High-Res VHS Cover Artwork?

MDew

Does anybody know the history of the VHS artwork? I think the similarities between Butkus' and Struzan's work is amazing - I just thought Struzan had done them. It's interesting that they each have rough sketches of posters the other ended up doing (ex. the Harry Potter sketches on Butkus' site). I wonder what the story is there...:confused:

Stoo

Hi, MDew. There is an interview with Drew where he talks about this.

Apparently, he was asked to do the covers and, while still in the rough stage, was told to hold off working on them numerous times for (I think) over a year! By the time he was given the green light to proceed and complete them, he busy with another job and wouldn't be able to meet the ridiculously short deadline. The sketches were then passed on to Butkus for the finals.

Hope that helps. The article is around somewhere but I can't remember where, unfortunately.:(

MDew

Ah, now it makes sense. It would be so cool if they made posters of those, I'd get the whole collection! If you ever get a chance to see the original Drew Struzans, they are so much more vibrant in person. I remember seeing the Harry Potter one many years back, it was insane! Some day when I'm rich I'll hire Drew to do an epic portrait of me. (y)

Stoo

MDew said:
Some day when I'm rich I'll hire Drew to do an epic portrait of me.
Heh, that would cost a pretty penny considering Mr. Struzan is now officially retired.:(
Inexorable Tash said:
Has anyone communicated with Butkus to see if he did the Trenches/Daredevils/Hawkmen covers?
There doesn't seem to be any reason to believe that he didn't do them but it is rather odd that those 3 are not included with the rest.

InexorableTash

Mike Butkus updated his site: http://www.mikebutkus.net/

WARNING: the web design is TERRIBLE. His entire thumbnail collection is on the one page and it took around 30 seconds for the cached version to load for me. Bleah.

No new color versions of the YIJ "posters", but two new tidbits:

Sketch of the artwork for YIJ "Tales of Innocence":
mg398.jpg

Sketch of poster artwork for the Disney Indiana Jones Adventure ride:
mg323.jpg

(The upper right looks like the basis for http://spyhunter007.com/Images/disneyland_indiana_jones_adventure.jpg - I didn't know Butkus was the artist.)

Stoo

Inexorable Tash said:
No new color versions of the YIJ "posters", but two new tidbits:
GREAT discoveries, Mr. Tash!(y)

The "Tales of Innocence" rough is a nice addition to the other 3 we already have ("Trenches of Hell", "Masks of Evil" and "Hollywood Follies") and while we know that Butkus did all of the finished paintings based on Drew Struzan's sketches, I'm assuming that Drew had little or nothing to do with these 4 (judging by the pencil work).

Up to this point, it seems that the artist for the 3 "Forbidden Eye" posters was relatively unknown (unless I missed something) so that mystery appears to have been solved. The top right is the closest to the finished product but they are all pretty cool.

MDew

If anybody has any high-res (like 1k-2k pixels) Young Indy photos could you PM me? Some promo photos/magazine scans would be perfect. Thanks!

InexorableTash

And while we're asking... I just learned that the sides of the VHS boxes have the cover art without the title overlays. Can anyone verify?

I'm sure these will be low resolution, but if anyone has the boxes can you scan the sides of Trenches, Hawkmen, Daredevils, Peacock, and Hollywood? We only have the VHS cover art for those, no source-artwork from Butkus.

(Not quite true: on http://www.movieposterdb.com/movie/0103586/The-Young-Indiana-Jones-Chronicles.html you can find higher-res versions of Trenches and Hollywood, but still with titles.)

MDew

InexorableTash said:
And while we're asking... I just learned that the sides of the VHS boxes have the cover art without the title overlays. Can anyone verify?

Yes, I can verify - though it is very small. The chapter titles slightly overlay the bottom of them too, and the way they wrap around the edge of the box cuts off the sides. I can try though, I have them all...

Stoo

According to Drew, he didn't paint any of them so I think Mr. Butkus is incorrect about that (with all due respect to him, of course). The question remains: Who painted the other 5?:confused:

The bit about the Disney guy is news if it's true but it only makes things more confusing since Butkus, himself, did some of the designs! For sure 2 of them and possibly 3.

In my files, I have a .jpg that is supposed to be Butkus' sketch for "Phantom Train" but it must be corrupted because it won't open. Did he actually do this one or have I misnamed the file? Tash, do you have a sketch for this?

