Indy's Fridge in Fallout: New Vegas

Indy's brother

Indy's fridge in Fallout: New Vegas:
"...my character stumbled across a discarded refrigerator outside of the town of Goodsprings. Even before I checked the fridge out I had a feeling what it was, and sure enough, inside was a battered leather fedora. A cute tip of the hat to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and the infamous scene where Indy survives an atomic blast by hiding inside a lead-lined fridge. Appropriate given the game's post-nuclear war setting, no?"

The Drifter

That's such an awesome Easter Egg! It may be awhile before I can get the game, but I will keep an eye out for that when I do.
Thanks for this.

Indy's brother

My pleasure, Lonsome! Hell, I still have to finish plugging my way through Fallout 3 (and several other games) before I can make my way to this one. Honestly, Dead Space 2 will probably be my next purchase. ;)

The Drifter

Indy's brother said:
My pleasure, Lonsome! Hell, I still have to finish plugging my way through Fallout 3 (and several other games) before I can make my way to this one. Honestly, Dead Space 2 will probably be my next purchase. ;)

I loved Fallout 3, but money problems have reared their ugly head for me as of late.
I agree about Dead Space 2. That is a must buy for me as I adored the first one.
I want Fallout: New Vegas, but I just can't afford to shell out 60 bucks at the moment.

DiscoLad

Since we are talking about New Vegas...
Does anyone have anything to say about it because a class mate and I had talked about how awesome it was gonna be and I asked him today how it was and he just looked at me blankly and said, "Save your money for Fable..." and walked off.

That bad then?... :(

Indy's brother

Here's a screenshot:

indy_fridge_1.jpg

Screenshot2010-10-21at21321PM.png

Looks like the Fallout universe is a little more realistic....? Indy didn't make it in their reality. :eek: :dead:

(also, in the Fallout universe Indy was a gambler, apparently)

The Drifter

I love that.
It reminds me of the Simpsons game that was released a few years back. In one level you are going through some underground temple/caves as Bart and Homer. Tucked in a corner somewhere is a skeleton and a fedora.

Indy's brother

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I love that.
It reminds me of the Simpsons game that was released a few years back. In one level you are going through some underground temple/caves as Bart and Homer. Tucked in a corner somewhere is a skeleton and a fedora.

There was a TOD theme going on in one of the levels of the last Simpsons game, is that what you're talking about?

The Drifter

It's been awhile since I played the game. But there is a level right before you get to the museum that looks like a temple inside of a cave.
There was a skeleton reaching out from under a door for a fedora.

DocWhiskey

Both of those finds are too cool. Good to see Indy gettin' some love. Even though he's dead in both games.

Montana Smith

DocWhiskey said:
Both of those finds are too cool. Good to see Indy gettin' some love. Even though he's dead in both games.

That would be necrophilia. ;)

I have a feeling that Indy's skeleton has turned up in other games, as it's a classic piece of irony that the adventurer who got away with everything in his own films, doesn't manage it in another company's product.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I have a feeling that Indy's skeleton has turned up in other games, as it's a classic piece of irony that the adventurer who got away with everything in his own films, doesn't manage it in another company's product.
You're right. A conveniently-placed fedora next to some kind of death trap (often accompanied by a skeleton) is a very popular gag, especially in adventure games. Also at least two, if not three Tomb Raider games have featured the joke. I think I recall also seeing it in some role-playing games like Morrowind (complete with a journal recording his last thoughts in a slow-killing trap), Baldur's Gate and heck, even Fallout 2. So it's a recycled gag even within this particular series, albeit with a new twist that makes it fit the New Vegas mood perfectly.

We might even say that it's stopped being a novelty and has become more like a trope. Maybe I should try and compile a list if I find the time.

Indy's brother

Finn said:
We might actually say that it's stopped being an original in-joke and has turned to more like a trope. Maybe I should try and compile a list if I find the time.

The Wilhelm Scream is to movies, as Indy is to video games....?