Sallah Not In Indy IV

Dr.Sartorius

From Dark Horizons

'deciph3r' had the chance to talk to Johnathan Rhys-Davies at the Armageddon Pulp Expo in Christchurch, New Zealand over the weekend and confirmed his "Indiana Jones IV" non-status:

"Seems he has not been asked to be in Indy 4 or even approached about it.

From the little information he had about the film he had been told through a third party that the character of Salah had been written out of Indy 4 in favour of a younger cast."

Damn, that just...well sucks. Davies, better known as Gimli from "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, played the lovable rascal Sallah in both the original "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and the second sequel "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070416c.php

Of course Shia Labeouf said he hadn't been approached and wasn't in the movie also...Something tells me John Rhys Davies is telling the truth though.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Bye bye Sallah

Ok. I just read this over at CHUD. Here's the original story as reported by darkhorizons:

'deciph3r' had the chance to talk to Johnathan Rhys-Davies at the Armageddon Pulp Expo in Christchurch, New Zealand over the weekend and confirmed his "Indiana Jones IV" non-status:

"Seems he has not been asked to be in Indy 4 or even approached about it.

From the little information he had about the film he had been told through a third party that the character of Salah had been written out of Indy 4 in favour of a younger cast."

Alright. In spite of all of my sympathy for Sallah and John Rhys-Davies I don't think this is necessarily bad news.
I like it if they bring new characters into this film instead of putting together an old reunion party.
In the case of Sallah one should also keep in mind that his rather comic and less "best friend" portrayal in Crusade is one of those things the alleged last installment has rightfully been criticized for a lot.
It's also one of those nostalgia traps many fans of whatever popculture property step into when they, afraid of new things and desperate to relive the past, call for the return of certain old favorites. Of course it can be great to watch those characters again.
But after all everything depends on their function in the story ...., which brings me to the point of a "YOUNGER CAST".

My first reaction to that was rather negative, because the story makes it sound very much like a marketing-audience segment kind of decision.
Another bad association was the often mentioned concept of passing over the torch to a younger sidekick. And again, while thinking about it, I notice how it all depends on the overall concept of the story. If the "younger cast" has an actually interesting purpose to be in this story I'm all for it. If it's just a rather formulaic addition...I'll be pissed.
But that's probably the basic condition for everything concerning this film (and others ;) ).

Maybe the "younger cast" is there to broach the issue of Indy's age in an indirect...rather interesting way.
Somehow this really leads me into the thinking that Shia may not be the son after all.
In the end it's just a third party (???) summarizing the situation to Davies, who summarized it for dh...
That said, I guess we can pretty much trust this news...

I wonder at what stage he had actually been written "out of" Indy IV. Was it decision made early on? Was it a changer from the d-draft? Or was it made after Nathanson's draft?

I'm curious to read your thoughts!

Last edited:
Maybe he's living off the royalties from his appearance in John Beveres "Affabel: Window Of Eternity" and doesn't need Indy 4....

I'm trying to find a confirmation that hopefully, it was just a job, and he's not, in fact, a deluded little dupe.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
And maybe Indy 4 would seem a little been-there-done-that after narrating Christian documantaries like "Prophecies of the Passion" and "The Priveleged Planet," for director Wayne P. Allen. I haven't seen any of his work, but I'm curious about this one...
1-57567-252-9_sm.jpg

NamedAfterDaDog

Noooooo!!!!
I shouldn't be stressing out about this, (after all, it is a long way to Delhi, anything can happen, ;) ) but still! Sallah and Short Round were my favorite characters besides Indy! Shia is taking Short Rounds place, which is okay but deep down it's still...eh.... but it crosses the line with Sallah out. If Henry Sr.'s out... let's not think those thoughts lol.
But okay, I'll get over it, but right now... grrrr!!!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'd like a cameo for Sallah. Just one or two scenes would do me just fine. But, if not, a real shame.

FordFan

I think Sallah has gotten more than enough time opposite Indy, although it would be nice to hear that laugh one more time.

On the other hand, Sallah not being in TOD gave us Short Round. I want some new sidekicks!

Avilos

I agree. Indy does not really have permanent sidekicks. Just whomever he meets on each adventure. So he has friends and contacts all over the world. Sometimes he mets up with these people again but he does not have to.

That said - we have already seen Sallah twice, I would love to see Short Round again. Maybe just a small role showing he became an an Archeology student of Indy's.

misnomer

indys travelled the world..it should be an expansive movie universe. As soon as it becomes a renuion, it just makes the character feel smaller.

its a shame, but at the same time it isnt......

Dene

If Denholm Elliott were alive and well, I don't think I'd want him in Indy 4 either. IMO his character in Last Crusade was excessively comic and I'm not sure where he had left to go.

Papa Jones

Well, that doesn't mean the fourth movie has to be a "comedy/buddy-movie" like Last Crusade.

I don't get your post, Mister Hammond.

"after narrating Christian documantaries"
Let's hope that was just a paycheque too...

What's not to get Papa Jones? Last Crusade was so lame it was mostly just self parody.... What makes you think that Indy 4 is going to be better?

Dene

ClintonHammond said:
What's not to get Papa Jones? Last Crusade was so lame it was mostly just self parody.... What makes you think that Indy 4 is going to be better?
I dislike the humour in Last Crusade too but am pretty certain that the new film won't be like that. Completely different era of filmmaking, completely different type of movie.

They haven't been developing this project for 15 years to throw it away by including silly nonsense (like the librarian's stamper)!

We weren't so very far away from Moore-era Bond at the time of LC's production. We're now decades away.

the_three_bears

Sallah can still be in it without actually appearing. I mean references to him etc, that would do for me.
The ideal situation would be a cameo appearance, one or two scenes near the end maybe.

However the best thing to come out of this news for me is the fact that they dont seem to have to rely on old stars to make this (Indy 4) work. ;)