Indiana Jones in New Haven - news, updates and everything else

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Oh oh.....some PA will be ....FIRED. I loved it when he said "no camera". *lol*

I guess Spielberg just can't resist the charm of young jewish boys with brown curly hair.

Just like myself.

Seriously: The ending of that clip is so cool. I like how they sprint down that hall. These young brats. Hah.

And the meeting with Spielberg is just lovely. Gotta love the Berg.

tnswman

I don't understand why people are concerned with Indy being on the back of a cycle? I figure that Indy will either have the kid drive him after someone which will probably lead to Indy fighting while on the back of the cycle or at least jumping onto a car.

Or, The kid might help Indy if some bad guys are chasing Indy. It makes sense to me. I'm sure that there are plenty of things for Indy to do while riding on the back of the bike.

I am sure they'll shoot inserts with Shia and Harrison on the bike pulled by a vehicle if they have not already. I actually like the idea of Indy on the back. Shia's character probably thinks porfessor Jones is a square nerd who cannot hold his own until he sees the REAL Indiana Jones kick ass.

Henry Jones Junior said:
I am sure they'll shoot inserts with Shia and Harrison on the bike pulled by a vehicle if they have not already. I actually like the idea of Indy on the back. Shia's character probably thinks porfessor Jones is a square nerd who cannot hold his own until he sees the REAL Indiana Jones kick ass.

I can really REALLY see this being the take they do on it! Judging by reaction on this forum to glimpses of Indy on the back of the bike, it seems the audiende too will be groaning and thinking he's become an old fart... and then... shia and audience alike will see Indy back in the old gear, in his off-campus persona... its a good angle I think. Great shout.

Niteshade007

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is about someone riding on the back of the motorcycle. I mean, everyone isn't the driver all the time. Even James Bond let the girl drive him when he was escaping a situation. Clearly, Indy doesn't have his own car, so his method of escape is some guy on a motorcycle. Possibly Shia, possibly some random student.

Echo22

I think it's pretty safe to assume the motorcycle is being driven by Shia LeBeouf's stunt double. There's always that slim chance that it's just some random biker - but c'mon. The question is: Does Indy know LeBeouf's character at this point in the story? Or is it the introduction? Hopefully, he already knows him and LeBeouf is dragged into this from the git-go. If he just tags along to get the younger audience, then we have problems.
I doubt that's the case, though.

Echo22 said:
I think it's pretty safe to assume the motorcycle is being driven by Shia LeBeouf's stunt double. There's always that slim chance that it's just some random biker - but c'mon. The question is: Does Indy know LeBeouf's character at this point in the story? Or is it the introduction? Hopefully, he already knows him and LeBeouf is dragged into this from the git-go. If he just tags along to get the younger audience, then we have problems.
I doubt that's the case, though.

Of course it is Shia's double. I'm with you on that. We were told in the CHUD reports that Shia's character was a greaser who rode a motorcycle so it fits perfectly.

Dr.Sartorius

New article:

The chase is on
Ed Stannard, Register Metro Editor
06/29/2007

Stuntmen ride a motorcycle on Elm and College streets Thursday for a chase scene from the fourth "Indiana Jones" movie.

Stuntmen ride a motorcycle on Elm and College streets Thursday for a chase scene from the fourth "Indiana Jones" movie. Peter Hvizdak/Register (Buy Register photos)
NEW HAVEN ? Hollywood came to New Haven in full regalia Thursday, with classic cars, vintage clothes and dozens of production staffers, extras and onlookers.

As the assistant director called out all day, "Indiana Jones" is "Rolling!"

As the chase scene in the fourth Indy movie got under way, stuntmen standing in for Harrison Ford and another character rode a motorcycle down College Street, from Grove Street all the way past Chapel Street, weaving between a New Britain Transportation Co. bus, a Ronconi's Plumbing truck and various 1950s sedans, followed closely by another cycle decked out with cameras.

