Indiana Jones Quiz

Junior Jones

temple of john said:
Damn...it's that Japanese Emperor. The Japanese guy is spouting about it at the resteraunt in ToD.
Good guess, TOJ, but incorrect. Indy would have found Nurhachi (actually a Chinese emperor) before Temple, not between that and Raiders

Indy said:
I may really be going out on a limb here but could it be The Temple of the Forbidden Eye, a shrine to the god Mara?

Indy is correct! According to one version of Disney's backstory for "The Indiana Jones Adventure" at Disneyland, the temple of Mara was discovered by Indiana Jones between the events of Temple and Raiders. The temple was carefully disassembled and brought to southern California stone by stone, curse and all, where it was put back together.

Incidently, in honor of the park's 50th Anniversary Disney has put out a 6 CD collection of music from Disneyland and disc one includes the soundtrack to "The Indiana Jones Adventure." Its basically a new arrangement of John Williams's soundtracks, but it's neat to have, especially for those of us who live too far away to experience the adventure for ourselves

Anyone who's been on the ride feel free to tell us about it here. I'll try to come up with another question by Monday.

roundshort

This is one of my guilty pleasures, I have a class that is at DisneyLnad every spring, and I always ditch my firends to go to Disney at least one night, and all by myself I ride the Indy ride. If you are single they let you wait right by the car so there is no line (but you need to stand in line which is usually over 2 or 3 hours) at least once, as there are many wicked cool Indy things to enjoy in the line. All Indy fans should have a chance to enjoy this ride. It is 100times better than the temple of Peril, the line rocks but it is a roller coaster, and a great one but not much Indy stuff during the ride. I have yet to go to Temple of the Crystal Skull

IndyBuff

The Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland is one of my favorite rides of all time. I've ridden it countless times and it never gets old for me. While the line can be pretty long at times, there are some neat things to do while waiting, like watching a film, setting off booby-traps, and looking around at all the neat artwork and sculptures. If you ever get the chance to ride I strongly recommend it. You won't be disappointed.

I was at EuroDisney many years ago and I wanted to ride their Indy rollercoaster but it was closed for repairs. :(

IndyBuff

While we wait for Junior Jones to post another question, I have one myself. Since Indy found The Temple of the Forbidden Eye sometime in 1935 or early 1936, most likely, when did he find the other theme park attractions (like the Crystal Skull, EuroDisney, etc)? Is there a backstory from Disney or Lucas about those as well? I'm just curious when Indy was involved with those other attractions and where they fit into the timeline. Does anybody know? :confused:

Junior Jones

A good question, which I can't answer.

As far as I can tell, there's not any substantive backstory to the Disneyland Paris ride. It's just a rollercoaster ride through an archaeological dig.

For the Tokyo Disneyland ride, the storyline is basically the same as the original ride in California. The main difference is that it is set in a South American jungle temple instead of an Asian jungle temple, making it seem more exotic to Japanese guests. Of course a different setting makes it a different adventure, but I've never seen anything that indicates when Indy discovered the Temple of the Crystal Skull.

If anyone else knows something, I'd be glad to hear about it.

roundshort

Jr. is correct onthe two rides, but the line for DisneyLand Paris is very cool, with great music and a lot os great props.

IndyBuff

Thanks for the help Junior Jones. I tend to forget about the other rides and I was wondering if there was a story behind them, because the one for the Disneyland ride was kind of interesting and I hadn't heard it before. I also like waiting in line for the ride because of all the neat stuff and the references to the films (I don't want to spoil it for anyone here but trust me, it'll keep you busy while you wait). roundshort, you're lucky to have gotten to see the Disneyland Paris ride. It was closed when I went and I never got a chance to try it (although their Space Mountain was better than the American parks by far).

Man, all this talk about the rides makes me want to go ride them now.

Junior Jones

I waited an extra day so as not to interrupt the discussion of the Disney theme park rides, but now...

Question #6
Name one of Indiana Jones's wives.

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
Junior Jones said:
I waited an extra day so as not to interrupt the discussion of the Disney theme park rides, but now...

Question #6
Name one of Indiana Jones's wives.

Wives?
As far as I know, Indy only got married once. Deirdre Campbell was her name.

See Rob MacGregor's novels:
- Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants
- Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils

Junior Jones

Correct, Dierdre is the name I was looking for.

I guess I was making a bit of an assumption when I said wives. The bookends to The Young Indy Chronicles showed Old Indy interacting with various people who called him Dad and Grandpa and I jumped to the conclusion that he had eventually gotten married.

What is the general consensus? Do you think Indy eventually got married? Feel free to comment.

