TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

Old 09-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
emtiem
IndyFan

London: Indy’s hat and whip on show

Just a heads up to anyone in the London area: if you’d like see Indy’s original hat (from Temple) and Last Crusade whip, along with other treasures like the snake surprise centrepiece or the Banquet Beetle, along with other movie treasures like the hover board, Terminator & Superman costumes, Rocketeer helmet, lightsabers, Han Solo’s jacket etc. They’re all on show for free amoungst other amazing props at the BFI IMAX at Waterloo as part of the Prop Store auction. Well worth a look.
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
emtiem
IndyFan

Some pics: and apparently it's a Raiders hat...?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
axelan
IndyFan

The second picture of the hat and the picture of him wearing a hat doesn't look like the same hat. It's strange they put that picture next to the hat.
axelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtiem
Some pics: and apparently it's a Raiders hat...?
Wonderful photos. Yes, it is often referred to as the "Cairo" hat, and was the hat most frequently worn by Ford in RAIDERS.

Jack
eazybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:37 AM   #5
emtiem
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazybox
Wonderful photos. Yes, it is often referred to as the "Cairo" hat, and was the hat most frequently worn by Ford in RAIDERS.

Jack

Great; so it sounds like it’s pretty much the most important individual Indy hat there is, really..?

Better photos on the listing here: https://propstore.com/product/indian...nature-fedora/
Old 09-17-2018, 02:23 AM   #6
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Great; so it sounds like it’s pretty much the most important individual Indy hat there is, really..?

Better photos on the listing here: https://propstore.com/product/indian...nature-fedora/
Yes, I've seen those photos, and as I understand it, the provenance is impeccable. The hat obviously has seen better days, but it's historical significance makes it priceless. "It belongs in a museum."

Jack
Old 09-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #7
emtiem
IndyFan

There's a few other Indy things available (including the Raiders revolver!); I just saw the beautiful little matte painting test for the Crusade 'Path of God' and that's something I'd love to have!

https://propstoreauction.com/view-au...26xclosed%3Dno

But it's the hat I'd want... it's really still recognisably the Raiders hat...

Also, if you look at my first photo you might spot a bronze helmet in the background which I suspect many Indy fans would rather love to have too...
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #8
ThrowMeTheWhip
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelan
The second picture of the hat and the picture of him wearing a hat doesn't look like the same hat. It's strange they put that picture next to the hat.

They’re not the same hat. The picture is from Temple of Doom.
ThrowMeTheWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
emtiem
IndyFan

You'll be pleased to see they've put another photo of Harrison wearing the same hat next to it! The signed photo from Temple is there because it's another lot in the auction.

(That's Han Solo's jacket behind it!)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
ThrowMeTheWhip
IndyFan

Much better!

And thanks for clarifying.
ThrowMeTheWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #11
eazybox
IndyFan

The hat sold for $521,000.

Jack
Old 09-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #12
axelan
IndyFan

Quote:

Jack

Unbelievable.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Unbelievable.
Yes, I was a day late and $520,999 short. It was a bitter disappointment.

Jack
Old 09-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #14
axelan
IndyFan

I'd settle for a medium nice house instead with a hat from walmart. Does the money from the purchase at least go to a good cause?
Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #15
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
I'd settle for a medium nice house instead with a hat from walmart. Does the money from the purchase at least go to a good cause?
I don't know, and my 2 cents, for what it's worth after taxes and inflation-- It used to be fun collecting original movie props, but the wealthy investors have ruined the hobby for the true fans, who collect out of love and not greed. A few years down the road, this hat probably will turn up in another auction and sell for $1,000,000. That's just the way it is now, and all we can do is watch from the sidelines and gape at the increasingly outrageous selling prices.

Jack
Old 09-21-2018, 01:12 AM   #16
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:

Jack
It belongs in a museum!

Yeah its true, by and large the collectors with deep pockets have kind of ruined prop collecting that way, I agree.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:50 AM   #17
emtiem
IndyFan

That’s £320,000. His Raiders revolver and the Crusade whip didn’t sell though; maybe next time!

How much did Han Solo’s jacket go for?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:25 AM   #18
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
That’s £320,000. His Raiders revolver and the Crusade whip didn’t sell though; maybe next time!

How much did Han Solo’s jacket go for?
Solo's jacket did not sell because the reserve was not met.

Jack
Old 09-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #19
axelan
IndyFan

Quote:
Solo's jacket did not sell because the reserve was not met.

Jack

That makes things even worse because they make it so you HAVE to be ultra wealthy to buy this stuff rather than just get market value.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #20
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
That makes things even worse because they make it so you HAVE to be ultra wealthy to buy this stuff rather than just get market value.
Yes, and when you wipe away all the mystique that surrounds this stuff, it's just an old, beaten up jacket, which makes it seem even more ridiculous. If it were possible to hold an auction in which people above a certain level of income are excluded from bidding, things could get really interesting for true fans, but, of course, that will never happen.

Jack
Old 09-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #21
axelan
IndyFan

Quote:
Yes, and when you wipe away all the mystique that surrounds this stuff, it's just an old, beaten up jacket, which makes it seem even more ridiculous. If it were possible to hold an auction in which people above a certain level of income are excluded from bidding, things could get really interesting for true fans, but, of course, that will never happen.

Jack

I can go off on a tangent here. The capitalism pyramid scheme just continues to get worse.

Who was auctioning off the items? Who is or was the owner?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #22
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
I can go off on a tangent here. The capitalism pyramid scheme just continues to get worse.

Who was auctioning off the items? Who is or was the owner?
ScreenUsed, a collector and auctioneer of original props, now closed according to the website, was the previous owner. I have heard that the new owner is from Dubai, but I'm not sure that's accurate info. What I would like to know is, what do you do with a $521,000 hat? Keep it in a safety deposit box until it doubles in value, I guess.

Jack
Old 09-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #23
eazybox
IndyFan

One thing that should be noted that I was not aware of until a couple of days ago-- the hat that was just auctioned apparently was reshaped a couple of times before the sale, and the soil markings that matched so perfectly with photos from the film apparently were CLEANED OFF. That the auctioneer would do this comes as a shock to me, because most collectors hate any sort of tampering with an original costume item or prop. The buyer presumably is happy with the purchase, but as far as I'm concerned, any reconditioning turns a desirable piece of movie history into damaged goods .

Jack
Old 09-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #24
emtiem
IndyFan

Where did you hear that?
Old 09-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #25
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Where did you hear that?
Just by following the thread (now closed) on the auction over at COW, and then comparing photos of the hat as it looked when owned by ScreenUsed, and just before the recent auction, where obvious and pretty drastic differences can be seen. Somebody thought it was a good idea to mold the crown into a teardrop crease, which looks nothing like the Raiders crown, and after people complained the crown was reshaped once again to appear more Raiders-accurate.

The Prop Store admits to reshaping the hat but claims the soil markings weren't touched. The latter claim is hard for me to believe when comparing photos. But anyway, the auction is over, so it's a dead issue now. If the hat ever goes up for sale in the future, the dead may rise again, though.