Which jacket should I get?

Mickiana said:
Just looked at the pics and the jacket either is not the right size or cut for you or it was made incorrectly. As an Indy jacket it doesn't look great. There seems to be plenty of faults in it, as you say, with the collar, seams and the way it sits out at the back. I'd get it exchanged or refunded. Go for the refund and get a Wested.

...possibly... But I am a poor starving college student...

The_Raiders

Damn, RA, and yours is from Todd's? My jacket is a Todds standard and I love it, I've distressed it and added some to it and I use it for daily wear, if you wear it right it looks good with about anything.

The_Raiders said:
Damn, RA, and yours is from Todd's? My jacket is a Todds standard and I love it, I've distressed it and added some to it and I use it for daily wear, if you wear it right it looks good with about anything.

What size is it?

The_Raiders said:
Well I'm not the most built guy in the world so I have a small. It fits perfect for me.

Yeah. I have a size small too. Some on COW have been speculating that the Small is just generally cut disproportionally. I find that hard to believe. Would you mind posting up some detailed photos here? One of it lying flat on either side plus a few of it on you from a few different angles? I'd like to compare notes...

The_Raiders

I have afew pics on my camera of my jacket on a hanger, I can upload those real quick. But I'm at my sisters for a while and when I go back hom I can get some better pictures of it.
Here's an older picture of me wearing it.

03095449.jpg

The_Raiders said:
I have afew pics on my camera of my jacket on a hanger, I can upload those real quick. But I'm at my sisters for a while and when I go back hom I can get some better pictures of it.
Here's an older picture of me wearing it.

03095449.jpg

Yeah, yours definitely hangs differently. Even from there.

I'm 5'3" about 110. You?

DocWhiskey

Res, I looked at the picture you posted of your Todd's and I don't know if it's just me but it looks a tad different than mine. The collar struck me the most. It seems too pointed and like you mentioned, too high.

And now that you say it's a size small I find it even stranger considering that's the size I have. I got mine about 2 years ago. Perhaps they made a new "batch" that are a bit off?

I'm about 5'7 140 Lbs and mine fits me decently.

Here's some pictures of myself wearing mine:

f09bvq.jpg

2el3vom.jpg

I kind of get what you're saying about the shoulders, I notice they can look a bit strange.

Here, compare to your perhaps:

ouxlk2.jpg

6hnxbo.jpg

Last edited:
Got mostly cash this holiday... considering really splurging (though I shouldn't) and getting a much nicer custom. What are people's thoughts on the Magnoli?

eazybox

You don't see too many Magnolis, but those who do own one have given excellent reviews. I believe he provides you with a detailed sizing chart to fill out, and takes care to ensure that everything turns out right. I've never seen a negative review of one of Magnoli's jackets.

I am aware of 3 COW members who own or have owned a Magnoli: Holt, Chewbacca Jones and, most recently, djd. There are probably others, but those are the ones I remember seeing, and they all looked superb.

I think Big Tony's offerings may have lured away some of the business that would otherwise have gone to Magnoli. I know that was the case with me. There are some people who simply refuse to spend $675 on ANY jacket, and if you fall into that category, Magnoli may be your best option. Of course, there is also Todd's Custom, which sells for around $500 and has also received excellent reviews.

Jack

eazybox said:
You don't see too many Magnolis, but those who do own one have given excellent reviews. I believe he provides you with a detailed sizing chart to fill out, and takes care to ensure that everything turns out right. I've never seen a negative review of one of Magnoli's jackets.

I am aware of 3 COW members who own or have owned a Magnoli: Holt, Chewbacca Jones and, most recently, djd. There are probably others, but those are the ones I remember seeing, and they all looked superb.

I think Big Tony's offerings may have lured away some of the business that would otherwise have gone to Magnoli. I know that was the case with me. There are some people who simply refuse to spend $675 on ANY jacket, and if you fall into that category, Magnoli may be your best option. Of course, there is also Todd's Custom, which sells for around $500 and has also received excellent reviews.

