Rise of the Planet of the Apes

kongisking

That clip of Caesar defending Lithgow was powerful. And that action trailer looks epic as all hell. The ape animation is fantastic. And Andy Serkis looks like an ape himself, with that hair! Method acting, I tell ya...

I caught a doc on Animal Planet about Chimps raised as pets and the dangers and results dreams gone bad. Call me morbid, but it both scared me and got me excited for the new "Apes" movie...though I doubt the movie will be as graphic as you could imagine after seeing some of those attack survivors.:sick:
chimp_attack.jpg

Another: "I've seen it already"

Is there anything left to the film once you've seen the trailer?

I doubt it. All that's missing are Caesar's first words...

My guess, (breaking forth wall): "Fools"

kongisking

Rocket Surgeon said:

I'd like his first words to be "Damn you all to hell!"

I'm half-kidding, you know that, right? :p

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:

The trailer makes it look more like a horror movie. The apes could well have been replaced by zombies, or kill-crazy humans

Without the original ape masks it just isn't Planet of the Apes, but hopefully it won't be as awful as Burton's hatchet job.

Montana Smith said:
The trailer makes it look more like a horror movie. The apes could well have been replaced by zombies, or kill-crazy humans
It is kind of a horror film.
not as scary as zombies or psychos, eh? Tell it to the lady with the face transplant: google image search "chimp attack" and see how childish fears of zombie holocausts really are.

featofstrength said:
It is kind of a horror film.
not as scary as zombies or psychos, eh? Tell it to the lady with the face transplant: google image search "chimp attack" and see how childish fears of zombie holocausts really are.

Because the public are more familiar with the reality of Charla Nash and Sandra Herold then they are the celuloid nightmares of 75 Years of Zombie Movies?

Really?:rolleyes:

Please tell me you're kidding.

Running a reboot like "Rise" up against culturally ingrained and loved films like the first three Planet of the Apes is a loser.

Star Trek was awash in nostalgia, and unlikely to repeat its success. This is destined for the mediocrity bin. The Cowboys and Aliens of August 2011.

Last edited:
Rocket Surgeon said:
Because the public are more familiar with the reality of Charla Nash and Sandra Herold then they are the celuloid nightmares of 75 Years of Zombie Movies?

Im not saying anything about the quality of either set(s)of films, just that if there was any inkling of fear behind either premise , I would personally find getting ripped apart by a chimp, gorilla, or any primate far more possible and terrifying than any zombie holocaust scenario any fanboy could dream up. so, go ahead with your list of zombie films and ride the horror-cult hoakum: I'd take the odds of ape:slim to Zombie:nil...call Vegas.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Really?:rolleyes:

Please tell me you're kidding.
smugpugisve128630474830017359.jpg

Montana Smith

featofstrength said:
any zombie holocaust scenario any fanboy could dream up.

You said one of the dirtiest words for a forum... "fanboy" :eek:

My money's still on

Smiffy said:
kill-crazy humans

The new POTA looks interesting as a concept - as a more reality based expression of the story. However, it looks like the very definition of 'reboot' that it set out to be. It may lose the charm of the originals, which were overtly morality plays on contemporary race issues. The focus now, going by the action trailer, is on another humans vs... battle. Which is why the story of Conquest is most suited to a mainstream reboot.

TheMutt92

The reviews have been surprisingly positive. I'm just kinda bewildered because the trailers didn't impress me all that much. Glad they supposedly stuck with a more adult, intelligent style more in line w/ the original. May have to check this out.

Finn

Staff member
Mod note

Let's try to cut down the monkey business, shall we, gang? I'd hate to see you try and break the cooler wall while throwing those jabs.

DiscoLad

I paid for the preview of a movie... That's how ripped off I felt at the end.

Not to mention.. of course the leaders name is Caesar...

phantom train

This is a revised post that I also made on another board:

I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes yesterday and loved it - fantastic film, and the CGI Apes were incredible; they were definitely the most fully-realized CGI characters I've seen in any film, period - They all seemed very real, with excellent detail right down to the hair, body movements, facial expressions which expressed anger, sadness, rage, compassion, etc. Very well-done.

The film was great as a stand-alone movie, but the ending definitely left the door open for a sequel. I'm hoping this movie does well enough in the box office to justify more films.

I'll post a more detailed review once more people have seen the film.

Last edited:

kongisking

phantom train said:
This is a revised post that I also made on another board:

I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes yesterday and loved it - fantastic film, and the CGI Apes were incredible; they were definitely the most fully-realized CGI characters I've seen in any film, period - They all seemed very real, with excellent detail right down to the hair, body movements, facial expressions which expressed anger, sadness, rage, compassion, etc. Very well-done.

The film was great as a stand-alone movie, but the ending definitely left the door open for a sequel. I'm hoping this movie does well enough in the box office to justify more films.

I'll post a more detailed review once more people have seen the film.

I saw it too, and your post pretty much sums up everything I thought, so I won't bore everyone with a copycat-post. Film was excellent, and Caesar was a unbelievable bit of CGI in this. Andy Serkis NEEDS an Oscar nom, dammit!

michael

I loved this movie.

The CGI is just unreal, a few real moving parts with Ceasar. Serkis is amazing.

Spoiler Alert: SERIOUSLY, DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE.

Few things:

When the apes broke out and headed for the bridge, I was totally rooting for them, I loved how Caesar did not want anyone to die. BUT ON THAT NOTE...

During my showing, when one of the apes got shot while climbing up on the bridge, someone in the back of the theater clapped. And it hit me, he was rooting for his PLANET, for the humans. It made me think of how I was feeling prior, as I was deeply on the side of the Apes. I didn't know who to root for really. But it's hard to not root for those Apes.

Caesar's first word was incredible. I really wish they wouldn't have let that kid do Heston's famous line though, I would've been more comfortable with Brian Cox saying it.

Not sure if he could've progressed as quick as he did at the end with the words he says, but it's believable within the context.

James Franco and company hold their roles together well, but they were also made to be forgettable, because it really is all about the apes.

The Man

michael said:
I loved this movie.

The CGI is just unreal, a few real moving parts with Ceasar. Serkis is amazing.

Spoiler Alert: SERIOUSLY, DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE.

Few things:

When the apes broke out and headed for the bridge, I was totally rooting for them, I loved how Caesar did not want anyone to die. BUT ON THAT NOTE...

During my showing, when one of the apes got shot while climbing up on the bridge, someone in the back of the theater clapped. And it hit me, he was rooting for his PLANET, for the humans. It made me think of how I was feeling prior, as I was deeply on the side of the Apes. I didn't know who to root for really. But it's hard to not root for those Apes.

Caesar's first word was incredible. I really wish they wouldn't have let that kid do Heston's famous line though, I would've been more comfortable with Brian Cox saying it.

Not sure if he could've progressed as quick as he did at the end with the words he says, but it's believable within the context.

James Franco and company hold their roles together well, but they were also made to be forgettable, because it really is all about the apes.

Out here on Friday. Apart from the '68 original, I could take or leave the series, but this is a film I really want to see. And the possible sequel may have apes in a world of shi!t(?)

"The ideas I?ve had are all sorts of things, ranging from Full Metal Jacket with apes?"

"...to how apes are taking over cities, and being moved into human environments and having to interact with them and deal with things that are part of our culture and understand and evolve through them. Spies that are in the employ of the apes, working against humans and humans maybe existing underground, because that?s a way they can avoid the virus, coming up above ground wearing gas masks, and maybe that?s what dehumanises them."