indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

holdeen

JuniorJones said:
Those quotes always turn up like bad pennies!:D

I'm not bother about adding colour, will do if need but I am sure there is someone out there who could do a fantastic job.

10 layers! Your talking disney. With Filmation you were lucky to get 2!!:D

yep, a couple of layers are enough. if its done wisely, it gives depth to the picture.

Dr. Gonzo

IndyFan89 said:
I'm dying to help on this film: www.wsnproductions.com

Even if it's just a trailer for the film. Here is a trailer I made for my film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW715qD-41o

westsidenerd@yahoo.com

editing, sound effects, effects.

I have all kinds of Indy sound effects from punches to the wilhelm scream.

Hey just a quick question, where did you get those sound effects? Are they clean or did they get pulled straight out of the film?
I have been looking for the clean Indiana Jones sound effects, especially the punches and gun shots... (I have a great clean copy of the wilhelm scream already). If you can't divulge this information "out loud" then perhaps a private message is in order.

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
I'm not bother about adding colour, will do if need but I am sure there is someone out there who could do a fantastic job.

10 layers! Your talking disney. With Filmation you were lucky to get 2!!:D
Heh, I was talking MAXIMUM for the most complicated shots.;) Ex. The title card will probably have 7 layers as it is. (Filmation used 2 minimum but if you look at some of their opening sequences sometimes they go up to 4-5. DePatie-Freleng's "Return to the Planet of the Apes" is where you were lucky to get 2! Many shots are just a scroll across a painting.:eek: Cheap but effective at times.)

Here are the colour values as per the title card. Remember that the hat & jacket can change...Whatever looks best:

Flesh: R-240 G-164 B-93
Flesh Highlight: White
Flesh Shadow: whatever you think looks good
Beard: R-194 G-133 B-76
Hair: R-90 G-58 B-0
Hair Shadow: whatever you think looks good
Jacket: R-134 G-76 B-20
Jacket Highlight: White and R-150 G-120 B-59
Hat: R-85 G-48 B-30
Hat Band: R-45 G-35 B-29
Hat Highlight: R-129 G-102 B-88
holdeen said:
yep, a couple of layers are enough. if its done wisely, it gives depth to the picture.
Indeed. Most shots could probably be done with 2-4 layers but as I said, it all depends on how close to the Filmation aesthetic we want to keep this. Do we want to give it an updated look?

@IndyFan89: Perfect. So good to have you aboard!:D

@JuniorJones, Saboteur & Indyfan4ever: An idea. If we had voice talent good enough, we could add a narration over the animation. It could be Indy introducing himself to the audience in a very modest and almost bored-sounding way (to give it a been-there-done-that feel).

"I'm Professor Jones...I teach archaeology at Marshall College...but when I'm not standing in front of a blackboard...". The rest could be made to sound dull and uninteresting while all the action & adventure plays out at the same time. Just a thought...

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
@JuniorJones, Saboteur & Indyfan4ever: An idea. If we had voice talent good enough, we could add a narration over the animation. It could be Indy introducing himself to the audience in a very modest and almost bored-sounding way (to give it a been-there-done-that feel).

"I'm Professor Jones...I teach archaeology at Marshall College...but when I'm not standing in front of a blackboard...". The rest could be made to sound dull and uninteresting while all the action & adventure plays out at the same time. Just a thought...

Indyfan4ever should pitch an Indy, his Han Solo is cool.

Stoo

For comparison, here's a new image using a grab from JuniorJones' animation test with a new (more screen-accurate) colour scheme and HJJNR's jungle background. Opinions?:confused:

TitleCard_Idea_03.jpg

TitleCard_Idea_02b.jpg

The Drifter

Looking great, but what if the color of the jungle behind Indy was muted a bit? It would make Indiana "pop" out more to the viewer.

Stoo

Oops! I forgot to tone down the colours in the map!:eek: That would make him "pop" a little bit more. (Also, the colour of the hat needs to be changed in the new picture on top. Although, it's more "screen accurate" it still looks a little too dark.)

IndyFan89

Dr. Gonzo said:
Hey just a quick question, where did you get those sound effects? Are they clean or did they get pulled straight out of the film?
I have been looking for the clean Indiana Jones sound effects, especially the punches and gun shots... (I have a great clean copy of the wilhelm scream already). If you can't divulge this information "out loud" then perhaps a private message is in order.

I got them from a friend of a friend, and yes, they're very clean.

I use some of them in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFRkVl5zqLo

Stoo

HJJNR said:
I've gone against my usual style on this.
That's definitely more cartoony-like.

Junior Jones: In your recent test animation, is Indy on his own layer with transparency? (The circle isn't necessary.) What file formats are you able to save in without flattening the image onto 1 layer?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
That's definitely more cartoony-like.

Junior Jones: In your recent test animation, is Indy on his own layer with transparency? (The circle isn't necessary.) What file formats are you able to save in without flattening the image onto 1 layer?

Yes, excluding the circle - 5 layers. All layers are transparent.

1. Shirt
2. Eyeballs
3. Mouth and face
4. Hand
5. Hat

I'm using Toon Boom and can export swf files but I'm not sure if the effects and camera parameters will export.

Le Saboteur

IndyFan89 said:
Just wondering, exactly where are we? Do we have a script?

We're somewhere between Square 1 and Square 3. I'm still putting together something resembling a 'script' based on past discussions, and some of my own ideas. Essentially it'll be a mash-up of 'scenes' to focus our animators attention. Stoo n' JJ should and be working on animation tests.

