Indiana Jones & The Curse of the Chinese Whisperer

moondrifter

excellent!! i'll get on to flo to tell her to post what we came up with. it's a general background of the myth of the dragon dog that we came up with

BrodyIsDead

Any further forward?

moondrifter said:
excellent!! i'll get on to flo to tell her to post what we came up with. it's a general background of the myth of the dragon dog that we came up with

Hi, guys,

you two came up with anything yet? This thread may close soon if we're not careful!

:whip:

BrodyIsDead

Good luck!

Nice to hear from you again Moondrifter - will look forward to the post - and best of British for the maths test! Ace it!

;)

moondrifter

thanks lol. with that encouragement from a fellow and somewhat rare, british indyfan, i'm sure i aced it!. shall post it in half an hour.................after neighbours ;)

BrodyIsDead

Nice one...

Heh! Will post a reply/continuation tomorrow probably cos I leave work soon - how's Paul Robinson and his peg leg doing? Has his daughter come into it yet?!

:p

Anyway, back to Indy - take it away, maestro... :cool:

moondrifter

paul's daughter comes in 2 weeks.

ok............so basically the history of this dog 'Neves'.....he has had 7 owners in 7 countries. the key word/number is 7 if you hadn't guessed! the first owner was this chinese man at the pottery stall and he whispered the curse into the dog's ear. This is why the dog attacks the right side of it's owners and why it has been passed on as unwanted. It is the dog that attacks indy's face and this is how he loses the eye. the task is to work out how the dog gets to indy!

BrodyIsDead

moondrifter said:
paul's daughter comes in 2 weeks.

ok............so basically the history of this dog 'Neves'.....he has had 7 owners in 7 countries. the key word/number is 7 if you hadn't guessed! the first owner was this chinese man at the pottery stall and he whispered the curse into the dog's ear. This is why the dog attacks the right side of it's owners and why it has been passed on as unwanted. It is the dog that attacks indy's face and this is how he loses the eye. the task is to work out how the dog gets to indy!

Hmm... Moondrifter, this has me stumped at the moment - hopefully this thread won't be deleted just yet so we can have more time to let the story evolve... :confused:

If not, we fought the good fight and made a valiant effort - it's just a shame more people didn't get involved (whinge, whinge) - all it needed was everyone on these boards to contribute even, merely, just, at least, one line to the story (no matter how bizarre and daft) for the tale to move forward... :(

Ah, well... :p

moondrifter

When you get 100 posts you can choose an avatar. If you want this story to take off with the rest of the community here on the Raven, you may want to start it on another forum but i'm not sure if that's encouraged. You may need to consult the mods;)

BrodyIsDead

Just to remind everyone, here's what's been done so far all joined on - and I've added a new sentence - feel free to add another or even a new paragraph, page or chapter to move the story along to new and unknown forks in the road for Indy...

Indiana Jones & The Curse of the Chinese Whisperer
(A Raven Forum Collaboration Story)

The sculpted mud tower stood tall on the tabletop as its maker, a wizened Chinese trinket seller stunned the gathered crowd with his pottery skills. His brown, wet hands smoothed out the clay for another minute until he finally stop peddling his table wheel and picked up a small brass cup, shaking it for the crowd to show their appreciation.

Some people threw in their pocket change but others quickly walked away, rejoining the path along the Great Wall which sprawled out to the left and right for miles. As the old potter was left shaking his head at his measly takings, a shadow of a much larger figure towered above him and his scultpure.

The shadow's owner began to speak in broken Mandarin but it was obvious from his lack of a local accent that he was American.

"I speak English, stranger" whispered the old Chinaman. "You can stop trying to impress me with your phrasebook language."

Indiana Jones took off his battered fedora and stepped closer to the potter's table. He leant close to the old man and whispered what he'd come all this way to say so that no-one else could hear him...

"I...um.....er..." He took a step back and looked around for a moment. Nobody was really paying any attention but Indy felt that checking anyway was a habit he'd picked up on his adventures.

"Have you heard of the Chinese Lung- Kou? That WAS what you were about to ask me, wasn't it?" The potter grinned, revealing three white teeth from less than a full set that also included several that were black and green. He cackled slightly.

