was on eBay.

I have most of the books, but not the German ones. I also have all of the comics except the new ones.

DIrishB

Plaristes said:
Where's the envy emoticon? :p
Is your collection really nearly complete? Do you have all the various child/young adult adaptations, the scripts, etc.?

I still need the adult novelizations of the films, but that'll be it. As for the various scripts, I'm not interested. "What If" type material doesn't belong in my Indy collection. ;)

Apparently there's a comic in the UK-only Indiana Jones and His Greatest Adventures (or whatever it's called; the one "written" by Belloq's son),

I don't think thats a comic. I'm pretty sure its just a Lost Journal/Ultimate Guide type book which chronicles Indy's adventures from Belloq's son's point of view. They're like diary entries.

and the stuff in The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones is supposed to be in-universe.

It is, but its basically just summarizing the adventures which are already chronicled in the movies, books, comics, etc.

Edward The Head said:
I've been looking for this too. I have seen all of one show up in the past 3+ years, and it was right at the time my mother died so I didn't even know it was on eBay.

I've been looking for years, as well, and I've NEVER seen one for sale. I honestly think this will be the one Indy item I'll never track down. Its like my Indy Holy Grail or something.

Oh well...I can live with the rom/emulator version I downloaded and then burned onto a CD...I even printed out the original cover art for the game and printed it on the DVD box and CD face.

It'll do, but I'd love to check out the real thing.

On a related note, I did manage to find a copy of Indiana Jones in the Lost Kingdom (original Indy adventure for the Commodore 64) on Ebay.ca (Canada) about 8 months ago. Its one of my most treasured Indy collectibles since its in perfect shape and isn't missing anything...has the disk, manual, original binder/cover, advertisements for other games by the company, and even the little red visor to read the secret hints in the manual!

I have most of the books, but not the German ones. I also have all of the comics except the new ones.

The new ones are the best. Tomb of the Gods and the IJ Adventures (digest) are both the strongest Indy comics ever produced (far out-doing any of the previous Dark Horse or Marvel Indy comics). Tomb of the Gods has a great story and the artwork is amazing, and Adventures is just a fun tale in its own right, and the simplistic/cartoony art style works very well. Definitely check them out when you can. I can't encourage people enough to read those tales...some of the best Indy material since Last Crusade, honestly.

Plaristes

I meant that I had heard that the Greatest Adventures book has a comic within it (an adaptation of part of one of the films, I think). And by adaptations, I was including all the ones intended for kids and teens, like the choose your own adventure adaptations of the Young Indy episodes, the read-along book/records of the first three films, the young adult novelizations of some of the Young Indy episodes, the Chronicle Books adaptations of the first three films, etc. I won't feel like my collection is complete until I've got all of these too.
I know, I'm too much of a completist for my own good. :p

Lao_Che

Plaristes said:
I meant that I had heard that the Greatest Adventures book has a comic within it (an adaptation of part of one of the films, I think).

That's an in-universe comic by Phoenix Jones about recovering the Cross of Coronado.

DIrishB

Plaristes said:
And by adaptations, I was including all the ones intended for kids and teens, like the choose your own adventure adaptations of the Young Indy episodes, the read-along book/records of the first three films, the young adult novelizations of some of the Young Indy episodes, the Chronicle Books adaptations of the first three films, etc. I won't feel like my collection is complete until I've got all of these too.
I know, I'm too much of a completist for my own good. :p

Oh, I gotcha! No, I don't have all the various adaptations, no interest in them. I figure if I have the actual movie/episode, there's not much point to reading that same adventure again in a book. While I suspend that belief for the movies themselves (I've read the young adult adaptations of all the Indy films, but have been meaning to read the adult versions as well), the TV episodes, etc seems like overkill (to me). But I do understand the completist mind-set, so no judgement. I'm a completist with weird and somewhat discriminating rules, after all. ;)

So, yeah, I have a copy of almost ALL the original Indy stories produced, but not necessarily various adaptations of the movies and episodes.

I meant that I had heard that the Greatest Adventures book has a comic within it (an adaptation of part of one of the films, I think).

Lao_Che said:
That's an in-universe comic by Phoenix Jones about recovering the Cross of Coronado.

So is it merely an adaptation of the opening of Last Crusade, or does it feature any new material? If it features some new story material, I do need to pick it up...but if its just what I've already seen in the movie, not much point.

