Budget, functional DIY bullwhip tutoral

Did you find the tutoral useful

• Total voters

enigmata_wood

For anyone interested in making their own whip but on a limited budget here's a tutoral I worked out that might interest you, http://www.freewebs.com/hersir-irminsul/bullwhip.htm
The whole thing cost me £ 13 (about 20 euro) for a 10 foot whip that really cracks.
I have since used the same basic technique and adapted it to make a whip from nylon cord with much closer proportions and details to Indy's.
I will post photos of that one soon on the same tutoral.

If you find the tutoral helpful or inspiring let me know please.
If there is anything you do not understand email me off list and if I can help I will.
Enigmata Wood

Timmythekid

I actually started on that tutorial a few days ago. Wish I could have found some 6mm cord, or realized that yours actually seems to use 3-4mm twine rather than 2mm (you've got both listed , 2-3 in the ingredient list, and 3-4 in the photo of components) for the shell, as it looks better than the 2mm version I'm working on (may have to wrap a second layer, as the handle particularly is looking pretty skinny). Also wish I'd found the tutorial after you amended it with the nylon version, as I spent days trying to track down natural fiber in close-enough diameters! Anyways, thanks so much for it; I'd been searching for months for something like that, but only ever came up with the crappy duct-tape tutorials. Let you know how it turns out when I'm done!

Timmythekid

enigmata_wood said:
Glad it helped, sorry not moreso. I'm learning as i go too.
The nylon one only was my 4th whip.
Enigmata

I just want to be clear, I wasn't complaining! I wish I'd seen the new one because I was intensely torn between trying to track down the jute and sisal, or going with a ton of nylon I already had. At the end of the day, I thought, "well, must be something about the roughness of the fibers, or their ability to take colour, so let's go natural - "nylon has better taper and is stronger" -DOH! I'm really REALLY glad to have found it, and I'm getting a goofy grin just thinking about getting back to it tonight. My current thinking is that I'll finish the one I'm working on for this Halloween, then tackle a 10' version in nylon. Just a question, did you do the turkshead on the new whip separately, or are they part of the cores like the natural whip?
I also think it was your toy capgun photos I saw that made me start thinking about rebuilding a cheapie dollar-store pistol for my holster-stuffer this year. Very cool stuff, and thanks!

enigmata_wood

Nurhachi1991 said:
That is awesome man it looks great!!! To bad I have no crafting skill what so ever :(
honestly that was my second ever whip so I suggest just give it a go, the whole point of that tutoral is to make a whip using the simplest techniques

enigmata_wood

Timmythekid said:
Just a question, did you do the turkshead on the new whip separately, or are they part of the cores like the natural whip?
the turkshead was done seperately. I just took it slow and worked round them repeatedly with my makeshift 'marlinspike' [an old BLUNT 6" nail wrapped in gaffertape for a handle] until the knot was immovably tight

Timmythekid

Ah, okay, got it. I've actually got my old marlin spike, and have a good start on the first one now. Is there any chance you could give a bit of clarification about finishing the shell? I've been reading and re-reading your instructions about the wire loop, but can't quite see what's supposed to happen there. Do you do the wire bit halfway down the last cord (that's how I keep reading the tutorial), or is it at the very end (which makes more sense to my brain)? Does the wire stay in the piece, or is it somehow removed? Should it just be enough to get through the cord and make a loop, or should it be longer and braided back into the whip somehow? Sorry if these seem like thick questions, but it's getting so close to done, I just want to make sure I don't end up botching the thing.
For anyone else considering making one of these a few thoughts from someone who's now followed the tutorial:
a)Take the advice about wearing gloves. I didn't, and it's not pretty after 8' of tying knots in jute.
b)On that note, try to find something with longer strands than jute craft twine to make the shell out of. The stuff I found has short strands, and has a tendancy to break when tightening the knots. Very, very frustrating, and led to some lumps in the shell. The natural stuff can look nice, but if you can afford the nylon equivalents and dye in your budget, go for that instead.
c)Go with larger diameter stuff. I used 4.8mm cord for the core (the jump in price was about $10, so I thought "eh...close enough"). Smaller stuff will work, but the taper is not as dramatic. Next one, I'd do 6-7mm I think, or possibly a couple more cores, with shorter distances between ends of each length to spread the taper out a bit more.
d)Acrylic wash is a good start, but the thing really needs a bit of sheen to look finished. I'm currently experimenting with a silicon spray over a mixed wash of suede coloured acrylic paint, and brown, red, and yellow tempura.
e)Don't be scared. The hardest part is to get the handle wrapped, while keeping the cores relatively straight. Once you've got those first few inches done, the thing falls together very, very easily, and is a damn sight better than the cheap 6' leather crud you find in halloween stores this time of year.
f)Try and find a way to soften the material a bit. The only real problem I've got is that the knots make it so stiff, the whip doesn't roll into nice, round loops, but rather tends to want to "fold" at certain points.

enigmata_wood

Hi TimmyTheKid
Sorry I didn't answer your queries. I just got back from a week far from technology so I have only just got this thread. looks like you figured it out yourself though. Well reasoned.
I had the chance while I was away to really try out my nylon version of the same whip. It sounds like a gunshot going off!

Enigmata