Indiana Jones Radio Drama

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
KVoss aka Doom Town, aka Brother Keith has finished scripting another Radio Drama for the Indy Cast.

The first: Flensburg,1942 was produced by Ed and Rob, (among others) for Episode 90.

http://www.forcecast.net/story/indycast/IndyCast_Episode_90_128254.asp

Instead or reading it cold, Ed produced it as an "old time radio show" like The Shadow or The Lone Ranger.

Can't wait to hear how this one pans out!

Now that does sound interesting. I've only downloaded a few Indy Casts, but I'll have to give that one a listen.

DoomTown

Hope you guys like it!!! There are a few more in the works, and a few of us are also thinking of adapting a few of the unproduced "Young Indy" scripts that would play out over multiple parts...(y)

Stay tuned for "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Yearning"!
Thailand, 1934....

Junior Jones

DoomTown said:
...a few of us are also thinking of adapting a few of the unproduced "Young Indy" scripts that would play out over multiple parts...(y)

Cool! I'd be interested in helping out with writing those if it happens. I've been doing copious research in preparation for writing my own stories, but those take a long time to do by myself. I'd enjoy contributing to this project. PM me if it goes forward.

Phil

Montana Smith

DoomTown said:
Hope you guys like it!!! There are a few more in the works, and a few of us are also thinking of adapting a few of the unproduced "Young Indy" scripts that would play out over multiple parts...(y)

Stay tuned for "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Yearning"!
Thailand, 1934....

It was best listening to the characters talking for themselves, without the narration. I can't remember clearly how the original radio plays were done (I recall listening to Dick Barton and Snowy), but I think a lot of it was done in character, with the actors describing what they were seeing. With the music and intentionally aged sound, it would be more immersive.

Doing the unproduced Young Indy scripts in this manner is an excellent idea. (y)

With a narration at the beginning to set the scene, and a "will Indy escape?" narration at the end, I think they'd be perfect.

Montana Smith said:
With a narration at the beginning to set the scene, and a "will Indy escape?" narration at the end, I think they'd be perfect.

Funny you mention that...there's a bit of evolution going on, (for the next) which you may appreciate. :hat:

Not quite William Dozier though!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Funny you mention that...there's a bit of evolution going on, (for the next) which you may appreciate. :hat:

Not quite William Dozier though!

Cool! I wasn't sure whether Flensburg, 1942 was written specifically for radio, or had been adapted from a story to radio. I know it must be a lot of work producing these sorts of things, and narration saves a lot of time, but when the characters are talking and responding with dialogue to sounds or things occuring around them, radio dramas really come alive, and get your imagination working.

I look forward to hearing the next one!

DoomTown

Montana Smith said:
Cool! I wasn't sure whether Flensburg, 1942 was written specifically for radio, or had been adapted from a story to radio. I know it must be a lot of work producing these sorts of things, and narration saves a lot of time, but when the characters are talking and responding with dialogue to sounds or things occuring around them, radio dramas really come alive, and get your imagination working.

I look forward to hearing the next one!

I originally wrote it as just a short story, then it was decided to make it into a radio show...I think it worked out pretty well.:D

And yes, the intro and outros will be a part of the upcoming shows,voiced by yours truly!

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
Cool! I'd be interested in helping out with writing those if it happens. I've been doing copious research in preparation for writing my own stories, but those take a long time to do by myself. I'd enjoy contributing to this project. PM me if it goes forward.
(y)I'll personally vouch for Phil/Junior Jones since his stuff is extremely well done and he has an intimate knowledge of the series. Both of us have tried to manifest "The Lost Tales" in our own way; Phil with his stories and myself with graphics & posters. Adapting some of the unproduced Young Indy stories is a fantastic idea! If it ever comes to be, I would also love to be involved. (My contributions would be versatile but if there's a call for the voice of Young Belloq, ink me in!)

Apart from a few exceptions, I don't normally go for fan-fiction but if it's structured around a reference from a movie or an abandoned story, then I'm interested. "Flensburg, 1942" went against my vision of what events might have taken place but the production was a CLASS ACT, all around. EXCELLENT stuff! Really looking forward to the next one!

P.S. Just so I have this straight, Doomtown is KVoss/Keith, no?:confused:

Montana Smith

DoomTown said:
I originally wrote it as just a short story, then it was decided to make it into a radio show...I think it worked out pretty well.:D

And yes, the intro and outros will be a part of the upcoming shows,voiced by yours truly!

It worked well, and your upcoming shows will be even better as you'll be tailoring the stories for the radio from the outset.

As Stoo said, the production was a class act. With intros, outros, cliffhangers, and a few more cast members to interact with one another, in order to carry the story forward 'in character', this would become an unmissable part of the Indy Cast. (y)

DoomTown

Stoo said:
:p.S. Just so I have this straight, Doomtown is KVoss/Keith, no?:confused:

Yep that's me :D Thanks for all the support guys!!! Will definitely keep everyone updated with the future of the Radio Dramas!!! Glad to see so many people interested!!!

DoomTown

Stoo said:
(My contributions would be versatile but if there's a call for the voice of Young Belloq, ink me in!):

Well Stoo, this may be your lucky day!!! The first "Young Indy" I would like to do would be the Honduras,1920 episode, as you know, is about Young Indy and Belloq finding the Crystal Skull. I need to hunt down the actual script and start adapting, any suggestions? After listening to your audio question for the Brotherhood this week, I think you would be perfect for Belloq! :hat:

I also just read the interview with Leland Chee, and thought this was funny:

"Could the unproduced Young Indy episodes reappear in another medium?"

Chee:I would think it unlikely.

;)

Montana Smith

DoomTown said:
Well Stoo, this may be your lucky day!!! The first "Young Indy" I would like to do would be the Honduras,1920 episode, as you know, is about Young Indy and Belloq finding the Crystal Skull. I need to hunt down the actual script and start adapting, any suggestions? After listening to your audio question for the Brotherhood this week, I think you would be perfect for Belloq! :hat:

I also just read the interview with Leland Chee, and thought this was funny:

"Could the unproduced Young Indy episodes reappear in another medium?"

Chee:I would think it unlikely.

;)

Just listened to Indy Cast 103, where Stoo showed off his voice acting talents - so Stoo for young Belloq! (y)

The unproduced Belloq/Crystal Skull Episode would be my vote. It would be nice to connect the two with our own sensibilities. Question is, would Belloq be able to fool Indy completely or is Indy jaded enough by then to be suspect. Maybe Belloq's "style" isn't perfected and Indy catches on, but too late...

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
The unproduced Belloq/Crystal Skull Episode would be my vote. It would be nice to connect the two with our own sensibilities. Question is, would Belloq be able to fool Indy completely or is Indy jaded enough by then to be suspect. Maybe Belloq's "style" isn't perfected and Indy catches on, but too late...

When they were students Belloq supposedly stole Indy's research - I can't find the source for that at the moment, so it could be non-canon.

If it is canon, was the Belloq/Crystal Skull episode set after this event? That is, do they have an animosity for each other before the episode begins?

Montana Smith

Montana Smith said:
When they were students Belloq supposedly stole Indy's research - I can't find the source for that at the moment, so it could be non-canon.

If it is canon, was the Belloq/Crystal Skull episode set after this event? That is, do they have an animosity for each other before the episode begins?

I found what I was thinking of here:

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/René_Emile_Belloq

"René[1] Emile Belloq was born in Marseilles, France to a wealthy wine making family at Forteresse Malevil. He grew up admiring France's most acclaimed archaeologists and made it his mission to become one himself by enrolling at the Sorbonne where a fellow student named Indiana Jones was studying linguistics.

In August 1922, the two met at an archaeological dig at Ur in Iraq when Belloq absconded with several artifacts and sold them off, damaging the reputation of Andres Uribe in the process, though the act made Belloq a contact with dealers on the black market. Returning to the university, Belloq came across a paper on stratigraphy by Jones and ? Jones claimed ? plagiarized the work. As a result he was awarded the Archaeological Society Prize.

His accolade and inherited wealth bought him a job at the Louvre in Paris as an assistant curator. He held the position for under a year as he became suspect in the funding of a grave robbing expedition in Persia which led to the deaths of several of the museum's employees and a British archaeologist. Fired, Belloq became a mercenary to whomever could afford him.[2]"

1. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles ? "Honduras, December 1920" (Cancelled)

2. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles ? "Brazil, December 1921" (Cancelled)

So, Honduras was before they were rivals.

Stoo

So, I listened to entire IndyCast yesterday hoping to hear the new radio drama and it wasn't there.:( Guess I was confused.:eek:
DoomTown said:
Montana Smith said:
Just listened to Indy Cast 103, where Stoo showed off his voice acting talents - so Stoo for young Belloq!
Thanks, guys. Heh heh. I was born for the role.;)

2009June03_CairoStooHookah_small.jpg

Keith, as far as tracking down the "Honduras" script goes, good luck! (It might not even exist beyond a brief synopsis.) All we have to go on are Laird's memo sheets and Pablo Hidalgo's article. I dug up some great information on Spinden's various expeditions and managed to figure out which ruins Indy & Co. most likely went to. (Pat read some of this out on my first contribution to the IndyCast but I can pass it along to you and Phil.)
Rocket Surgeon said:
"Honduras" and "Jerusalem" are easily the two most-desired stories but Phil/Junior Jones brought up a very, good point in his Lost Tales thread about tackling either of those:
Junior Jones said:
I haven't decided on my next project yet, but I don't think I want to tackle "Jerusalem" any time soon. I'm a little nervous about introducing Abner, since everyone has their own idea of what he's like. Same for Belloq's introduction in "Honduras". I plan to do them eventually, but not yet. When I do decide what's next, I'll let you know.
While I tend to agree with him, we do know much more about Belloq than Abner. Along with the stuff on Spinden, there is a lot to draw from.
Montana Smith said:
So, Honduras was before they were rivals.
Yes, it's where they first meet. You're preaching to the choir, mate!;) Good to know you're on the case, though. All info is good info...

Stoo said:
So, I listened to entire IndyCast yesterday hoping to hear the new radio drama and it wasn't there.:( Guess I was confused.:eek:

Hey Stoo. Good stuff on the trivia segment this week! And I look forward to hearing you as Belloq!

Keith delivered the finished story for the latest radio drama near the middle of last week. So production is now under way. Ed was lining up voice actors and will be working on putting everything together. I may be assisting with editing as well. Ed did mention that this may end up being released as a stand-alone special edition of the IndyCast, similar to the John Williams tribute a few weeks ago. Stay tuned!

Montana Smith

Stoo said:

Me too. Me confused also. Me often confused.

Stoo said:
Yes, it's where they first meet. You're preaching to the choir, mate!;) Good to know you're on the case, though. All info is good info...

I was seeking help from the choir! Me was confused! Me not so confused now. :hat:

Me glad this choir is not Japanese video game obsessed. ;)