Stoo

DIrishB said:
So, yeah, I have a copy of almost ALL the original Indy stories produced, but not necessarily various adaptations of the movies and episodes.
I think the only "young adult" adaptation worth having is Temple of Doom because of the extra content.

DIrishB said:
So is it merely an adaptation of the opening of Last Crusade, or does it feature any new material? If it features some new story material, I do need to pick it up...but if its just what I've already seen in the movie, not much point.
Yeah, there's nothing new. It's a 5-page booklet of the Utah adventure in pencil-sketch (quite good, though).
I posted a photo here to give a "sneak peak" of what it looks like: The Greatest Adventures of Indiana Jones

My "expanded universe/original stories" Indy fiction collection includes:
-All the Marvel "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones"
-Starblazer's "Cave of Death"
-All the Bantam novels
-"Fate of Atlantis" video game
-Dark Horse: original publications (missing 2 or 3 issues:()
-Dark Horse: Young Indy (#3-8)
-Dark Horse: Omnibus Vol. 1 & 2
-Tomb of Gods 1 & 2
-Adventures of... #1

...and of course:

-Lost Journal
-Ultimate Guide
-Greatest Adventures

That's all for now but will soon change because there's a Special Delivery waiting for me at home! X-mas is coming 2 weeks early!;)
(Looking forward to the "Army of the Dead" novel, too, when it finally get published...)

Lao_Che

DIrishB said:

Well, it's new material in the sense that you get the story from Young Indiana Jones's perspective. ;)

Stoo said:
I think the only "young adult" adaptation worth having is Temple of Doom because of the extra content.

Yeah, apart from the Kao Kan/Chen mix up (or retcon?) there's a lot in those opening pages. Just a shame there's not more throughout. Suzanne Weyn surprised me as I expected there to be more from Ryder Windham for some reason. Sure things like Fedora = Garth get fixed...ish but Weyn embraced continuity and added more.

For me, the KotCS book is probably only ahead of Raiders and Last Crusade because Luceno didn't have the finished film to work with.

Stoo

Lao_Che said:
Well, it's new material in the sense that you get the story from Young Indiana Jones's perspective. ;)
Unfortunately not.:( Even though Belloq Jr. seems to believe that Indy drew the comic, it's all written in the 3rd person perspective.
There are no extra bits of insight, info or story but it's still cool to have.

Lao_Che

Stoo said:
Unfortunately not.:( Even though Belloq Jr. seems to believe that Indy drew the comic, it's all written in the 3rd person perspective.
There are no extra bits of insight, info or story but it's still cool to have.

Jones having Spielberg's directing skills is insightful. ;)

DIrishB

Stoo said:

Thats exactly how I look at it.

Yeah, there's nothing new. It's a 5-page booklet of the Utah adventure in pencil-sketch (quite good, though).
I posted a photo here to give a "sneak peak" of what it looks like: The Greatest Adventures of Indiana Jones

Ah, ok, thanks!

My "expanded universe/original stories" Indy fiction collection includes:
-All the Marvel "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones"
-Starblazer's "Cave of Death"
-All the Bantam novels
-"Fate of Atlantis" video game
-Dark Horse: original publications (missing 2 or 3 issues:()
-Dark Horse: Young Indy (#3-8)
-Dark Horse: Omnibus Vol. 1 & 2
-Tomb of Gods 1 & 2
-Adventures of... #1

What's "Cave of Death"?

...and of course:

-Lost Journal
-Ultimate Guide
-Greatest Adventures

That's all for now but will soon change because there's a Special Delivery waiting for me at home! X-mas is coming 2 weeks early!;)
(Looking forward to the "Army of the Dead" novel, too, when it finally get published...)

Just wait, you have another package about to be sent out!

Army of the Dead (besides the upcoming Staff of Kings video game) is my most anticipated Indy release. I've always looked forward to more WWII era Indy tales.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Guys, would you believe, I actually got an Indy Lit surprise for Christmas! The "Greatest Adventures of Indiana Jones" scrapbook thing is in Australia as well as the UK it seems. I never saw it anywhere until now. So we've got a brand spanking new book in the collection, hooray! (y)

Stoo was right about the mistakes in the book. I found two characters were named incorrectly. Under a photo of Colonel Vogel, he was named "Colonel Dietrich" and under a photo of General Ross, he was named "Colonel Dovchenko". Hahahaha! They soooo didn't do their research!

