Wanted - Artists and Writers for Indi Fan Comic Collective

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
The title says it all.

The brief is simple.

Writers - submit a 3-5 page self contained story but written in full script. Post for editorial comments.

Artists - The editor will assign a script for an artist to submit a page breakdown for editoral comment (the editor can provide breakdowns, if needed) and then artist produces the full art.

I will act as editor.

Once we have enough contributions the package will be put together as a cbr/cbz for general release over the web.

Who's in?:whip:

WillKill4Food

Okay, I'm going to be the first to ask.

This is a question I've always wanted to know the answer to.

Why do you write fan fiction?!

Why use other people's characters to create stories when you could create your own? Many people who write fanfics are actually pretty talented, and would be much better off to try to let their work become famous for what it is, and not fall under the shadow of George Lucas.

But because they use the names and characters and themes of what they are fans of, their works are not original and never become famous.

George Lucas originally wanted to make a Flash Gordon film, but he couldn't, so he made Star Wars. And Star Wars was more successful. Imagine what the world of entertainment would be if Lucas had just made a low-budget Flash Gordon film, and Star Wars never came to be.

So instead of writing fan fiction, why don't you make your own characters and your own original stories and ideas, and then you may actually get renown for your work?

There, it's off my chest.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
WillKill4Food said:
Okay, I'm going to be the first to ask.

This is a question I've always wanted to know the answer to.

Why do you write fan fiction?!

Why use other people's characters to create stories when you could create your own? Many people who write fanfics are actually pretty talented, and would be much better off to try to let their work become famous for what it is, and not fall under the shadow of George Lucas.

But because they use the names and characters and themes of what they are fans of, their works are not original and never become famous.

George Lucas originally wanted to make a Flash Gordon film, but he couldn't, so he made Star Wars. And Star Wars was more successful. Imagine what the world of entertainment would be if Lucas had just made a low-budget Flash Gordon film, and Star Wars never came to be.

So instead of writing fan fiction, why don't you make your own characters and your own original stories and ideas, and then you may actually get renown for your work?

Why? Because sometimes it's fun to play with another persons toys.

WillKill4Food said:

Glad you could vent. However if it were as simple as that the name George Lucas would notserve as your magical maverick juggernaut. For every GL there are thousands who swingand strike out.

Why write fan fic? Why would Silent Bob write Daredevil or Batman, why would McFarlane draw Spiderman,why do you know their names?

Well they started with OTHER peoples characters.

Here's why...we love the characters. Maybe we don't agree with the direction they've been taken and want to express them in terms of our selves and our lives or at least how we think they should be.

Mary Decker Slaney once scoffed at the NIKE slogan Just Do It, saying if it were as simple as that I would have done it! It's a gross over simplification.

Not all people who express themselves so are looking for fortune and glory or fame. It's usually those people who invest in themselves rather than the pot of gold at the end of the elusive rainbow who's talent improves and do find the success you write about.

Here's my fan fic in progress:

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5100063/1/

WillKill4Food

Thank you. As you may have noticed, the majority of my post was composed of questions, because I really did not understand why that people could enjoy writing fan fiction.

Personally, I would find it confining to write using other people's characters, and I would feel as though I was not expressing my ideas, but rather building on theirs.

Oh, and I read your fanfic, Rocket; very well written. And it expanded on the characters in a way that I appreciated. But still... I think that you're caught in someone else's shadow, which you could so easily escape from under with a few tweaks.

Le Saboteur

JuniorJones said:
Writers - submit a 3-5 page self contained story but written in full script. Post for editorial comments.

Self-contained? In three to five pages? O-kay. But more importantly, I am curious as to what exactly you mean by "full script". Is this another way of saying "prose" or in "film script" format?

WillKill4Food said:
Thank you. As you may have noticed, the majority of my post was composed of questions, because I really did not understand why that people could enjoy writing fan fiction.

Personally, I would find it confining to write using other people's characters, and I would feel as though I was not expressing my ideas, but rather building on theirs.

Oh, and I read your fanfic, Rocket; very well written. And it expanded on the characters in a way that I appreciated. But still... I think that you're caught in someone else's shadow, which you could so easily escape from under with a few tweaks.

I was running out the door, my laptop was dragging, so I didn't get to flesh out the answer well enough. The Mary Decker comment was her response to why she couldn't get the Olympic Gold and so on and so forth.

I wasn't trying to smack you really, though I took the first respose to the thread as though it was gunning it down...maybe even killing the spirit. I remember you expressing these same sentiments in another thread, and sort of remember mentioning that it served as a usefull tool to hone your craft/voice while developing your own style.

