Red Line: Destination Nepal

Deadlock

Good stuff

I love all the little details. Kudos for working Weber in. :)

This should be compiled and posted as part of the fan fiction area of TheRaider.net, when it's finished.

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
I love all the little details. Kudos for working Weber in. :)

This should be compiled and posted as part of the fan fiction area of TheRaider.net, when it's finished.

Thanks Deadlock, look for my Last Crusade Tie-in in Chapter 5. I'm glad to hear that you like the details because one thing I've been stressing is the decision to skimp on detail in the early parts due to all the dialogue required to support the plotlines and introduce the characters. I assumed readers have some familarity with Hawaii and Pearl Harbor, so I really went light on the detail. Now that I'm on less familiar ground like Midway, I have to spend more time on set-up. One detail that I forgot to add is that the Clipper would have been fumigated on its way into Midway. I meant to add that detail to increase the misery factor of those onboard.

Another portion of Chapter 4:

As if on cue, a porter opened the rear hatch and hoisted a suitcase into the wagon. Gwen turned and rested her chin on the back of the front seat. She smiled when Indiana Jones gave her a wink.

?Is there any chance I misjudged you Mr. Jones,? said Nina as she brushed back a strand of wet hair.

?Never be quick to judge,? responded Indiana Jones.

?Amen to that,? said Lake.

Gwen looked back out of the open wagon. ?No one is looking too happy back in the second car.?

Everyone turned and looked back. Madam Sinn and her party sat in the rear seat ? except for one of her bodyguards who stood further back on the pier in the driving rain watching Sinn?s trunks being off-loaded. Flanked by her companions, Sinn had a distant, far-away look. In the front, Reverend Andrews sat on the passenger looking glum. Lastly, perched in the middle of the front seat sat an agitated sour-faced Richter.

Under his breadth but in a perfect imitation of Richter?s accent Lake said, ?What? Why is everyone looking at me??

Everyone laughed, and the conversation turned to Midway, its facilities and ubiquitous population of albatrosses that further complicated all travel on the island. The Woodies left the pier and headed past the airfield that occupied the majority of the island?s surface. Grieves pointed to a compound sheltered by a thicket of ironwood. ?That?s the Commercial Cable Company station ? at my last count there were fourteen men stationed there.?

?That?s a pretty big crew for such a small island,? said Nora.

?Correct," said Grieves. "But there?s a number of trans-pacific cables that run through Midway. It may not look like much, but Midway?s a true crossroad of the modern world.?

?And if the Orient continues on its present course, there will be need for far more men. . . .? mused Lake.

The car traveled past the one-story frame buildings that housed the Navy and Marine force on the Island and came to the Pan American system hotel. A small struggling lawn somehow sustained itself around the raised one-story V-shaped structure. At the juncture of the two wings, a large, square core room was fronted with a four-column wood portico ? an ornament presumably intended to set the hotel apart from all the Spartan structures on the thinly populated Island. Grieves climbed out of the car and helped Gwen out. ?Everyone go check-in, but do not tarry in your rooms ? dinner is being served.?

Thankful to be off the plane and soothed by the sound of the Pacific surf pounding the reefs beyond the lagoon, Indiana found that he had an appetite. In his room he quickly washed his face and changed his shirt. Out in the hall, he headed toward the sound of the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Grieves stood at the entrance to the dining room. ?Strange news in the wires out of Honolulu.?

?What?s up,? said Indiana Jones.

?The parents of one of the slain kidnappers stepped forward to claim the body -- not only are the parents one of the wealthiest Chinese families in the U.S., but it turns out the boy was actually related to Madam Sinn.?

?Related??

Grieves shook his head. ?Second-cousins or something like that.?

Indy nodded, trying to make sense of it. ?Earlier, you said there were three bodies recovered ? I know there was the guy that got plugged in the grove and the one that got speared in the harbor ? but I figured the guy I left in the harbor was fished out by the police

?The police never found anyone in the harbor. Madam?s Sinn?s bodyguards caught the kidnappers as they cast off from Ford Island. They shot a kidnapper there and the body was found on the pier.?

