A summary of what we know...

First, John Rhys-Davies let a little nugget slip about filming in China... He was quick to back pedal and say he knew nothing, but...

Karen Allen and Kate Capshaw are in for Cameos...
Sean Connery is in for a few scenes...
Sallah will not be in this one...
There will be a son...
Possibly a brother...
Location is in China...
Marion owned a bar in Nepal, outside of China...
It will take place in the fifties...
US and Russia were hip deep in cold war at this time...

Interestingly, the only items that come up in a search about China are references to seven pyramids built in ancient times, and a mars/earth connection relating to the origin of man...
http://www.marsearthconnection.com/etot3.html

So I might conclude that the Macguffin is in fact, the Garden Of Eden...

Any thoughts?

bob

thegreatimposter said:
First, John Rhys-Davies let a little nugget slip about filming in China... He was quick to back pedal and say he knew nothing, but...

There will be a son...
Possibly a brother...
Location is in China...

Interestingly, the only items that come up in a search about China are references to seven pyramids built in ancient times, and a mars/earth connection relating to the origin of man...

Any thoughts?

I think you are jumping to conclusions, If they can bring back Marion and Willie then they will bring back Sallah after all he is the 2nd most loved supporting characters. And remember that there has not been much news at all on casting so Davis would not know

The son thing, there seems to be something in it but SS has explicitly rebutted it and that must count for something.

The Brother thing is ancient news based if on anything the Boam script, people are just digging up old rumours i feel; you really cant have it all ways Henry, Brother, Son, Daughter cannot all be in same movie. I mean Indy series is not a soap opera with endless estranged family members appearing.

I dont think that Rhys Davis really knows anything other than rumours, esps about locations. Also they have been to China already in ToD and while it is possible that Indy IV will take place there i think it unlikely as they are not going to gamble even more by making another ToD estranged from classic Indy world of Judeo-Christian artifacts; i just dont buy it.

I dont think Marion's bar is in any state to be run; and there is no way i can imagine her going back. Also Nepal is quite a long way from China (in those days Tibet and Shaking existed) and it also depends where you are going in China.

China is probably the greatest ancient civilisation of all time, they have lots of artifacts but they are unlikely to be used for an Indy film because they are not part of our cultural heritige.

EvilNazi

what i want:

sallah

no son

no willie, no marion

henry but just a scene

i dont like the idea of using the last movie for remembering old characters like willie and marion. sallah is already an important supporting actor and henry i think was a third movie only kind of thing. just a scene would be ok, but not a movie where senior once again takes part of the adventure, it would be more like batman and robin. the adventures of henry and junior.

Bob,

These items are no longer speculation, they have been delivered by various sources reporting on the development of the film. Since actors are being aproached already for Indy 4, Rhys Davies would know whether he was involved or not. He knew some facts about the production which shows he was in contact with casting, but hasn't been approached for doing his character. In short, he's out, deal with it.

The offspring item hasn't necessarily been confirmed, except by the Mods in this forum, specifically Aaron, so I can't totally back that up. However, The "Sons of Darkness" script which was claimed to be writtem by Boam, was actually Fanfic written by Robert Smith. Lucasfilm nailed Smith for his script and threatened him for it, which is why the script is now available as Alabama Smith and the Sons of Darkness.

Some have speculated that Robert Smith was approached so quickly because his script had too many plot points coinciding with ideas Lucas and Spielberg were tossing around, ie Indy's long lost son. Indy's age and the time period for the film also suggests that unless Indy is infertile, guess what? It's only a matter of time before one of his ladies gets knocked up. So again, deal with it. The issue WILL come up.

Shanghai does not a China setting make... I think Chinese monks and Chinese temples can serve as a marvelous backdrop for the new Indy, since the locale was only grazed in Temple of Doom. As for Nepal and Marion, well, didn't Abner reside there before he died and then Marion took over? Since Abner seemed to get his paws on mythical items like the Headpiece for the staff of ra, it's not too much of a leap for us to conclude that there might be some reason for Indy to revisit Abners home...

