What's Harrison Ford doing these days?

Olliana

replican't said:
He's aged, and if he looked pretty rough and ridiculous doing those stunts in KOCS - which he did - then whats the point bothering to drag him back out on the big screen again?

ORLY? He's aged? Well, here's news for you: That's what people usually do when they're not dead.

And whatever stunts are you talking about? I think he did just fine. In fact, if the movie had only one redeeming virtue, it was Harrison. I'm sorry if you fail to see that.

Olliana said:
ORLY? He's aged? Well, here's news for you: That's what people usually do when they're not dead.

And whatever stunts are you talking about? I think he did just fine. In fact, if the movie had only one redeeming virtue, it was Harrison. I'm sorry if you fail to see that.

Are you thick or something? Of course I know that people age. What planet do you live on? The point here is that Indiana Jones was in some ways one the first ACTION blockbuster hero of the modern age. Got that? Action. You know - the running jumping falling over stuff that Ford keeps going on about. The stuff that starts to look increasingly bizarre when performed by older people.

As for KOCs having a redeeming factor in Harrison Ford, well I should bloody well hope so, since he was the, um, lead actor and the title of the film was all about him and they paid him more money to do it than any of us will see in a lifetime. The argument though is to what extent he 'redeemed' the film. From my perspective, pointing out that Harrison Ford was the best thing in it would be like saying that at least the sun was shining during that train crash.

Look - it was ridiculous having him wearing the same outfit at 65 that he was wearing at 40. That right there was the trap they set for themselves as film makers - how do you give the audience what they've already had and pass it off as new? Nostalgia seemed to be the only driving force behind the argument for an Indy 4, and when they drew back the curtain, there he stood - the old superhero in his cape and costume. Naff to the extreme and just pathetic. Raiders had credibility because they rooted the characters in a believable reality. Not so with their fourth go round. That opening warehouse scene should have told you all you needed to know - cringeworthy, weird, illogical, and sad. As if his gummy denture talking and glistening chest and tired referencing to past glories wasn't bad enough, they then proceed to have him acting out feats of strength and agility that even the Indy of Raiders wouldn't have managed. Dance Indy, dance! Look at the old man doing it again!

Utterly risible and misjudged.

How could an Indy 5 be any different and still be Indy 5? The chinese finger trap again.

Montana Smith

replican't said:
The point here is that Indiana Jones was in some ways one the first ACTION blockbuster hero of the modern age. Got that? Action. You know - the running jumping falling over stuff that Ford keeps going on about. The stuff that starts to look increasingly bizarre when performed by older people.

As for KOCs having a redeeming factor in Harrison Ford, well I should bloody well hope so, since he was the, um, lead actor and the title of the film was all about him and they paid him more money to do it than any of us will see in a lifetime. The argument though is to what extent he 'redeemed' the film. From my perspective, pointing out that Harrison Ford was the best thing in it would be like saying that at least the sun was shining during that train crash.

Look - it was ridiculous having him wearing the same outfit at 65 that he was wearing at 40. That right there was the trap they set for themselves as film makers - how do you give the audience what they've already had and pass it off as new? Nostalgia seemed to be the only driving force behind the argument for an Indy 4, and when they drew back the curtain, there he stood - the old superhero in his cape and costume. Naff to the extreme and just pathetic.

Utterly risible and misjudged.

How could an Indy 5 be any different and still be Indy 5? The chinese finger trap again.

exactly1.gif

Kernunnos

replican't said:
He looks better in these photos than he has for a while

Steady on. Seeing you being this positive makes me wonder if those fly agaric mushrooms I ate years ago really did wear off.

Harrison is old, yes, but he's not an elderly sort of old. I'd say he's in better shape now than he was in the years running up to KotCS, and I'm far from alone in holding onto the hope that they give us one more movie with him in the role to make up for that film's shortcomings.

You don't want to see it. That's fine.

I do, and I'm in good company.

AndyLGR

If reports are to be believed we are soon going to be seeing him in the iconic smugglers outfit again, or will they change Han's outfit to be more mindful of his age?

Mickiana

There is a nostalgia factor in my wanting to see Harry do one more IJ movie and another reason is the hope of doing something better than CS. We all can see how CS could have been better.

So CS could be left in the past as a product of its... whatever decisions they were.... and an Indy 5 could be a good treatment of an older Indy. I find it hard to say 'old' Indy as Harry is not an 'elderly old', as Kernunnos put it.

The action element would have to be adapted to a level of believability but that doesn't mean lost completely. It could still be exciting and cleverly done. The adventure could still be as enthralling as any of the other movies, because the adventure didn't just come from Indy outrunning things. It came from story, plot and exotic locations and mystery.

Wearing the same outfit wasn't the problem. In CS it was too pristine. I wouldn't mind seeing an older Indy that gets scruffier in the field as time goes on. He should have been more scruffed up in CS. It would have been more suitable. It wold have created a greater contrast between his professorial self and his adventuring self. Indy5 can fix this.

He needs to shoot someone, as base as that sounds. They have to put more balls back into his character, but with all the current political climate of gun issues that might be tricky.