Thanks for the "review". It's kind of tough to not mine past offerings. I have a bit of editing to do still...content/grammar...I'm ashamed atsome of the slips, no "k" in front of Knowand such. I'll chalk that up to/hide behind my laptop's deficiencies for now.My space key is acting up and typing late at night dulls my attention.:eek:

I hope the "caught in someone else's shadow" refers to your point regarding someone else's characters and not something more unsavory. If you've checked out my Club Dumas and Conan threads I have a tendency to see parallels so I consciously avoid influences that might make my work derivitive.
But thanks for the compliment.:hat:

It definitely needs tweeking!

WillKill4Food

Rocket Surgeon said:
I hope the "caught in someone else's shadow" refers to your point regarding someone else's characters and not something more unsavory. If you've checked out my Club Dumas and Conan threads I have a tendency to see parallels so I consciously avoid influences that might make my work derivitive.
I did not mean to call it plagiarism, if that's the way you interpreted it. The shadow I referred to was using other people's characters and, in some cases, themes.

muttjones

WillKill4Food said:

there not trying to make anything of it. its just for fun. you're telling us some great unsolved when you say that we cannot get famous from fan fiction....

WillKill4Food said:
I did not mean to call it plagiarism, if that's the way you interpreted it. The shadow I referred to was using other people's characters and, in some cases, themes.

It felt as though it could be interpreted either way...

Re: Themes...Like writing for Sith into New Hope, I tried my hand at...well, my take, into Raiders. I have my own take on the characters and even re-reading it, it's difficult NOT to recycle some expressions and attitudes.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Le Saboteur said:
Self-contained? In three to five pages? O-kay. But more importantly, I am curious as to what exactly you mean by "full script". Is this another way of saying "prose" or in "film script" format?

Full script style is where writer breaks the story down in sequence, page-by-page and panel-by-panel, describing the action, characters, and sometimes backgrounds and "camera" points-of-view of each panel, as well as all captions and dialogue balloons. Also known as the "DC Style". In comprassion is the PLOT SCRIPT is where writer breaks his story down into individual pages. The writer may include some dialogue but does not fully script the story until the artist has drawn the story in pencil.

Example of full script below -

INDIANA JONES AND THE SEARCH FOR THE COVENANT #1
Chapter 1

Junior Jones
Script for 5 Pages - Cliffhanger
First Draft, 09/04/09

Page 1

This page has 4 widescreen panels to replicate a movie feel. The overall view of the page is a facsimile of the last shot in Raiders of the Lost Ark. All character are off camera.

Panel 1
As above a facsimile of the last shot in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

CAPTION
“North America, Feb 1945”

Panel 2
The camera dolly’s forward

GERMAN VOICE
Sie amerikanischen Schwein. Sie sprechen!

AMERICAN VOICE
Please...stop! Please!

Panel 3
The camera dolly’s forward again

GERMAN VOICE
Sie sagen, wo es ist? JETZT!

AMERICAN VOICE
I don’t know!

GERMAN VOICE
Captain, übergeben Sie mir die Gun!

Panel 4
The camera dolly’s forward for a final time

AMERICAN VOICE
No...No...NO!​

I would prefer for this thread that all scripts are in full script format as this will present a clear vision for both the writer and artist.

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Carlos22 said:
look at my comic in progress:

http://comicindy.blogspot.com/

thank you.

Overall, Nice work.

I?m sure that on the RAVEN we have a lot of talented writers who can?t draw, comic artists (like myself) who can?t write (maybe there are people that can do both!):whip: that are looking to be matched together.

Imagine this tread is the equivalent of online dating for comic book creators but without the romance, buying of the meal and non-returning of phone calls.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I am a writer (though I haven't really done much in Indy fan fic, I tend to write my own stuff, mostly screenplays and short stories). I have started a couple of fan fic stories but was never quite satisfied or had enough time to finish any of the fan fic stuff off.

I also can draw a bit and have done some fan art, that I haven't shown on the boards, mostly due to laziness. In fact, one of my fan artwork made it into an exhibition too.

Le Saboteur

I can write, and do. I just don't know if I can come up with a complete story in three to five pages; a scene, sure. I might be more interested if this was a serialized endeavor like, say, Heavy Metal.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Le Saboteur said:
I can write, and do. I just don't know if I can come up with a complete story in three to five pages; a scene, sure. I might be more interested if this was a serialized endeavor like, say, Heavy Metal.

The idea is to keep the page count low so that the commitment for the artist isn't to high but I don't have a problem with a serialzed approach provided each story can standalone.

jasperjones

I can write screenplays and would be up for the serialized approach just not sure about the comic script format. Would you look at screenplay format and adapt that? (if you want a look at some Indy fanfic there's a thread either above or below this one!).

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
jasperjones said:
I can write screenplays and would be up for the serialized approach just not sure about the comic script format. Would you look at screenplay format and adapt that? (if you want a look at some Indy fanfic there's a thread either above or below this one!).

I would prefer that scripts are written in comicbook format simply because the pacing of comics (panel and pages) have a different beat to screenplays.