Karen Allen is confirmed to be in the film for a scene. (Actually a soundbite, so we may not even see her at all, or at least not Karen Allen, but someone playing a younger Marion with Karen Allen's voice. ie Flashback.)

Sean Connery is confirmed to be in the film. However only for a few scenes.

As for Indy's brother, well, I actually have no source on this, I shouldn't have offered it like it was confirmed.

The Macguffin is probably a Judeo-Christian artifact, and since there have been many novels commissioned by Lucasfilm about Spears of Destiny and Moses' Staff, well, short of a lost city I think The Garden Of Eden is the next cinematic and logical step. Various locales, a complex journey following many clues... It could work. Indiana Jones and the Origin of Man. Crappy title, but a great cinematic move for the final hurrah of our favorite hero...

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Excellent deduction my dear Watson...and very soon we will see how much of this is correct.

bob

Great Impostor,

What confirmation do we have on Indy IV?; very little for me the only official cast info has been on the Indy girls scene but this was as a tipbit given away

Hmmm yes it is entirely possible that Indy in real life would have loads of children, but Indy is not a real person; in real life Indy would have died any number of time; and this has explicitly been rebutted by SS and to be honest as i have no idea of Aaron's sources i am not going to treat them as particularly reliable...Also the Robert Smith script was probably pulled because it got too much publicity and it was the first, it is the simplest explaination and even so the Boam script seems to have been entirely dumped it is about 8 years old remember!

Also Karen Allen is just a soundbite on the end of a phone, now this is the only detail that Darabout has given away and it really cannot be of paramount importance....

Anyway i dont want to start a debate here, the fact is with Indy IV that other than the Women scene NOTHING is certain about it; 6 years ago it was 'confirmed' that shooting was starting in Greece and the movie would be about Atlantis!, and remember the Eden plotline has only ever received one mention from GL EVER

Barryson Ford

thegreatimposter said:

There will be a son...
Possibly a brother...
Location is in China...

Any thoughts?

Okay,i'm gonna make this short, i'll elaborate if asked.

The template of Indy 4 will be the Indy and the Saucermen script,it gives us the best indication of what will see in Indy 4 : FACT

Garden of Eden,Noah's Ark ,these are probably the least likely artifacts : FACT
-there too farfetched,and this is not just my opinion,know that Lucas and Spielberg already thought the grail was 'farfetched'.
-they aren't cool or mysterious
-know your history,Commies are against religion,the notion of them going after something most Christians dont even believe in just isn't believable.

China is probably one of the least likely places Indy will visit. : FACT
history again,1930s China is not the same as 1950s China,Communism you know.

Indy will not have a son : FACT
Know that Harrison Ford has a huge ego and he doesn't like being portrayed as the father of an adult son..
And oh yeah,he also said there wont be a son.

Bob,

Guess what? Yes Indy is a fictional character, but there's a little something called sustaining disbelief. I find it hard to believe in a 60 year old man who has no urges to reproduce. Especially a globe trotting swinger like Indy. I think the issue WILL COME UP.

As for the phone call, good call, I didn't think of that for some reason, but that makes perfect sense...

THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A BOAM SCRIPT!! It was Fanfiction... Please correct me if I'm wrong by providing the title, and don't let it be "Sons of Darkness" people, it was fanfiction...

By the way, I think this is the best debate on the new film yet...

By the way, Barryson,

What are the sources of your FACTS??

And do you really feel that UFOS and Aliens would take precedence over The Garden of Eden?

Somehow I find it hard to believe Indiana Jones would be involved in something like that...

But prove me wrong...

00Kevin

Indyfan
not sure if anyone has done this yet, and I'm too lazy to search the 2 pages

thegreatimposter said:

There will be a son...
Possibly a brother...
Location is in China...

