Indiana Jones & The Curse of the Chinese Whisperer

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Again if anyone knows me, they'll know where this is going

In front of Indy, was a man of whom he thought was dead. A man he would have thought with all this time passing would be dead from old age anyway. As if reading his thoughts, the man spoke.
"Yes, it is me, Indiana. Time has changed you and you've grown to be a great success. Much better than I expected. This time we will truly put you to the test."
A bewildered Indy takes a moment to respond.
"But, Abner. This is impossible. Marion said that you were dead. And it's 1964, you should be dead."
Indy turned to Marion.
"Your sense of humour really has spiralled downwards, Marion. If this some kind of sick joke then call it off."
Marion looked at Indy with an intensely serious air and answered.
"This isn't a joke. Indy, there's something about us Ravenwoods that you don't know. I lied to you about Dad being dead. But, there's something else to it."
Indy still puzzled asks, "What?"

BrodyIsDead

This is all coming along VERY nicely!

Violet Indy said:
In front of Indy, was a man of whom he thought was dead. A man he would have thought with all this time passing would be dead from old age anyway. As if reading his thoughts, the man spoke.
"Yes, it is me, Indiana. Time has changed you and you've grown to be a great success. Much better than I expected. This time we will truly put you to the test."
"But, Abner. This is impossible. Marion said that you were dead. And it's 1964, you should be dead."
Indy turned to Marion.
"Your sense of humour really has spiralled downwards, Marion. If this some kind of sick joke then call it off."
"This isn't a joke. Indy, there's something about us Ravenwoods that you don't know. I lied to you about Dad being dead. But, there's something else to it."

Father and daughter stood silent as the torch flames flickered in the dark cavern.

"Abner..." Indy took off his fedora and sighed, putting out a hand to shake with his old mentor. "Marion, laughed that we're not in our 20s any more, so I'm guessing the Ravenwood family secret isn't that you're all immortals."

The older archaeologist smiled but said nothing. Marion came and stood alongside her father and put her hand on top of Indy's and Abner's who were still locked in mutual relief at seeing one another after so much time.

"Immortal isn't quite the word to describe it, Jones." said Marion. "It's more..."

But she never got to finish the sentence - suddenly the small door through which they'd entered cracked in multiple places as if somone on the other side had a medieval battering ram running at it.

"The police!" shouted Indy.

"No." said Abner. "The police would be a dream come true. I'm afraid it's something far beyond your wildest nightmares..."

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
"I don't know. I'm just making this up as I go..."

People garbed in black robes stormed into the room heavily outnumbering Indy and the two Ravenwoods. The black robes encircled the three.
What's this supposed to be? Indy thought. The circle of death, maybe? All sorts of weapons from AK-47s to machetes to crossbows. A sea of black robes parted in front of the three. A man in black garb came towards them. He took off his hood, revealing a man around Abner's age. On his chest was a crest of a dragon combined with the Eye of Horus. The man spoke.
"Nice to see you again Abner. Did you really think that you could leave our society and get away unscathed? And especially thinking, that faking your own death by an avalanche would keep us away from you and your daughter." Abner just glared. Marion and Indy followed suit. The old man turned to Indy.
"Ah, yes. I know you. Indiana Jones, the renowned and unorthodox archaeologist. Only Abner would have trained someone like you."

BrodyIsDead

The story so far all edited together (plus Moondrifter/Flossie Sequin's idea quoted)

:cool:
moondrifter said:
ok............so basically the history of this dog 'Neves'.....he has had 7 owners in 7 countries. the key word/number is 7 if you hadn't guessed! the first owner was this chinese man at the pottery stall and he whispered the curse into the dog's ear. This is why the dog attacks the right side of it's owners and why it has been passed on as unwanted. It is the dog that attacks indy's face and this is how he loses the eye. the task is to work out how the dog gets to indy!

and for all you people who dont know the Chinese Lung- Kou is,its a rare chinese dog, and Lung- Kou translates to dragon dog

Indiana Jones & The Curse of the Chinese Whisperer :eek:
(A Raven Forum Collaboration Story)

The sculpted mud tower stood tall on the tabletop as its maker, a wizened Chinese trinket seller stunned the gathered crowd with his pottery skills. His brown, wet hands smoothed out the clay for another minute until he finally stop peddling his table wheel and picked up a small brass cup, shaking it for the crowd to show their appreciation.

