Raiders: The Adaptation Screenings

Stoo

Joe Brody said:
Anyone know the status of the Paramount project?
Good question, Joe. A script draught was written in May 2007 but, other than that, who knows?:confused: I hope it gets made but am not crossing my fingers.

Stoo

It's been uploaded to YouTube:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Adaptation (Full Movie)

Published on Dec 23, 2012
Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation is a 1989 American fan film, made as a shot-for-shot remake of the 1981 Indiana Jones adventure film Raiders of the Lost Ark. Using the original film's screenplay and score, it principally starred and was filmed, directed and produced over a seven-year period by three Mississippi teenagers (Chris Strompolos, Eric Zala, and Jayson Lamb).

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
It's been uploaded to YouTube:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Adaptation (Full Movie)

Published on Dec 23, 2012
Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation is a 1989 American fan film, made as a shot-for-shot remake of the 1981 Indiana Jones adventure film Raiders of the Lost Ark. Using the original film's screenplay and score, it principally starred and was filmed, directed and produced over a seven-year period by three Mississippi teenagers (Chris Strompolos, Eric Zala, and Jayson Lamb).
Gone Baby, Gone...

russds

Negative here too.

"This video contains content from Warner Chappell and UMG, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Sorry about that."

:(

Stoo

Really? That's too bad.:( Over here in The Switz, it's working and I'm downloading it right now. Going to watch it later tonight.

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
Over here in The Switz, it's working and I'm downloading it right now. Going to watch it later tonight.

This is you: :cool:

This is everyone chasing you: :mad: :( :gun: :gun: :gun: :dead: :whip: :whip: :whip: :mad:

IT'S NOT FAIR!!! (n) (n) (n)

Well, at least looking forward to hearing your comments. Might be the closest many of us ever get to seeing it! (So type slowly, and with feelin'.)

Henry W Jones

I own it and have not watched the whole thing. The copy I have has horrible audio and is very dark in low lit scenes. It is amusing and it is entertaining but the quality makes it a hard viewing. Maybe it's my copy. Very clever for some kids though.

col.dietrich

Just watched it, it's great! Kinda makes me want to make fan films again...
Obviously there are fan films which are 'technically' better, but this is one is vastly superior in the effort, heart, and evoking that Indiana Jones feeling. It surpasses other, in my opinion, sterile fan-films such as The Spear of Destiny, which arrogantly boasts to be the 'Greatest Indy Fan Film of all time'. 'Raiders: The Adaptation' actually seems like a fan film, not just an imitation. It was clearly made with passion and never-ending enthusiasm, it was a great watch.

russds

Stoo said:
Really? That's too bad.:( Over here in The Switz, it's working and I'm downloading it right now. Going to watch it later tonight.

Any chance you could put it somewhere we USers could see it? I've always wanted to see it.

Stoo

goodeknight said:
IT'S NOT FAIR!!! (n) (n) (n)

Well, at least looking forward to hearing your comments. Might be the closest many of us ever get to seeing it! (So type slowly, and with feelin'.)
No, it certainly is not fair. Since it's a copyright issue, the video should be blocked in every country (which is pretty ridiculous considering there are TONNES of YouTube videos that use the Indy music). Let me see if Rapidshare or something similar can handle the file size. In the highest-res, the Flash file is 750MB and the converted WMV file is a big 3GB (but I think you have a Mac which might not be able to play them).

A review is coming but I want to make some accompanying screengrabs (and, yes, the review will be passionate). All I'll say right now is that "The Adaptation" ROCKS!(y)
Henry W Jones said:
I own it and have not watched the whole thing. The copy I have has horrible audio and is very dark in low lit scenes. It is amusing and it is entertaining but the quality makes it a hard viewing. Maybe it's my copy. Very clever for some kids though.
How did you get a copy, Dubya? For those who are able to watch it on YouTube, be sure to choose the highest resolution and listen with headphones.
col.dietrich said:
Just watched it, it's great!
Agreed and...Welcome back, col.dietrich!:hat:

P.S. @russds: Yes, I'm going to try. They aren't allowed to make money on it so I don't think there is any problem with sharing amongst ourselves.

P.P.S. Has it been blocked in Canada, Mexico and South America, too?

P.P.P.S. Found another upload from Jan. 2012. Try this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBlim3TNJcg

Last edited:

Stoo

Chris Strompolos mentions TheRaider.net

How nice is this?

Interviewer: "Is there any place where people can keep up with you both online?"

Chris Strompolos: "We don't really have a central...I mean, there's a...the main place where we post our screenings and where there's information about our movie and where you can e-mail us is a place called TheRaider.net...um...and it's just that, TheRaider.net and it's, it's kind of an Indiana Jones fan portal...um...and our movie is included and, um, they post...they post our screening dates there..."