?Madam Sinn sure has some serious bodyguards,? said Indiana.

?What do you mean?? asked Grieves.

?In the grove when one of kidnappers tried to shoot us down, Sinn?s bodyguards actually closed ranks with me, like a charge.?

?Ex-soldiers??

?Without a doubt,? answered Indiana. ?And here I thought movie-stars only traveled with agents and publicists.?

?Well, her one companion ? Mr. Yang ? is her agent.?

Indy chuckled. ?Some agent.?

?Indeed. Thankfully Sinn will be safe from here on out -- all of our remaining stops are secure military sites.?

Indiana shook his head. ?But a kidnapping in Hawaii by a relative doesn?t make sense . . . .?

Grieves shrugged. ?If there?s one thing my time overseas has taught me is that things are done differently in the Orient. Madam Sinn comes from a wealthy family ? the kidnapping may have been some attempt to settle a family matter, or the plan could have been to smuggle her out of Hawaii on some tramp freighter and then hold her for ransom ? such things are not unheard of in China.?

?That?s all a bit far-fetched. . . . . ?

?. . . but it?s the best I can do standing here tonight,? said Grieves. ?Enjoy your dinner Dr. Jones.?

Indiana headed into the dining room. It was furnished with modern chromium chairs and Formica tables. The Glenn Miller came from a record player in one corner. The room was filled with passengers from the east-bound China Clipper and officers from the air crews. Lake, who was seated with Nora and Reverand Andrews, gestured for Indiana Jones to join their table.

?So Mr. Jones,? asked Nora. ?Do you have any tales of wanton promiscuity for us here tonight on Sand Island??

?No,? said Indy as he took his seat. ?it seems that the only story tonight is the food.?

Last edited:

roundshort

Wow,

Are you a fan of leslie mcFarlane by anychance? The plot and action both flow like a lot of his better (best) stories. Question, when Sinn's compainon said "you lost my gun?" Why didn't Indy say " and I broke a Nail!"

Great job, keep it up! I hope the job search goes well!

roundshort

Hey Joe,
Whats the hold-up? Your fans are waiting the next chapter, don't tell me you have been caught up in the Star Wars movie?

Joe Brody

Chapter 4 (continued -- Dinner)

Leaning over his shoulder Lake boomed, ?Cocktails!?

?Put up a whole row of them!? said Nora.

?Looks like we?re in with a fast crowd,? said Indiana Jones to Reverend Andrews.

?Well what else is there to do in this shack on a sand bar?? asked Lake to no one in particular.

The Reverend raised his water glass in a mock toast to Indiana. ?Good luck to you.?

?Luck has nothing to do with anything,? said Nora as she swiped a glass of champagne off the tray of a fast-moving Chamorros waiter.

?. . . . Honestly,? continued Lake. ?Who can name a better time and place for drink??

?I can,? smiled Nora.

Indiana leaned forward. ?Do tell.?

?Out with it!? bellowed Lake as champagne and appetizers arrived for the the table.

?Growing up in Kalgoorlie. . . . ?

?Kalgoorlie?? interrupted Reverend Andrews.

?An Australian prospecting town,? answered Indiana. ?Very rough and tumble.?

Nora continued, ?. . . .the one thing I learned early on was to make my own luck and enjoy it while it lasted.?

?Excellent. So you?re a girl that knows what?s what,? smiled Lake.

?My Dad either owned hotels and saloons or tended bar in them. Eventually he got caught up in the gold fever and went to try his hand at prospecting. I never saw him again.? As Nina spoke she held Indy?s gaze but glanced over at Reverend Andrews as she finished speaking. Indiana glanced back and forth between the two.

?Prospecting is a fool?s venture,? said Lake. He raised his glass. ?To making your own luck.?

Indy joined the toast. ?. . . .and marking those who do so.?

Reverend Andrews put his elbows up on the table and clasped his hands in front of his chin. ?That?s a little cynical.?