Some people threw in their pocket change but others quickly walked away, rejoining the path along the Great Wall which sprawled out to the left and right for miles. As the old potter was left shaking his head at his measly takings, a shadow of a much larger figure towered above him and his scultpure.

The shadow's owner began to speak in broken Mandarin but it was obvious from his lack of a local accent that he was American.

"I speak English, stranger" whispered the old Chinaman. "You can stop trying to impress me with your phrasebook language."

Indiana Jones took off his battered fedora and stepped closer to the potter's table. He leant close to the old man and whispered what he'd come all this way to say so that no-one else could hear him...

"I...um.....er..." He took a step back and looked around for a moment. Nobody was really paying any attention but Indy felt that checking anyway was a habit he'd picked up on his adventures.

"Have you heard of the Chinese Lung- Kou? That WAS what you were about to ask me, wasn't it?" The potter grinned, revealing three white teeth from less than a full set that also included several that were black and green. He cackled slightly.

"But... how...?" Indiana Jones gasped.

"I know a many great things, Dr Jones. Including why you're so interested in the late Emperor's Dragon Dog statues. And I can assure you, they may be considered a myth nowadays but when I was a boy servant at the palace, I saw them with my own eyes."

Before Indy had a chance to ask any more questions, there was the sound of police whistles in every direction. Gunshots were fired in the air and the crowded pathways of the Great Wall were suddenly cleared as tourists and locals alike ran for cover.

The old man rose quickly from his cushion on the ground and turned his back on the dust-ridden archaeologist.

"Hey, old-timer, do you know...?" Was all Indy could say before the withered potter stepped up onto the turretted stone of the Great Wall and jumped off.

A woman to Indy's left screamed and at least a dozen Chinese policemen crowded around Indy, brandishing handcuffs and shouting in a dialect he didn't understand...

Indy ran as the police gave chase. Gunshots richoeted off the exteriors of buildings. Indy made a turn into a darkalley beside a market stall selling peking ducks. The police stop in their tracks. Indy hiding behind a trash can, peered over, looking for a new direction to hide. The police in their strange dialect, angrily ask civilians on the street. The police separate in search of the American. Indy started to back up until...

he backed into a figure behind him. Turning around in a flash, with revolver at hand, he found himself face to face with a woman he hadn't seen for a long time. Despite the time that had passed since seeing each other and ageing that had taken place for both... They both knew who the other was. This was probably the last place either would expect to see each other for both were still and silent, not knowing what to say.

The police broke up into small search parties and far from the alleyway where Indy and Marion were slouched hidden behind the trash cans. As soon as the streets returned to the normal hustle and bustle, Indy was about to say something to Marion but she beat him to it.

"What in hell are you doing here Jones?" she said sounding rather distressed.

"Well, so much for a nice hello and how are you and haven't seen you in a while. Then again, you were never much for friendly hellos."

"There'll be time for that later, doll." Indy grinned. The scar on his chin tightened.

"We're not in our 20s any more, 'Doctor' Jones - I haven't been called that in a long time."
Indy looked Marion over. Just how long had it been since he'd seen his old flame? There was the time they bumped into one another at Marcus's funeral but that was almost 15 years ago and each had sworn never to speak of the events that followed that meeting. Indy realised he was staring at Marion like a love-struck teenager.

"Listen, Jones. It's good to see you, too." Marion put her hand up to Indy's face and stroked his grey beard. "But those policemen aren't getting any farther away and we can explain things later. For now follow me."

Marion tugged at Indy's ear and led him through a small door, half the size of the two of them, which she knocked on in a short sequence of taps. Inside was complete darkness.

"Marion, what are we - ?"

But Marion interrupted speaking quickly in perfect Mandarin. Four torches were suddenly lit from each corner of the room and Indy gasped at who he saw standing in front of him...

Indy turned to Marion.

Father and daughter stood silent as the torch flames flickered in the dark cavern.

"Abner..." Indy took off his fedora and sighed, putting out a hand to shake with his old mentor. "Marion, laughed that we're not in our 20s any more, so I'm guessing the Ravenwood family secret isn't that you're all immortals."

