Gypsy's Kiss

Finn

Staff member
Re: Dark Women!

monkey said:
Hey Finn,
Very interesting history lesson, and it's definitely not OT. Very much topic progression. I found it to be fascinating. I had actually heard some vague details of the connection of the Finns and their language with that of some of the Eastern European peoples, but nothing specific like you talk about. I know that the Finnish language is quite different from the other Scandinavian languages.
To expand the lesson a bit, let's talk a little longer about the origins of the Finnish language. First of all, Finnish is actually not a Scandinavian language. Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic are. Finnish is a Fenno-Baltic language, bonding the closest relation to Estonian. And when you spoke about Finnish bearing relation to some eastern European languages... well, the only one is Hungarian. Rest of the languages behind the former Iron curtain are almost all members of the Slavic language group.

The bit up there with the Hungarians pretty much clears out the birthstory of Finnish language, but only the spoken part of it. As we know, there are usually two aspects, spoken and written language. This may sound odd, but the origins of spoken and written Finnish are different stories of their own. For a language that is still very much alive, Finnish bears an odd detail tied to it; it did not have a written form before the 15th century. And it did not just become to use, it was actually "invented" by one man (Mikael Agricola, a renowned scholar, plus the Bishop of Finland of his time). So written Finnish is de facto an artificial addition to the language. And what makes it even more odd is not that as one might think, it was not formed after languages with most cultural impact on the Finns, make that Swedish or Russian. Written Finnish was based on <I>Latin</i>. The spelling is exactly the same.

Explains why the Finns don't vocal their letters (and thus why it's a language so damn hard to learn) the same way than the rest of the Western world, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Canyon

monkey said:
.............Canyon, not only do you have pretty dark eyes and lovely, wavy dark hair, but you also have a beautiful complexion to match.

You and Indyologist are both my kind of girls!!!...........................

(Monkey slips into a naughty daydream......) ; )

Awww, Monkey, you old smoothie you! ;)

You are a sweetie!

Indyologist

Finn said:
Well, this is a lengthy explanation, but I guess a little history lesson hurts no one, since this is actually civilizing, and could be counted under "topic progression".....

(Didn't want to re-quote the whole thing)

Of course, there are other theories about the origin of the Hungarian people, but I told you the most commonly supported one. None of these different theories, however, deny the blood bond shared by the Hungarians and the Finns.

Interesting, huh?

That was very interesting indeed, Finn! So I may be related to Finnish people, huh? Curious thought. You seem to be pretty up on your history. Maybe I'll print this out for reference. I'm interested in family history. This is turning out to be an interesting thread!

Quoted by Monkey: "I have the dark hair and eyes, and I tan pretty easily."

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Sounds like you're my kind of girl Indyologist!!

Gee, I've never gotten a compliment from a monkey before... what a sweet thing to say! I'm tan right now, although I'm peeling a bit. Ewwwww!

Finn

Staff member
Indyologist said:
That was very interesting indeed, Finn! So I may be related to Finnish people, huh?
If we go few thousand years back. But that's not exactly the way I'd put it, because after all, if we go back far enough, every people on this rock are related to each other (no matter if your take is the Good Book or Darwin - this is still a fact)...

But let's say that you very probably carry a great amount of same genes than the Finns do.

Indyologist

Finn said:
If we go few thousand years back. But that's not exactly the way I'd put it, because after all, if we go back far enough, every people on this rock are related to each other (no matter if your take is the Good Book or Darwin - this is still a fact)...

But let's say that you very probably carry a great amount of same genes than the Finns do.

To quote Indy in F of A: "Wow-- how awe-inspiring!"

Yes, I agree that deep down we all came from the same original family. I personally agree with what the Bible says, in spite of some of the naughty stuff I post here at Raven. It's too bad that even though we're all fundamentally related at our deepest mitochondrial roots, that we can't get along with other each.

Tennessee R

Just for the record, I just finished Gypsy's Kiss. It was real good.
Also, on the Indiana Quote Game, I quoted it, so check it out.

Good work, Monkey.

Finn

Staff member
The rule of Internet fan fiction:
Write anything lengthy enough (more than fifteen A4 pages), use rather good grammar and people will find you god. Applies in this case too.

If GK was ever published between covers as it is now, I wouldn't pay a dime for it. If you plead for an explanation, see few pages up.

GK was an excellent fanfic, but far from being actual novel material.

monkey

You know Finn, I'm a little tired of your insults to tell you the truth. I've been rather tolerant of them through out this thread and have bit my tongue, but not anymore.

That last post was uncalled for and insulting.

I know it's not the greatest work of fiction ever. I never claimed it to be, I never promoted it, I just wrote it and put it out there. People read it and some of them liked it.

When people wish to compliment me, why do you feel compelled to jump in and insult it.

I'm glad you think it sucks! You've made your point! You don't need to keep repeating it.

Later.

monkey

Lord Ex and IJ, thank you very much for your nice comments. I'm sorry for that last post but I had to get it off my chest.

If you want to know why I'm tired of his insults just read back in this thread.

I'm glad you liked Gypsy's Kiss. Some people wouldn't pay a dime for it, but some liked it. I'm glad you guys liked it.

thanks again,

A

Aussie Jones

Just read gypsy's kiss and thought it was fab. It's great how some people post their stories for free.

Canyon

I make no apologies for this post.

Finn, I've really had enough of your attitude. No sooner are you a moderator again, it seems that you feel that you have some god given right to keep coming out with really sarcastic comments.

I too, have gotten fed up of your critizism of Monkey's story.

I have held back for too long because you are a moderator, but now I feel that enough is enough. I also feel that your last comment was insulting and I think Monkey deserves better than that. He is not only a great writer, but a wonderful person as well.

Finn, I really hope you're proud of yourself in upsetting one of my closest online friends. :(

Monkey, I was absolutely stunned by your latest story. You posssess a gift which so few have. I can read your stories, and I can picture everything in my head in perfect detail, even Indy himself.

I am not just saying this, but I consider you to be one of the greatest writers of Indy fan fiction, and indeed fan fiction that I have ever come across, and I'm not just saying this because of that very nice e-mail that you sent me. I also consider you to be up there with Max McCoy in the writing stakes (I hope you'll consider this a compliment as I consider McCoy's Indy books to be the best Indy stories that I have EVER read!) :)

You're the best, Monkey! :D

Finn

Staff member
Ouch. I'm sorry, Monkey man. I didn't mean to trash GK... I liked it, really (and now I'm ashamed for letting people understand I hated it). It was a great piece, I'm certain you gave it lot of time and devotion (and I sincerely admire that), I was just trying to comment those opinions who say it should be printed... because I can clearly see it's not <i>that</i> far yet (though most of the problems standing on the way are structural, in fact). Most of the people on this are way skilless writers than what you are.

And I guess one of the things that ticks me off is that half of the "feedback" given in the Internet is overly positive (while it should be just "positive") out of sheer politeness. I'm just trying to tell what I think (but obviously failed in that this time, badly).

I'll bend over now so you can kick me.

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
Here's a question for everyone:

If you created something like a painting or a story, would you prefer that people only say that it's "brilliant", "trash", "the best they have ever seen", etc.
or that people say "I don't get this bit", "that could be better", "it's great BUT..."?

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
Not fully Finn. Your intentions were certainly good. But maybe you went a bit blunt in the end?

Finn

Staff member
Perhaps so, I admit (and apologize once more). But my irritation, I guess, arises from people who say "OMG! This is uber-fabulous!" simply because they can't write a squat or have the patience to do such thing...