What suprises does INDY 4 have in store- Cameos?

jag074

Do you think Spielberg/Lucas have suprise cameos in store?

Willie Scott?
Short round?
Sean connery?

Maybe last scene or towards end of film to round off the whole saga

Well, we already know that Connery isn't going to be in it.....

and Jonathan Ke Quan hasn't worked as a film actor since 2002...

And the less the world has to see of Kate Capshaw the better.

Katarn07

The less cameos and references there are to the other films, the better! And I'm pretty sure Koepp said he had that philosophy when writing the script. Karen Allen will have a sizeable role if he truly practices what he preaches.

Michael24

I agree, for the most part, I just want a fun Indy adventure, and I'm sure we'll get just that.

On the topic of Koepp saying he didn't want to write a "fan script" with references to the other films, that's funny because the other films did that and handled it just fine. TEMPLE OF DOOM has the "reaching for the gun" bit that references RAIDERS (even including a brief bit of music from the same scene), and THE LAST CRUSADE references RAIDERS with the Ark image on the catabomb wall and Indy's humorous little line.

I was also amused by the fact Koepp said "No human being can remember what he said 25 years ago, let alone make reference to it?" Keep thinking that, David. :D My family and I still quote ourselves and make references to things that we haven't done in almost as long.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Michael24 said:
I agree, for the most part, I just want a fun Indy adventure, and I'm sure we'll get just that.

On the topic of Koepp saying he didn't want to write a "fan script" with references to the other films, that's funny because the other films did that and handled it just fine. TEMPLE OF DOOM has the "reaching for the gun" bit that references RAIDERS (even including a brief bit of music from the same scene), and THE LAST CRUSADE references RAIDERS with the Ark image on the catabomb wall and Indy's humorous little line.

I was also amused by the fact Koepp said "No human being can remember what he said 25 years ago, let alone make reference to it?" Keep thinking that, David. :D My family and I still quote ourselves and make references to things that we haven't done in almost as long.

Yeah, but there's things that are true of real life that would strain credulity if they were put into a film. Apart from that, a lame line like "it's not just the miles honey, but the years" would be only worthwhile for the fans, a fair proportion of whom, like myself, would find it cringeworthy as hell.

Also, as per the things in ToD and LC, those were fairly subtle and didn't make a big deal of themselves. It's bad enough that Marion's back in this one; what more do we need?

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, but there's things that are true of real life that would strain credulity if they were put into a film. Apart from that, a lame line like "it's not just the miles honey, but the years" would be only worthwhile for the fans, a fair proportion of whom, like myself, would find it cringeworthy as hell.

Also, as per the things in ToD and LC, those were fairly subtle and didn't make a big deal of themselves. It's bad enough that Marion's back in this one; what more do we need?

References like the gun gag in ToD are okay (in extreme, extreme moderation), but a line like "Its not the mileage honey, its the years" would be awful.

Niteshade007

I don't want a lot of cameos (really, any at all). With Marion's confirmed return and a lot of rumors that the ark itself will play a part, I don't think it should get any more crowded than it already is.

As Attila the Professor mentioned, those references were small, and didn't really distract from the story. Indy barely stops to think about the ark as he passes it, and the gun reference was funny, but not too distracting from the scene itself.

Putting Sean Connery, Willie, and Short Round in the film, even at the very end would be a very "Are you kidding me?" moment. It would seem quite ridiculous and silly, especially since Willie and Indy obviously didn't stay together, Short Round wouldn't be as cute as 30-something year old man, and Sean Connery, while recognizable, wouldn't really be all that important to the plot.

The only reason why I think that bringing back Marion was a good idea is because it's silly to think of someone Ford's age going after a much younger Hollywood glam-girl. I don't think anybody really wants to see that.

They could have just gotten another actress to play an all new character, but if they have a son together, I suppose it makes more sense to have it be Marion as the mother/love interest than some new character we don't know about.

Katarn07

Those references are subtle, and they aren't at all cringe worthy. Watch Mummy 2 and Pirates 2 for some cringe-worthy nods to the originals. Those could have been better films if they didn't rely so much on referencing the jokes/scenes from the first one!

On the flip side, some things need references to the other films just because we expect them. In the Star Wars films, if I didn't hear someone say "I have a bad feeling about this," I would have called a foul against Lucas. Same goes for some elements all the Indy films share, such as the Paramount dissolve in the opening. But that's not really a cameo or anything, just a tradition among the films.

Michael24

Actually, I thought the way THE MUMMY RETURNS incorporated events from the first film was pretty creative.

I don't remember much in PIRATES 2, though. I love the first film, but have done my best to block the second from my memory.

No Ticket

No cameos. They're unnecessary. I don't feel like being all nostalgic. I want a fresh new Indy adventure. Marion is back, do we need a cameo? This isn't a Star Wars prequel now is it?

kongisking

Michael24 said:
Actually, I thought the way THE MUMMY RETURNS incorporated events from the first film was pretty creative.

I don't remember much in PIRATES 2, though. I love the first film, but have done my best to block the second from my memory.

"Why is all but the criticism gone?"
"The criticism is gone too."

Fat chance...:( (n) :rolleyes:

Alexandria

I would only want a cameo if it make sense in the story. If it distracted, I wouldn't like it very much. I'm happy with Marion in this one. :) She's my favorite Indy girl. :hat:

Zorg

jag074 said:
Do you think Spielberg/Lucas have suprise cameos in store?

Willie Scott?
Short round?
Sean connery?

Maybe last scene or towards end of film to round off the whole saga

The film doesn't need any of that is way better off without it. No useless cameos, please.

Vendetta08

This movie takes place in the 50s so they should have a cameo by Chris Lloyd. Mutt Jones can be at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance in Hill Valley California. That would be cool, Spielberg should even go back and insert Shia Labeef into Back to the Future Part 1 to coincide with the Doc Brown Indy 4 cameo!

Kingsley

AL_Patterson said:
This movie takes place in the 50s so they should have a cameo by Chris Lloyd. Mutt Jones can be at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance in Hill Valley California. That would be cool, Spielberg should even go back and insert Shia Labeef into Back to the Future Part 1 to coincide with the Doc Brown Indy 4 cameo!
Yes, and the Alien Rumour is in fact the sight of a flying DeLorean... in the 50's that could only be taken as an UFO.