Raiders of the Lost Archives: A Shot-by-Shot Comparison

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
It was also a good opportunity to advertise The Raven so I slipped in a mention and it made the final print!
Hmm. I wonder if it's coincidental that it seems like there's been a minor, but visible spike in the visitor stats over the past seven days...

Either way, the upkeep appreciates.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
They can't see that it isn't a literal transalation, but an indication of the broad homage to Raiders' cultural ancestors.

I was wowed by your work from the first viewing. Now that I've seen some of the footage in it's original context, it only makes it more special.
Thanks, Smiff.:) Most viewers understand this and it's pleasing to know that the overwhelming majority of comments are positive and praising. For the moment, I'm posting the negative stuff because it's so hilarious.

Here are some weird ones (from the 'I've-never-seen-Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark' category):

goodmaro: If the film on the left was deliberately blocked scene by scene as a pastiche of those on the right, then that was an excellent job that must've taken a lot more work than to do an original film. If I ever see "Raiders of the Lost Ark" at full length, now I'll appreciate it better, thanks.

Dukefrukem: 31 people would have looked into the Ark of the Covenant*
---
*Indy didn't look into the Ark!:rolleyes:
Finn said:
Hmm. I wonder if it's coincidental that it seems like there's been a minor, but visible spike in the visitor stats over the past seven days...

Either way, the upkeep appreciates.
Could be a coincidence. We may never know...but...in the advertising world, a little word-of-mouth can go a long way.;)

Stoo

It's been exactly 1 month since my video was 'discovered' by various websites. Presently, it has received 264,515 views but it hit the quarter of a million mark in 16 days. (A fairly, modest number but I'm happy with it.:))

The Australian interviewer asked: "Were you ever concerned you might be part of destroying - or at least taking the shine off - a cinematic legend?"

To which I answered, "No, not at all." because I figured the target audience (Indy fans) would understand the point. Nonetheless, the Spielberg & Lucas bashing STILL continues (with most recent remark being made yesterday).(n)

===
quickP76: I think is worse than when I was 11 and realized the Bible was just a retelling of older stories.

I realize it was a homage but c’mon, where’s the line between homage and plagiarism here?

Occido70: Oh Lucas..you’re the most unoriginal film maker of all time.

erikj: To think that Speilberg copied from the old films reflecs that hes not as creative and original as where are lead to believe.

therealfatNINJA: Remember this video every time a corporation goes after someone that’s sampled something.

Dummy00001: Unbelievable! Unthinkable!

Lucas must be sued out of business immediately for such gross copyright infringement!!!

SuperLAFF: los “reciclajes” de Spielberg (the “recycling” of Spielberg)

signboy: spielberg is a thief who lacks imagination and innovation

SottileGioia: I knew Indiana Jones movies were supposed to be a tribute to old adventure movies, but, wow, this is too much.

AntonSlizzardhands: Inspiration or stealing?

Dea0X: Shows that copyright and inspiration really don’t like each other very much.

MrTrex01: The little respect I had for George Lucas is now gone. Trust me when I say, "We will be better off without him."

pensftmfw: Hollywood has never cared about originality anyway. Steven you biter! lol

jake42789: IMDb tells me there’s a character in Raiders of Ghost City called Idaho Jones. Smooth move, Spielberg.

Koiler8: I know your a Spielberg/Lucas fan, but it's sooooo obvious he cloned (pun intended) this one. Down to the title even.

mamece2: so.. the entire movie is a TRIBUTE.. right..

docatomics: ...plagiarism begats plagiarism
-and Steven Spitsbergen secret source is revealed, perhaps
=once and for all

maadyl: Do you copy exact Music Scores,exact paintings,exact texts ? This is just a "Plagiat"

Sprawler3: @StooTV but if i make a movie that looks EXACTLY like "xxx2" i can't say i've been influenced by "xxx2", then i've COPIED "xxx2".....

ereunloko: That's not an influence, that's plagiarism, It's way too similar.

Chorisaurio: It is not surprising coming from a *** like Spielberg. They all do the same way: first they copy, then claim it is their invention. They aren't able to create anything. Their so celebrated 'intelligence' is only a myth.

===
And, finally...la pièce de résistance...from the brilliant mind of Mr. VexT916 (posted yesterday):

VexT916: Geez, bunch of ignorant morons on youtube. Don't you people get the subliminal behind this post? It's not just to merely venerate or revere Spielberg's ass, but it actually exposes the fact that he plagiarized and copied many scenes from older movies to make Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is not inspiration at all but mimicry. It just goes to show he is not talented and original in creativity as the media spins him to be and that he's just another initiated goon for the Hollywood establishment.

---
(Speaking of "ignorant morons on YouTube", VexT916 gets a special award.:p)

Montana Smith

It's incredible to think there are so many people who still don't know (thirty years on) what Lucas was doing when he made Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The connections between his films and the earlier serials have, I'm sure, been reported from the beginning. I remember reading the name Flash Gordon in relation to Star Wars in the late '70s. And it should be no surprise that there was a Flash Gordon movie in 1980, and a cartoon series on TV.

The same can be said of Indy's connections to ealier forms.

Stoo

HenryJunior said:
So that's you who made that Stoo? Very well done! My Dad and I watched it just before I joined the forum recently.
:whip:
Happy to hear that you & your dad liked it, HenryJunior!:) For any new Raven members who haven't seen it, here is the YouTube link:

Raiders of the Lost Archives

Next up on deck is the TRUCK CHASE from "Raiders"!(y) I've managed to replicate most of its key sequences but am constantly on the quest for more parallels...

Marshall2288

Just watched this today. I'm unfamiliar with all the old movies and this was a treat to watch. The hard work is appreciated.

