Indiana Jones and the Smoking Mirror

tocksic

If you wanna have a good laugh, I just let Google translate the first few sentences of the book. We are able to send men to the moon and build space stations, but Google still isn't capable of translating at least almost properly! :D :p

Kingdom of Bhutan, the Himalayan front - 1940

Mercilessly whipped snow flurries of wind-tight through the icy air - a white mess in which we perceive the contours of his environment was hardly able. Even his own hand in front of his eyes was always only a fraction of-term vision. A whistling and howling accompanied the snowflakes swirling around wildly as if they were million stray spirits on the hopeless search for her final resting place. The icy cold cut like a razor blade through the air. Speed motion detection, full of unbridled rage, wanted to freeze them all that stood in her way. Thundering reared the natural hosts of invisible enemies against. An inhospitable spot on earth could hardly be.

Ha! I'm going to let that be translated backwards to German. I bet the result will be a satanic message! (y)

tocksic

What do you think? I like the left one better.

unbenannt1mm.jpg

Montana Smith

tocksic said:
What do you think? I like the left one better.

unbenannt1mm.jpg

Yes, definitely the left one. It obscures less of the artwork. I think it looks perfect, much easier on the eye.

I discovered the inadequacies of Alta-Vista's Babel Fish translator when I was trying to write a day-by-day history of the 1. Gebirgsjaeger-Division. I have diaries and books written in German by members of the division, but translation was such a really big headache that I put the project aside.

Aha! I was considering, last night, stacking your name as you did. But I just went to bed instead... :p

Definitely works like a charm. I much prefer the new version.

Wow, it's been a while since the last time I visited this thread but it seems like a lot of things are goin' on!!! The cover is brilliant!! Great job!!! (y)

tocksic said:
Ha! I'm going to let that be translated backwards to German. I bet the result will be a satanic message! (y)

LOL!!! :D :p

tocksic

I just posted the following announcement over at Facebook:

Dear fans and those interested in “Indiana Jones and the Smoking Mirror”!

This project is celebrating its birthday next month! I can’t believe that it’s almost three years ago since I had the idea to start an own Indiana Jones fan fiction novel in February 2009. A lot of things happened since then – concerning that novel and my own private life. When I wrote the first few lines, I was sure to have completed a full book pretty quickly. How naïve I was. I had not the slightest idea about what it means to write a book – at least to me as complete novice. More than once progress has lost momentum, more than once I was fearing not being able to complete the project. But not least due to your recurring questions and the encouragement by Jens and Norman, who assisted me with the book, I kept focused.

To cut a long story short – I am more than happy to announce the following: “Indiana Jones and the Smoking Mirror” is finished! 356 pages of pure Indy.

But before exultation is growing too big: “finished” in this case means that the process of writing is just closed. The text is ready, the story completed. The next step will involve a kind friend of mine proof reading the whole novel. Means: eliminating spelling mistakes, correcting punctuation and smoothening grammar. Being a student of German language and literature she is much more predestined for that job than me. ;) Afterwards I will finalize the text as ebook in epub and pdf format and offer it as free download – then the fun of reading could start! ;) I won’t give a final date for this yet. Just to be on the safe side. ;)

To the English speaking fans I want to say that a translation into your language is definitely part of my plans, but I have to beg your understanding that I want to wait for any feedback after the publication of the German version first. Step by step. ;)

A drop of bitterness in the end: the audio book is put on hold, at least for the very moment. Yet alone the written version of the novel did cost so much of time and struggle that I do not want to head into the next adventure called audio book immediately. But postponed is not abandoned!

I hope I was able to increase your anticipation of “Indiana Jones and the Smoking Mirror” and I want to thank everyone who supported my ambitious fan project and believed in it very much!

tocksic

Today the test print of "The Smoking Mirror" has arrived! I'm so thrilled this project will finally see it's end - at least for the German version. (y)

77504_10151897444870924_1762207509_o.jpg

Last edited:

tocksic

I just posted this on the project's Facebook page:

I am proud to announce that after almost five years in the making ?The Smoking Mirror? (in German) has a release date! As of February 1st you can download this Tripple-A fan fiction for free as an eBook! You will be able to choose between .epub (for most eBook readers and eBook apps), .mobi (for the Amazon Kindle devices and the Amazon Kindle app) and .pdf format. Again: There is only a German version of this book right now. When it gets enough attention and - more importantly ? good critics, I will start making plans for an English translation! Spread the word and thanks for all your support in the last five years!!!

tocksic

This might be a strange thing for people from countries that are not used to dub movies in their own language, but the German voice actor who is dubbing Harrison Ford in all of his movies since back from the original Star Wars has recorded an audiofile for my project to promote it. Basically - for German ears - this is Indiana Jones himself speaking. :p

http://youtu.be/mu6n3963_Pg