"But... how...?" Indiana Jones gasped.

"I know a many great things, Dr Jones. Including why you're so interested in the late Emperor's Dragon Dog statues. And I can assure you, they may be considered a myth nowadays but when I was a boy servant at the palace, I saw them with my own eyes."

Before Indy had a chance to ask any more questions, there was the sound of police whistles in every direction. Gunshots were fired in the air and the crowded pathways of the Great Wall were suddenly cleared as tourists and locals alike ran for cover.

The old man rose quickly from his cushion on the ground and turned his back on the dust-ridden archaeologist.

"Hey, old-timer, do you know...?" Was all Indy could say before the withered potter stepped up onto the turretted stone of the Great Wall and jumped off.

A woman to Indy's left screamed and at least a dozen Chinese policemen crowded around Indy, brandishing handcuffs and shouting in a dialect he didn't understand...

Last edited:

intergamer

Projects like this are best done in wikipedia format, so everybody can edit everything and track changes, divide it up into sections and so forth. Meanwhile discussion outside the story itself could take place on a talk page. (Just a note, I don't have time to write things either way ;-/)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
My addition to the story so far..

Indy ran as the police gave chase. Gunshots richoeted off the exteriors of buildings. Indy made a turn into a darkalley beside a market stall selling peking ducks. The police stop in their tracks. Indy hiding behind a trash can, peered over, looking for a new direction to hide. The police in their strange dialect, angrily ask civilians on the street. The police separate in search of the American. Indy started to back up until...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Ok fine... No one has to answer to me anymore. How can you expect me to try if you won't even give me an opinion. Sometimes I wonder why I bother:(

moondrifter

Be patient, inspiration comes with time, and when we get it, we'll post it!:) We don't want to add a sentence just for the sake of it do we?

BrodyIsDead

Keep going! Keep going!

Violet Indy said:
Ok fine... No one has to answer to me anymore. How can you expect me to try if you won't even give me an opinion. Sometimes I wonder why I bother:(

This was a great additional paragraph, Violet Indy - lots of action and suspense building up :D

Wasn't really intending this thread to get feedback each time someone posted, rather that we should just keep adding and adding new sentences of the story to move the narrative along...

Anyway, good to have you on board and please add more when you feel like it! :whip:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Sorry.... Was having a bad day. Anyhow where was I?

Indy started to back up until... he backed into a figure behind him. Turning around in a flash, with revolver at hand, he found himself face to face with a woman he hadn't seen for a long time. Despite the time that had passed since seeing each other and ageing that had taken place for both... They both knew who the other was. This was probably the last place either would expect to see each other for both were still and silent, not knowing what to say. The police broke up into small search parties and far from the alleyway where Indy and.....

(If any knows me well enough they know who this woman is going to be...)

The police broke up into small search parties and far from the alleyway where Indy and Marion were slouched hidden behind the trash cans. As soon as the streets returned to the normal hustle and bustle, Indy was about to say something to Marion but she beat him to it.
"What in hell are you doing here Jones?" she said sounding rather distressed.
"Well, so much for a nice hello and how are you and haven't seen you in a while. Then again, you were never much for friendly hellos."

BrodyIsDead

"There'll be time for that later, doll." Indy grinned. The scar on his chin tightened.
"We're not in our 20s any more, 'Doctor' Jones - I haven't been called that in a long time."
Indy looked Marion over. Just how long had it been since he'd seen his old flame? There was the time they bumped into one another at Marcus's funeral but that was almost 15 years ago and each had sworn never to speak of the events that followed that meeting. Indy realised he was staring at Marion like a love-struck teenager.
"Listen, Jones. It's good to see you, too." Marion put her hand up to Indy's face and stroked his grey beard. "But those policemen aren't getting any farther away and we can explain things later. For now follow me."
Marion tugged at Indy's ear and led him through a small door, half the size of the two of them, which she knocked on in a short sequence of taps. Inside was complete darkness.
"Marion, what are we - ?"
But Marion interrupted speaking quickly in perfect Mandarin.
Four torches were suddenly lit from each corner of the room and Indy gasped at who he saw standing in front of him...