Whatever became of the Headpiece to the Staff or Ra?

Goonie

Ever since I saw Raiders for the first time I always wondered, whatever became of the Headpiece to the Staff or Ra?

Indy uses the headpiece to find the location of the ark, breaks the staff in half, then what did he do with the headpiece? I mean it served its purpose and was no longer useful to Indy or the Nazis. Was this ever explained or expanded on in any of the "expanded universe" stuff like the comics? Did it make it into Marcus's museum?:confused:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
No idea. I've always wondered about that too. My guess is he either gave it back to Marion as it was her father's and she did inherit it or she didn't care and they gave it to Brody for the museum. Maybe the government took it off them as well. They knew about the headpiece.

|ZiR|

I like to think he gave it back to Marion too. Would've been neat if she'd been wearing it in KotCS, though probably overkill a bit. :p

Rococo

|ZiR| said:
I like to think he gave it back to Marion too. Would've been neat if she'd been wearing it in KotCS, though probably overkill a bit. :p

Actually, I too was hoping it would make an appearance in KOTCS- it would be one of the more plot driven homages than some of the others. I'm sorry, but the Sean Connery photo on Indy's desk has drawn snickers from the crowd every time I've seen the movie!

I would have loved to have seen the headpiece worn again as a necklace by Marion, maybe at the wedding- I think it would have worked well. Especially after the "Abner" reference.

Lonsome Indy

i think he just left it there, though im not quite sure. it was never really seen or explained again after that.

Pale Horse

Staff member
One Theory

There are 13 head pieces and when you bring them together, the HSR grants the bringer full acess to all the world's lost treasures. The whole world glows with mini "x's" to mark all the spots of lost fortune and glory.

MonarchOfTheSea

Rococo said:
the Sean Connery photo on Indy's desk...

Has any one else noticed that the photo is actually a promotional still that was used for LC? I have a poster magazine with the same photo in it.
They could've used a different shot of Connery as Henry Sr, one that hadn't been seen by the public before.

Rococo

MonarchOfTheSea said:
Has any one else noticed that the photo is actually a promotional still that was used for LC? I have a poster magazine with the same photo in it.
They could've used a different shot of Connery as Henry Sr, one that hadn't been seen by the public before.

You know, I think that is what seems "wrong" about that photo- it is so obviously a promo pic. I think some grainy photo of him and Indy, maybe as a child or something we hadn't seen before, would have come across so much better.

I have that reaction anytime someone in a movie looks at a photo of a loved one- and it's so obviously that person's head shot. Makes me crazy!

It might still be at the bottom of his bag. He wouldn't have thrown it away it was too important as a reminder of his friend Abner as well as a connection to Marion (remember: when he was in the Map room he still believed she was dead. he didn't find her in the tent until after he used the headpiece.)

The photos of Henry and Marcus feel trite and forced. It feels like a TV reunion movie where they pause to remember those cast members who couldn't make an appearance.

As for the headpiece... it belongs in a museum.

Coronado

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I always wondered why he breaks the staff in half. It's not like that'll disguise how tall it was - you can just hold the pieces together!

Or have I missed something really obvious? :confused:

-Coronado

davros72

Coronado said:
Maybe I'm being dumb, but I always wondered why he breaks the staff in half. It's not like that'll disguise how tall it was - you can just hold the pieces together!

Or have I missed something really obvious? :confused:

-Coronado
Hmmmm, I'd have to look again, but I think maybe there was a pile of junk in one area away from the miniature buildings, if so he probably threw the staff on that pile so it just got mixed in with the junk.

I could be wrong though.

No idea about the Headpiece.

Benraianajones

Did he even take the headpeice off the staff after he snapped the rod? In all honesty, they probably forgot about the headpeice after its use, and hence no real explination of where it got to afterwards.

graz

Benraianajones said:
Did he even take the headpeice off the staff after he snapped the rod? In all honesty, they probably forgot about the headpeice after its use, and hence no real explination of where it got to afterwards.

I was thinking that. Didn't he just snap the rod and chuck it on the floor? Fine way to treat an ancient artifact! :D

Stoo

graz said:
I was thinking that. Didn't he just snap the rod and chuck it on the floor? Fine way to treat an ancient artifact! :D
The staff itself was not "ancient".

indyclone25

he took the head piece and put it in his bag and then when the adventure was done he gave it to marcus brody to put in the musuem---- cause they thought they would be able to also put the ark in the same exhibit

Sam Falco

That makes the most sense, because Indy's biggest interest was the Ark ending up in the museum and being used as an exhibit. So of course they'd want the entire set. They would probably have built an entire replica of the well of the souls in the museum as the exhibit room for the Ark.