What's Harrison Ford doing these days?

Goodeknight

It's all just a shameless publicity stunt so he can get a role in the next Pirates movie....

article-2675220-1F46A49000000578-767_306x695.jpg

IndyForever

foreignerfred said:
Perhaps for San Diego Comic Con?

...to announce another Lucasfilm sequel for 2016?
Sadly thats unlikely to happen in 2016 or if ever. Spielberg is filming a Tom Hanks cold war thriller in Sept 2014 then onto his BFG kids movie leaves no time for an Indy 5 with Harrison until 2016.

I cannot see Harrison making another Indiana Jones without Spielberg directing & Lucas providing the story outline & input like he did on all the other Indiana Jones movies.

If Spielberg/Lucas seriously wanted to make Indiana Jones 5 it probably would have happened by now :rolleyes:

The only glimmer of hope is that Disney are unlikely to want an Indy 5 without Harrison playing Indy again for the entire movie & Spielberg/Lucas being involved as director/creative consultant.

It just seems stuck in development hell mainly because Lucas is still sulking that not everyone on planet earth loved Indy 4 (I liked that movie a lot BTW) or his crappy SW prequels ( I liked AOTC but did not care for the other 2 much at all) so he sold Lucasfilm just to prove the point that fanboys/girls on the internet have no power over him :rolleyes: ;)
Spielberg would direct it tomorrow if Lucas asked him to but its probably the holy grail of modern blockbuster cinema to expect that to happen anytime soon if ever.

Connery coming out of retirement is about the same chance Indy 5 has of getting made with Harrison at this time sadly :dead: realistically even if they filmed it tomorrow in 2 years Harrison will be 74 by then I am not sure Disney would allow or even want Harrison to headline a mega budget Indy 5.

But who knows whats really going on behind the scenes Disney will be actively hassling Lucas to either give them his Indy 5 outline or let it go forever but Lucas is the most stubborn *.*.*.* so I doubt anyone could pressure him nowadays...........

Grizzlor

IndyForever said:
I cannot see Harrison making another Indiana Jones without Spielberg directing & Lucas providing the story outline & input like he did on all the other Indiana Jones movies.

It's really up to Disney, they "technically" have no say in the matter.

IndyForever

Grizzlor said:
It's really up to Disney, they "technically" have no say in the matter.
Harrison cannot be forced by Disney to make another Indiana Jones if he does not see Spielberg/Lucas attached as director/creative consultant its highly unlikley he would want to play the part again as he knows all 3 contributed heavily to what makes Indiana Jones work as a movie character.

Never tell me the odds but I would say its 3720 to 1 ;) .......AGAINST :dead:

Grizzlor

I know they can't force him to do a movie. He's the one who "supposedly" requested 1 or 2 Indy films in order to sign onto Star Wars again. He did so knowing George Lucas was not playing a role in SW. I'm sure Harrison is well aware that George is no longer doing any feature films, and that Spielberg is very busy. My point is that Ford must have understood that if there are to be future films, the "beards" will not have their traditional roles in them. Quite honestly, he's probably privately happy not to have to deal with Lucas again after the decade long tussle over the KOTCS script. I'm that if Disney hired new writers/director which Ford was excited to work with, and had GL/SS blessing, he would do it.

foreignerfred

Grizzlor said:
I know they can't force him to do a movie. He's the one who "supposedly" requested 1 or 2 Indy films in order to sign onto Star Wars again. He did so knowing George Lucas was not playing a role in SW. I'm sure Harrison is well aware that George is no longer doing any feature films, and that Spielberg is very busy. My point is that Ford must have understood that if there are to be future films, the "beards" will not have their traditional roles in them. Quite honestly, he's probably privately happy not to have to deal with Lucas again after the decade long tussle over the KOTCS script. I'm that if Disney hired new writers/director which Ford was excited to work with, and had GL/SS blessing, he would do it.

I have no doubt Spielberg will have a producer credit.

Not saying I want this, but I have a theory that Abrams isn't doing episode 8 because he's working on Indy. Possibly as a writer, producer, director, or just one of the "story by" credits.

IndyForever

Grizzlor said:
Lucas is playing a role in Star Wars though he crafted the new trilogy story outline from 2011-2012 when he said he was working on Indy 5!

The KOTCS delay was more Spielberg vs Lucas over alien story concerns. Ford was the only one of the 3 who wanted to do another.

Indy 5 + Harrison without the beards simply would not work there is no other director who could provide the same style to it all.

Indy's brother

IndyForever said:
Indy 5 + Harrison without the beards simply would not work there is no other director who could provide the same style to it all.

I understand your thinking here, but I don't entirely agree. These films are very formulaic, and with Spielberg in his likely role producing I think only fans like us that analyze this stuff to death would notice a difference.

Finn

Staff member
I've slowly come into realization that Harry's aged past the point he can play Indiana Jones convincingly.

