Raiders of the Lost Archives: A Shot-by-Shot Comparison

Stoo

Oh, no. James!:( First your "Incas" spoof went belly-up and now your computer. That is terrible news! Good luck getting your excellent site back on-line. In case you don't already have one, I highly suggest investing in an external hard drive for backups - it's a life saver!
James Byrne said:
ps. The John Wayne clip is from THE THREE MUSKETEERS serial, isn't it, Stoo?
CORRECT. James, I'm extremely impressed!:hat: Have you seen that one? How did you figure it out? For anyone who doesn't know, this version of "The Three Musketeers" is about 3 men in the French Foreign Legion and John Wayne plays an American pilot. Great serial and it's NOT from Republic, folks!:whip:

So that's 5 titles out of 30. Keep it goin'...;)

"The Light That Failed" (1939)
"Secret of the Incas" (1954)
"The Naked Jungle" (1954)
"King Kong" (1933)
"The Three Musketeers" (1933)

For the YouTube version, a few fixes will probably be made and I'd like people's opinions on this shot. Currently, a Tarzan film represents Indy dropping into the water:

VineSwing_comp1.jpg

...but I'm considering changing it to use this (but in black & white). What do y'all think?:confused:

VineSwing_comp2.jpg

James Byrne

More Indy spoof titles, Soo!

Hi Stoo
Yes, I own THE THREE MUSKETEERS John Wayne serial. I have almost every Duke Wayne movie ever made on dvd.

Here are a few more additions to the list of your 13 minute jungle masterpiece:

Cary Grant in GUNGHA DIN
Carl de Vogt in DIE SPINNEN
George Montgomery and David Farrar in WATUSI
Rod Taylor in TRADER HORN
Johnny Weismuller in TARZAN AND THE AMAZON QUEENS
Stewart Granger in KING SOLOMONS MINES
Spencer Tracy in STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE

and lastly, a pure guess here, was the spider on the bed clipped FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE?

Stoo

11 Down - 19 To Go!

Nice going, James!:hat: You nailed some of the main ones and out of your 8, six are correct!:hat:

I didn't know that "The Three Musketeers" is available on DVD.(y) This was raided for a few more clips without The Duke.

03:28 - Villain in white fedora representing Barranca after Indy whips the gun out of his hand
08:29 - Heroine running through cave tunnel representing Indy running across the booby-trapped floor
09:45 - John Wayne running through cave tunnel representing part of the boulder chase
09:52 - John Wayne (or a stunt double) leaping the mouth of the cave.
09:53 - The clips of the man rolling down the hill are from the same film but I can't remember if it's The Duke's character or not.
10:56 - Villain in white fedora representing Indy escaping while the Hovitos are distracted by Belloq's presentation of the idol.
12:33 - The ending sequence in the plane (minus the clip of the snake & the sunset)

Cary Grant from "Gunga Din" was used just for that one shot of the jump over the bottomless pit so nice spot, James!

Carl de Vogt from "Die Spinnen/Spiders", Stewart Granger and Rod Taylor are all major players. You've just identified LARGE chunks of the spoof. Again, I'm very impressed. George Montgomery and David Farrar from "Watusi" are both used in several shots throughout. (Speaking of Rod Taylor, have you ever seen "Dark of the Sun"?)

Spencer Tracy as Henry Morton Stanley. There are also a couple of other shots from "Stanley and Livingstone" (ex. the long shot of the natives running forward over the field). In the pre-internet days, I spent a lot of time and effort to try and obtain a copy of this film because I knew it existed on VHS. To no avail...then one day...it played on the Biography Channel!

Tarzan. There are indeed, 3 Tarzan films but "Tarzan and the Amazons" is not one of them.:( Good guess on the spider shot but the James Bond scene you're thinking of is from "Dr. No." and no, it's not from that. The spider on the pillow is from the one of the films you've already named, "Watusi".

So...James' expertise brings the total to 11 out of 30.

"The Light That Failed" (1939)
"Secret of the Incas" (1954)
"The Naked Jungle" (1954)
"King Kong" (1933)
"The Three Musketeers" (1933)
"Die Spinnen/Spiders (1919)
"King Solomon's Mines" (1954)
"Watusi" (1959)
"Trader Horn" (1973)
"Stanley and Livingstone" (1939)
"Gunga Din" (1939)

HINT: 2 of the titles James picked out had earlier versions.;)

James Byrne

Stoo
The John Wayne serial THE THREE MUSKETEERS has been available over here in the U.K. for some time now. Its available in three different dvds of the whole serial. I have seen DARK OF THE SUN, and used to own it on video, but I have got rid of them all (about 4,000) because they were taking up too much room. There was was some titles too, and many rare ones, but the wife forced me to get rid of them all - or face the consequences!

James Byrne

Three more off the list - hopefully!