While professor Henry "Indiana" Jones was dressed in a tweed jacket, the motorcycle driver wore black leather, with "Mitt" written on the chest.

It was a little hairy and not in the script, but shortly after 1 p.m., the cycle toppled, slightly injuring the driver.

Dennis Stewart, co-producer of the movie, said the bike "hit a rough patch of road" and the stunt actor bumped his head and scraped his elbow. He was brought to the hospital as a precaution.

"He is, in fact, on his way back" to the set, Stewart said at 5:15 p.m. He said the crew took a break for lunch and another stunt actor was brought in while the first was patched up.

Of the injured actor, whom he would not name, Stewart said, "He is one of the best motorcycle stunt men in the world. We brought him in especially for this project."

Katie Ambrose, a Yale School of Music graduate, was watching filming from the second floor of Sprague Hall and saw the accident.

"I'm sort of amazed he didn't get run over," she said of the injured man, whom Stewart said is British.

Meanwhile, the real Harrison Ford was filming a classroom scene in William L. Harkness Hall on Cross Campus. He and groups of actors wearing kilt skirts, saddle shoes and cat-eye glasses came out for snacks at one point.

Ford interrupted a cell phone call when a reporter shouted a question, but, while polite, said only, "I'm sorry, I can't right now." as he went back into the Gothic building.

Ford and girlfriend Calista Flockhart, of "Ally McBeal" fame, received positive reviews Wednesday evening as they ventured downtown.

Accompanied by a boy, likely Flockhart's son, they had dinner at Barcelona on Temple Street and then stopped for ice cream at Tasti D-Lite on High Street.

"He walks into the restaurant, and you watch his movies your whole life and there he was, standing in front of you," said Matt Davies, Barcelona's general manager.

"They were extremely nice people. They came in, they had a nice, little tapas experience. It was almost just like a normal family came in," he said.

Alvaro Zuniga, a senior at Wilbur Cross High School, served them a chocolate gelato and a French vanilla cone at Tasti D-Lite.

"I'm a big fan and so's my dad, and I wanted so much to ask for his autograph, but I didn't want to seem trendy," Zuniga said.

On the College Street set Thursday, extras could be seen pushing baby carriages or just strolling down College Street.

"To be an extra, your best training is military training," said one, a Screen Actors Guild member who wasn't allowed to give his name. "You show up at Oh-dark-30, they feed you ? and then you stand around waiting for something to happen."

Addyson England was visiting Yale from Phoenix, weighing whether she wants to study medicine here. "Whoa! It's a little hectic," she said while waiting for a scene to finish. "I'm definitely more interested" in Yale, she said after watching the ancient cars roll by, caught up in "the excitedness of this whole area."

On Chapel Street, cell phone cameras were everywhere as people took photos of the redone 1957 storefronts. "I really think it's the best P.R. I have seen in 20 years," said Pansy Croft, owner of Seychelles, which is appearing as Johansen & Sons Ltd. Tuxedos and Bridal. "A lot of people came down and it's almost a Mardi Gras atmosphere."

Today, filming is likely to include Chapel Street and Yale's Old Campus. Fire Marshal Joseph Cappucci said the crew was practicing blowing up flower pots, which will somehow be smashed during the chase.

And in the midst of the Old Campus, workers were creating a fake statue. It appeared the chances were good the statue wouldn't survive the chase.

Link

Finn

Staff member
torao said:
Thanks for that great report, Sartorius!

I think he looks great in that costume.
Just to clarify, the grey-haired one behind that guy in white T-shirt is Ford, not the guy with the hat.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Finn said:
You realize how... WRONG you made that sound? :p

Yeah sure.

But there's was in no way any serious thought (besides his excitement for Shia...as an actor) behind that statement.

OhioJones

torao said:
Thanks for that great report, Sartorius!

I think he looks great in that costume.

Yeah he's looking good, and seeing him in costume makes it easier to picture the stunt double as Indy!