Indiana shrugged, gave a rakish grin to Nora. "Maybe I'm just a pushover for the resourceful types.?

Across the room, an elegantly dressed Madam Sinn and her entourage entered the dining. As she crossed the room, she smiled at Indy. Reverend Andrews cracked his knuckles. "And are you also a pushover for the glamorous types?"

?Not particularly,? answered Indy, but he kept his gaze fixed on Sinn. A Navy flyer -- a flushed junior officer with a big loopy smile ? broke from a group at the bar. He went to Madam Sinn's table and after an initial exchange, he bent low to say something in her ear. Taking issue with the advance, Sinn's bodyguards rose and reached for the flyer.

Indy pulled back fast from the table. "Excuse me."

One of the bodyguards put a hand on the officer's uniform and the flyer jerked free and went toe-to-toe with the bodyguard, stating "Back off, brother."

Indiana cut in front of the flyer. With his palm down Indy gestured to the other bodyguard to stay back. "Easy now. No trouble here."

Indiana turned back to the flyer. "Trust me. You do not want a problem."

Jeers and catcalls erupted from the bar. Indiana sized up the room and tensed himself. The flyer eyed both bodyguards, Madam Sinn and settled on Indy.

"Good thing I've got to report to a new duty station tomorrow."

Indy nodded. "That's smart thinking. I'll buy you a drink." Indy put his arm on the flyer, nodded to Madam Sinn, and turned away from her table. He gestured for the bartender to set up the young officer.

"Bit of a falling out with your friends from last night?" said Nora as Indy took his seat.

"Those guys are not my buddies. I'm afraid that they're quick to anger and quicker to act."

?That Steward you talk to on the plane says that you?re an archaeologist,? said Reverend Andrews. ?What made you take off after those kidnappers last night? You could have been killed.?

Indiana looked hard at the Reverend. He was a strong, broad man in his late thirties. Straight blond hair cut short over cold blue eyes. There was something technical and methodical about the Reverend; better suited as an engineer rather than clergy. Indiana grinned. ?It was night-time on Moku'ume'ume. What else can I say??

"Ha! Enough distractions," said Lake as he threw back yet another drink. "Let's cut to the chase."

Indiana raised his brow as he ate.

"And what chase is that?" asked Reverend Andrews.

"How exactly does a Church go about transferring funds to support its missions abroad?"

Now it was Reverend Andrews turn to stare hard at Lake for several seconds. The room seemed to go quiet.

"Gold coin. Lots of gold coins sewn into my clothing and luggage."

Lake sputtered. "My God. How medieval."

"Not really," said the Reverend. "Gold is universal, liquid and. . . ."

"Heavy, really, really heavy. . . " said Lake.

"A just weight and balance are the Lord's; all the weights of the bag his work," answered the Reverend with a steely edge.

"Proverbs 16:11," said Indiana Jones. Nora sipped her drink and gave Indy a quick wink.

"And who would think to rob a simple Holy man?" asked Reverend Andrews with mock-innocence.

Flustered, Lake stammered.

"Ha!" shouted the Reverend, as he convulsed with laughter. He slapped a heavy hand on the table. "I was just giving you the business."

Lake pulled back, registered the joke and joined in the laughter.

?We use bank letters of credit,? said Reverend Andrews. ?It?s quite secure I can assure you. . . .and the sums are not that great. The Church has no desire to see its servants fall prey to thieves. . . . .?

?Like us,? roared Lake. ?Go on, say it!?

Last edited:

Joe Brody

End of Chapter 4

Again, Andrew?s slapped his hand on the table and continued to laugh so hard that tears ran down his eyes. ?If you say so ? but remember you said it first, not me.?

As the dinner plates were cleared, several couples took to the floor without waiting for dessert. Lake looked over at Sinn?s table. ?You know, Henry, I say at a minimum that starlet owes you a dance.?

?And if not her, then her agent, perhaps,? joked Nora.

Indy cast a rueful eye toward Madam Sinn. ?I would like to see how she is holding up, but her crowd is wound a little too tight tonight.?

"Looks like your dance card is empty soldier." said Nora.

Indy extended his hand. "In that case, do you care to dance?"

"My pleasure," responded Nora as she took to her feet.

Lake called out after the couple, "Is someone making her own luck?"

Nora looked back over her shoulder and gave a little shrug as she followed Indy out to the corner by the record player that passed for the dance floor.

Indy placed one hand on Nora's waist and held her cool, strong fingers with the other. She held his gaze with her incredible blue eyes. Smiling, she said, "I'm impressed you knew Kalgoorlie, ever been?"

Indy shook his head. "No, funny coincidence. Kalgoorlie was just profiled in a large feature on Australia in last month's National Geographic."

"Now that is a coincidence." Nora trailed off with a slight smirk, seeming to lose interest in the discussion. She all-too-casually looked about the room as they danced.

Indy pulled Nora closer, cocked his head to catch her eye. "Why are you on this flight?"

Nora looked Indy dead in the eye. "I'm working. I've got to get something to Manila."

Indy grinned. "That's pretty vague."

"That's the best I can do." Now Nora stepped close to Indy to let the dessert cart past. She looked up at him. "And why are you traveling to the Far East?"

"I'm heading to the Himalayans."

"What's in the Himalayans besides a lot of snow?" asked Nora.

"Someone, something."

Nora laughed. "That's pretty vague too. . . and I bet that's the best you can do, right?"

Indy nodded and Nora pulled away. But she continued to hold Indy's hand. "Catch up with you later?"

Looking hurt, Indy said, "Where you going?"

"I promised Gwen Greives a bed-time game of cards. I'll look you up later, O.K.?" She broke her hold and backed away.

"It'll have to be." Sulking, Indy thrust his hands in this pockets and rejoined the Reverand and Lake.

Indy sat on his bed, waiting in darkness. When Nora failed to return to either the dining room or the main lobby where several guests adjourned for an after-dinner smoke Indy gave in and retired to his room at eleven. For close to an hour he listened as guests shuffled down the hall, doors unlocked, opened and closed, water coursed through the plumbing, and guests whispered and coughed. After a time, the noise subsided, and Indy began to drift off as a light rain pattered on the roof. Then -- with a fit -- Indy jerked awake. He cast out to get his bearings but froze the instant he looked at the door to his room. The shaft of light that passed under the door was broken by a shadow. Someone stood silently outside, not moving. After a full minute the figure moved silently down the hall, away from the lobby.

Indy went to his door and paused ? not hearing any doors opening, he waited long enough for the person to travel to the end of the corridor. Then, with a firm grip, Indy opened the door swiftly and turned into the hall. Empty. Grabbing his fedora, Indy started off in the same direction. As he walked, Indy scanned the rooms on either side for some sign of activity, but all was quiet until he came to the last rooms. There on one side a light with a slight pinkish tint escaped from under a guest room door ? and Indy heard the shuffling of at least two people moving about the room. Then Indy heard something unintelligible in Chinese and the light went out. Indy moved to the screen door at the end of the hall. He looked through the screen for some sign of his quarry. Seeing no movement among the dunes, scaevola bushes and imported eucalyptus, Indy put on his hat and stepped outside.

After being in the stuffy hotel, Indy savored the cool wet ocean air and the soft white sand under foot. As with the rest of the island, nuisance Gooney-birds sat everywhere at random intervals. Dismissing the assorted tracks in the sand that went around either end of the hotel wing, Indy took several steps toward the military buildings -- where he saw a figure cross between two structures.

Keeping his distance, Indy shadowed the figure through the light rain. It was close to one o'clock in the morning and there was no one about. All of the windows to the military buildings were dark, except the occasional naked bulb that burned over a random doorway. Finally, the figure paused at the edge of the compound, near one of the hydroponic greenhouses and then moved to cross the large open span of white sand that gave way to the stand of Ironwoods that protected the cable station. Indy moved up to the greenhouse but froze when he saw something move inside. Quickly, he pressed flush with the mesh-screen side of the structure. Through the screen Indy saw a shadowy figure step up to the far wall, intently watching Indy's quarry.

Indy started to step back away from the greenhouse but took a fierce kick to his side that sent him tumbling through the screen wall into a web of cords and plants. From the front of the greenhouse the Watcher grunted, "What the . . . ?"

Partially blinded by sand, Indy tried to climb to his feet but instead he became tangled in the cords suspended from the ceiling to support the plants. The Watcher grabbed Indy by the collar and yanked Indy to his feet. He then landed a powerful right squarely on Indy's jaw. Again, Indy reeled back into the plants. The Watcher kept after Indy. No sooner than Indy hit the ground than the Watcher let loose with a violent kick into Indy's solar plexus. Then in rapid succession the Watcher repeatedly raised Indy's head and punched him back down to the ground.

Beaten, bleeding and dazed Indy could barely register the Watcher as he leaned close to Indy's face. Again he grabbed Indy by the collar and growled, "I don't know who you are or what your game is but if you want to see the end of this flight you mind your own damn business."

With that the Watcher rabbit-punched Indy in the right side of his head and let Indiana hit the ground unconcious.

A leather-shoed foot thrust under Indy?s shoulder and forcefully flipped him over. Indy?s face first stuck and then tore from the ground. Sick, in pain and blinded by the impossible glare of the morning sun, Indy registered his surroundings. He lay on the ground in the wrecked greenhouse, his face stiff from dried blood and sand. The hot moist air made it hard to breath. Above him stood several silhouettes against the glare.

?How pathetic,? said a figure that Indy recognized as Grieves. Grieves? voice had a hardness that took Indy by surprise.

Lowering his gaze, Indy tried to pull himself up. He failed after a sharp, lancing pain shot through his bruised ? and possibly broken -- ribs. Vainly trying to get up on one elbow, Indy said, ?Someone jumped me.?

?A creditor perhaps?? said Grieves sarcastically as he crouched down close to the baffled Indy.

Grieves went smug. ?Indiana Jones. I thought Pan Am circulated a memo on you back in the States. I checked with New York and sure enough it seems that you possess the single largest open account ? all past due ? in the entire Pan American Airways system. . . . . a bill that exceeds that of several countries.?

Lucien Lake laughed. ?So my friend is quite a character after all.?

?Quite. It looks like our esteemed Indiana Jones got exactly some of what was coming to him,? said Lake.

?I?m glad I found him here,? said Lake. ?Otherwise, I would have missed all the fun again.?

Grieves shook his head with disgust. ?Numerous unpaid tickets, an entire unpaid charter in Peru and the theft of a S-42 Seaplane . . . .?

Finally, Indy succeeded in getting up on one elbow. He pointed at Grieves. ?Hold on now. I can explain the S-42. I sent a cable to the nearest Pan Am airfield telling them where to pick it up?

?True -- but by the time we reached the plane it had been stripped. My best guess is that my engines are propelling air boats on the Amazon.?

Indy slumped back down. ?I?ll get Pan Am its money.?

?Not soon enough for me ? I?m boarding the Clipper. I suggest you find a way to get down to the pier.? Grieves turned and picked his way out of the ruins of the greenhouse. ?And rest assured, I?ll be circulating a new memo calling attention to your 'Henry Jones' alias.?

Chuckling, Lake reached out to help Indy to is feet, "So what is it my friend, 'Henry' or 'Indiana'?

Accepting the assist, Indy grimaced as he took to his feet. A pensive Nora stood nearby with crossed arms and a concerned expression.

Indiana tried to rub away the caked dried blood with the back of his hand. "What do you guess?"

[Finally, the 'Henry Jones' mystery is resolved.]

Last edited:

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Indy a deaadbeat?
Wow, who'd a thunk it!?

