The Young Ernie Hemingway Chronicles

Demitasse

Discovered a few (old) movies about the life of Ernest Hemingway while he was driving an ambulance in N. Italy. Might interest fans of Tales of Innocence.

In Love and War (1996), starring Chris O'Donnell as Hemingway and Sandra Bullock. It wasn't bad but I just could not force my mind to start seeing the guy as Hemingway and get my willful suspension of disbelief to accept that he wasn't Chris O'Donnell.

Earnest Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (1962). Haven't seen this one, found it through Amazon. Seems to be based on old Hemingway stories but the trailer looked interesting.

Anyway, Jay Underwood is tough to beat and for my money, was a far better Hemingway than Chris O'Donnell. This is just more fodder for those still chasing the feeling of "the Young Indy beat."

Stoo

Demitasse said:
Earnest Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (1962). Haven't seen this one, found it through Amazon. Seems to be based on old Hemingway stories but the trailer looked interesting.
I recorded about half of this from TV many years ago. It's based on the stories of the Nick Adams character and the WW1 parts have a lot in common with the "Northern Italy" episode of Young Indy. I don't think it's been released on DVD yet so it might be pretty hard to see unless you catch it on television.

Previously, I wrote about it in this thread: References to other films/TV shows in YI

For the record: The title is actually just, "Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man" (no Ernest in the title).;) Of curious interest is that the original title for the Young Indy series was: "The Adventures of Indiana Jones as a Young Man". Coincidence? I think not.

Other related films are, of course, the 1932 & 1957 versions of, "A Farewell To Arms" (American ambulance driver in Italy during WW1 who falls in love with a nurse).

Never heard of, "In Love and War", before so will have to check that out. The hunt is on! Thanks for bringing it my attention, Demitasse!:hat: