Indiana Jones Radio Drama

Stoo

robisindy said:
We didn't change the name of the country, but changed the year to 1939 rather than 1934. The comic didn't give a specific year.
1939?!?!?! Why?:confused:
robisindy said:
Check, check, and check! I've read the early drafts of the next story, and it should deliver on all 3 of those fronts.
robisindy said:
Thanks for the feedback, Stoo! I'm glad you enjoyed this one, and I think you'll like what's in store for the next installment.
I think I know what the next one is. It's a snowy one and I have something VITAL to add!;) (It's not an aero-sled!:gun:)
DoomTown said:
Thanks a lot Stoo!!! Hard work put into the show by all involved, and had a great time doing it; Glad you enjoyed it, and as Rob already noted, the next one will deliver on all your suggestions. Cheers!
One aspect I really liked was the fact that you didn't fully explain what happened to Clifford (the final panel in the comic is awful:sick:).
indycast said:
Thanks for the feedback Stoo - will look into the volume issues...did you listen with headphones -I think that helps.

Cheers!
Ed, apologies on the sound level but I thought it was a tad too low. I gave it a listen twice. Once with headphones and another without. Maybe I'm going deaf? (Not a joke!:eek:) You guys are doing a nice job and it's only going to get better as the series continues!(y)

DoomTown

Well, the country wasn't called Thailand until June,1939. Since the opening of the comic simply stated "Thailand", I figured 1939 was as good a year as any to set the story. There weren't TOO many details or aspects of Indy's personality included in the story that would have seemed out of place in '39...(and besides, he still looks PRETTY young in the comic...)Hope it didn't detract from your enjoyment of the show! :hat:

Last edited:

DoomTown

Stoo said:
One aspect I really liked was the fact that you didn't fully explain what happened to Clifford (the final panel in the comic is awful:sick:).

I agree Stoo, that final panel IS awful...I thought it would be cooler if Cliffords fate was left a bit more ambiguous, up to the listener to decide his true fate... :dead:

Glad you liked it! :hat:

inky_skin

Congratulations guys, your radio dramas have been pitch-perfect in replicating the serials broadcast in the 30's.

If you ever need someone to voice Mac, Ray Winstone and I hail from the same "manor" ;)

DoomTown

inky_skin said:
Congratulations guys, your radio dramas have been pitch-perfect in replicating the serials broadcast in the 30's.

If you ever need someone to voice Mac, Ray Winstone and I hail from the same "manor" ;)

Thanks Inky! :hat:

emtiem

I had a really quick listen to the beginning of this last night and was really impressed: I'll have a proper listen tonight. You've really nailed the style and the whole production sounds really quite professional!

I think radio suits Indy well: crucially Indy is usually accompanied by a companion, be that jungle guide or screaming girl- that means that he has someone to talk to and to explain what's going on to the listener, which means narration shouldn't have to be used. I listened to the Radio 4 production of Goldfinger recently and sadly Bond is a character who is often alone, which means they had no choice but to include 'Fleming' narrating it.

This series has real potential: I'm a bit of a Dr Who fan and in the 80's a group of fans of Who did a similar thing and made fanfiction audio plays. They got so good, however, that they were eventually awarded the licence to produce and sell their plays as official Dr Who mechandise, and and have now been producing them for over ten years with most of the living stars of the original TV shows and casts including some pretty famous actors as guests. And their company have also moved onto making official Stargate, Highlander, Robin Hood, Dark Shadows and Judge Dredd plays, plus Sherlock Holmes and many more. So this can go places! :D

emtiem

Eek: tried to listen to it in the car on the way into work this morning but the tinny effect added to it (to make it sound old I suppose) made it unlistenable to me: I couldn't hear anyone! Oh well; one to try and listen to in bed, I suppose! :D

indycast

emtiem said:
Eek: tried to listen to it in the car on the way into work this morning but the tinny effect added to it (to make it sound old I suppose) made it unlistenable to me: I couldn't hear anyone! Oh well; one to try and listen to in bed, I suppose! :D

Yes the effect does have it's limitations! We'll have a play with it for the next edition and hopefully tweak it so you can hear the actors!

Cheers

emtiem

It's a cool idea, but maybe you can ditch it? The movies weren't shot in black and white, after all! :)

emtiem said:
It's a cool idea, but maybe you can ditch it? The movies weren't shot in black and white, after all! :)

Thanks for your feedback, emtiem! When it comes to both the use of narration and the filter effect to give the productions the old-time radio feel, there are opinions on both sides.

Personally, I prefer a little narration to help draw the picture rather than the character describing what's going on, which comes off sounding cheesy and forced in most of those old radio shows, in my opinion. But we are trying a story with very reduced narration in one of the upcoming productions, so we'll see how it turns out.

When it comes to the filter, I am pretty sure that with the next story we will be able to get the levels worked out so that everything is easier to hear. That effect really adds an interesting character to the production, and actually brings the voices and some of the sound effects even more to life. Listening back to "Temple of Yearning" both as released and as it was before the filter effect was added, though, it did swallow up some of the details in the fx and dialogue a bit, especially if you don't use headphones to listen to it.

So, we appreciate the constructive feedback and will use it to try and increase the quality of future radio dramas. :hat:

Last edited:

emtiem

Cool; no problems: it certainly has a very definite feel to it and the old time radio style is very well reproduced and suits Indy down to the ground. A little less narration would be about right (no need to say who 'said' what, for example; and often the listener is familiar enough with the genre to work out what's happening), but as you say; narration does suit this for a bit scene setting and the like. The prose is very nicely written, incidentally!
It is possible to not have any narration without sounding cheesy; it's a bit of a dark art, certainly, but if you're new to this (and you may not be judging by the excellent quality!) have a listen to some of the stuff on BBC Radio 7, or even try some of those Doctor Who plays (I think the first episode of most is a pound to download as a teaser here).

Can't wait to hear the next! :D

Stoo

Keith, regarding your comment on page 3 this thread: Lost Treasures UK magazine
DoomTown said:
GREAT STUFF! Thanks Les! Hmmmm, Indy-Cast Radio Drama with these, anyone??? ;)
I think it's a great idea. Flipping through the pages of "Temple of Yearning" while listening to the radio drama was a unique, multimedia experience and the 2 brief tales from the "Lost Treasures" mag are perfectly suited for the same type of treatment.

RobisIndy recently mentioned that the next radio play is nearing completion. How is that coming along?