If he did that one, then Butkus designed at least 3 (along with "Oganga" and "Innocence"). Drew sketched at least 3. What is with this Disney guy? Speculations, anyone?:confused:

From the Cool Custom DVD covers! thread:
Avilos re: Young Indy artwork said:
Struzan revealed said in a recent interview that George Lucas bought the original pencil drawings that he did. I would love to see those published somewhere.
Since then, InexorableTash has found 3. How many more did Drew do and does Georgey-boy still have them?:confused:

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
if it's true but it only makes things more confusing since Butkus, himself, did some of the designs! For sure 2 of them and possibly 3.
It doesn't surprise me that Butkus used some of Drew's pencils, but did others on his own. He's a damn good artist.
Stoo said:
In my files, I have a .jpg that is supposed to be Butkus' sketch for "Phantom Train" but it must be corrupted because it won't open. Did he actually do this one or have I misnamed the file? Tash, do you have a sketch for this?
Nope. Send me the file, maybe I can tease something out?
Stoo said:
If he did that one, then Butkus designed at least 3 (along with "Oganga" and "Innocence"). Drew sketched at least 3. What is with this Disney guy? Speculations, anyone?:confused:
Yeah - I wonder if Butkus just has Lucas/Disney on the brain? Otherwise... was there any Disney connection with the video releases? Maybe he was thinking Lucas?

InexorableTash

I did a little bit of Photoshoppery to remove the titles from the "Joven Indiana Jones" version of Trenches. The detail on the top of the Indy's helmet was constructed using Drew's pencils.

08-Trenches-of-Hell.jpg

Bigger version linked to from here

I'm working on Peacock next. Unfortunately the crown of the fedora is completely obscured so it will require some creativity.

InexorableTash

Hypothesis:

• Paintings with Indy directly facing the viewer are from pencils by Drew, painted over by Butkus or other artists
  • Paintings with Indy looking to the side are original pencils/paint by Butkus

Let's go through the list:

• 06 Spring Break: Indy looking to the side. Pencils: ???. Paint: Butkus.
  • 08 Trenches: Indy facing viewer. Pencils: Drew. Paint: ???.
  • 10 Phantom Train: Indy looking to the side. Pencils: ???. Paint: Butkus.
  • 11 Oganga: Indy looking to the side. Pencils: Butkus. Paint: Butkus.
  • 12 Hawkmen: Indy looking to the side. Pencils: ???. Paint: ???.
  • 13 Secret Service: Indy looking to the side. Pencils: ???. Paint: Butkus.
  • 15 Daredevils: Indy looking to the side. Pencils: ???. Paint: ???.
  • 16 Innocence: Indy looking to the side. Pencils: ???. Paint: Butkus.
  • 17 Masks: Indy facing viewer. Pencils: Drew. Paint: Butkus.
  • 18 Peacock: Indy facing viewer. Pencils: ???. Paint: ???.
  • 20 Mystery: Indy looking to the side. Pencils: ???. Paint: Butkus.
  • 22 Hollywood: Indy facing viewer. Pencils: Drew. Paint: ???.

Hawkmen, Daredevils, and Peacock are the only ones we know nothing about. Based on this hypothesis:

• Daredevils is probably based on pencils by Drew
  • Peacock is probably based on pencils by Drew
  • Hawkmen is based on original pencils.

Stylistically, Drew is well known for bold angular edges and (although not relevant here) blockier colors. Butkus' style uses subtle lighting on skin and vibrant color but with smooth blending.

Hawkmen doesn't really match the style of either Drew or Butkus. It does have the same orange outline as Peacock.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Yeah - I wonder if Butkus just has Lucas/Disney on the brain? Otherwise... was there any Disney connection with the video releases? Maybe he was thinking Lucas?
No Disney connection with the VHS releases that I'm aware of. This is confusing. What is Mr. Butkus talking about?:confused:
InexorableTash said:
Let's go through the list:
We think alike so this is neat & funny at the same time.;) I prepared a similar list/chart right after sending you the mystery image but put a BLANK space for the 'Pencils' of "Phantom Train" in hopes that you'd be able to open the problematic file (which you've categorized as: ???).
InexorableTash said:
I did a little bit of Photoshoppery to remove the titles from the "Joven Indiana Jones" version of Trenches. The detail on the top of the Indy's helmet was constructed using Drew's pencils.
Excellent job on erasing the title from the "Trenches" artwork, Tash!(y) Now you need to add the bottom portion from the VHS cover!:whip:

InexorableTash

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye

Here's #2 in the "Removing the Text" department:

Peacock%27s%20Eye.png

This one was a beast to tackle. So many little details (the native warrior on the bottom, the Buddha on the right) and worst of all - the fedora!

I found a copy of the publicity photo this was drawn from on eBay. Unfortunately the top of the hat was cut off as well but at least there was a hint to the shading. I took some liberties with the outline to make it capture the Indy vibe, but you're getting this from a non-Artiste here so be happy with what ya got.

Lots of hints of detail off the sides - the gun, the snake, the warrior's spear (?), Indy fighting on the left? Hopefully someday the original will surface.

For those keeping score, that leaves Daredevils (w/ the horrible SPF likeness!), Hollywood Follies (easy-peasy), and Hawkmen (hats... why did it have to be hats?)

Last edited:

InexorableTash

w00t, found my folder of scans of the VHS box side panels that have the artwork without overlays. Albeit low resolution, half-toned, and feathered to yellow. Still, takes out the guesswork. Daredevils is in progress, and I'll probably retouch the last two a bit.