General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Forbidden Eye

replican't said:
Harrison Ford is almost 70. He's just too old to do Indy again.

Look at his latest Letterman appearance last week:

Did you see Gran Torino? Clint carried a movie pretty awesome for a man at 78. Although many here wouldn't want to go this direction, how bout Christopher Lee in the Star Wars prequels(with the help of a computer)? You can even point to Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy or Brad Pitt in Benjamin Button for possible ideas.

I won't disagree with you that the concept for Indiana Jones 5 would've been far more interesting and worth-wild(and relevant) in the 90s and early 2000s than in 2011, but I still see a sliver of a chance for this actually happening. From the looks of it, it all is depending to how Tintin works out.

Pale Horse said:
To be more fair, when parent says no more lolli-pop, it doesn't matter how much the kid wants it.

Follow the money, there isn't any...

There isn't any any money in $317 million?:confused: Worldwide, it made even more in foreign countries than The Dark Knight.

If Tintin is the success Kennedy and Co. are hyping up, I'd agree Indy 5 is just about dead(until years past to the point of a *sigh* reboot with another actor), if it disappoints(which I seem to be repeating myself here recently in predicting that it will be) then this has a chance of getting made.

Indy's brother

teampunk said:
Ford just signed on to another movie that isn't indiana jones. i would say indy 5 is dead:(

You might be right, but I'm pretty sure Ford would drop Black Hats like a hot brick to do another Indy, or at least find a way to fit it in.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
You might be right, but I'm pretty sure Ford would drop Black Hats like a hot brick to do another Indy, or at least find a way to fit it in.

Agreed. The man doesn't exactly load his schedule all that heavily. There'd be room for Indy, with or without dropping another film.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Forbidden Eye said:
There isn't any any money in $317 million?:confused: Worldwide, it made even more in foreign countries than The Dark Knight.

If Tintin is the success Kennedy and Co. are hyping up, I'd agree Indy 5 is just about dead(until years past to the point of a *sigh* reboot with another actor), if it disappoints(which I seem to be repeating myself here recently in predicting that it will be) then this has a chance of getting made.

Don't get me wrong the Indiana Jones™ is a cash cow. But the holders of the rights and the people who benefit from it's golden egg (don't go there egg holders) are not going to relinquish them to another party. Especially when they don't have to do d*ck to make boat loads of money. Just look at KOTCS. Everyone phoned that film in, and as you say...it made duckets.

Who'd give that printing press up to someone else? First and foremost movies are about money. Period. Start that thread somewhere else, or search that concept already. It's been discussed here in some form or another before. IJ makes money period. There is no desire to create a story, or a narrative, or a character arc beyond the simplest form, if it makes a ton of dough. I would suspect that at some level, the beards are upset that the concept of a B-Serial was tainted by the desire for character growth.

Indy's arc was perfect in the three films. That is why he is a parody of himself in the 4th one. It was just supposed to be pulp fun, and the vacuum of society pressed for development of both character and adventure. Well, they squeezed out two after raiders, and sure enough...a complete and profitable run. They had enough cheddar with the 3 films, the rides and the royalties meaning that a 4th was unnecessary. All a 4th film did, was create a desire for a new generation to find the first 3. That's a wise investment.

So..follow the money. 5 won't happen, until a savvy suit at Paramount convinces the principals involved that a reboot is necessary. As long as the money keeps rolling in, as long as sites like this exist, as long as comic-con's sell sideshow collectibles, as long as Disney rolls on the adventure...it won't happen.

When was the last time you saw a new "Mickey Mouse" film? You all need to start thinking bigger about Brand and Marketing, before you decide that you want to see another film.

Now, if Indyland! ever secures the venture capital to go ahead with construction, then keep your ears to the ground. Only then will you see any continuing adventures in live action form.

The Man

So a fifth is now impossible because of...Tintin? Hmmmm...

Spielberg has no interest. He hasn't spoken enthusiastically about the subject in three years. He's barely spoken about it at all.

The director isn't keen, Lucas is too slow...and Ford cannot change that.

The chances are slim to nil. And this is an optimistic post.

Lance Quazar

replican't said:
Harrison Ford is almost 70. He's just too old to do Indy again.

Look at his latest Letterman appearance last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnNJLLY32o

Here he is in 1982:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QcyX9JWMMo

Add a couple more years at least to Letterman, and you've got to be kidding. No offence to HF, cos he's in good nick for a pensioner, but another creak of the whip? Get outta here man.

Well, it's nice to see Harrison Ford has mellowed out in the last thirty years.

That 1982 interview was downright painful.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Indy's arc was perfect in the three films. That is why he is a parody of himself in the 4th one. It was just supposed to be pulp fun, and the vacuum of society pressed for development of both character and adventure. Well, they squeezed out two after raiders, and sure enough...a complete and profitable run. They had enough cheddar with the 3 films, the rides and the royalties meaning that a 4th was unnecessary. All a 4th film did, was create a desire for a new generation to find the first 3. That's a wise investment.

Everything you wrote is on the money, Pale.

Since Lucas is a selfish film-maker (i.e. he plays with projects that he enjoys, and amends movies to suit his present sensibilities) I think he went into #4 to get Indy out his system. However, I get the sense that once that project began he and others either realized that it was turning out differently and lost their enthusiasm (looking at it positively), or that KOTCS was exactly what Lucas intended, but it was the product of an inspiriation that quickly became half-hearted (looking at it negatively).