Oh some guy named Cptjacksparrow80 just posted and he seems to like it...a lot :)

russds

@stoo: Awesome job. It really looks like it took a while. The attention to detail is incredible. The use of lighting, smoke, etc. It's just great. I've always appreciated the comic book style / serial look of the Indy movies, this really emphasis that. Makes your compilation and the raiders movie look good.

Stoo

Marshall2288 said:
Just watched this today. I'm unfamiliar with all the old movies and this was a treat to watch. The hard work is appreciated.

Oh some guy named Cptjacksparrow80 just posted and he seems to like it...a lot :)
Glad that you enjoyed it, Marshall. Hopefully, it will inspire you to watch some of the oldies (but goodies)!;)

Yes, the Cptjacksparrow80 comment was pretty complimentary. He said, "Best. Video. Ever!"
russds said:
@stoo: Awesome job. It really looks like it took a while. The attention to detail is incredible. The use of lighting, smoke, etc. It's just great. I've always appreciated the comic book style / serial look of the Indy movies, this really emphasis that. Makes your compilation and the raiders movie look good.
Thank you very much, Russ.:D Some shots were such perfect matches, they were begging to be compared side-by-side with "Raiders"! Synchronizing them was the fun part.

---
I'm pulling together stuff for the desert chase and am having a devil of a time finding an older film with an Arab laying across the hood of moving truck. Suggestions anyone?:confused:

Mickiana

Stoo said:
The Australian interviewer asked: "Were you ever concerned you might be part of destroying - or at least taking the shine off - a cinematic legend?"

Stoo, he's no one I know down here!

Stoo

Here's the latest, moronic comment to be made (3 hours ago):

mullaleo85: Steven Stealberg jewish theif

Pass me the hookah before my blood starts to boil...:mad:

James Byrne

Stoo said:
Here's the latest, moronic comment to be made (3 hours ago):

mullaleo85: Steven Stealberg jewish theif

Pass me the hookah before my blood starts to boil...:mad:

What a racist thicko!

Stoo

"The New Yorker" magazine mentions my video!

I was wondering why there was a recent increase of views, comments & subscriptions to my YouTube channel over the past week. Thanks to some heads-up news from Pale Horse, now I know why.

A few days ago (27 March), my video was mentioned by the long-running magazine, "The New Yorker"! Its on-line version has an article about the "Raiders" story conference in 1978 between Lucas, Spielberg & Kasdan...and the writer gives a shout out to my work, calling it "astounding" & "well worth watching"! This is pleasing praise to read from such a prestigious publication.:D

Patrick Radden Keefe of "The New Yorker":
"(If you want a further sense of what a clever pastiche of earlier films “Raiders” ended up becoming, and haven’t seen this astounding supercut, it is well worth watching.)"

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo...indy.html?mbid=gnep&google_editors_picks=true

The link in that blurb connects to another website (Blastr.com), which says:
"13 minute supercut reveals Spielberg’s Raiders inspirations

Ever have that strange sense of déjà vu watching Spielberg's Raiders of the Lost Ark? Well, somebody else did, too, and matched up mirror images from vintage Lost City serials and paired them side by side to compare. The result will give you jungle fever and have you seeing double for days.

YouTube maestro StooTV collected shots and scenes from 30 adventure films of the golden age, spanning the years 1919-1973, and married them to the same scenes in Indy. The shot-by-shot union is visual verbatim at its best. Check it out…"

http://www.blastr.com/2012/01/13-minute-supercut-reveal.php

---
There are a lot of on-line articles about the video but for it to be mentioned by "The New Yorker" (more than 2 years after I uploaded it) is pretty cool, if you ask me.:cool:

P.S. "The New Yorker" is a weekly publication. Does anyone know if this was printed in the actual, PAPER edition?:confused:

Archaeos

Wow, congratulations. What an wonderful appreciation for your hard work and passion by a magazine as prestigious as "The New Yorker".

I have a friend (in NYC... dah!) who is subscribed to the print edition of "New Yorker". I will ask to investigate the issues around late March for you.

(y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
P.S. "The New Yorker" is a weekly publication. Does anyone know if this was printed in the actual, PAPER edition?:confused:

I'm a subscriber. It doesn't appear so. The most recent issue was dated March 25, and the piece online is dated March 26. It'd most likely have been in the "Talk of the Town" section, a portion near the beginning with short pieces of roughly the length of this one, or slightly shorter. It's not there.

Archaeos

Quick word I receive back from my friend confirms Attila's finding. But he will go through it page by page tomorrow again.

russds

Awesome, congratulations! It is a fine piece of work. I find that work like this, when there's passion, hard work, and talent put into them, they get noticed...it may take a while, but they will get noticed. Awesome job!

Stoo

Attila & Archaeos: I sincerely appreciate your prompt investigations, guys. Maybe it's in this week's issue? (Come to think of it, even if the article was in the printed edition, there'd be no reason to include the mention since a link to the video would be useless on paper!)

Russds: Thank you, buddy. Wouldn't it be great if this article managed to get Spielberg or Lucas to notice/watch it?

Montana Smiff: A part of me wishes that I had waited a little longer to assemble the thing because I'm continually finding better matches. As one example; Barranca's gun (which you just bought a replica of) falling into the water. For that shot, I used a Zulu/Bantu axe-head falling to the ground (from the 1937 version of "King Solomon's Mines") because I was desperate to finish and didn't have anything better in mind. Since then, I found a revolver hitting the ground and falling into some water from an episode of the serial, "King of the Mounties" and it's a perfect match!:gun:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
A part of me wishes that I had waited a little longer to assemble the thing because I'm continually finding better matches.
You could always upload a new addition, and if you do... :)

aspect_ratio.png