The 1964 opening for Johnny Quest can be viewed here. I wonder if it's not being mis-remembered, 'cause it seems very similar thematically. To me, the opening to The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest is actually closer to what we're envisioning. Plus, it has the better theme song.

Ducktales & Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? are two other good examples.

Since Indy is well established, there's no need for an introduction akin to the original Johnny Quest. However, did we ever decide on whether or not to include the younger versions of any other characters from the Indyverse? (Wu Han & Short Round, for example?)

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
I'm using Toon Boom and can export swf files but I'm not sure if the effects and camera parameters will export.
You might as well send that to me for a test & we'll try it. (Look for a PM with my e-mail.;))

***ISSUE: Before I mentioned 640x480 as dimensions but maybe this should be done at 720x480?:confused:

Le Saboteur said:
We're somewhere between Square 1 and Square 3. I'm still putting together something resembling a 'script' based on past discussions, and some of my own ideas. Essentially it'll be a mash-up of 'scenes' to focus our animators attention. Stoo n' JJ should and be working on animation tests.
Personally, I'm open to some changes but scenes that should definitely be included are:

Raven/Paramountain/Plane Opening
Aerosleds
Electric Eels/Riverboat
Carpathian Castle Trap
Title Card

The reason why is because they are good ideas (IMO) from various Raven members and time has already been invested in bringing them toward reality.
Le Saboteur said:
The 1964 opening for Johnny Quest can be viewed here. I wonder if it's not being mis-remembered, 'cause it seems very similar thematically. To me, the opening to The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest is actually closer to what we're envisioning. Plus, it has the better theme song.
The better theme song? NO WAY!;):gun: As for "The Real Adventure of JQ", that's NOT what I'm envisioning at all. (On my 1st view, I thought it was a Sci-Fi-type channel bumper/preview to the show...then I realized that it was the actual opening credits. The fly-by screens showing different action pieces is something I'd like to avoid, entirely.) The links to the "Ducktales" and "Carmen Sandiego" things are good for desired pacing but let's imagine this an extremely violent cartoon that never made it to the airwaves.

The original plan was as if this show were an imaginary series from 1982. Wu Han and Shortie could be "previewed" in a Boba Fett/Holiday Special type-of-way. Here's a re-post of an image for inspiration.;)

1982_ABC_Indy.jpg

Le Saboteur said:
Since Indy is well established, there's no need for an introduction akin to the original Johnny Quest. However, did we ever decide on whether or not to include the younger versions of any other characters from the Indyverse? (Wu Han & Short Round, for example?)
A QUICK MOCK-UP. The playback on this Photobucket video is not the greatest but it should give an idea of how the title card will play out. Each element will eventually be tweaked to satisfaction and adding JuniorJones' animation will move things forward. (The jungle background is a close-up from HJJNR's riverside image with some vines added in.)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid210.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/Stoo65/Indy%20Animation/Test_TitleCard_01.flv">

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
You might as well send that to me for a test & we'll try it. (Look for a PM with my e-mail.

No problem. What do you want me to about the colouring?

Before I mentioned 640x480 as dimensions but maybe this should be done at 720x480?

What would be the purpose and what's the difference?

The fly-by screens showing different action pieces is something I'd like to avoid, entirely.

I agree, it would simply distract from the animation.

The original plan was as if this show were an imaginary series from 1982. Wu Han and Shortie could be "previewed" in a Boba Fett/Holiday Special type-of-way.

Love that idea.:D

Still, for us to get the feel of an 80s cartoon I suggest we replace Sallah with a 1930s, cog and wheel, talking computer called S.A.L.L.A.H. Who just can't undertand human emotions but can always rescue the a situation with his convienent, script friendly, device.

Indy attack by a snake. S.A.L.L.A.H. uses the snake replent focal device. Indy taken by a wave. S.A.L.L.A.H. uses the wave retrevial unit. Indy blasted into space....you get the picture.

Stoo, love the mock up.

IndyFan89

Le Saboteur said:
We're somewhere between Square 1 and Square 3. I'm still putting together something resembling a 'script' based on past discussions, and some of my own ideas. Essentially it'll be a mash-up of 'scenes' to focus our animators attention. Stoo n' JJ should and be working on animation tests

I have a story I never did use. It involves indy traveling to morroco after the events in raiders searching for the fertility idol. But there is even more that want the idol than indy and beloq.

it could be a nice little story, idk.

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
No problem. What do you want me to about the colouring?
If you have a chance to fill it in with colour, then go for it but a b/w version is fine for now. The essential part is to just collapse everything onto 1 layer with transparency around Indy in order to test the file format. Adding some extra bleed to the jacket & arm (beyond the borders of the circle) would be ideal. It can then be inserted into the title card with a mask to cut him off at the approriate places.

Re: Indy Outfit Colour Scheme: I guess we're going with the new colours?

Re: Size dimensions: In your test, the circle was horizontally squished a tiny bit which means all the proportions were slightly off. What frame size did you use to create it and what did you render it at?

Re: Mock-up: Obviously, the red line & dot will move but I'm planning on having "Indiana" and "Jones" come into frame separately and see how it compares. Do we need a better map? Any other comments/suggestions?:confused:

@IndyFan89: Since we don't have a server or website to host our files, this is also a file-sharing experiment. Maybe JJ could send you his recent animation and I could send you my AfterEffects file of the title card and you could have a go at putting Indy in the circle? We can share e-mails via the Raven Private Messages. (I need to clean mine before we get going!)

P.S. IndyFan89, choose your favourite part of your story and pitch it. If you're going to collaborate then (I think) you should have some input toward the content.

Last edited: