Box Office 2008

James

I consider it to be as successful as TOD or LC. The critics were far more positive than with TOD, and about as mixed as LC.

It also lived up to expectations at the box office, and is currently the biggest film of 2008 in worldwide grosses- just as it was in 1989. Not bad, especially given the 19 year delay.

Iron Man may end up topping it domestically, but that's nothing new either. Ghostbusters stole most of TOD's thunder back in 1984, and Batman did the same to LC in 1989.

I haven't met anyone who didn't enjoy the film, or who thought it strayed too far from the previous entries. Fanboys seem to be the only group that is polarized by it, and even they aren't really unanimous in that verdict. But I think all the sequels would've been met with a similar reaction in today's world. These are old-fashioned movies that favor escapism over realism.

Last edited:

Peacock's-Eye

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark stands alone as it's OWN adventure. Why would anyone want to see a carbon copy duplicate? There are enough similarities to ROTA in TLC. Kingdom is different enough and refreshing. Glad it's not the exact same thing.

I really agree.

And I disagree about making Indy into a kind of SW circus-event. Indy was always a 'dark horse'. I'm glad they didn't tart it up into an 'event'. People went to see it based on the trailers & word of mouth, some because of the earlier movies; like in the old days. That feels right to me. And it still kicked major ass at the B.O., has created a new generation of fans, and gave many, many of us older fans another Indy movie to love. People are obsessed with pop culture these days, and with everything they like being a huge 'event' that creates or perpetuates a 'legacy'.

It's not that important, IMO.

Mothy

KOTCS started out well, the majority of people were unaware of what it contained. Then, when it was released and people saw it, and word got out, it then fell flat on its face.

Peacock's-Eye

Mothy said:
KOTCS started out well, the majority of people were unaware of what it contained. Then, when it was released and people saw it, and word got out, it then fell flat on its face.
Nope, it's still raking it in.
No movie in its third week is going to make as much as it did in its first, especially going against a bunch of new, big, summer movies.

Shortie

Success it's the #1 movie world wide (& #2 domestic). THough among fanboys it can be considered a failure. Not by me though, I loved it.

James

Mothy said:

Well, this is what all the fanboys that hated it predicted would happen, but it never did.

The film steadily increased in business on its opening weekend, and continued to hold up well in its second and third weekends. It declined only 54% in its second weekend, which is very respectable for a Memorial Day blockbuster. Most usually fall anywhere from 60-70%. It fared even better overseas, dropping only 51%.

Its box office over the past three weekends has been regarded as impressive by all the major analysts. These are unbiased pundits who wouldn't hesitate to label the film a disappointment if it were actually showing a drastic decline.

In terms of worldwide sales, KOTCS is currently the highest-grossing film of 2008. Domestically, Iron Man leads by about $30 million- but it's also been out for twice as long. (Overseas, Indy has long surpassed Tony Stark.)

Mothy

If those stats are true, they must have a morbid curiosity of seeing a laughable, steaming pile of rubbish. The word of mouth regarding KOTCS is not good at all, people are in tears of laughter when describing the scenes such as the fridge.

Peacock's-Eye

Mothy said:
If those stats are true, they must have a morbid curiosity of seeing a laughable, steaming pile of rubbish. The word of mouth regarding KOTCS is not good at all, people are in tears of laughter when describing the scenes such as the fridge.

Why are you here?

Mothy

Same reason why you are here - to discuss the film. We have different opinions, sure, that is going to be expected isn't it? Get the used to the fact that a lot of people here and outside on the streets hate this film with a strong passion, and see it as tarnishing the Indy brand indefinitely.

Peacock's-Eye

Mothy said:
Same reason why you are here - to discuss the film. We have different opinions, sure, that is going to be expected isn't it? Get the used to the fact that a lot of people here and outside on the streets hate this film with a strong passion, and see it as tarnishing the Indy brand indefinitely.

You're not discussing, you're just posting random flaming diatribes.

Was there anything in the film you enjoyed?
What exactly were your expectations?
How many times did you watch it?
Who have you talked to about the film?
What were their critiques and why do you agree with them?

That's opening a discussion.

James

Mothy said:

The stats are not only true, but they reveal that the word of mouth is not as bad as you suggest. Oh, I'm sure it is among certain groups- mainly fanboys.

But films that are truly reviled don't continue to do the kind of business Indy has done- even with a strong name brand. Batman and Robin is a film that truly had poor word of mouth, and its box office reflected that. It didn't continue to do strongly after opening weekend.

The bottom line is that Indiana Jones isn't really depedent upon fanboys or the 15-25 crowd the way most summer blockbusters are- especially comicbook films. If they're disappointed with the film, families and older audiences are more than capable of supporting the film. The film is reportedly playing better with an older crowd anyway, and that's not a demographic that's as easily tracked online. But as the analysts pointed out on Indy's 2nd and 3rd weekend, audiences are clearly enjoying it, or it wouldn't be doing as well as it is.