There was a time when I thought you couldn't have an Indy who didn't run full pelt and perform to the level of the trilogy, but I wouldn't mind seeing an adventure that had at least some element of intellect, possibly contained in the mystery part of the plot.

Amongst other things not said, I do keep this in perspective and realise it is just the wishes of a fan who has been spoiled by Raiders and could keep watching IJ do his stuff as both he and I get older. What I want may not be what the general public wants, but I think there are still good legs in Harry's Indiana Jones.

Forbidden Eye

replican't said:
People here talk about changing that formula to accommodate pensioner Indy, and fail to see the boat has sailed a long, long time ago. Why, in God's name, why would you want to do that? Just so you can see Indiana Jones at the cinema again?

Have some dignity.

By saying "changing that formula" you somwhat imply that an adventure/action story can't work with an old man in the center of it. I don't agree. Ever heard of Don Quixote?

In terms of Hollywood history, John Wayne was still staring making movies until his very end. Clint Eastwood also still stars in movies.

I thought the warehouse scene in KOTCS was great, same with the motorcycle chase; there wasn't anything awkward about seeing Ford performing the stunts he did in the movie as I saw. Obviously you did, so we'lll have to agree to disagree there. I doubt we'll see an Indiana Jones 5 starring Harrison Ford at this point so I guess none of this matters, but hypothetically if there was a script ready today, I think it'd be wrong to firmly believe that there is no possible chance that it'd be good.

Yes, maybe it wouldn't be quite the same as the original trilogy, but then Temple Of Doom and Last Crusade are very different from themselves in terms of style, tone etc.

Montana Smith

Forbidden Eye said:
By saying "changing that formula" you somwhat imply that an adventure/action story can't work with an old man in the center of it. I don't agree. Ever heard of Don Quixote?

The formula for Indiana Jones was that he ran, jumped, whipped, swung, slid, fell, rolled, got punched, got whipped, got dragged, and any number of other ridiculous things.

He was as resilient as Batman, only more inept.

But he doesn't have as many gadgets. So when he gets old the formula fails.

However, landing in the fridge shattered any internal logic. Maybe now he's no longer a human, but a Superman?

Sure, Indy can be Superman at any age, but it isn't classic Indy.

If he isn't Superman he's an ageing master in need of a proxy. To be true to the formula it'll be Mutt or a reboot.

Forbidden Eye said:
John Wayne was still staring making movies until his very end. Clint Eastwood also still stars in movies.

They generally just shot people without having to run, jump, or be dragged.

Indy typically does a lot more.

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

I think he could still do it by looking at those photos. I think if they can keep the stunts practical, avoid too much cgi and if Harrison can pull off most of his own stunts, go for it!!! If Harrison can do the stunts physically for the most part, then it should be believable enough. The character is supposed to age worse than the actor who portray them?

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
I think he could still do it by looking at those photos. I think if they can keep the stunts practical, avoid too much cgi and if Harrison can pull off most of his own stunts, go for it!!! If Harrison can do the stunts physically for the most part, then it should be believable enough. The character is supposed to age worse than the actor who portray them?

You have to consider just how long it would be before a proposed #5 would be made.

I don't think Lucas, Spielberg or Ford expected there would be a #5 when they embarked on KOTCS. That film had an ending, just as TLC had an ending.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
You have to consider just how long it would be before a proposed #5 would be made.

I don't think Lucas, Spielberg or Ford expected there would be a #5 when they embarked on KOTCS. That film had an ending, just as TLC had an ending.

I'm not saying its gonna get made. I'm saying started ASAP I think it could be done and well.

He's the best looking 70 year old I have ever seen, and is in better shape then most 50 year olds. Its frustrating as a fan, he was great in KOTCS, and I believe Indy 5 would be much better, its not about his age, Lucas is not doing anything these days, While Harrison is still alive its a real shame its the best thing he ever did, he wont do Indy 5, 5 years have passed since Indy4 and they have done nothing about it. :(

Túrin Turambar said:
He's the best looking 70 year old I have ever seen, and is in better shape then most 50 year olds. Its frustrating as a fan, he was great in KOTCS, and I believe Indy 5 would be much better, its not about his age, Lucas is not doing anything these days, While Harrison is still alive its a real shame its the best thing he ever did, he wont do Indy 5, 5 years have passed since Indy4 and they have done nothing about it. :(

What utter nonsense. He's not in better shape than most 50 year olds by a long stretch. He could pass for 65 maybe, but even 60 would be a stretch. He's balding, his face is sagging, he's losing definition and that certain 'look' which defined Harrison Ford in the old days is now faded. I cant put that into words properly, but if you've been following Ford for decades like I have, you'll know what I mean.

And do you mean Indy is the best thing Ford has ever done? No, its not. Blade Runner, mate, Blade Runner.

FordFan

Um... Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, and Steve Carrell are in this. Pretty sure they're not hurting for money, either.

Montana Smith

Olliana said:
**** just got real. Now Ford joining Expendables 3 is not so far from likely anymore, is it?

Expendables was another trash film. Ol' Fordy boy will be on a roll!

Of course, his acting ability limits the roles he's offered.