@36:31 of this video from 24 Feb. 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ntloakLw-A

AdaptationInterview_small_zpsa4079016.jpg

Stoo

Yes, the photo of them with Spielberg is cool but even cooler is the talk about the 'Indy bloopers' reel. I already knew that Spielberg showed it to them but it's nice to hear the guys mention it. If anyone deserves to see it, they certainly do.

Stoo

A Remarkable Achievement

A Remarkable Achievement...

WOW!:eek:

Quite simply, I was AWESTRUCK by this work of fandom. The opening in the Chachapoyan temple is done extremely well for a homemade film but during the college scenes, I began to feel that I wouldn't be able to watch this all in one sitting. However, I chose to stick with it and things only get better from there. Being quickly absorbed into each unfolding sequence, it kept me wondering how the makers were going to pull off the rest and they managed to do them ALL (minus the Flying Wing scene but that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things) and they were executed much better than anticipated.

This thing is a true marvel to behold, not just for its replication of the shots but more for the sheer ambitiousness of the entire project. Plenty of different locations & sets are used with a great job done in matching the costumes and there are plenty of extras to flesh out the busier scenes, such as the Cairo market. There is even a real SUBMARINE! By all means, this is not a typical 'backyard production'.

It has real snakes, real mice (for the rats) with Chris Strompolos' dog, Snickers, as the monkey (who even gives a Nazi salute, which, I surmise was done by pulling his paw upwards with a practically invisible fishing cord). Best of all, are the effects: Fire, smoke, blowing snow, ricochet sparks, spurting & dripping blood, burning Ark crate, superimposed Ark ghosts, a melted head + more! Two of the teens were even LIT ON FIRE! Plenty of details are paid attention to, such as the LIFE magazine, Marion drinking from the spilled booze, the wind chimes at the Imam's place, the Mercedes Diesel logo behind the grille of the truck, etc.

One might ask how they did the truck chase. Amazingly, they pulled it off as best as anyone could with no budget and it did not disappoint! Even more amazing is that the truck didn't even have an engine! A convertible/cabriolet Volkswagen Beetle stood in for the staff car. Top full marks for that scene, especially the shots of Indy hanging on to the grille and dragging behind the truck.

Believe it or not, Indy & Sallah lifting up the Ark actually gave me goosebumps and the scene hasn't done that to me since the opening weekend in 1981. There are too many standout moments to choose from but the most impressive were those with the Ark ghosts! (I'd post images but don't want to spoil that part.)

True to form, "The Adaptation" has its own unique twists because minor pieces of dialogue were changed to match its version of events. For examples: "There's a big snake in the boat, Jock!" along with an exchange between Indy & Sallah about Marion's whereabouts after escaping the Well of Souls (Angela Rodriguez was obviously not available at one point so an explanation for her absence was necessary).

It would a be blast to meet with Chris, Eric & Jayson to ask them all sorts of questions. I'm so happy for them that their hard work eventually surfaced for the public (& Spielberg, himself) to see. What an incredible feat & reward they achieved.

This fan-work is phenomenal and rightly worth being included amongst TheRaider.net's list of films, as it already is. Without a doubt, it's definitely a MUST-SEE for any fans of Indiana Jones.

To all involved, BRAVO!:hat:

Rating: A+ / 5 stars / 10 out of 10 / 2 thumbs up!(y)(y)

Stoo

Yeah, using the dog was a nice solution and way cool because I love dogs. So here's to Snickers and may he Rest In Peace! Apparently, he died in 1988:( (a time when Indiana Jones was the farthest thing from my mind...but these guys kept at it).

Stoo

Henry W Jones said:
Hey, Henry W. This coming Saturday is your chance to see the original on a big screen (and meet the guys who made it).

Courtesy of Rocket Surgeon in his "Raiders Temple Crusade Showtimes" thread:
Rocket Surgeon said:
Double Feature: Raiders of the Lost Ark and Raiders: The Adaptation
Special guests Eric Zala and Chris Strompolos in person.

March 2, 2013
7:00pm

SIFF Cinema at the Uptown
511 Queen Anne Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
(206)324-9996

russds

Stoo said:
Yes, the photo of them with Spielberg is cool but even cooler is the talk about the 'Indy bloopers' reel. I already knew that Spielberg showed it to them but it's nice to hear the guys mention it. If anyone deserves to see it, they certainly do.

Yes, that was awesome too. you could see their eyes light up just talking about seeing the blooper reel. Ahh, what a treat that must have been.

Man I would love to see it, your review is great. One question: is the original score used? I've always been curious how they did that, assuming the shots couldn't exactly sync with the score, i'm assuming they couldn't just dub in the score to their shots. So was it kind of sliced together artfully, did it work? What about the scenes where the music wasn't available on the cassette soundtrack at that time, could you hear dialog from the original film, as if they recorded what they could of the score from the actual film, and used that? (sorry, sort of a score nerd so I've been very curious how they did that)