Mel Brooks' Films

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Ok to be honest, I'm a fan of Mel Brooks' films. My faves are Spaceballs, Robin Hood: Men In Tights, Dracula: Dead and Loving It, The Producers (New Version), Young Frakenstein and To Be Or Not to Be? So what does everyone else think?

Abe Vayoda

My favorite has always been Young Frankenstein. I just love that he he pays such a tribute to the Whale Frankensteins. It's a loving spoof, instead of direct mocking. It also had the best performance of putting on the ritz I've ever seen.:p . The only movie of his I really don't like is Spaceballs. I thought it was boring. Though, I'd love to see him make a sequel where he lampoons the SW prequels.

IndyBuff

I like a lot of Mel's films and I think he does a good job of balancing original material while spoofing someone else's work. Spaceballs has always been my favorite but many of his other films are great too (Young Frankenstein, Robin Hood: Men In Tights, and Dracula-Dead and Loving It to name a few) .

I heard that he was planning to make a sequel to Spaceballs and that he was going to release it around the time of Episode III last year. I guess that plan never worked out.;)

Paden

I love some of Brooks' films, particularly Blazing Saddles and High Anxiety. But, like Abe, if I had to name a favorite, it would be Young Frankenstein. Classic comic moments abound in that movie, and for some reason, I never tire of watching it.

"Blücher!" :D

Gustav

My favourite Mel Brooks films are Spaceballs, Dracula: Dead and Loving it and Young Frankenstein. It's hard to pick a favourite between the three of those. I love the "must have split a vessel" scene in Dracula. I also like almost any movie with Leslie Nielsen except the Scary Movies.

Does anybody else like John Landis films?

IndyBuff

I can't believe I forgot about Blazing Saddles! That's another favorite of mine that I somehow forgot about. Thanks for the reminder Paden.

Has anyone seen his film Life Stinks? I saw it on television a couple years ago and, while not his best by any streak, did have some pretty entertaining moments. Basically, he makes a bet that can live with homeless people for a certain period of time and along the way comes to know and appreciate them. It doesn't have as much of the off-the-wall humor as some of his other pictures but it was mildly entertaining in places.

Katarn07

Men in Tights and Spaceballs by far. Young Frankenstein was only good because of Gene Wilder and The (original) Producers was half way decent for the same reason and Springtime for Hitler.

westford

I love The Producers. Saw the stage musical a couple of weeks ago, and bought the DVD box set with the original and new films when it came out.

indifan101

The Producers (one of my all time favorite movies!) Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, History of the World Part 1, Robin Hood Men in Tights. "Hey the sherif's a "ding!" Great movie!

Abe Vayoda

Oh MAN! I still have not seen History of the World Part One.... I've been looking everywhere for that movie.
I didn't like the Producers very much, it was funny the first veiwing, but subsequent viewings I thought it got weaker.

Indyologist

To be honest, I think most of Brooks' films are on the corny, stupid side with one exception: Young Frankenstein. I think this is the best film he's ever made! It was goofy, but not stupid-goofy. The humor in it went beyond constant ***** jokes and farting and actually displayed some intelligence. I just love that film!!

My favorite part/s:

* Igor: "Blucher!" (NEEEEEIIGGGGGHHHH!)

* Igor at the end of the display of progressively decomposing heads.

* The German captain with the darts in his arm and his totally lousy dart playing...

etc, etc...

Oh, and also, the whole "Puttin' and the Ritz" thing.

The monster: "Puuthing on the Ruuuuuutz!"

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Personally, I like the ending of Young Frakenstein where Gene Wilder ends up being a nypho and the monster ends up being uber intelligent. And Madeleine Khan's character ends up having the hots for the monster....:D CLASSIC!
Mel Brooks is corny, but that is my sense of humour...:whip:
Yeah, I like John Landis, Gustav.

Balou

definately "Dracula: dead and loving it". Great Leslie Nielsen, great humor, great costumes, great book, great director, bla bla yada yada.

Nevertheless.. Spaceballs is also fantastic ^^

Kill Cavalry

I'd have to say that the Producers stage musical was the best I've seen from Mel Brooks, with History of the World Part I as a close second. You just can't top "The Inquisition" song.

The Inquisition! Let's begin.
The Inquisition! Look out sin!
We're on a mission, to convert the Jews!
Je-Je-Je-Je-Jew Jew Jews!

And of course, Blazing Saddles.

Johan

I think "Men In Tights" is an offial classic in my books. I liked it better than any other Robin Hood movie I have seen (especially without the Brian Adams soundtrack).
I'd like to see a DVD version like the recently released "Spaceballs" DVD

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I've got the dvd version of Men in Tights. And it is indeed a modern classic for Brooks.:whip:

roundshort

Has to be Blazing Saddles with YF a clsoe second.

Blazing Saddles probably holds as many quotes as Caddyshack, but are a bit harder to use. . .

"They Darker than us!"
"Oh baby, you are sooo good, and they are ssssoooooooo stupid"
and of course the famous

"Up yours ******"

ahhhhhh

and who can forget

More Beans, Mr. Taggert?

Cammy

I love, love Spaceballs! I also love Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Definitely great funny movies. I haven't seen any other Mel Brooks movies though.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, well the prob is Brooks films on dvd are few and hard to get. I still haven't seen History of the World Part I, which is supposed to be one of his better films according to my Dad.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I just got History of the World! Funny, but has really corny film conventions. My favourite bit:

"It's good to be the king!"