indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

Indy's brother

More spitballing here:

Indy wrestling within the coils of a giant snake. He grabs it's "neck" and punches it it the face.

Indy running and shooting behind himself. He rounds a corner and sees a small army complete with a tank or two. Obviously outgunned, he stops dead in his tracks. We see Indy from behind, and from the waist down. One hand drops the whip, the other drops his pistol.

A couple of quick shots of him kissing/getting kissed by a series of three different women. Then something unrelated, then a couple more quick shots of him getting slapped, shot at, spit at, or otherwise dissed (the possibilities are endless) by women.

A night shot if Indy slowly immersing himself up to his eyeballs in a swamp or river, and looking around cautiously.

Electric eels!

A Cuban army villain atop a hill, points down at Indy, signaling his men to get him. We see them in their jeeps speeding down a dirt road to persue him.

It wouldn't hurt to show him with an artifact or two throughout this. Take your pick!

A sexy She-Nazi villain!

Indy strapped down to be tortured in some way.

Again, just brainstorming. If any of this inspires you, run with it.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Animation test

Just a test. Thoughts anyone?

Just a quick point - Once we've decided the methodology of producing the animation I suggest those volunteering to do the animation work together to create a 5 second test at 14 frames a second from a storyboard of a suggested scenario.

This will help us organise the work and sort issues before people committed time to project.

indipunch.gif

Dr. Gonzo

Ska said:
I had an idea about the Paramount (Playmount) mountain logo at the beginning of the commercial. Then the text and stars from the logo vanish, as we see a plane coming around the mountain. As it gets closer we see it's on fire/smoking. It flies right into the "screen", and we transition into the first clip or title.

It'd be cool to use the red line map between each set of clips (and have the clips following from that area).

That is a great idea. I really like that.

I started pondering to myself... what would be a good first direction to take this. Should we create like a short kind of "opening title and credits" sequence, you know, like the simpsons opening couch gag, something that would play before the actual cartoon as if it were an actual animated series? If you went that route you could throw in quick shots of just about whatever you wanted to.

Then after that we would have more of a feel of how it all works, we could possibly create more shorts after that using the "opening titles and credits" sequence at the beginning of every short.

Is that feasible? Has this already been proposed?

Stoo

Dr. Gonzo said:
Is that feasible? Has this already been proposed?
When you say "we" does that mean you're willing to contribute? We need more animators! Anyways, yes an opening credits sequence is exactly what our goal is. Here's a title card mock-up. The name is only a suggestion...

TitleCard_Idea_01.jpg

Indy's brother said:
A night shot if Indy slowly immersing himself up to his eyeballs in a swamp or river, and looking around cautiously.

Electric eels!
YES and YES! As you can see above, I encorporated your idea of the red line circling Indy's head. I was thinking of having the boulder coming up behind Indy. He turns, sees it and takes off while the boulder gets larger and plugs up the circle with a smash.

Ska said:
I had an idea about the Paramount (Playmount) mountain logo at the beginning of the commercial. Then the text and stars from the logo vanish, as we see a plane coming around the mountain. As it gets closer we see it's on fire/smoking. It flies right into the "screen", and we transition into the first clip or title.

It'd be cool to use the red line map between each set of clips (and have the clips following from that area).
I loooooove your mountain idea. If no one can come up with something better (which would be hard) we should DEFINITELY do this! I've already started some sketches.

As for the red line, instead of having it inbetween shots, how about having it constantly moving in the background? Slightly faded and semi-transparent but always there and always in motion.

JuniorJones said:
I'm cool with that. Just on a technical side, in terms of making the physical animation, what’s the animation preference - (Flash, Toon Boom, Paper?)
YEAH! Toon Boom is from Montreal! They're on Laurier St.(y) I don't have their software but vote for a combo of paper and Toon Boom with some cartoon-rendered 3D for buildings. Your animation test looks great! I also agree on your 5 sec. test recommendation.

Another technical aspect we should square away is the frame dimensions. 4:3 or 16:9? My vote is for 4:3.

@col. dietrich: Do you have any sketches ready to show?

I love it with color!!!(y) The combo between A and B is awesome!!! But I think it should be called "The Adventures of Indiana Jones" and not "the NEW Adventures." Because these are not his new adventures but passed ones... Just my 2 cents.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
When you say "we" does that mean you're willing to contribute? We need more animators! Anyways, yes an opening credits sequence is exactly what our goal is. Here's a title card mock-up. The name is only a suggestion...

TitleCard_Idea_01.jpg

YES and YES! As you can see above, I encorporated your idea of the red line circling Indy's head. I was thinking of having the boulder coming up behind Indy. He turns, sees it and takes off while the boulder gets larger and plugs up the circle with a smash.

I loooooove your mountain idea. If no one can come up with something better (which would be hard) we should DEFINITELY do this! I've already started some sketches.

As for the red line, instead of having it inbetween shots, how about having it constantly moving in the background? Slightly faded and semi-transparent but always there and always in motion.

YEAH! Toon Boom is from Montreal! They're on Laurier St.(y) I don't have their software but vote for a combo of paper and Toon Boom with some cartoon-rendered 3D for buildings. Your animation test looks great! I also agree on your 5 sec. test recommendation.