We don't know ANYTHING right now, anything could be changed:

-china, when JRD said it, he could have ment to say "If it takes place in a country outside of egypt" and just put in china as an example
-Son, WHAT? what makes you so sure? sure, there were rumors, but there have been alot of rumors about stuff, including a daughter also
-brother, sorry, that terrible Idea was thrown out long ago, if it was even real
-"marion owned a bar...." (it's called the raven, what this forum is named after), "Us and russia....": It's most likely that Neither of these things are ganna have anything to do with indy 4, though russia is possible

other things
-Sean in for a few scene
-marion/willie
-JRD not in it

these things are MOST likely true, but still, not in stone, scripts can change in the late stages

50's....yeah, that's 99.99999% for sure

00Kevin

Indyfan
thegreatimposter said:
By the way, Barryson,

And do you really feel that UFOS and Aliens would take precedence over The Garden of Eden?

Somehow I find it hard to believe Indiana Jones would be involved in something like that...

I agree, no way I can beleive an indy VS. Aliens story, that's stupid and ruins the Idea of indy films

Barryson Ford

thegreatimposter said:
By the way, Barryson,

But prove me wrong...

Glad you ask,i was referring to the fact that George Lucas never abandons a good idea.
Ofcourse there not using the Saucermen script but that doesn't mean they cant use ideas and concepts out of it.
Its like a very rough blueprint...it may be abandoned but it gives an indication what he has in mind.

Ever heard of the Monkey King script and how it was abandoned in favor of the Holy Grail quest for Indy 3 ?
They may have abandoned on the idea of the quest for a monkey King but the rest remained,Nazis returning as the villians,Indy on horse battling a tank,a speedboat chase in the harbor,the artifact granting eternal life...

I think its logical they will do the same for the Saucermen-script which is basicly nothing more then this :

Its the early 50s,Indy returns from a quest in Borneo to marry his new love.
On the day of his marriage his bride gets kidnapped(also an archeologist).
In trying to get her back Indy gets involved in the race between the U.S and the Sovjets over a 'powerfull artifact'.

Thats the story they have in mind,now they only have to change the 'powerfull artifact' from an alien relic into something else.

As for my other points,i think there very obvious,Ford made his comment in USA today.
Search the archives of HFweb or google it up and you will probably find it.

bob

thegreatimposter said:
Bob,

Guess what? Yes Indy is a fictional character, but there's a little something called sustaining disbelief. I find it hard to believe in a 60 year old man who has no urges to reproduce. Especially a globe trotting swinger like Indy. I think the issue WILL COME UP.

As for the phone call, good call, I didn't think of that for some reason, but that makes perfect sense...

THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A BOAM SCRIPT!! It was Fanfiction... Please correct me if I'm wrong by providing the title, and don't let it be "Sons of Darkness" people, it was fanfiction...

By the way, I think this is the best debate on the new film yet...

There has been a Boam script or at least indications that it was written, in about 1995/96; check your facts on this one. It was never revealed but it definately existed check the rumours back this far and you will discover that there was a great flurry of interest and rumour from 1994 - 1996...

I think it is probably a little arrogant to state that the issue of a son will explicitly come up, yes probably it will but it doesnt have to. Script meetings arent based on simply nessecity they are based around making a good movie, i think there is a chance that there may be a child but i dont think that getting round to it by bulldozering through everything we have had two absolute rebuttals from SS and HF aganist one shifty confirmation from GL; ideas change.

THERE ARE NO FACTS

00Kevin

Indyfan
Randy_Flagg said:
I guess you haven't heard, but Jar Jar is already confirmed for Indy 4.

bwahahahahahahah

Indiana Jones and Jar-Jar's Big Adventure

or mabey it should be

Jar-Jar's Big adventure......with some other guy in a hat, can't recall his name.....

Randy_Flagg

00Kevin said:
Randy_Flagg said:
I guess you haven't heard, but Jar Jar is already confirmed for Indy 4.

bwahahahahahahah

Indiana Jones and Jar-Jar's Big Adventure

or mabey it should be

Jar-Jar's Big adventure......with some other guy in a hat, can't recall his name.....

"Indiana Jones and The Gungan of Gloom"

Okay, maybe not.

[Edited by Randy_Flagg on 05-12-2003 at 01:59 pm]