Filmphoenix

Darth Vile said:
I'd agree with that... in that KOTCS was never going to be a Star Wars or Raiders moment in cinema history. How would it?
With DVD and VHS before it there will never be the history make event as that of Star Wars and Raiders. Back before dvd and vhs viewers would go back and see films over and over again because that would be the only chance to see them. Now people even the ones who really love a film will go see it a couple of times then wait for the dvd.

Filmphoenix

The Man said:
The Phantom Menace was a landmark event, love it or loath it. Crystal Skull never replicated that sense of anticipation or frenzy. Many of us believe that it could/should have.
Indy was never as big as Star Wars.

Filmphoenix

Mothy said:
Thats not true. Most Indy fans knew about Mutt knew about the aliens and Marions return well before the release, and I don't know were you are but it is still holding it's own here. The only movies over it are the two that just came out, which happens to every movie this time of year. Big movies are being released back to back and no movie stays on top more than a week or two.

Filmphoenix

Mothy said:
Temple of Doom all over again

MolaRam2

If KOTCS lived up to the expectations of fans (you know the ones who would have seen it 4-5 times by now) it would have been a much better success.

The name Indiana Jones to me says 'heart pounding, edge of your seat adventure through exotic locales and encounters with the supernatural and sometimes horrific starring one badass and very determined hero.' KOTCS did not begin live up to my definition of the name 'Indiana Jones' and I imagine it didn't live up to many other people's definition of 'Indiana Jones' either hence the non-phenomenal box office. If KOTCS had lived up to my expectations, I would have seen it three times on the opening weekend.

Mike00spy

MolaRam2 said:
If KOTCS lived up to the expectations of fans (you know the ones who would have seen it 4-5 times by now) it would have been a much better success.

The name Indiana Jones to me says 'heart pounding, edge of your seat adventure through exotic locales and encounters with the supernatural and sometimes horrific starring one badass and very determined hero.' KOTCS did not begin live up to my definition of the name 'Indiana Jones' and I imagine it didn't live up to many other people's definition of 'Indiana Jones' either hence the non-phenomenal box office. If KOTCS had lived up to my expectations, I would have seen it three times on the opening weekend.

With a horrible economy in the US + the illegal bootleg climate + the rapid release to DVD, how can any film that is currently at 587 million worldwide (after only 3 weeks) be considered a failure? Or even "not a very good success?"

Ok, so it did not live up to your particular expectations. I did not know that you represent ALL Indy fans.

What is really getting annoying with people who hated the movie is their attitude - no offense ;) - They feel the need to convince everyone that their opinion of the movie is reflected in the general public. It is almost like they are trying to talk themselves into thinking it is okay to not like the movie "because everyone else hates it, too." Or, they need to spin it so they are not alone in hating the movie, for that makes them feel better as well.

Why can't some of the people who did not like the film come to these very easily figured out conclusions:

A) Box office numbers suggest it is a success
B) Word of mouth is NOT toxic due to it holding steady.
C) Internet opinions are not represenative of the general public at large in any event. Even then, average ratings on the internet are around "B" or "7/10" which is far from the majority of people hating it.
D) Critics are giving it a 77% positive and they are more harsh than a general public anyway

Stick to what is known about the movie an just say, "I did not like it, but I see that the majority of people did."

Sankara

First of all: Fanboys are like this "Everything is great! Everthings ist perfect!!! Indy 4 ist best movie of all time... blabla..."

Fans and true Fans are very critical.

"Indy 4" IS the BOTTOM of the Indy-Movies. Actually I don't think it's an Indiana Jones-Movie. This is not only my opinion... watch the imdb.com ranking list. "Skull" has 7.1 rating. "Raiders", "Temple" and "Crusade" are got better rankings.

"Skull" is not really very successfull. Only the first week was great because "Indiana Jones" means "best movies of all time"! But than many people realize "Boy... what it this :sick: ?"

Jones_Happens

Sankara said:
First of all: Fanboys are like this "Everything is great! Everthings ist perfect!!! Indy 4 ist best movie of all time... blabla..."

Fans and true Fans are very critical.

"Indy 4" IS the BOTTOM of the Indy-Movies. Actually I don't think it's an Indiana Jones-Movie. This is not only my opinion... watch the imdb.com ranking list. "Skull" has 7.1 rating. "Raiders", "Temple" and "Crusade" are got better rankings.

"Skull" is not really very successfull. Only the first week was great because "Indiana Jones" means "best movies of all time"! But than many people realize "Boy... what it this :sick: ?"
This just simply is not true. Not an attack on you, you've a right to your opinion. This statement, however, is just inaccurate. KOTCS is on pace to be the biggest summer movie of 2008.