I'm just trying the raise the stakes for Indy -- and not to mention increase the level of conflict. I'm no expert on Pan Am's credit policy's in the 1930's but my guess is that if Indiana was able to get credit from the Airline (likely based on his ties to a University), it's conceivably that in the course of one adventure he could rack up some fairly sizeable bills. In my Indy universe the unpaid charter expenses and the theft of the seaplane are references to Indy's exploits immediately prior to his attempt to get the fertility idol. Once Indy got in trouble, I'm assuming a memo would have been circulated to all Pan Am offices warning that Indy was a bad credit. One of my favorite details in Raiders is Indy offering Marcus the trinkets for the ticket to Marrakesh. Travel costs money and that is something that Indy is keenly aware of. . . .so I thought wouldn't it be great to expand on that as a way to show that Indy really is in the hole at the beginning of the film.

roundshort said:
Didn't Uncle Sam buy his ticket?

It's not like Eaton and Musgrove could just issue Indy a Corporate American Express card and wish Indy luck -- so my guess is that they advanced a very modest sum (in cash) for Indy's travel expenses and incidentals (note: the cash offered to Marion). And remember, in Chapter 2 I have Indy state to Greives that Eaton/Musgrove don't know Indy's itinerary.

Last edited:

roundshort

I can buy that, I still wonder why Indy is so secretive about his plans with the U.S. gov.

The leve of Intrigue you have created is very thick, almost like Chandler running us around in circles in L.A. in "The Big Sleep". A reader must look very carefully and pay great attention, lease we miss important clues . . .

Always thought Indy could have moon lighted as a noir style dick.
Keep up the excellent work

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
I can buy that, I still wonder why Indy is so secretive about his plans with the U.S. gov.

In several respects, Raiders is very much a product of its time, the early 1980's. The portrayal of Major Eaton and Colonel Musgrove as a mean-spirited bully and inept bureaucrat (respectively) in Raiders (see my character summaries for each character for more background) coupled with the Government's decision at the end of the film to break the deal with Brody and keep the Ark is reflective of the post-Vietnam/post-Carter sentiment prevelant in the U.S. at the time, specifically that the government was inept and couldn't be trusted. Obvious cinematic contemporaries from roughly the same time include Close Encounters (the best example because of Speilberg's involvment), China Syndrome, First Blood and (to a lesser extent) The Final Countdown. To a great degree, I intend to stay true to that tone in my fiction. I believe that Indy and Marcus have little faith in the Eaton/Musgrove promise that the Museum will get the Ark -- and take steps to counter such an eventuality (this is consistant with Indy's conduct in the films: (i) having Jock at the ready in the beginning of Raiders, and (ii) ripping out key pages from the Grail Diary in Last Crusade. Jones isn't as clueless as he seems). Accordingly, if I ever write myMarcus Brody: Threat to the Union project, it will begin with Marcus travelling to New York to pay a seemingly innocuous call on a wealthy musuem benefactor, a banker, who also happened to be very influential player in getting Roosevelt elected. While in New York, staying at what I'm calling the Union Preservation Club, Marcus will get caught up in his own adventure while Indy is busy trying to take care of business in Nepal and Egypt. . . .

roundshort said:
The level of Intrigue you have created is very thick, almost like Chandler running us around in circles in L.A. in "The Big Sleep". A reader must look very carefully and pay great attention, lease we miss important clues . . .

You nailed me there. You also nailed me on the MacFarlane. At least I didn't slip up and say something like "Indy nosed the Slueth toward the fleeing craft . . . ."

Last edited:

roundshort

Point taken, but I wonder . . .
If the U.S. was so worried about Hitler and the Nazis, why didn't Indy have a gov agent following him. Seems the U.S. was watching Hitlers movments pretty close in '36 (they had to since they dropped the ball earlier). Speakingof 1st Blood, (John J. Rambo (only in this movie) I feel is the closest thing to a hero even close to Indy, did u see the new DVD that has the never before seen alturnate sucide ending? what a great movie!