Three more titles off the list stoo.
RAIDERS OF GHOST CITY
TRADER HORN (1931) with Harry Carey and Duncan Renaldo playing "Peru"
KING SOLOMONS MINES (1930's version with Cedric Hardwicke).

Stoo

14 Down - 16 to Go

BINGO! Again, good stuff, James!:hat: The funny thing is that I was just coming here to post Harry Carey and Sir Cedric Hardwicke as clues. What an eerie coincidence!:eek:

Hardwicke is my personal favourite Quatermain as his portrayal is much closer to Haggard's description. The '31 version of "Trader Horn" was used very extensively and probably the 2nd most raided film behind "Secret of the Incas". The vine-swing shot is priceless. Now that most of the major players have been solved, I'll do a breakdown of all the short, unspoken for clips to help make it easier.
James Byrne said:
I have seen DARK OF THE SUN, and used to own it on video, but I have got rid of them all (about 4,000) because they were taking up too much room. There was was some titles too, and many rare ones, but the wife forced me to get rid of them all - or face the consequences!
Nice to know about the "Musketeers" DVDs. Good ol' Marion Morrison - oops - I mean John Wayne. "Dark of the Sun" is a keeper (with a fantastic score to boot).

I can completely sympathize with your plight because my girlfriend gives me grief for my film collection all too often. What a man will do for love. After copying as much rare stuff as possible onto DVD, I'm in the long process of re-purchasing the remainder. 4000?!?:eek: WOW! That's incredible! I don't have even nearly half as much. How did you get rid of them? All of my VHS tapes are in storage.

James Byrne

Hi stoo
I now regret getting rid of some of those videos ... just wished I had the space to store them ... but it became very difficult to find a title when we wanted to watch a particular video. There was some exceedingly rare old British movies from the 1940's-50's that haven't resurfaced on dvd, so I now really regret my hasty "clear-out" on the wife's orders!
I donated quite a lot to Oxfam, but they weren't allowed to accept anything taped off the BBC, even though I had made some pretty decent covers for them.

Btw, I was mistaken when I told you that the John Wayne serial THE THREE MUSKETEERS is on dvd. The three dvd serial is actually called HURRICANE EXPRESS.

Montana Smith

James Byrne said:
Hi stoo
I now regret getting rid of some of those videos ... just wished I had the space to store them ... but it became very difficult to find a title when we wanted to watch a particular video. There was some exceedingly rare old British movies from the 1940's-50's that haven't resurfaced on dvd, so I now really regret my hasty "clear-out" on the wife's orders!
I donated quite a lot to Oxfam, but they weren't allowed to accept anything taped off the BBC, even though I had made some pretty decent covers for them.

I know the pain of remembering things I wish I hadn't disposed of...

As for locating particular titles in your own collection, my DVD collection is well overdue for alphabetical reorganization!

There is still some obscure law that says you can only keep recordings from TV for a certain length of time, but it's one of those things that nobody's ever going to bother about, unless you're trying to make a profit from them. Oxfam wouldn't want to fall foul of that.

Montana Smith

James Byrne said:
Montana
I had to dump hundreds of those "unofficial videos" in the skip, which broke my heart in a weird kind of way.

I understand that, but then videos were so big and bulky to store. It's bad enough with DVDs, which I'm always buying at car boot sales. There's something special about having all those worlds existing on shiny discs, so much so that I can rarely part with any. Hence my need to reorganize so I can actually remember what I've got!

Stoo's obsession with the old classics is making me want to broaden my search when I'm looking at DVDs...

Stoo

Thanks, guys.:hat: There are even more that I wanted to include but couldn't fit them in. Will comment on your conversation from the previous page later but for now...

Here?s a clue to another title. A bit unfair since it?s UK specific but James seems to be the only one left playing so I suppose it doesn?t really matter.:p (James Byrne IS...The Last Man Standing!)

CLUE: The close-up shots of the feet representing Indy stepping between the trigger stones is from a b/w film. Footage from the finale of this movie was used in a UK television commercial for Carlsberg Beer. (If this doesn?t help, I could tell you whose feet they are.;))

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Thanks, guys.:hat: There are even more that I wanted to include but couldn't fit them in. Will comment on your conversation from the previous page later but for now...

Here?s a clue to another title. A bit unfair since it?s UK specific but James seems to be the only one left playing so I suppose it doesn?t really matter.:p (James Byrne IS...The Last Man Standing!)

CLUE: The close-up shots of the feet representing Indy stepping between the trigger stones is from a b/w film. Footage from the finale of this movie was used in a UK television commercial for Carlsberg Beer. (If this doesn?t help, I could tell you whose feet they are.;))

Ice-Cold in Alex? Couldn't get much further from the jungle, though!

James Byrne

Montana Smith said:
Ice-Cold in Alex? Couldn't get much further from the jungle, though!