Some of you might now think about pointing out that he is, as of this very moment, kicking hide and taking names in Star Wars and the Expendables, but the reason for this is that they are ensemble movies. While everyone no doubt gets their moment in the limelight, there are plenty of characters to do the heavy lifting.

Indiana Jones is all about the title character. The focus can't slip off of him but only for fleeting moments. And while they can do plenty wonders with makeup, lens angles and other Hollywood magic, even that shouldn't be made too obvious. And the man seen in this image is going to make it just so.

If Ford's to appear in Indy 5, one way to pull it off would be to have him in it for the prologue adventure, after which the film flashbacks to Indy's younger days - with a new face donning the fedora, naturally.

Grizzlor

foreignerfred said:
I have no doubt Spielberg will have a producer credit.

Not saying I want this, but I have a theory that Abrams isn't doing episode 8 because he's working on Indy. Possibly as a writer, producer, director, or just one of the "story by" credits.

Nah, Abrams is not doing anymore because he's more invested in Star Trek. Yes Steven would be an executive producer, as would Frank Marshall I'd bet.

IndyForever said:
Lucas is playing a role in Star Wars though he crafted the new trilogy story outline from 2011-2012 when he said he was working on Indy 5!

The KOTCS delay was more Spielberg vs Lucas over alien story concerns. Ford was the only one of the 3 who wanted to do another.

There's no telling when Lucas made those story treatments. Frankly they could have elements he thought up 30-35 years ago. Furthermore, there's no reason to think that he hasn't privately come up with similar ideas for Indiana Jones. What's interesting though is how George has said that it's far more possible that the actors could appear and do work in their 60's and 70's than it is for him to direct. Huge amounts of work to direct a big film like Indy or Star Wars.

As for directing style, Spielberg couldn't even capture his OWN past style in most of KOTCS, which for me was the downfall of the film. So again, I personally am hoping that they continue on without him. Like SW, give a young director a crack at it.

IndyForever

Grizzlor said:
Nah, Abrams is not doing anymore because he's more invested in Star Trek. Yes Steven would be an executive producer, as would Frank Marshall I'd bet.

There's no telling when Lucas made those story treatments. Frankly they could have elements he thought up 30-35 years ago. Furthermore, there's no reason to think that he hasn't privately come up with similar ideas for Indiana Jones. What's interesting though is how George has said that it's far more possible that the actors could appear and do work in their 60's and 70's than it is for him to direct. Huge amounts of work to direct a big film like Indy or Star Wars.

As for directing style, Spielberg couldn't even capture his OWN past style in most of KOTCS, which for me was the downfall of the film. So again, I personally am hoping that they continue on without him. Like SW, give a young director a crack at it.
Lucas did the SW outlines in 2011-2012. I saw the same Spielberg in KOTCS as the other Indy movies. Because it was a totally different modern era IMO thats why many people think Spielberg was directing different but it looked the same to me & I watched it many times.

I would say if Harrison hit the hair dye for KOTCS & his voice was not weaker due to smoking I agree with Lucas it could have almost been filmed back to back with Last Crusade as Harrison gave such a terrific performance.

For me I do not see a Harrison Indiana Jones movie with another director there is no-one except perhaps Frank Marshall who has the old school directing style.

Frank Marshall should be the only person they turn to if Spielberg really does not want to direct another that could really work well as he is inner circle Indiana Jones family ;) .... and Spielberg could be 2nd unit director :whip:

Montana Smith

Finn said:
I've slowly come into realization that Harry's aged past the point he can play Indiana Jones convincingly.

Indiana Jones is all about the title character. The focus can't slip off of him but only for fleeting moments. And while they can do plenty wonders with makeup, lens angles and other Hollywood magic, even that shouldn't be made too obvious. And the man seen in this image is going to make it just so.

1326607635293.jpg

Face_Melt

The reason Indy is such an interesting character is that he feels real.

Real, as in he gets old just like the actor that portrays him.

No Ticket

Finn said:

Some of you might now think about pointing out that he is, as of this very moment, kicking hide and taking names in Star Wars and the Expendables, but the reason for this is that they are ensemble movies. While everyone no doubt gets their moment in the limelight, there are plenty of characters to do the heavy lifting.

If Ford's to appear in Indy 5, one way to pull it off would be to have him in it for the prologue adventure, after which the film flashbacks to Indy's younger days - with a new face donning the fedora, naturally.

Yup, I too have come to this conclusion. They messed around too much in the 90s and early 2000s when there was a chance to make not one but maybe even two more movies. They made KOTCS just in time, but even that was giving them a little leeway, harry was already borderline there (some may say already too old even then).

As you pointed out, the Harrison in that image is just not ever going to be able to convincingly play Indiana Jones again. I wish that weren't true, but Hollywood magic can only do so much.

As you pointed out the ensemble of Star Wars also helps it work there, but it's also a technologically advanced sci-fi world where aging probably doesn't have the same limitations it would have in the more believable world that Indy lives in.

It's just too late and the people needed to make it happen are all too detached and disorganized about it with no real solid ideas. At least we got KOTCS.