As far as we know, Indy has never had any dealings with Nazis before (I have not seen the young Indy movies so I don't know if there is anything here), so I am interested in what happens wit the German agent

Joe Brody

[First part of] Chapter 5

Indiana Jones stopped at the greenhouse door. Outside, a small detail of Marines, all with .45 automatic pistols holstered at their sides, stood by at-ease as a tanned Captain and a man in plain clothes conversed with Grieves. An ashen Grieves turned back toward Indiana, ?Unfortunately, no one is leaving Midway anytime soon.?

Indy leaned against the doorframe and pressed his left arm across his chest in a vain attempt to master the pain he felt every time he inhaled. ?If this is about the greenhouse, I?m pretty sure that I can fix the damage . . . .?

The Captain looked Indy over head-to-toe and asked Greives, ?Holy Hell, what happened to him??

?This is a Manila bound passenger ? Henry-Indiana-Jones ? I found him . . . He claims to have been jumped here last night?

The man in plain clothes took a step forward. ?Henry Jones was the only Pan Am passenger that received a cable yesterday.?

The Captain nodded, took a long drag on his cigarette as he eyed the batted Indy. ?Don?t try and tell me that one of my boys did that to you.?

Indy shook his head. ?I did not see my attackers, but I?m sure they weren?t Marines.?

?Why do you say that??

?Because the guy that beat the tar out of me told me to mind my business for the rest of the flight.?

The Captain took another long drag. ?But you say you didn?t see the guy??

Indy nodded. ?That?s right. I got kicked from behind through the wall here and got sand in my eyes. What is this all about??

?In a second,? the Captain said as he flicked the butt far off into the sand. ?What were you doing out here last night anyway??

Indy glanced over at Nora. ?Someone was at my door last night but never knocked. I followed him here.?

?And he attacked you here?? asked Greives.

?No.? Indy gestured toward the cable station. ?He kept going out toward those ironwoods.?

Both the Captain and the civilian exchanged glances. The Captain asked, ?You can identify the person you saw walking toward the cable station??

Again Indy shook his head. ?No he was well ahead of me the whole time ? and it was raining. I just know it was a man.?

Nora stepped forward. ?Enough already ? what has happened??

The Captain lit another cigarette. ?Last night the cable station?s entire night crew ? four men ? were murdered.?

Without missing a beat Indy locked eyes with the Captain. ?How were they killed??

The Captain looked over Indy and the other passengers. ?Hell, I guess it doesn?t matter to tell you ? it?s too crazy actually. Two men were garroted, one had his throat slit and one man was stabbed to death.?

?My God,? said Grieves.

?Was the station damaged?? continued Indy.

The civilian shook his head. ?Everything is fine. We?re fully operational.?

?What does this mean for Clipper passengers?? asked Grieves.

?All passengers will be questioned, and then we?ll just have to take it from there.? The Captain turned back to his men. ?Take these passengers back to the hotel. We?ll question everyone there individually.?

Grieves started after the officer. ?You don?t mean you intend to hold up two Clippers. .. . .??

The Captain kept smoking and kept walking. ?I?ll do what I have to do to figure this out, understood??

?Understood,? said Lake.

roundshort

Man, this is full blown mystery! Who killed Owen type stuff? "You mean to tell me you left an unconscience body in a car . . ."

keep it up

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Man, this is full blown mystery! Who killed Owen type stuff? "You mean to tell me you left an unconscience body in a car . . ."

keep it up

What??? No critique of the Captain?

roundshort

Are you sure he is a Marine Cappy? I am not sure Marines even know what garroted means. Is he MP? I woudl let him use a little more adult language, remeber ToD was PG13. He seems a little wishy-washy, Lets toughen him up, but I am sure he and Indy will be buds!

Joe Brody

Midway wasn't big enough in '36 to support a MP unit. I've got the Captain pegged as the EO for the unit on the Island. I thought about stronger language but held back.

roundshort

You know I love the idea of Indy teaming up with the jarheads, have to be careful they might make Indy look bad!

hoo-rah!