Another technical aspect we should square away is the frame dimensions. 4:3 or 16:9? My vote is for 4:3.

@col. dietrich: Do you have any sketches ready to show?

Stoo, love the art. Fantastic. Can you do a model sheet?

Here's another test. (yes, I know, I haven't animated the propellers)

Animation1.gif

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
TitleCard_Idea_01.jpg

If I may suggest it, how about for your boulder idea, the tan colered area you have as a background...how about making that a stone texture, with bits of moss and ivy. Your Boulder could crash through it, leaving only the title "The New Adventures of" and "Indiana Jones" against a black background. The two titles could then move a little closer to each other, or rush the screen! You know, for dramatic effect.

If you have to have the boulder plug the hole, it should at least knock a few stones loose. The whole wall shakes a little, but the text remains still. Or for a more Spielbergian touch, you could do the "camera shake". Then when the boulder comes to rest, we can see a logo, the title, or "Coming Soon" engraved into it!

Stoo said:

I had the same idea actually! I just kept it to myself because I thought people might think it's overkill. But since I didn't trust my own judgement to suggest it first, I'm not saying that it's a bad idea.

I've got some ideas from my now defunct full length fan script that I need to contribute a little later.

Thanks for the props on the red map line circle thing. I say animate that line, too! Right as it reaches the dot, Indy can run away. Or Indy runs away, and just as the line hits the dot, it can bloom a little right before impact with the boulder. (Kind of like a subliminal wick on a stick of dynamite).

Lastly, I would just like to add that it looks GREAT!

Last edited:

Indy's brother

I just cooked up this short action idea:

Indy is hanging from a rope in something like this:

dancanl305yay305ncf1.jpg

He moves his flashlight from our left to right, as the flashlight hits the camera, use that moment as a "wipe" to use that beam of light in the next cut as the headlight of a speeding truck. As the truck turns to a profile view, we see that a villain with a maniacal snarl is on the hood of the thing. He is muscular, and his shirt is in tatters. He punches through the windshield. Indy grabs him by the wrist and pulls him in, then dives out. In the next shot, (low to the ground) we see Indy's hat fall on the ground as the tail lights speed away. The truck explodes, or crashes or goes off a cliff, and we simply see Indy's hand pick up the hat. Then on to the next thing.

muttjones

Indy's brother said:
I just cooked up this short action idea:

Indy is hanging from a rope in something like this:

He moves his flashlight from our left to right, as the flashlight hits the camera, use that moment as a "wipe" to use that beam of light in the next cut as the headlight of a speeding truck. As the truck turns to a profile view, we see that a villain with a maniacal snarl is on the hood of the thing. He is muscular, and his shirt is in tatters. He punches through the windshield. Indy grabs him by the wrist and pulls him in, then dives out. In the next shot, (low to the ground) we see Indy's hat fall on the ground as the tail lights speed away. The truck explodes, or crashes or goes off a cliff, and we simply see Indy's hand pick up the hat. Then on to the next thing.

and the hat getting picked up goes over the camera is a transition to the next shot possibly.

Ska

Lovin' all the ideas so far!

And Stoo, that title card looks amazing. Talk about motivation to get this thing started!

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:

TitleCard_Idea_01.jpg

This is FANTASTIC!

Phenomenal job! I love it.

Man, I wish we could have custom avatars on this site, this would be mine in perpetuity.

Brilliant!

Indy's brother

muttjones said:
and the hat getting picked up goes over the camera is a transition to the next shot possibly.

Sure! You could do an "old fashioned" vertical or vertical diagonal wipe like in Star Wars. I'm thinkin' from right to left.

Of course if these are used together, for the sake of pacing it would either have to be near the end or the whole thing might have to have segways/transitions like this. Just saying.

indyjones2131

I'm a writer by profession and would be happy to contribute to this promising endeavor. Please let me know how I can be of service.

Great work so far guys.

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:

TitleCard_Idea_01.jpg

I'm a Johnny Come Lately to this party and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, you are all geniuses in my book.

However, I have two very small comments regarding the logo -

how about an Indy-style map to replace the beige-ish peach colored backdrop? Then maybe move the red line to the outside of the circle so that it's actually "on" the map?

And what about "the Further Adventures of Indiana Jones", might sound a little more dramatic than "New Adventures"...

Indy's brother

Just had another thought... Another way to go with that bottle gag I came up with would be to start off with the entire bar sequence as a mini scene (after the plane/mountain bit). It just occurred to me that it would go beautifully with the beginning of the Bike Chase music from KOTCS. Each bottle strike goes perfect with it. (Did I describe that right?) The manic pace of that score might make a good tone for this.

I'm not trying to lose focus, just trying to throw as many ideas out there as I can, and see what sticks. Once I get a better feel for how this is going to play out, I'll be able to come up with all kinds of stuff.

Indy's brother

Lance Quazar said:
And what about "the Further Adventures of Indiana Jones", might sound a little more dramatic than "New Adventures"...

How 'bout "Indiana Jones: The Lost Adventures"? As though the adventures themselves are the relics that Indy is chasing after?

Ska

I was actually thinking of "The Further Adventures of..." myself, BUT

I really LOVE "The Lost Adventures of..."

Good job, Indy's bro!