Now the only books I'm missing from what I like to call the 'Modern' collection (post-KOTCS) is Issue 3 of TotG, Meet Indy and Meet Mutt Young Readers and the Complete Guide to Indiana Jones and those DK Sticker books. :D

DIrishB

Indy Collection Pics (DVD's, Novels, Comics, RPG's, Video Games, etc)

Finally got around to taking some pics of my collection. As it stands now, my collection is pretty much complete.

Onto the pictures (followed by a description of everything thats included):

IndyCollectionPics002.jpg

Here's my DVD's and most of my Young Indy stuff:

All 3 volumes of the Young Indy DVDs, as well as the four theatrical movies (including the young adult novelizations of the first three films collected in the hardcover...still need the adult novelizations of all four films and the young adult novelization of Crystal Skull).

Also in this picture is my complete collection of Young Indy novels, as well as the original seven French Young Indy novels...I had a hell of a time tracking those down. Also included is the Young Indy video game for the Sega Genesis (complete with cover, game, and even the manual!).

IndyCollectionPics001.jpg

Here's the rest of my Indy novels...all 12 novels released here in the US (at least so far), as well as all 11 Find Your Fate books (still looking for the original cover for the Ape Slaves of Howling Island), and all 8 original German novels.

IndyCollectionPics003.jpg

Here's my Indy video game collection:

First is Emperor's Tomb (on PS2).

The next one is my home-made version of Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients. I'd love to track down the original version of this, but its VERY hard to find. So, I downloaded a Rom and Emulator, burned them onto a disc, and printed out the original cover art/photo for the game and put it into a DVD sleeve. Turned out much better than I ever expected it to. I'd still much prefer the real thing, though.

Its not visible in this pic (but you can see it in the previous one), but Indiana Jones in His Desktop Adventures is tucked between my home-made RotA and Lost Kingdom games. It features the original binder/folder, and the 3.5" disk.

Next is one of my most prized Indy collectibles: IJ in the Lost Kingdom. The first Indy game to feature an original storyline, this Commodore 64 game is in perfect condition. Includes the original binder, instructions, game disk (old school floppy), etc. It has everything originally included. I'm so proud to own this one.

Next up are Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine, both PC versions. I'll eventually get around to shelling out the money to get the CD version of FoA with the audio dialogue (instead of texted). Just because. Also is the Infernal Machine Strategy Guide, since it includes a bit of original story material (that serves as a prequel to the game itself).

IndyCollectionPics004.jpg

Next up is my Indy comic collection. Have both Omnibus volumes released so far. Wedged in between Omnibus Vol. 2 and the single issues is the Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 (Digest Comic), just can't see it in the pic due to the angle. The single issues are the first three issues of Tomb of the Gods (can't wait for #4!), and the complete 34 issue run of the Further Adventures series. Once all 3 FA Omnibus' have been released, I'll Ebay the single issues.

And next is another of my most prized Indy possessions: ALL three volumes of the French Indy comics by Bagheera. Special thanks to Mark (indyclone25) for helping me finish up a hole in my collection there.

IndyCollectionPics008.jpg

Here's my complete Indy RPG collection. Included are ALL the West End Games RPG books, as well as all the TSR adventure modules (all located within the first green box). The second green box (TSR) contains print-outs of several rare Indy RPG adventures or comics/short stories like the April 1916 Young Indy comic tale or the "Indy in China" short story located in the Young Indy Magazine, as well as the Mountains of Superstition and Treasure of Monte Cassana comic scans.

IndyCollectionPics006.jpg

Finally, another of my treasure foreign Indy collectibles. Indiana Jones Der Weg Nach Timbuktu (Indiana Jones and the Journey to Timbuktu) is a German board game (made in 1990) featuring an original story of Indy setting out to retrieve an artifact and having to race against several people trying to impersonate him to get it. This game has all the original cards and pieces (and dice).

Of course, there's still a few things missing. I still need to track down:

Indiana Jones and the Ape Slaves of Howling Island (original cover, Find Your Fate #16)

Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients (the original game itself to replace my home-made version)

I'll also be picking up the upcoming Indy released, including Tomb of the Gods #4 (and the TPB when it comes out), the Further Adventures Omnibus Volume 1 (and Vol. 2-3 when they're released), the young adult novels Pyramid of the Sorcerer and Monsters of Mount Sinai, the Army of Dead novel, and the Staff of Kings video game (and its accompanying novelization).