Jack

Is there any real advantage going with Magnoli or Todd over Wested?

eazybox

ResidentAlien said:
Is there any real advantage going with Magnoli or Todd over Wested?

I believe there is. With my experience, I can't be too objective about Wested; I know they must have enough satisfied customers or they couldn't stay in business, but I've seen too many scathing reviews for my comfort level. All I can say is buy from them at your own risk, and good luck!

Jack

eazybox said:
I believe there is. With my experience, I can't be too objective about Wested; I know they must have enough satisfied customers or they couldn't stay in business, but I've seen too many scathing reviews for my comfort level. All I can say is buy from them at your own risk, and good luck!

Jack

Thanks eazybox-- I really appreciate your informed opinion.

I'm going to hold off on making a decision until after COW returns next week... But I'm leaning pretty heavily toward a Magnoli. I just want some first-hand accounts of it.

Mickiana

I just looked at Magnoli's website and everything looks of the highest standard. The ordering specifications look extremely comprehensive. You would be guaranteed to get what you ordered from him. His professionalism seems 100%. Mind you, Wested deliver a great product also. I know people have had their complaints, but I'm on my third jacket from them and I'm not complaining. If you go Wested, go for the washed goat and request the longer collar (longer from back to front, coming over your collar bones more). I can't wait to rough this jacket up.

Mickiana said:
I just looked at Magnoli's website and everything looks of the highest standard. The ordering specifications look extremely comprehensive. You would be guaranteed to get what you ordered from him. His professionalism seems 100%. Mind you, Wested deliver a great product also. I know people have had their complaints, but I'm on my third jacket from them and I'm not complaining. If you go Wested, go for the washed goat and request the longer collar (longer from back to front, coming over your collar bones more). I can't wait to rough this jacket up.

Well are you on your 3rd jacket because you wear them out or because you're a wardrobe nut? ;) Saying you're on your 3rd jacket is actually more worrisome than not since I'd expect the jacket to last at least a decade if not considerably longer.

Mickiana

Not a wardrobe nut, but moreso the getting of three jackets is the result of not being able to see the jackets before I buy them. As good as the pics are in the vendors' websites, there is nothing like seeing them for real before purchasing. I bought the Raiders custom lambskin first and loved it for sure. Not having the heart to distress it, I bought the distressed cowhide from Wested thinking this is how I can have the SA distressed look. While it is a nice jacket, it is thick and heavy and the distressing is very minor. The sections that make up the jacket look like they were distressed before it was sewn together complete and so the distressing doesn't look natural. Further distressing on my part will remedy that. So, to get a jacket that is like a blank canvas to start with and distress it just the right way was the intention behind getting the washed goat. And it was a good choice. It doesn't have the sheen that the lambskin has and so will take to good distressing. I have spent a lot, too much really, and so to save someone else spending needlessly, especially a poor student, I would definitely recommend the Wested custom washed goat as a first choice. Ask for the SA collar - you won't regret it.

Mickiana said:
Not a wardrobe nut, but moreso the getting of three jackets is the result of not being able to see the jackets before I buy them. As good as the pics are in the vendors' websites, there is nothing like seeing them for real before purchasing. I bought the Raiders custom lambskin first and loved it for sure. Not having the heart to distress it, I bought the distressed cowhide from Wested thinking this is how I can have the SA distressed look. While it is a nice jacket, it is thick and heavy and the distressing is very minor. The sections that make up the jacket look like they were distressed before it was sewn together complete and so the distressing doesn't look natural. Further distressing on my part will remedy that. So, to get a jacket that is like a blank canvas to start with and distress it just the right way was the intention behind getting the washed goat. And it was a good choice. It doesn't have the sheen that the lambskin has and so will take to good distressing. I have spent a lot, too much really, and so to save someone else spending needlessly, especially a poor student, I would definitely recommend the Wested custom washed goat as a first choice. Ask for the SA collar - you won't regret it.

Fair enough. So I take it, from your experience, that they're rather robust jackets?

Certainly for that price it is tempting. However, I too have heard my fair share of horror stories about them in what little time I've been reading up on these jackets.