ICE COLD IN ALEX was shown in Holsten beer adverts - not Carlsberg, Montana. you have me stumped Stoo, I need another clue, mate.

Montana Smith

James Byrne said:
ICE COLD IN ALEX was shown in Holsten beer adverts - not Carlsberg, Montana. you have me stumped Stoo, I need another clue, mate.

I thought of Ice-Cold, as it was Carlsberg they drank in the bar at the end.

Carlsberg also used the film in their own advert as a retaliation for Holsten Pils taking credit for the lager in the original:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice-Cold_in_Alex

The final scene, in which Mills' character finally gets his glass of lager, was reportedly filmed some weeks after the rest of the film, at Elstree Studios. Real lager had to be used to 'look right', and Mills had to drink numerous glassfuls until the shots were finished, and was "a little 'heady'" by the end.

It was said by Sylvia Syms that (Danish) Carlsberg was chosen because they could never have been seen to be drinking a German lager. In fact the beer referred to in the original novel is "Rhinegold", which although not German, certainly has German connotations.

Scenes from the film were used in one example of a wider late-1980s television advertising campaign for the German Holsten Pils lager. Each advertisement mixed original footage from a different old film (another example was The Great Escape) with new humorous material starring British comedian Griff Rhys Jones and finishing with the slogan "A Holsten Pils Production". In retaliation, rival Carlsberg simply lifted the segment in which Mills contemplates the freshly-poured lager in the clearly Carlsberg-branded glass, before downing it in one go and declaring: "Worth waiting for!"

It could still be wrong, though. So come on, Stoo!

Stoo

15 All - Montana Makes a Tie Goal

Montana Smith is right with "Ice Cold in Alex"!(y) (the edited N.American version is titled: "Desert Attack") The only reason I know about the Carlsberg ad is because I was showing the film to a friend of mine from Brighton several years ago. When we got to the end, he was shouting out, "I know this! I know this!" Again, Montana is also right regarding the Carlsberg logo on the glasses. (Apparently the Carlsberg ad was colourized?!? I've never seen it!:eek: Would love to see the Holsten Pils advert, too.)

Clips used were of Sir John Mills' feet walking across a potential mine field. Indy-related or not, it's a GREAT FILM!

The man who directed it, J. Lee Thompson (one of my faves), did several other classics such as "Guns of Navarone" & "Cape Fear" but also did his share of schlock: The last 2 "Planet of the Apes" films and the '85 version of "King Solomon's Mines" (among others)...even though I don't consider "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" to be schlock.

Sorry for the late reply, mates. There is still more that I want to say re: your other conversations but thought I should settle this one for now...;)

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Montana Smith is right with "Ice Cold in Alex"!(y) (the edited N.American version is titled: "Desert Attack") The only reason I know about the Carlsberg ad is because I was showing the film to a friend of mine from Brighton several years ago. When we got to the end, he was shouting out, "I know this! I know this!" Again, Montana is also right regarding the Carlsberg logo on the glasses. (Apparently the Carlsberg ad was colourized?!? I've never seen it!:eek: Would love to see the Holsten Pils advert, too.)

I did a few searches in Google, and the only Carlsberg "Ice-Cold" I found was a 54 second film showing the iconic moment in the bar. Yet, it didn't seem to be the actual advert from TV, but rather a clip straight from the film. No colour, and no tagline on screen.

Stoo said:
The man who directed it, J. Lee Thompson (one of my faves), did several other classics such as "Guns of Navarone" & "Cape Fear" but also did his share of schlock: The last 2 "Planet of the Apes" films and the '85 version of "King Solomon's Mines" (among others)...even though I don't consider "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" to be schlock.

He had some good films under his belt. Conquest was good, but Battle for the Planet of the Apes was a shocker. It had only one good thing going for it - it had classic apes in it! (Tim Burton, you should've taken note!)

AtomicAnt

Stoo said:
Here?s an entirely different way to watch the first 13 minutes of ?Raiders of the Lost Ark?, the opening sequence which blew me away in 1981 and continues to do the same today. Behold a shot-by-shot comparison of ?Raiders? vs. an assortment of various adventure flicks. This took me 2 DECADES to assemble but it?s finally finished! A labour of love...

30 films were used. Who can name them all? Since the shots of the Paramount logo would be impossible to determine, I?ll begin by saying that they are Rudyard Kipling?s, ?The Light That Failed? and the great, ?Secret of the Incas?. (So there?s 2 out of 30 for ya.;))

Raiders of the Lost Archives

Some sequences from the other Indy movies are possible to duplicate using old clips and I plan on doing some more in the future. In this one, there are a few, tiny glitches here & there but I grew tired of tinkering and let them be...Enjoy (and be sure to watch it fullscreen)!:D
Wow.. That's amazing. Major props, man! :whip: