DaBrode's Indy Tattoo Thread!

DaBrode

Here's the shading completed:

backshaded.jpg

After completion it should look very much like this.

painting.jpg

Comments...compliments...flames...fire away!

[Edited by DaBrode on 02-04-2004 at 10:12 am]

DaBrode

I'm hoping it will be better if not at least as good. This is a very hard piece but the artist truly believes he can make it look like a cave painting as does the original.

DaBrode

Is it?

All depends on how you view and interpret the painting.

Taken for what it is...it's a tattoo of the holy grail and one of the trials involved in attaining it.

Taken from my own perspective it represents a leap of faith and the grail in the painting is anything you may need to leap for. A relationship, a job, a big move, whatever.

This painting is more about Carpe Diem to me. Something I live for as it's really the only thing an Athiest has ahead of him/her. The next big thing. Going to Heaven/Hell isn't in our future and therefore is not a driving force of why to be who we are and do what we do.

Wow...was that more than I needed to say. Sorry. Back to the fact that it's my tattoo.

Pale Horse

Staff member
DaBrode said:
Is it?

Taken from my own perspective it represents a leap of faith and the grail in the painting is anything you may need to leap for. A relationship, a job, a big move, whatever.

This painting is more about Carpe Diem to me. Something I live for as it's really the only thing an Athiest has ahead of him/her.

Back to the fact that it's my tattoo.

This question is asked solely to gain understanding, not to challenge your philosophy:

Why do you need to take a leap of faith? Every day comes, regular as clock work, how do you see that as a leap of faith? I understand how the Grail represents the concept of attainment, but you can lie in bed until death, and one thing I think you'll agree with me on is that tomorrow will always come.

(sorry, I'm not posting to upset you, I am just stumped and want to understand something I don't at this point.)

After that: I think that you should check out some threads about Indy Get togethers in different States. I know there are many that would like to see those in person. Did you ever give credence to the Cross of Coronado on your calf, I suggested in the other "Fertility" thread?

Webley

My left arm is full of tats but not as cool as the ones you have to show us, I was thinking my tattoo days were over but seeing this makes me "jones" for a Jones tat.

[Edited by Webley on 01-23-2004 at 04:46 pm]

DaBrode

Thx for some really high-paid compliments guys!

apalehorse,

"Why do you need to take a leap of faith? Every day comes, regular as clock work, how do you see that as a leap of faith? I understand how the Grail represents the concept of attainment, but you can lie in bed until death, and one thing I think you'll agree with me on is that tomorrow will always come."

The leap of faith is the point of making a decision where the outcome is not foreseeable. The faith would be faith in yourself to make the right decision for YOU. Now one could argue all outcomes are not foreseeable however if you have reason to believe something is going to hold true in the future the leap isn't all that "leapy".

An example in my life right now would be my current relationship. I know I love my girlfriend of 6 years but things are rocky. She lives with me and are finances are mingled at this point. It's marriage without the ring. It is a leap of faith to make what may be a wrong decision and stay with her when I'm unhappy. The reason being is that another girl (that I am not talking to until I can sort my priorities) is very interested in me. This girl interests me greatly too.

Do I take a LEAP at the currently unattainable "Other Woman" and have FAITH that I am making a decision that will not cause regret for having thrown away something I could have worked on and possibly made good again?

OR

Do I take a LEAP at resolving possibly unresolvable conflict in my current relationship and have FAITH the my decision didn't cost me a better woman for me.

These are the decisions that an athiest looks to as leaps of faith in my opinion. Because I have no alternate reality where if I screw up this life I get to prance around in gardens-a-plenty being happy for eternity. This is it. Life.

On the other topic...
Yes I did give thought to the Cross and eventually it will go on. I didn't feel I could make that a grand enough tattoo to warrant it taking up my entire back unless I did a straight up, in a flat perspective. To me that would come off to most people that saw it as though I was an extremely religious person.

I opted for the painting because it's what I believe is a more challenging and praise-worthy piece from a tattoo owners perspective.

I will be getting the Cross on my leg I think but it'll be something I do at a much later date. I feel the Ark, the Hat&Whip and maybe even the Sankara stones somehow configured to look better than 3 rocks will come before the cross. But we'll see.

Remember now,
I gotta leave room for the relics of INdy 4 as well :)

[Edited by DaBrode on 01-23-2004 at 07:24 pm]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, the hat and whip would be great if done right, and based on what you have so far, they probably would be. The Ark might be more of a crap shoot, and well, naturally, the Sankara stones would be too. Though you do need something from Temple, I will say that. The scrap of Sankara cloth would be too similar to the painting that you're getting done now. Perhaps the cargo plane, the Ford tri-motor, would be worth considering. You know, for a different side of the Jones character.

But of course, it's your call completely, and based on what we've seen so far, you'll manage just fine.

DaBrode

Thx Professor,

Temple is a tough movie to come up with thoughts on but here's what I got...

Remains of Muhachi and the diamond
- Nice looking urn, cool colors, could sit the diamond next to it, but looks alot like the Idol unless I do a different perspective.

Sankara Cloth
- You mentioned the likeness to the painting, however this is still one of my most likely candidates. It would be smaller and unlike the painting which will be borderless, I would include the cloth under the picture to make it more like it's an artifact rather than just a picture.

Sankara Stones
- The only good tattoo I can make of these is a tattoo that I don't think I want. If I have a tattoo of the 3 stones in the skull of Kali it would make for a great tatt, but I'm not big on skulls, and "evil" images. Tough to get these in but I'll comes up with something...

Cliffside Portrait of Indy and Mola Ram
- I'd get it on my leg and it wuld be big. It would have the cliff side with the fallen rope bridge and a 6 inch Indy with Mola Ram tugging on the satchel that contains the stones. Possibly Mola Ram will be falling with 2 stones and Indy will be grasping the third. Interesting tattoo, should look great...but not exactly a artifact tattoo. More of a scene in the movie. Doesn't fit my theme.

Anyone have any other thoughts on Temple of Doom tatts please don't hesitate.

DaBrode

UPDATED: Shading included at the top.

So far the cost has been 120+360+tax. Almost $500.00.

Pain factor is much higher at around a 9 of 10. The thin line hurt alot but healed overnight surprisingly.

Shading is on day 2 of healing and is still a bit sore. Like a sunburn kinda.

Next pic should be the 4 knights in full color...

VP says: Here's the next pic:

backcolor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBrode

Fully healed...and scheduled to go in on 2/13 for the coloring of the knights. 2 hour session. $240 plus tax.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Nah, it'd be WAY too hard to look at it. I'd have to find a mirror and then take my shirt off. But, "I'm lovin' it".