For either of those reasons #5 looks out of the question. If Lucas isn't already inspired or enthusiastic he won't listen to prompting from fans. He'll just press on with the next thing he needs to get out of his system.

The very worst case result of KOTCS could be that it has created a desire among new fans to see #5 continue in the same vein as #4.

Last edited:
Great news: in an interview with Michael Caine I read this week, he says he is still good mates with Sean Connery and recently asked him if he'd ever make another film again. Sean replied no, he was done with that and never would appear in a film again.

Ace. So all you idiots wanting Indy's dad to return can now find another silly idea to latch on to. How about the ghost of Marcus being Indy's next sidekick?

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
Everything you wrote is on the money, Pale.

Since Lucas is a selfish film-maker (i.e. he plays with projects that he enjoys, and amends movies to suit his present sensibilities) I think he went into #4 to get Indy out his system. However, I get the sense that once that project began he and others either realized that it was turning out differently and lost their enthusiasm (looking at it positively), or that KOTCS was exactly what Lucas intended, but it was the product of an inspiriation that quickly became half-hearted (looking at it negatively).

For either of those reasons #5 looks out of the question. If Lucas isn't already inspired or enthusiastic he won't listen to prompting from fans. He'll just press on with the next thing he needs to get out of his system.

The very worst case result of KOTCS could be that it has created a desire among new fans to see #5 continue in the same vein as #4.
Judging from various interviews etc. (and despite Spielberg's protistations) I feel that, as far as KOTCS is concerned, Lucas probably gave more ground than Spielberg did. Not sure if an Indy versus Martians would have been 'better', but it would certianly have been different. I feel that the act of compromise didn't serve the movie to its best.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://entertainment.inquirer.net/7115
Harrison Ford:
?George has just finished ?Red Tails?,? he said. ?So I think he is going to turn his attention to following up on an idea that we?ve all chatted about in the past. He?s finally going to be able to spend some time on it. So it may happen. I would be happy to do another ?Indiana Jones? film if it was something that the three of us?George, Steven and I?agreed on. The process is, George comes up with the bones of an idea, and then Steven and I get involved. I think it?s a character worth revisiting.?

Indy's brother

Strange how he included Spielberg in light of Kennedy's comments on the matter recently....This is exactly the kind of quote I needed to read. Thanks for keeping hope alive by posting that one, Moedred!

Hopefully Ford will use the opportunity in Oshkosh tomorrow to put George to task on it, however he is able.

EDIT: Aww phooey, actually Ford was there yesterday, and Lucas will be there tomorrow. My bad. :eek:

Last edited:

moon_tan

Kernunnos said:
Superb news, Moedred! (y)

Kathleen Kennedy, know your place, woman! :gun:
Most women these days just want to show their guff and put their breastplate up. When Lucas and Spielberg do get ready to make Indiana Jones 5, that will keep Kennedy's mouth shut. She can go back to making Jello pudding for the kids.

Udvarnoky

Darth Vile said:
Judging from various interviews etc. (and despite Spielberg's protistations) I feel that, as far as KOTCS is concerned, Lucas probably gave more ground than Spielberg did.

I think you're probably right as far as the story's final "iteration" was concerned, but didn't it take a good ten years worth of concessions to even get there? Taking the breadth of Indy4's development into account, it's hard for me not to see what happened in 2003 as the ultimate act of ground-ceding from either of the Beards. After ten years of development hell, Spielberg and Ford had a script that they were happy about, Lucas flat-out vetoed it, and the reset button was hit. That Spielberg had more influence than Lucas on the scripts that ended up evolving into the final product is probably accurate, but how much of the director's heart was in the whole enterprise at that juncture? I think there was a point where Spielberg's fire for the project burned out, if indeed it was ever alight in the first place, and that was fatal.

Montana Smith

Moedred said:

He?s finally going to be able to spend some time on it.

So all that misinformation before that George was working on an idea? All they'd done was chatted, and Ford 'thinks' George will spend time on it.

I would be happy to do another ?Indiana Jones? film if it was something that the three of us?George, Steven and I?agreed on.

This is something he's been saying for a while. It implies that they may not be able to agree, and that Harrison will hopefully pull the plug if the ideas are too ridiculous.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Kernunnos said:
Superb news, Moedred!

Kathleen Kennedy, know your place, woman!

moon_tan said:
Most women these days just want to show their guff and put their breastplate up.....She can go back to making Jello pudding for the kids.

"Breastplate'? Are we talking about Xena? I love that show...

Um, excuse me, fellas, but there are ladies present on this board. If you want to say what you want to say about Kennedy fine, but don't turn it into a generalisation about women and these statements might be offending to some women. Is that all women are good for? Jello pudding? Yet, she's produced some good movies. And after seeing the trailers for Tin-Tin, I'm inclined to see this movie. It's looking pretty good.

And in any case, at least she gave an answer based on what she knows. A lot better than the same old 'I don't know' or "germ of an idea" story that you guys constantly complaining about hearing. She says one thing you didn't want to hear and you complain. Now, imagine if someone like George or Steven or even Harrison... I'd be curious to see what would your reactions be then.

The Drifter

Kernunnos said:
Violet, dear lady, I'd never suggest that making jello pudding is all that women are good for. :hat:

It's absurd to even imply that women are only good for making Jello pudding. They also make a mean sammich.

I only jest! Don't send me to the islands.