Which Indy novel would make the best film?

LaoCheRules!

I was wondering which of the MacGregor/Caiden/McCoy books would make the best Indy film matching the formula...you know, McGuffin, Lady friend, and intro.

I've read The Peril At Delphi and it doesn't seem like it could be translated to the screen at all.

metalinvader

I don't know what it is but I always pictured Sean Patrick Flanery as Indy when I read Peril at Delphi,Probably because it takes place two years after the Young Indy series ended...Anywho..

I really think that the McCoy novels would translate into the best films.They are the most action packed and the whole Crystal Skull sub-plot/wild goose chase would be interesting on screen.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I always thought 'Dance of the Giants" out of the Rob McGregor books. Deirdre was a different love interest (she was his best student afterall), Stonehenge is in it and it's supernatural themes are very akin to Raiders.

Out of the McCoy books, I'd say "Philosopher's Stone", it's opening is fantastic with the Crystal Skull cave. Alecia is an interesting love interest not as good as Deirdre I think personally, but intriguing nevertheless. The philosopher's stone is a good artifact but it lacks a little in the supernatural effects department.

Canyon

Aww, I would have to say, definately all of the Max McCoy books. Every time I read them, I can clearly see a Temple of Doom/Raiders Indy in my mind. (y)

Flannery10

Canyon said:
Aww, I would have to say, definately all of the Max McCoy books. Every time I read them, I can clearly see a Temple of Doom/Raiders Indy in my mind. (y)

True, but some of the German Hohlbein novels would make great films, too especially "Labyrinth of Horus", which is in my opinion the best one out there. I wonder why those were never translated.

Sankara

The Hohlbein Novels are ALL very-very lousy and full of many-many Mistakes. One Story deals in 1939 and Indy "saw the first time a zeppelin"

Or Hohlbein calls Indy's whip a rhinowhip... not a bullwhip... *LOL*

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I've always been fond of McCoy's "Hollow Earth," since it takes place in the States, which makes it interesting, might is perhaps less cinematic than it might be. Even so...that might be my choice.

Dr.Sartorius

Genesis Deluge, Philosopher's Stone, Hollow Earth, Dinosaur Eggs, and maybe Seven Veils would all make great Indy movies.