...and one more thing...one day, I'll have a DVD with all the Old Indy bookends on them, once Stoo finishes editing them all together...

That should keep me busy for a little while. ;)

Last edited:

Plaristes

(y) Where's the envy emoticon? :p

Seriously, that's pretty awesome. I won't even bother to post a pic of my collection, since it's so inferior to yours (although I do have a few things you don't have, like the Ultimate Guide, Lost Journal, and some of the Young Indy adaptations).

Morning Bell

That's a great collection you have there!(y)

A lot of my Indy stuff is backed into a giant box under my bed because I haven't had time to put it all out yet. I bought a new DVD shelf that's HUGE and should give me ample space to display all of my books/games/memorabilia when I find time to get them out.

Again, nice work!

indyclone25

i'll post pics of my book collection soon --- i have had to buy two book shelves to get some of my indy collection in my star wars collection room as soon as i have everything set i will show the pics

DIrishB

Plaristes said:
(y) Where's the envy emoticon? :p

Seriously, that's pretty awesome.

Thanks! Its nothing compared to a lot of fellow Ravener's collections, but I've always been into the Indy expanded universe material.

Its less about signed photos, props/replicas, scripts, etc, and more about the continuing and further adventures of Indy--even if most fall far short of the original trilogy, Crystal Skull included...but thats to be expected, to be fair.

Ever since I happened upon some of the Indy Dark Horse comics in the 90's, I've tried to collect every bit of EU Indy material.

Really, I just love the character when it comes down to it, and for me its this stuff that does if for me. ;)

Again, nothing beats the original trilogy, and those three films are Indy at his best, but the character is great in any form.

But God, I'd kill to own some of the replicas and other stuff that the fellow collector's here have posted, and I'm not even into replicas. But having a replicas Sankara Stone or Holy Grail...or hell, even a full size Ark! Thats just friggin' cool.

Eventually, I'm sure I'll get to that point in my Indy collecting.

I won't even bother to post a pic of my collection, since it's so inferior to yours (although I do have a few things you don't have, like the Ultimate Guide, Lost Journal, and some of the Young Indy adaptations).

I've been meaning to pick up the Ultimate Guide and Lost Journal books. For me, its really all about original and new Indy adventures, hence I'm not only a big fan of the Indy films (well, the first three), but a big fan of the spin-offs (novels, comics, games, RPGs, etc) which feature original stories and expand on the Indy universe (much like the Star Wars Expanded Universe material).

That being said, I still want to pick up the adult novelizations of all four films for their various added material or character exposition which isn't in the films, as well as the young adult novelization of Crystal Skull, for the same reason. And of course the Ultimate Guide and Lost Journal for the insights and respective timelines.

Also, since the comic adaptations of the first three movies will be included in the Further Adventures Omnibus volumes, I don't have to bother tracking down those original issues. And maybe the Crystal Skull adaptation will be in volume 3 in addition to the Last Crusade adaptation...? Otherwise I'll have to spend money on the TPB of that crummy adaptation instead of just getting it as a non-impressive bonus to the third volume. :(

Morning Bell said:
That's a great collection you have there!(y)

A lot of my Indy stuff is backed into a giant box under my bed because I haven't had time to put it all out yet. I bought a new DVD shelf that's HUGE and should give me ample space to display all of my books/games/memorabilia when I find time to get them out.

Again, nice work!

Thanks man!

Thats my biggest problem, I need some decent shelving. I've been meaning to pick up a nice bookshelf, but space is an issue at my place. I live in a Key West style house (ie, modern and nice, but small) right on the intracoastal waterway, so there's not much space in the two bedrooms beyond the beds, dresser(s), etc. I guess I can look into some hanging wall shelves, but I'll have to sink them into the wall studs (those DVDs, books, and RPGs add up in terms of weight).

Ah, the tribulations of properly displaying one's Indy collection. ;)

indyclone25 said:
i'll post pics of my book collection soon --- i have had to buy two book shelves to get some of my indy collection in my star wars collection room as soon as i have everything set i will show the pics

Look forward to it.

Thanks again, by the way!