The older archaeologist smiled but said nothing. Marion came and stood alongside her father and put her hand on top of Indy's and Abner's who were still locked in mutual relief at seeing one another after so much time.

"Immortal isn't quite the word to describe it, Jones." said Marion. "It's more..."

But she never got to finish the sentence - suddenly the small door through which they'd entered cracked in multiple places as if somone on the other side had a medieval battering ram running at it.

"The police!" shouted Indy.

"No." said Abner. "The police would be a dream come true. I'm afraid it's something far beyond your wildest nightmares..."

People garbed in black robes stormed into the room heavily outnumbering Indy and the two Ravenwoods. The black robes encircled the three.

What's this supposed to be? Indy thought. The circle of death, maybe? All sorts of weapons from AK-47s to machetes to crossbows. A sea of black robes parted in front of the three. A man in black garb came towards them. He took off his hood, revealing a man around Abner's age. On his chest was a crest of a dragon combined with the Eye of Horus.

The man spoke. "Nice to see you again Abner. Did you really think that you could leave our society and get away unscathed? And especially thinking, that faking your own death by an avalanche would keep us away from you and your daughter."

Abner just glared. Marion and Indy followed suit. The old man turned to Indy.

"Ah, yes. I know you. Indiana Jones, the renowned and unorthodox archaeologist. Only Abner would have trained someone like you."

:whip:

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
"Well this just keeps getting better and better"

Indy looked at the old man in front of him. After a moment, Indy asked, "Who are you?" The old man just grinned like the face of the Grim Reaper.
"Dr. Jones, I am a leader of a little known society which runs throughout the world. The first of this society were called the Eye of Horus and continued to spread into different sects around the world, keeping the treasures of the past in hands that can handle them. Only those whose ancestors were part of the original group are kept in this society. They must choose and train a successor by blood or by the prophecy. Your friend Abner here knows all about that, don't you Abner?"
Abner finally spoke."This is no need to concern Jones here. Let him go. He won't talk about this. This is between you and me, David."

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
"Nonsense, Abner. This concerns both your daughter and him. Afterall, he did fulfill the prophecy and on top of that, you have offspring. I have waited patiently as have my colleagues and you must name your successor," David replied.
Abner face creased with worry looked at both his daughter and his protege. Obviously, there seemed to be no way out.
"Or what if I don't, David? You just going to order your men to kill us? You know that it's against our laws. It will bring an end to your sect, The Eye of Lung- Kou and the inevitable fall of the Eye of Horus." Despite his worry, Abner wasn't giving in that easily.
"Ah, yes Abner. But who said I was going to kill you?" His evil dark eyes glared at Indy. Then, Indy started to feel strange. The room was revolving around him, everything was a dark blur. He found himself face to face with a....

BrodyIsDead

.....another ghost from his past in the form of an old English gentleman he saw buried little over a decade ago.

"M-Marcus?" Indy was bewildered. The room span and span around the two old friends.

But Marcus Brody didn't reply. He put his hand into his blazer and pulled out a knife.

The ghostly voice of the leader of the sect rang around the walls of the chamber. "Who said I was going to kill YOU, Abner...? Jones shall be sacrificed unless you name your successor, and name him now!"

Marcus Brody stepped closer to Indiana Jones and the torch flames glinted their reflections across the length of his knife. He lunged at the face of the dazed archaologist.

"Indy!!!" screamed Marion.

But it was too late...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Indy was barely breathing, choking on air. Marion ran to him, holding him, trying to get him back to the real world. She felt his soul was starting to leave him into whatever happens after death. There was only one thing to do. She looked up at her father.
"Name me your successor, Dad. I don't want to see Indy die. I WON'T ALLOW IT!!" she cried to him.
"But, Marion... Do you any idea what you'll put yourself through if you do. Indy isn't like us. I have seen the future, Marion. He is meant to die before you." Abner replied.
"I don't give a damn, Dad! I'm not a little girl anymore! I know the consequences. I have seen it all my life, in case you haven't noticed."
Abner sighed. David was still in his trance, Indy was barely alive and conscious.
"Fine, David. I, Abner Ravenwood name my successor to be of my bloodline. I claim my daughter, Marion to take my place as an Eye of Horus, til she one day finds an heir of blood or prophecy when her time has ended." David was out of his trance. A rush of wind filled the room with Abner's words echoing. A glow came off Abner and waqs passed to Marion. The wind died down and Abner slumped to the ground, convulsing in pain. Marion checked on Indy. He was dead. But, now she didn't seemed too worried. She was now an Eye of Horus and had everything that came with it. Including the power to bend the rules of time and space.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Don't worry I can fix it.....I hope.....

Well, not really a power. thought Marion. More like knowledge. But hey to some that is power. Marion leaned over to a sack on Abner's belt. She pulled out golden bits of plant. More like a herb. She crushed it in her hands and put it in her mouth. She positioned her face above Indy's and exhaled. A golden breath transferred from her mouth to Indy's. His face glowed for a moment. Indy was beginning to breathe again. He opened his eyes to see Marion looking down at him.
"Nice to see you're among the living again, Indiana Jones," reacted Marion. "I can't believe that stuff actually works."
"What stuff, Marion?" asked Indy groggily. He looked around as his eyes cleared up even more to see the Eye of Lung-kou and Horus were still here.
"I see we still have company, Marion."
"Don't worry about them. Dad named me his successor. They won't be able to do anything to you as long as I live. However, Dad.... Well, you probably don't want to know".....

BrodyIsDead

sorry it's been a while, here's my new bit...

Indy looked back at Abner. Silent tears filled his eyes but didn't roll down his face. David and his henchmen surrounded Indy's old mentor and Marion screamed - "Dad!!!"

Indy tried to get up but his head was still buzzing, he slumped back down to the ground to see the dark sect members going out of a door which he didn't recall being at the back of the room before. Abner was enveloped in their cloaks and David said "You'll find peace at last, Abner..." as he slammed the heavy door behind them.

Marion sobbed. Indy sat up, gaining more balance with every second. He took out his revolver and opened the barrel, spinning the bullets in their housing to check he didn't need to reload.

"Right, let's get after them." He snapped the revolver shut once more. Marion sniffed, looking at Indy with little hope left in her eyes. "Marion... if they didn't kill Abner here, there's still a chance we can save him. I've seen enough of these hokey religions to know there's probably some convoluted ceremony in some dark, dank temple where they have to take him to get rid of him properly."

Indy wiped away the single tear that now rolled down Marion's face. "This is the part we used to love best, remember? The chase is on"...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Marion got to her feet. Indy was right. They had to help him. Not matter the likelihood of his death. Indy could see Marion had toughened her resolve and they begun to move quicky after the Eye of Lung-Kou. As they ran through the door, gun shots were being fired at them. Indy and Marion kept close to the walls of the dark corridor and continued to pursue the Eye of Lung-Kou. Indy and Marion fired back blindly in the darkness hoping it will hit the villains. Then a loud booming noise wailed through the corridor and the corridor's walls began to cave in......

BrodyIsDead

...the adventure continues...

"Don't worry!" shouted Indy as he took a deep breath to elongate his body in the narrowing corridor. "I've been in tighter spots than this before!"

Marion clung onto Indy's arm. "Yeah, but you were at least 50lbs lighter then!"

"That's what I always liked about you!" shouted Indy, using his whip to lasoo onto beams of wood, high above them in the shadows. "You always have a joke for every occasion, no matter how serious!"

Marion put her arms around her old friend and he began to climb up and up, up above the walls which were rumbling in on one another. They were on a wooden ledge and could hear screams from below as David's henchmen were crushed in the carnage of stone and dust.

"Indy, there's a light over there, see?" whispered Marion.

They crawled towards the light and pushed open a wooden shutter to reveal daylight which was almost blinding for a moment.

Car horns and chattering from the markets were all around them. "It just leads back onto the street." Marion sounded disheartened. "We'll never find my father now..."

"Don't worry," Indy put his hand on her shoulder. "I've got an old friend who lives in this very district and I've been meaning to look him up for a long while. He'll be around 40 now and he's never "Short" on the local gossip that goes on in the underworld "Round" here...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Why Short Round?