IndyBuff

Deidre Campbell was his first wife. I don't know if he had another wife but Deidre was his girlfriend in Dance of the Giants and they were married briefly in The Seven Veils. If he had another wife I'd like to know. He had some children but I kind of assumed it happend when he wasn't married. Does anybody else have an idea?

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
I guess I was making a bit of an assumption when I said wives. The bookends to The Young Indy Chronicles showed Old Indy interacting with various people who called him Dad and Grandpa and I jumped to the conclusion that he had eventually gotten married.

What is the general consensus? Do you think Indy eventually got married? Feel free to comment.
Yes, definitely. It was surprising to first read of the wedlock with
Diedre in "Seven Veils", however, Old Indy in the TV show had clearly
been married and fathered (at least) one daughter and 3 grandchildren.
I know that YIJC became silly from time-to-time but Thanksgiving dinner
at the Jones' household was the last thing I thought we would ever see!

I'm curious to see the alternate Bookends for "Mystery of the Blues",
with Indy's 15 year-old grandkid, Spike, who is jamming in the garage
with his band. The angry neighbours have formed a lynch-mob in the
driveway so Indy diffuses the situation by lecturing Spike about music
with his "tall tale" about ol' Chicago. (I can't remember if this was filmed
or not...)

I would also suspect that his "2nd wife" had died as there is no sight
nor mention of her in the Old Indy segments. She is a mystery figure...

c.1992 Spike is 15 years old.
c.1977 Spike is born.
c.1942-57 Indy becomes a father???
c.1899 Indy born (50s is a little late to be having kids, no?)

Because of this, I believe that when Harrison is seen as Indy in 1950
Wyoming, he has been married with a child for awhile at that point.
Could this account for his rather mellow, domesticated behaviour? :)
I know this is all blasphemy for some but you can't ignore the plate
that's been given to you.

Junior Jones

Stoo said:
I'm curious to see the alternate Bookends for "Mystery of the Blues", with Indy's 15 year-old grandkid, Spike, who is jamming in the garage with his band. The angry neighbours have formed a lynch-mob in the driveway so Indy diffuses the situation by lecturing Spike about music with his "tall tale" about ol' Chicago. (I can't remember if this was filmed or not...)

It was filmed, and broadcast in Europe. I acquired a copy of it, but there's really nothing special about it. (I wish the bookends had been able to use the same excellent production values as the rest of the series.)

Junior Jones

Question #7

And now, the department of inconsistencies presents Question #7.

What two places did Indy first meet Wu Han?

IndyBuff

Junior Jones said:
And now, the department of inconsistencies presents Question #7.

What two places did Indy first meet Wu Han?

Indy met him in Hong Kong in 1935 during The Emperor's Tomb adventure but I'm not sure what other date is listed. I just know that one.:whip:

Stoo

Are they supposedly meeting for the 1st time in 1935 in the video game?
That doesn't leave poor Wu Han much time to become an "old friend" who
followed Indy on "many adventure".:dead:

It would be have interesting to see Short Round take the bullet at the
start of the "Doom" with Wu Han going to India. Indy blames himself for
Shorty's death making the slave children's freedom all the more poignant
(or sappy, depending on which way you look at it).

Anyway, can't wait to hear the answer for the *other* meeting.
Great thread, Junior Jones!

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
It was filmed, and broadcast in Europe. I acquired a copy of it, but there's really nothing special about it. (I wish the bookends had been able to use the same excellent production values as the rest of the series.)
Thanks. I knew that it was intended for Europe but couldn't recall if
it actually existed or not. I've read the dialogue so it was probably a
transcript of the broadcast. Old Indy is certainly very cringe-worthy at
times but the alternate "Blues" bookend is the only one I haven't seen.

Which makes me wonder what "red tape" must have been involved
that denied European TV audiences of H. Ford's segment...

Stoo

Well, welcome to The Raven, Aztec! I think you've just solved No.7...

I have the earlier novels but not the Max McCoy ones and am interested
in reading "The Dinosaur Eggs" because those extinct beasts never cease
to fascinate me. Let me guess, because of the Wu Han connection, does
the story take place in China's Gobi Desert? Roy Chapman Andrews led
several, early, motor-car expeditions there throughout the 1920's and it
would be quite fitting if Indy had joined him.

Junior Jones

With his (or her) first ever post at the Raven, Aztec is correct!

Stoo said:
Are they supposedly meeting for the 1st time in 1935 in the video game?
When they meet in the game, Indy says "Who the hell are you?" That pretty much indicates that they haven't met before.

Let's move right along to Question #8, also from the department of inconsistencies:

How many times has Indy discovered the Philosopher's Stone?