Marion and Indy climbed out into the street. After looking for any sign of the police and the Eye of Lung-Kou, they walked on down the street.
"So who's this friend of yours?" Marion asked.
"An orphan I adopted for a "short" time. His name is Short Round. He was a kid on the street when I adopted him. I caught him trying to pick my pocket. His family were killed when the Japanese bombed Shanghai." Indy replied.
"Didn't know you were the fatherly type, Indy." Marion joked.
"I suppose the next thing you're going to ask is why I didn't get married and settle down or at least get a mother for him."Indy responded.
"Right you are."
"Oh yeah, well what about you?" Indy asked defensely.
"I was always too busy. Besides there wasn't really anyone for me. I like things to be simple. I have my nightclub that I enjoy running and I helped Dad where ever I could."
Indy stopped in front of a strangely red bricked building, with a large faded sign, "Shorty's School of Marital Arts."
"This is the place."

BrodyIsDead

Raven patrons, remember, everyone is welcome to contribute to this story!

Inside the school was a large training room, each wall of the room held long open windows where people outside could peer in to see the experts at work.

In the centre of the training floor stood a huge man dressed in a red gi with his back to Marion and Indy, who waited in silence by the main entrance. Seven other men dressed in white gi's circles him while drums beat rhythmically in all corners of the room.

Marion tugged at Indy's arm. "Which one is this Shortie guy?" she whispered.

Suddenly there was a loud shriek and the seven men lunged and kicked at the solitary man dressed in red. He ducked and parried, rolled and jumped, dodging every single one of their attacks. Two of the white-dressed men were thrown to the floor in what seemed to be a single blow. Then a third, and a fourth. And then the remaining three appeared to pause in their attack. The man in red took every advantage of this hesitation and span round in the air, knocking all three to training mat.

The drums fell silent and the crowds peering in from the street outside were frozen, open-mouthed.

Marion's grip fell from Indy's arm. "That's Shortie, isn't it?" she said in a louder voice.

The man in red span around as if defending another attack. Sweat dripped from his face and he marched angrily over to the main entrance. "Shortie is a name I haven't heard in a long time, Miss."

"You liked it once, if I recall." said Indy in a dry voice.

"I did, but it grew tiresome when the rich American kids at that boarding school you sent me to used it to ridicule me."

Marion was unsure if Shortie was happy to see Indy. The two men stared at one another for a while. Marion watched the seven injured men slowly and painfully picking themselves up from the training mat and wondered if she should get out the pistol she kept hidden in her left stocking.

But then Shortie and Indy began to laugh uncontrollably, clasping each other by their forearms. "Fortune!" said Shortie.

"And glory!" replied Indy.

"What in Manhattan are you two talking about?" asked Marion. She went over to a table on the other side of the room. "Let's sit down and talk, OK? I need a drink!"

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Iwonder if the other memebers read this thread....

The three sat down at a table in a adjacent small kitchen. Shorty put down three glases and a bottle of whiskey.
"I didn't quite catch your name, madam." Shorty begun.
"My name is Marion Ravenwood," she answered. Indy wondered if he should say anything about his association with her but he figured that Shorty could work that out for himself. Then again, even Indy himself couldn't quite work out where he stood in Marion's eyes. In fact, he really didn't where he stood anywhere anymore. He had seemed so sure, all those years ago when Shorty was his adopted son, running around the globe on their adventures.
"And how do you two know each other?"
This time Indy answered.
"Long story. Basically, I've known Marion since my days at the University of Chicago. I studied under her father, Abner. Besides, to be honest with you, Shorty, we are not here for a friendly visit."
"It never is with you, Indy."

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
"I know how you feel, Shorty." Marion answered.
"Anyway, Shorty we're in a bit of trouble. I don't suppose you know about the Eye of Lung Kou?" asked Indy.
"Yeah. A bunch of madmen archaeologists, who believe that they are descendents of the Spiritual Guardians. Not just in Ancient China but everywhere else in the ancient world." Shorty answered.
"You know too much. Only someone who's encountered them or is somehow related would know that much." Marion replied darkly.
"I have encountered them recently. That's true. Of course, none could match my skill. They're based at an ancient Confuscian temple in the north. At the mountain range. No one's brave or stupid enough to face them."Shorty explained.
Marion just glared and replied, "Until now."